PDA

View Full Version : Growing Out Pixie - One Year Later

HairFaerie
May 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I can't believe it has been one year already! Wow!

Last year, in May, I decided to do the blonde pixie.
Here is the photographic evidence!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=11774&attachmentid=11003http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11003&d=1400366394

I was OK with it for a few months, but then regretted it and decided I wanted to grow it out. The blonde was very hard to maintain, not to mention very damaging! I dyed it close to my original color. I did have lots of trims between pixie and shoulder. i am glad I did that because it helped me get through otherwise awkward stages.

Here is my hair currently:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11005&d=1400367547
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11004&d=1400367545

All in all, I am pretty happy with it. I know I have to make some changes in my routine/care as it gets longer. I have to start seriously thinking about this and what I am going to do/not do.

I do not dye or bleach any more. I have some *sparklies*! I quite like them, actually!

I will only be getting trims from now on as needed since the mullet stage is OVER! I will only have it trimmed to shape it up (I do not want an even hemline when it is long) or if it gets dry at the very ends. Other than that...no trims for me!

I have a lofty goal of APL by Christmas 2014. I hope I can make it! :)

This is my third attempt to grow out and I usually end up caving in May and getting a pixie cut. Since I am very happy with my hair this time, I am pretty sure I can stave off any temptations to do it this year...

My only challenge at the moment is not being able to do too many styles. Still not long enough. Plus, I know updos give me a headache. I will eventually be able to do a low pony and braid, but no buns or anything that pulls it up too high.

Thank you, LHC for everything! It really is a fun journey!

two_wheels
May 17th, 2014, 05:16 PM
You are doing really well! Stick with it, the next bit is a bit annoying because you don't see the progress down your face. But it is also less annoying because you can put it up. If you get aches from updos, do a braid, they are really gentle. Keep on trucking :)

jacqueline101
May 17th, 2014, 05:33 PM
You're doing really well. Maybe you can join the no trims thread it's great over there we really help each other through the temptation of cutting.

HairFaerie
May 17th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Thank you both!
Your growing out pixie journey is coming along great two_wheels! :)

two_wheels
May 17th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Hey, thanks! I am ignoring the length except on the 1st of each month ;) did you join the shoulder-APL thread? I'm on phone so can't browse back that far!

HairFaerie
May 17th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Yes! I joined that thread. I also created an APL by Christmas 2014 thread! :)

roseomalley
May 17th, 2014, 06:01 PM
HairFaerie, I think you have done remarkably well! You have shaped it up and it looks healthy.

HairFaerie
May 17th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Thank you, roseomalley! The trims helped a lot! :)

HairFaerie
May 17th, 2014, 06:27 PM
That piece sticking down on the side view looks longer that the rest but it isn't! My hair is wavy and sometimes pieces can get a bit out of line at times! LOL!

Loviatar
May 17th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Good growing there! We are at similar stages. I had a seriously short pixie in March 2013, have had a year of doing nothing but shampoo bars and CO washes (plus two cassias) and my avatar is about an inch shorter than I am at now.

Two_wheels I should learn how to do a sig pic progress bar like yours, it's very cool.

My plan is to continue my routine but improve my diet as well as getting more water, protein and a hair/skin supplement.

Happy growing!

spidermom
May 17th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Nice progress from pixie so far.

HairFaerie
May 17th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Very awesome, Loviatar! Happy growing to you too!

It's great to see people who have grown from pixie. It gives me hope!

Thank you, Spidermom!

Lucky_Lucy
May 17th, 2014, 07:34 PM
That's some great progress :)Your hair looks fabulous. You looked great with a pixie too, but I think you could rock just about any length[don't give in and cut your hair anytime soon! XD].

As for updos, I'm sorry I can't suggest anything for your length. When my hair was SL, it was also iii, so it was too thick for mostly any updo(and at CBL, nothing would hold without a gazillion bobby pins); I just did a lot of halfups. As for updos giving you a headache - are you sure you haven't pulled them too tight? Or too high? That's usually what gave me a headache. Though maybe you have a very sensitive scalp. There are a few updos I guess that aren't as tightly pulled as others, like a LWB.

Happy growing :)

HairFaerie
May 17th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Thank you, Lucy!

I might just have a sensitive scalp. I remember when I used to have long hair I would try half updos (secured loosely with a comb or nice clip) but after several hours, the dull headache would start. :( As soon as it is long enough, I will do some experimenting. Hopefully I come up with something that will work for me.

ErinLeigh
May 17th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Very nice. You hair looks really pretty.

MungoMania
May 18th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Nice progress from pixie so far.

Definitely, You've made some amazing progress growing from a pixie. Now just hang tough re: not cutting and you'll reach your Christmas goal.

Charybdis
May 18th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I might just have a sensitive scalp. I remember when I used to have long hair I would try half updos (secured loosely with a comb or nice clip) but after several hours, the dull headache would start. :( As soon as it is long enough, I will do some experimenting. Hopefully I come up with something that will work for me.

I could never get comfy updos with combs or clips either (unless it was just a tiny, lightweight plastic clip pulling the front part of my hair out of my face). I've had much better success with forks and sticks, but you will need more hair before you can do much with those. My most comfy updos so far are nautilus buns placed low on the head, held with two thin sticks plus additional U-shaped pins to keep the ends from springing loose. I started being able to do these around BSL by making a nautilus bun with about two-thirds of my hair using sticks, and then sectioning the remaining third in two and winding the two sections around the bun, securing with a few pins. The trick to making a nautilus bun at shorter lengths is to loop the hair around two fingers rather than a whole hand, and then gently pull through *just* enough extra length into the loop that you can secure it using a stick.

My hair is really thick and BSL is really long on me (tall plus long torso); with your finer hair, you can probably use forks and sticks long before I could. Good luck!

Johannah
May 18th, 2014, 01:53 AM
Great progress! You'll be at TBL in no time!

two_wheels
May 18th, 2014, 02:45 AM
Two_wheels I should learn how to do a sig pic progress bar like yours, it's very cool.
Thanks! I use gimp to create a filmstrip, it then resizes pics without me having to think too hard... I find it very motivating :)

snuflan
May 18th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Wow that is some awesome progress! :)

HairFaerie
May 18th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement and support! :)

Beckstar
May 18th, 2014, 09:13 AM
The pink in the bangs was really cute but your hair now is gorgeous, That's a lot of serious growth. Keep up the good work.

HairFaerie
May 18th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Thank you, Beckstar.
Yes, I did have a lot of fun with the hair chalk in the blonde pixie! That bleach was just sooooo damaging and since my hair grows so fast, my roots would show a lot in two weeks and the upkeep on it was crazy! Just thankful my hair grows pretty fast and I was able to trim the damage off while it was still short! :)

AmyBeth
May 18th, 2014, 12:14 PM
It's grown out very nicely! You are coming into a very versatile length, it seems to me. You can do styles that are harder once your hair gets really long. You can do French twists, for sure, held in place with a ficcare or flexi-8. You can do a Gibson tuck with your length, I think. You can do a tucked French braid too. You can get unobtrusive bobby pins to hold the shorter layers in place. I think learning new styles and investing in some new hair toys will help to alleviate the urge to cut, if you really want to continue to grow. You've definitely gotten past the really irksome phases of the grow out.

two_wheels
May 18th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I think your scalp will adjust by the way. When I had longer hair I was fine with updos, now I cut and am growing back I get a slight headache at the end of the day. Braids or quattro sticks (light and slim) work for me on those days. But I am hoping to get used to it soon, and I'm sure it's possible that you will too.

browneyedsusan
May 18th, 2014, 03:55 PM
:applause:
Very well done!

Your follicles will adjust to updos if you keep after it. When I started growing, I got a splitting headache the first time I clipped back my bangs! (After 10 minutes with one, teensy bobbypin??? How sensitive can a head be?) Just keep putting it up, and soon you'll find yourself eating supper, with your morning updo still in place!

It looks great. Love your color and texture. You'll be at APL in no time! :)

HairFaerie
May 18th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Thank you broweyedsusan! I love watching your journey from pixie! We were about the same for a awhile last year until I chopped. I am not chopping this year and maybe next year I will be BSL at this time! I can't wait!

I didn't think my hair was long enough but tonight I did a topsy tail kind of thing. (A low ponytail and then made a hole in the middle and looped it through). It actually stayed and it's been about an hour so far with no headache. So exited! My husband loved it (he loves the pixie on me). I told him I can have the best of both worlds now. With short hair though, you don't have many options.

I also tried a Gibson tuck but the ends were sticking out everywhere. Might have to wait a few months for that one. Tried the French twist too but it looked very messy. Have to practice that one a bit more!