PDA

View Full Version : Post your biggest split ends

TrapperCreekD
May 16th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Last Saturday I sat down for a much needed S&D session. Most of my splits are y's and a few three prong-ers, so imagine my surprise when I found a monster of a split end with seven... yes, seven... prongs! :bigeyes: :scared: Luckily it was a "tree" and not long mid-shaft splits.

What's the biggest split end you've come across?

Nadine <3
May 16th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I've only ever found 2 prong splits. Tiny little things. I really don't get many, so S&D is pretty pointless for me... I tried it but I could never find any lol

mira-chan
May 16th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Is this big enough? :D

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/hair%20styles/nov07scarysplit.jpg

Valkyriejae
May 16th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I get these splits that are kind of feathered - lots of little splits coming all off a main strand. I've found ones where the main strand(from where the splits start to the end of the longest part) was 5inches!

MINAKO
May 16th, 2014, 09:19 PM
I used to have some split ends as a kid, when i was washing with shampoo every other day and used tons of gel but nothing to condition my hair. Never found more than three progers tho. Nowadays i don't get any splits at all and in case a hair is broken off, it looks like its cut. I'm thankful because i'm way too lazy to S&D, but then again i think i do invest alot of time in prevention so it's not like i ain't working hard. :toofers:

TheHowlingWolf
May 16th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I don't understand how people don't get split ends lol. I baby my hair like it's made out of golden silk & I still get splits!

mira-chan
May 16th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I don't understand how people don't get split ends lol. I baby my hair like it's made out of golden silk & I still get splits!
I don't get split ends until sit on length/ classic range. I have very coarse hair that can handle a lot of things plus I've never used any kind of heat/ non-henna color on it. Even then at classic length splits start showing up due to hair age and well, occasionally sitting on it doesn't help.

Lizzie_Bennet
May 17th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I get these splits that are kind of feathered - lots of little splits coming all off a main strand. I've found ones where the main strand(from where the splits start to the end of the longest part) was 5inches!

I usually find two- or three-pronged splits, but now and again, I find the kind you mentioned. I'm always rather impressed and horrified when I find them. I always end up staring and poking at them after I've cut it off! :lol:

dancingrain91
May 17th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I found one that was a five ot so pronged split with a fairy knot halfway up it and the damage stretched over three or four inches. I felt really bad for that hair.

YamaMaya
May 18th, 2014, 04:56 AM
The worst I've found was a hair that was pretty much damaged all the way up, it came out in the shower, but it was one of those sort of unnaturally thick hairs that are about to split. I really don't find many splits in my hair, it's mostly little bent ends and crinkly ends I have to cut off. Occasionally I'll see the "thickened" ends of a hair just about to split but never a full on split. I sometimes wonder if I should get a high powered magnifying glass as I feel I may be missing something.

TrapperCreekD
May 18th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Is this big enough? :D

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/hair%20styles/nov07scarysplit.jpg

:tmi: I've seen a couple of those! As Lizzie_Bennet said, when I find an impressive split I'm always torn between, wow, my hair did that and Yikes! My poor hair did that!

grimsqueaker
May 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I once found a six prong split, with three more up around the middle of the shaft. I immediately snipped it right off!

Hele
May 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM
today i found a split end that had a split end. Talk about overkill!

LauraLongLocks
May 24th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Just two prong splits mostly. I do sometimes have one that feathers up the strand two or three splits though. Actually, lately I'm only finding an occasional actual split and mostly white-dot ends that are about to split. I do a judgement call on those whether I trim or not.

Dessi
May 24th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Just two prong splits mostly. I do sometimes have one that feathers up the strand two or three splits though. Actually, lately I'm only finding an occasional actual split and mostly white-dot ends that are about to split. I do a judgement call on those whether I trim or not.

Same here. I used to have lots of splits (all kinds) but I did two serious S&D sessions and now I can see my hair is so much better than before. And since I gave up on blow dryer completely and started wearing it up (3-4 months ago I guess) I don't see that much damage. White dots or two prong splits.

MandyBeth
May 25th, 2014, 01:20 AM
My drapes don't get split ends. My guess is being cat fine, the strands snap off before splitting.

The carpet however gets the redwood sized tree splits. I claim it's proof that conditioner is needed and mechanical damage is evil.

YamaMaya
May 25th, 2014, 07:09 AM
My drapes don't get split ends. My guess is being cat fine, the strands snap off before splitting.

The carpet however gets the redwood sized tree splits. I claim it's proof that conditioner is needed and mechanical damage is evil.
The er, carpet? Do you mean you get splits..down there?

MINAKO
May 25th, 2014, 07:47 AM
The er, carpet? Do you mean you get splits..down there?

Wut? Lol... Never crossed my mind to actually look for damage in there, most of the time it gets a buzz cut X'D!

YamaMaya
May 27th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Wut? Lol... Never crossed my mind to actually look for damage in there, most of the time it gets a buzz cut X'D!

Me neither :couch:

Kherome
May 27th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I once found one of those evil tree splits, I think it had 12 different splits working it's way up the hairshaft. Sadly after I cut it off and then pulled all the splits apart for fun...I did not think to take a photo. I remember wondering what the heck happened to that poor hair to make it go to pieces that way!?!