PDA

View Full Version : Up or down for photos?

freznow
September 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Meaning, for example, drivers license photos. ID photos, etc.

Do you wear your hair up or down?

All of the cards in my wallet have the pic with my hair up, even though it looks better down, mostly because it's still just easier, not so much fidgeting and stuff. And it's not like BSL vs. classic really makes a difference, the picture is only of the face anyways.

Today was picture day at school. *bleh*

LeaM07
September 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I was wearing my hair in a braid a few years ago when getting mine taken and was asked to put it on my shoulder so it could be seen in the picture. The person at the DMV seemed to think it was a good idea, as it is a distinguishing feature. Maybe visible long hair is useful as protection against identity theft? :)

1nuitblanche
September 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Here, I think that your ears have to be showing in any id kind of photo. That said, I think that hair looks nicer down in pictures because otherwise it sometimes look like you have either a funny bald spot because of the flash on slicked back hair, or else like you just have really short hair. (Or maybe that's just me?)

JessTheMess
September 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I wore mine down. My hair was shoulder length then, and lots of layers. The picture is actually quite nice. I wish I looked that nice everyday lol

saracuda
September 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I had a half up in my license photo. It looks pretty good, but it was a newlywed, name change license, so I was feeling pretty good! :)

may1em
September 16th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Down. Definitely. I cannot stand having a crappy picture of me be something I need to show to people at demand, and when my hair is down it looks so much nicer. Last time I had to go to the RMV for a new pic, I washed and plopped my hair special so it would look good. I plan on "losing" it shortly before I move to a new state again next year (either back to NY, NJ, or Michigan, depending on what happens with grad school apps) because it's the best license pic ever.

yogachic
September 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I have it down or in a half up for card photos.

Tangles
September 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I can't wear my hair in low buns or ponytails for photos. It makes me look severe (even though this style doesn't look severe on me in real life).

Amoretti
September 17th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I wish I'd worn mine down for my latest ID picture! I wore it up and looked so severe. Sigh.

Arctic_Mama
September 17th, 2008, 04:33 AM
My face is so round I HAVE to wear it down, otherwise I look twenty pounds heavier. Ugh.

Tapioca
September 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I was wearing my hair in a braid a few years ago when getting mine taken and was asked to put it on my shoulder so it could be seen in the picture. The person at the DMV seemed to think it was a good idea, as it is a distinguishing feature. Maybe visible long hair is useful as protection against identity theft? :)

I had something similar when I had my picture taken for my Red Cross card. My hair was loose, but the lady asked me to pull it forward over one shoulder.

Faepirate
September 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I wear my hair down for ID pics. Always.

(But whatever I do it's disastrous, somehow - I have some kind of curse on me when it comes to ID photos, and I'm not kidding! My old passport photo was taken the day I got braces and I looked like an alien. My current passport photo was taken when I was very sick with glandular fever and I was unable to open my eyes more than halfway. I looked absolutely stoned. It's such a HUGE embarrassment having to present it at every job interview. Waaaaaagh.)

KarenLynn
September 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I used to wear mine down for the yearly school photos so I could compare the length later. Of course, that only worked until my hair outgrew the crop of the picture. :lol:

I haven't had any ID card/passport type pictures taken in a couple of years now, so I don't know what I'd do. I'd likely just wear it up, since that's what I usually do. (I also don't mind the way I look with my hair pulled back.) Unless of course I wasn't allowed to. I guess I'll find out in a couple of years, when my passport expires.

Finoriel
September 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM
In my drivers license picture I have 3inch short hair, spiky and standing straight up :lol: not to mention itīs 10 years old. My passport picture is with hair up in a bun. For my ID card itīs down with visible ears, only because they asked me to take it down and behind my ears for the pic. I did not wear it like this normally, but it was one of the requirements (as was not smiling).
For pictures I wear my hair in exactly the way Iīm wearing it in general. Bun mostly or in a braid, which you can not see anyways in a front picture. It looks good, I like it that way and thatīs how I am. And I do not think taking my hair down makes me look "better" in any way, than with my hair up :wink: still same face.

Niphredil
September 18th, 2008, 04:43 AM
With the new ID-photo rules, we can not wear our hair down, unless the ears are visible.
I even know of a lady with a lot of curly hair and relatively flat ears, who had to put something behind her ears because they weren't visible enough. It took her around 5 sets of photographs until they accepted her photo's.
It is even harder with newbornes. They have to look straight into the camera, but you are not allowed to support their heads with your hand :confused:

I hate to have my picture taken, but I soon will have to because I ran out of id-photo's lately.

ETA: id-photo rules (http://www.paspoortinformatie.nl/dsc?c=getobject&s=obj&!sessionid=1bBaqys7l14uVxDU@p5G78Ld!zmM!6Az1JIodrh sUhCt3M4aGxJh@OuGEX@hW9pz&objectid=5126&!dsname=BPRextern&isapidir=/gvisapi/&getastype=PDF) in Dutch. Even if you don't understand Dutch, you can see the pictures for examples....

Medvssa
September 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Always down.

CaityBear
September 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I like to wear mine down for pictures. I rarely look good in pictures with my hair up.

Angellen
September 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I'm another who wears it down of pictures. I look like an alien if I take one of those oh-so-unflattering ones with my hair up. Down is usually okay. :)

alligatorbaby23
September 20th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Yes, UP for ID pics, easier to figure out me. I'm not trying to be someone else! Who could be fooled anyways. :poot:
Half-ups for family pics.
Down for just ME showing off my healthy locks. Okay, maybe I am allowed a wee bit o' brag time for my LHC beautiful hair.
-mao

ETA- /HIJACK/
This guy who I am into has totally rocking hot ears. Who would have thought it, shaved bald makes them so HOT. Sorry Niphredil helped me hijack this thread!
/END HIJACK & CRUSH STUFF!/

alligatorbaby23
September 20th, 2008, 02:22 AM
A little funny side story.
A few years back, I actually found one of those pony hair thingees/ ratt under my seat when I needed to sit down to take my picture for a ID.
I thought some man had actually lost his toupee!

Needless to say I thought it was kinda gross and unsanitary, thank goodness ID pics are taken standing up now, at least where I stay, in Ohio!

Just A Yuck Moment for You All!

Vivien'
September 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I've never thought about it. In a low ponytail, it's the first idea it comes to me.

Gecko
September 20th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I've not had to take any kind of picture yet (since growing my hair long), but I'd definitely wear it down! The hair around my face would make my face look better... then if it was just my face.

cindy58
September 20th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I think I might wear mine down next time. Both my driver's license and my passport have older photos of me with short hair on them (add to that I really dislike the photos). I just used my passport in Aug-Sept and one of the customs guys really gave a double take when I handed it to him.

BunnyBee
September 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
In my passport photo I have short hair and I hate it :( when I next need a photo it'll be down.