PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any tips for camping?

kyle_f
May 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I am going on a camping/backpacking trip for 3.5 days in about a week and was trying to figure out what would be best to deal with my hair. I saw some other threads with info about shampoo etc. but for a couple days I'm not to worried about that. Mostly I am concerned about how to style it as my hair is significantly longer than the last time I did this since it has been about a year and I don't think a ponytail will work too well this time around. I figured a braid would be best probably but my skills are still lacking and my girlfriend isn't coming along to be able to help. Is there anything that would hold for a few days? I am hoping not to come back with a massive rats nest. Thanks in advance and sorry for the ignorance as I am still figuring long hair out.

florenonite
May 16th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I'd suggest learning to braid. There are LOADS of videos on YouTube to help. If you have difficulty doing one at the back of your head, divide your hair in two and do one at either ear.

Anje
May 16th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I'd suggest learning to braid. There are LOADS of videos on YouTube to help. If you have difficulty doing one at the back of your head, divide your hair in two and do one at either ear.

I agree -- this seems like the easiest advice. An attempt or two each day between now and then, and your braiding skills will be pretty decent in week. (And if your braids are still a little wonky, well, you're camping! Wonky hair is part of the experience.)

Failing that, you could ponytail your hair and "catepillar" it. Just add another hairtie every few inches down your hair, to keep it all contained to itself. The trouble is that this requires you to pack and keep track of a lot of hairties.

swearnsue
May 16th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Bring a Tangle Teaser or wide tooth comb. I wouldn't even bother to shampoo if it's only for 3 or 4 days.

If I were going to do that (when hell freezes over) I would wash my hair the night before the trip and use a coney conditioner.

Have fun, BTW!!

velorutionista
May 16th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I'm a fan of keeping hair in braids for this sort of thing, but I also pack a wide tooth comb on camping trips and detangle as needed, then rebraid.

Verdandi
May 16th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I do similar things on regular basis (woods, no running water, no electricity) and I rely on a braid. I usually oil it and then braid with a ribbon. It usually stay put the whole trip :)

Nadine <3
May 16th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I would wash the day before (or morning of, if you have time) and then put it in a braid and leave it for the whole trip. I would probably bring a comb just in case but otherwise I would leave it be for the three days. I've gone camping for 2 weeks already and I just survived with finger combing and rinsing my hair in the lake and re braiding.

sumidha
May 16th, 2014, 12:06 PM
A tight french braid should hold for 3.5 days, especially if you wear a bandana over it to keep things from getting frizzy. Then, oil or condition really well before you try and brush it out at home to preemptively fight any tangles that might want to form. :)

Angela_Rose
May 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Wash before you leave.
Lightly oil and detangle.
Braid the dickens out of that mane.
Cover with a bandana/hat/whatever.
Have fun camping!

Vrindi
May 16th, 2014, 12:33 PM
All of the above, with the braids and the wide-tooth comb for detangling, is excellent advice and just what I've done in the past with perfect results. One more tip, if you do double braids and have a part, make sure to put sunblock on your part if you tend to burn. Or cover your head/hair.

meteor
May 16th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I recommend bringing at least one hair tie, a wide-tooth comb and a hat to protect from sun damage. Learning how to make a simple English braid would be beneficial.

Have fun camping! :D

ashke50
May 16th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I also recommend plaiting the hair and leaving it like that till you return.
I generally have a French plait (which I still can't do myself but my sister is excellent at) and bun the ends during the day. Gets a little fluffy by the end of the trip, but doesn't look too bad.

Have fun!

inanna
May 17th, 2014, 02:51 AM
Guess what I would recommend? That's right, a braid!

I find that Dutch braids hold better in my hair than French braids do, but that might be just my fine slippery hair talking. The last time I went hiking for a week, I combed my hair out each morning and re-did the braid, then covered my head with a Buff. Wearing something comfy over your hair helps you not get twigs in it which I find to be a real benefit.

The best way to go would of course be if you learned to braid, although a braid might well hold for a few days. I'd suggest practising with damp or lightly oiled hair, and without any mirrors. The dampness/oil helps keep the strands separated, and looking in the mirror can be more confusing than helpful. If and when you find a braid you can do with relative ease, just stick with that!

butter52
May 17th, 2014, 03:02 AM
If you don't manage braids you can always do a simple bun and fix it a bit in the mornings if you need.
Have fun!

Youngjae
May 17th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Hmm... Well I'm going on a hike at the end of this year and was thinking about what to do with my hair, I think I will do two braids down the front as my pack will smush my hair if I put it up or have a single braid. Before I leave I will probably oil it and just rebraid it in the mornings

kyle_f
May 18th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the tips, have been practicing my braiding and hopefully will have it down to a level functional for activity by the end of the week.

Panth
May 19th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Oh -- if it does get super-tangly, don't attempt to get the tangles out while camping. Comb the rest (gently) and maybe shove a bandana or hat over it if it looks too bad. Then, once home, get in the shower, slather it in a LOT of coney conditioner and very gently comb out the tangles either with a wide-toothed comb (not a wood one) or with your fingers. You'll rip out the least amount of hair that way. (This is my friends' post-mosh-pit/headbanging detangling method ;))

Good luck!

kyle_f
May 24th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys, braiding worked real well.

ExpectoPatronum
May 25th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I go camping quite often in the summer. I pretty much live in braids. There are a ton of great youtube tutorials out there and it's really fun to learn new styles! Buns work too.

I definitely recommend bringing a comb so you can restyle your hair in the morning. Personally, I wouldn't bother with oiling it because oils attract dirt. You can always oil it when you get home and let it soak.

I second putting sunblock on any parts in your hair. I've gotten more than one sunburn on my scalp and it's not fun to deal with.

Have fun! :cool:

Edited: It seems you already went...That's what I get for not reading all the way through. :) My bad, it's been a long day. Glad braiding worked for you!!

kyle_f
May 27th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I go camping quite often in the summer. I pretty much live in braids. There are a ton of great youtube tutorials out there and it's really fun to learn new styles! Buns work too.

I definitely recommend bringing a comb so you can restyle your hair in the morning. Personally, I wouldn't bother with oiling it because oils attract dirt. You can always oil it when you get home and let it soak.

I second putting sunblock on any parts in your hair. I've gotten more than one sunburn on my scalp and it's not fun to deal with.

Have fun! :cool:

Edited: It seems you already went...That's what I get for not reading all the way through. :) My bad, it's been a long day. Glad braiding worked for you!!

It's all good. I learned about sunblock on the part the hard way :(, burned one part the first day and a second the next. Sometimes being new to long hair sucks since I don't know what questions to ask, but most of the time it's awesome.