PDA

View Full Version : Drying in the winter

bunnii
September 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The thread on how long it takes your hair to dry got me thinking, with energy prices going through the roof how am I going to dry my hair without getting ill from it being so cold in my flat and having wet hair? Using the heating isn't going to be an option for me and BF most of the time, i'm already wearing jumpers and leggings to bed :rolleyes: we just don't have the money for heating espesially with food prices going up aswell.

Whats the best way to keep warm and dry my hair?

ETA: I don't own a hairdryer and I don't want one :p

1nuitblanche
September 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Maybe wearing a hat? Or, several hats so that you can replace wet and damps ones with dry ones? I've worn tuques to sleep on many occasions (although never in conjunction with wet hair because I've never gotten my hair that wet when camping below freezing), know others who have also, and one of my friends always wears a hat while his hair is drying, even if that means wearing a hat for part of the day. But most of our heat escapes through our head, so that should help.

misstwist
September 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Time for a sebum only experiment?

yogachic
September 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I freeze from September to May & wear long sleeve shirts with a zippered sweatshirt over. I bundle up in a robe and pants, and I dry my hair by keeping it in a towel, for at least 1-2 hours after a shower. This keeps cold breezes at bay.

Kirin
September 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'd recommend like the above a towel wrapped on the head for 1-2 hours, or even more. A microfiber towel might work better than a regular terry one too.

Another tip, change towels! During the dry process have two towels, one to first wrap up, and a second to re-wrap the hair once the first gets over damp and chilly, it will keep you much warmer.

psycho
September 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
My idea was a microfiber towel as suggested above.

Alternatively...I end up drying with a blanket wrapped around me :P. Granted, I'm a full-time at-home freelancer so I can sit in the steamy comfort of a nice blanket all day while my hair dries if I have to, my work is all done from the computer chair ;).

I've also tried having a crib blanket across my back (towels work great if your hair doesn't reach past them) and then drape a towel loosely over my head so it keep heat in a bit and still lets moisture out.

That said...I actually avoid getting my hair wet in the winter like the plague and washings go WAY down...of course, my sewer line is down AGAIN so I'm in the middle of an involuntary sebum-only experiment AGAIN, so maybe by the time winter hits I won't want to wash it anyway :p

Katze
September 17th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I wash nights because I shower nights - especially in the winter, I like to go to bed clean and warm, though I do wash less in winter than in summer.

It is always very cold and damp here. I'm always cold, so when I wash my hair, I make sure to bundle up extra warm and either go straight to bed (with a towel between still-damp hair and pillow) or cuddle on the couch with blankets and even a hot water bottle, cup of tea, etc. In addition to a towel on my head, I will also cover it with the hood of my hoodie (thanks Spidermom) or even a hat or Buff. Since Buffs fall off my head in regular use (so much for being for sports!) this is the best use I get out of them.

Also, I do sometimes "cheat" and blowdry just a little when my hair is almost dry, focusing on scalp and ears. If my ears are wet and get cold I get terrible earaches very easily, and I don't think blowdrying on low once a month or so for less than 5 minutes is a great sin.

I could not imagine showering mornings and going out of the house with damp skin and hair! Brrrr! Since I bike to work quite early, I have to have a hot breakfast, dress warmly ("start warm, stay warm") and then get to work, often before sunup, nicely warm from the ride. Adding wet hair to that would make me freeze, brrr!

minkstole
September 17th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I too wash at night and bike to work. If I feel too warm when arriving, I just take a quick shower when I get there (w/O the hair washing).

I second (third?) the microfibertowel as it cuts down on time. Maybe you could stretch out the time between washings?

shrimp
September 17th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I wash in the evening. Change towels a few times, wet braid at a apoint where there is enough time for my roots to dry before bed and then flip my braid over my pillow so it's not touching me.

It's usually not dry by the morning, but as long as the roots are and I can keep my braid off me it's ok.

I feel your pain though! I woke up at about 4 last night shivering becuase I was so cold, and that was with dry hair.

bunnii
September 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks for your relpies, I got some great ideas! :flowers:

I've got a few hoodies for the winter, i'm normally sat at the computer with a tshirt and a hoodie, if it's really cold i'll wear a hat under the hood too, warm trousers tucked into cosy sock and I wear gloves in the winter :D So I think i'm going to get my microfiber towel hair thingie and put it on after drying with the towel and put as many clothes on as I can. It actually sounds nice :cloud9: and when I do wash at night which will probably be most of the time i'll do the braid thing and put a towel on my pillow.

ChloeDharma
September 17th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I'm in a similar situation now that i'm living back at my dads. My old flat had heating included in the rent so it made no difference if i had the heating on full 24/7 or not at all money wise. But here it just eats up the gas credit.
The towel idea is a good one, what i do though is keep it in a towel until it stops dripping then put it in a bun. My roots dry quite quick then the length is kept off of me and though it's wet/damp in the bun doesn't make me cold.
I'm sure i've gone out in winter before doing this and i *think* it worked.

Curlsgirl
September 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I usually wash as early in the afternoon when I get home as possible which is sometimes as early as 4:00. I put it up in a MF towel and then diffuse with a blow dryer sometimes 1/3 or 1/2 way underneath so it doesn't frizz. I can't leave it up in anything or it's awful looking when I take it down so I let it dry by itself. I only wash once a week so it's not that big of a problem anymore. I cannot wash in the morning either! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!