PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a flaky scalp/dandruff?

Jonquil
May 15th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes...

This question is for my boyfriend! :)
He's had a flaky/dandruff-y scalp for almost a year now and I'd like to ask if anyone knows how to treat it without resorting to harsh medicated shampoos and whatnot. His hair is very thick and curly. I'd classify it as 3b/C/iii. It's also very dry but I've heard that curly-haired people usually have dry hair due to sebum not being able to travel down the length of the hair, necessitating the use of deep conditioning and whatnot... but obviously he doesn't do any of that because he's a guy who doesn't know anything about hair care lol.

Well, the thing is that he's recently cut his hair short and the flakiness of his scalp is actually really visible once you notice it. It was always longer before and the curls covered everything up. So he asked me what I think he should do (he knows I get very excited about hair care now) and I don't know much. The one thing I suggested was that I could do some hot oil scalp massages for him. That would help to moisturize the scalp a bit, right?

Any advice is much appreciated! :D

meteor
May 15th, 2014, 09:34 PM
The one thing I suggested was that I could do some hot oil scalp massages for him. That would help to moisturize the scalp a bit, right?

Good suggestion! :D I understand that he doesn't want to be bothered with any topical treatments or conditioners, but I can't imagine a man who would refuse to get a scalp massage from his girlfriend! :)

Dandruff is a very common symptom of many problems (xerosis, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, etc). Ideally, he should go to a family doctor or a dermatologist to get a diagnosis before putting anything new on scalp. But if that's impossible, try to avoid oils rich in oleic acid: it was proven to feed fungus Malassezia - an extremely common cause of dandruff due to seborrheic dermatitis, so I can't recommend olive oil, almond oil and many others.
I would use essential oils like tea tree oil, oregano, cedarwood, basis, bay, lavender... or one of many other anti-fungal EOs, diluted in coconut oil, castor oil or some other oil you can get. How is he will smells? If he can handle a really bad-smelling oil to get awesome results quickly, I'd highly recommend neem oil. It's PERFECT for problematic scalps!

Rinses/washes with aloe vera and honey should help get a relief, too!

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Good suggestion! :D I understand that he doesn't want to be bothered with any topical treatments or conditioners, but I can't imagine a man who would refuse to get a scalp massage from his girlfriend! :)

Dandruff is a very common symptom of many problems (xerosis, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, etc). Ideally, he should go to a family doctor or a dermatologist to get a diagnosis before putting anything new on scalp. But if that's impossible, try to avoid oils rich in oleic acid: it was proven to feed fungus Malassezia - an extremely common cause of dandruff due to seborrheic dermatitis, so I can't recommend olive oil, almond oil and many others.
I would use essential oils like tea tree oil, oregano, cedarwood, basis, bay, lavender... or one of many other anti-fungal EOs, diluted in coconut oil, castor oil or some other oil you can get. How is he will smells? If he can handle a really bad-smelling oil to get awesome results quickly, I'd highly recommend neem oil. It's PERFECT for problematic scalps!

Rinses/washes with aloe vera and honey should help get a relief, too!

What a great post!
There not a lot to add.
My DH uses a spikey round plastic scalp scrubber he got from the dollar store to properly clean his scalp.
His dandruff might get better on its own since he cut his hair.
Jason's has a great anti dandruff shampoo.
Meteor is absolutely right in that a lot depends on what type of dandruff it is.
Not all dandruff is the same. Some is from just dry skin , some is from a fungus so its best to know this before deciding on a treatment. If it is from a fungus then the oils mentioned above work great. They can be rubbed into the scalp itself in a carrier oil or added to shampoo for cleansing. Some other natural things will eliminate fungus;
- apple cider vinegar
- lemon or lime juice
- boric acid or borax
-sea salt
-original listerine
- neem oil but this stuff stinks
- peppermint oil

Some people are sensitive to SLS in soaps and shampoos.
He might want to try a SLS free shampoo.
Bar shampoos are great for this type of thing.

Good luck

MismaMuerte
May 16th, 2014, 03:42 AM
You might also try the coal tar shampoos-although those come with a caveat.
They are super heavy duty, but may be a bit harsh on the hair, and tar has carcinogenic properties, so extended use is not recommended =(
Most available on drugstores are about 5% tar, but your doctor can prescribe 10% ones as well.

Tini'sNewHair
May 16th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Saving this thread to my favorites :)

SkyChild
May 16th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Brilliant - I was going to ask this for my husband, who is still completely ignoring my warning that Head & shoulders is making his dandruff worse!
I massaged in some coconut oil and it helped for a bit. Going to try and add some EO next time

Jonquil
May 16th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies! He's a sucker for scalp massages so it shouldn't be too difficult to sneak in some helpful EOs when he's least expecting it.

Brilliant - I was going to ask this for my husband, who is still completely ignoring my warning that Head & shoulders is making his dandruff worse!
I massaged in some coconut oil and it helped for a bit. Going to try and add some EO next time

I KNOW! My BF insists on using Head & Shoulders too and it's obviously not working haha. I will try coconut oil as well.