PDA

View Full Version : Giving up dye/ growing out- suggestions

huckleberry
May 15th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Hey guys, after a really bad experience with hair dye and a hairdresser 2 months ago I decided to stop dying my hair and let my natural colour grow out... I realize I'm only just starting out and I have a long way to go. The problem I am having is the current colour my hair was dyed I do not like one bit and it looks pretty bad... I don't know if I should just put up with it until I can cut all the dye and damage away (which will be a while as I'm not willing to do a big chop and have no hair!) or if I should get a hairdresser to dye my hair as close to possible as my natural colour... my hair grows quiet fast so I have a bit of regrowth already and can see my natural colour. Does anyone have suggestions? Or experiences? Thanks in advance :)

meteor
May 15th, 2014, 08:05 PM
If you really dislike the look of growing out roots, I'd go with your second option. When you set up an appointment with a hairdresser, state very clearly that you want to avoid damage. Also, bring pictures of the exact look you want to get. It will be so much easier to grow out dye when it's somewhat matched to your natural color.
Also, coconut oil pre-bleach/dye is a good thing to try.

Simone_Fatale
May 15th, 2014, 08:13 PM
One of my dearest friends went through the same thing. She dyed her hair as close to natural, the color eventually gradually washed off into an ombre which happened to be gaining popularity at the time. Not a bad way to grow out dyed hair. :)

blue_eyes
May 15th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Ugh, I'm growing out dye right now (9 months in) and it ain't pretty hahaha. My dyed hair is so damaged that I'm too terrified to try and get a color correction done to match it to my roots, but if your hair is in relatively good shape then I think that's the best option. If you don't mind me asking, what color is your dye, and what's your natural color?

I wish you luck on your journey to dye-free! It can be pretty difficult at times but there's a lot of encouragement on these forums :)

huckleberry
May 16th, 2014, 04:31 AM
blue_eyes I am in a similar situation as you! My dyed hair is damaged, not terrible, but I am scared that a colour correction will be the end of it!
I have dry hair at the moment, my scalp included. I used to get quiet greasy on the scalp, but since my last (disaster) visit to the hairdresser in an attempt to go lighter it's been dry.

I am naturally a light brown, I call it mousey brown. The dyed bits are blonde hightlights and brown. The other day a friend commented she thought it had a green tinge to it! :-( So that just made it even worse lol

Some days I look in the mirror and I think, it's not that bad really. Then I have days, like today, where I want to curl up and disappear.
If I can't do a colour correction I am hoping by December I will have a fair bit of regrowth and I'm chopping the rest off. I've never had short hair so anything shoulder length seems really short to me lol

abauer789
May 16th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I can relate to the green tinge - for me it is the left over of a couple dark ash blonde low lights my old hair dresser put in to break up the demarcation line. Big mistake! I have about an inch left to cut off and I will be free of the green! Just keep thinking of the end result! You will have gorgeous natural hair and you have come so far!
Are you using any leave in repair conditioner on the damaged parts? That helped my damaged hair look almost human throughout the process.
Hang in there!! You will find lots of support here!:blossom:

robijntje
May 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
i should dye it to your natural colour.. if your hair can take the damage.. half year ago i decided i give up the dye.. and dyed my hair to my natural colour so i dont have to deal with the roots :)

meteor
May 16th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I am naturally a light brown, I call it mousey brown. The dyed bits are blonde hightlights and brown. The other day a friend commented she thought it had a green tinge to it! :-( So that just made it even worse lol

Some days I look in the mirror and I think, it's not that bad really. Then I have days, like today, where I want to curl up and disappear.
If I can't do a colour correction I am hoping by December I will have a fair bit of regrowth and I'm chopping the rest off. I've never had short hair so anything shoulder length seems really short to me lol

I used to have that same situation: growing out light brown hair with blonde highlights, and it's not too difficult. Sure, it's tough the first 6 - 9 months, but really smooth sailing after your roots have reached eye length or ear length, if you like an ombre look. We have a huge active thread on growing out bleach/dye here, and I recommend joining: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155

For hiding roots, I recommend headbands, crown braids, accent braids, half-ups, French/Dutch braids.

For hair care, I recommend focusing on penetrating oils (coconut, palm, olive, avocado) and hydrolyzed proteins (keratin, silk, soy, wheat, etc) for patch repair of bleached, damaged ends. Other beneficial ingredients in conditioners are panthenol (B-5 pro-vitamin), ceramides, 18-MEA, artificial peptides, amino-acids. I'd make it a point to avoid heat and rough brushing, wear hair up or braided as much as possible and sleep on silk to minimize any additional damage.

Good luck! :D

huckleberry
May 17th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the support guys and the suggestions! xoxo

I did try a coconut oil treatment but that left me with crunchy hair ends. I only wash twice a week, and only use heat if I am going out. I have a biosilk leave in conditioner that I use on the ends. They are the worse, so dry! The top half of my hair is soft and feels healthy then you can really feel where the damage is. I've had some breakage and have those annoying fly away hairs at the top of my head!!

Meteor- I just bought a silk pillow case and am taking supplements and eating healthy :-)

Scarlet Rose
May 17th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I think with the way your hair is colored, you could really go either way. If you do decide to get it all back to your natural color, though, I definitely second that you do a coconut oil pre-soak prior to having your hair colored. It'll prevent further damage to some extent.

restless
May 17th, 2014, 11:21 PM
If the length is important to you, you absolutly cannot stand the current colour and the options are either 1: cut it off and start anew (at the end of the year?) or 2: dye it to a colour to match the roots, Id suggest going for option number 2 at first. Give the dye a go, see how it turns out and baby the hair like crazy. To me, thats better than giving up and chopping, because then youŽll know that hey, at least you tried. If the only option is a chop, then you have nothing to lose by giving the dye a last chance anyway, right?

Othala
May 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I suggest you try a non-permanent dye e.g. Clairol Nice'n'Easy non-permanent with no peroxide or ammonia to dye, your coloured ends the same colour as your natural hair. It will wash out after 6 to 8 shampoos but you can make it last longer if you CO wash alternating with shampoo washes.

This way your already dyed hair will not be further damaged and there is no damage to your non-dyed hair either.

blue_eyes
May 19th, 2014, 09:10 PM
blue_eyes I am in a similar situation as you! My dyed hair is damaged, not terrible, but I am scared that a colour correction will be the end of it!
I have dry hair at the moment, my scalp included. I used to get quiet greasy on the scalp, but since my last (disaster) visit to the hairdresser in an attempt to go lighter it's been dry.

I understand how you feel all too well unfortunately, haha. I've had plenty of days where I feel horrible and wish I could just shave my head and hide for 2 or 3 years. It definitely takes a toll on your self-confidence. The only reason I considering returning to the dye is because I can't imagine feeling so bad about my appearance for 2-3 years. If I wasn't so desperate to get my long, healthy hair back I'd probably go dye it right this second, hahaha. But there are definitely good days too, where it doesn't seem to look so bad and it's great to see healthy, virgin hair getting longer. :)

You'll probably see people saying that the first 6-9 months are the hardest to get through, and it's true. I'm at 9 months now and I'm still struggling to stay away from the dye. But anyone who had done this and succeeded has said that the end result was completely worth the struggle, and that once the first year is over the process is much easier. Just hang in there, each day dye-free brings you closer to having all virgin hair.

ReneeG
May 19th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the support guys and the suggestions! xoxo

I did try a coconut oil treatment but that left me with crunchy hair ends. I only wash twice a week, and only use heat if I am going out. I have a biosilk leave in conditioner that I use on the ends. They are the worse, so dry! The top half of my hair is soft and feels healthy then you can really feel where the damage is. I've had some breakage and have those annoying fly away hairs at the top of my head!!

Meteor- I just bought a silk pillow case and am taking supplements and eating healthy :-)

Coconut oil doesn't work for everyone, my ends hate it! You could always try a different oil. Sweet almond works great for my overnight heavy oiling, or even just putting a few drops on my ends after washing/conditioning. Different oils work better for different people :)

huckleberry
May 20th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions and support guys!

I will def try a different oil for my hair as it really does not like coconut! I've tried it a few times now and each time my ends are crunchy as lol

Blue_eyes I know how you feel! 10 years of dying my hair and now suddenly I can't!! If I knew my hair would take it I'd have already dyed over it haha! At the start when I first realized how damaged it actually was I thought I was going to have to just shave it all off and start over- I was googling and researching wigs!! No way was I having NO hair lol
I may try a non permanent dye, I'll wait and see. I'm lucky that my hair grows pretty quick, so if I find I can't hang on I'll try that!