PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair Breakage

Frozen_Farmgirl
May 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM
So my hair is fine and at times very brittle... almost every time I comb it, no matter how gentle I am, it breaks :( It doesn't matter if I use a BBB or wooden comb. Sometimes it breaks more combing it after it's been in a braid. Makes no sense to me!Any ideas to what I am doing wrong, or what I might need to do? I always comb from the bottom up and never when my hair is wet. It seems to comb out better if it's damp and I some times use homemade detangler.

meteor
May 15th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Have you tried oils?
Oil- and silicone-based serums/leave-ins should really help counteract the brittleness and increase the elasticity.
You might also need to lay off hydrolyzed proteins for a while, if you've been using them a lot.

Have you had any damage in your hair: any chemical treatments or too much heat styling?

mira-chan
May 15th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I second the question of previous damage. If younhave any, then that has to just grow out and be cut off. As a temporary measure silicone containing products may hold it together. Oils won't do that as much. If these is no damage, check our vitamins for deficiencies as some can cause brittle hair growth. Talk to your doctor about tat then.

Simone_Fatale
May 15th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Do you use silicone heavy products? Buildup could cause hair to be brittle and break easily. Maybe clarifying would help you.

Weewah
May 15th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Is it previously damaged from bleach or anything? My highlighted hair used to break off like crazy no matter what. You could do a clarify followed by a protein(strengthening) and moisturizing treatment.

MungoMania
May 16th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Nexxus Pro Mend?? Or, you could put a dab of conditioner on your ends just before you comb.

Frozen_Farmgirl
May 16th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I've tried coconut oil left in over night about once a month Would like to do more often but don't always make the time. I've also been trying argon oil after showering. I CWC twice a week too. Believe it or not my hair is actually virgin hair with practically no heat contact which is part of the reason I'm not sure why the damage is so bad. I don't use cones, and my hair has always been on the drier side.

Silverbrumby
May 16th, 2014, 06:16 AM
I've tried coconut oil left in over night about once a month Would like to do more often but don't always make the time. I've also been trying argon oil after showering. I CWC twice a week too. Believe it or not my hair is actually virgin hair with practically no heat contact which is part of the reason I'm not sure why the damage is so bad. I don't use cones, and my hair has always been on the drier side.

It might be time for a blood test.

Iron, TSH thyroid, vit d

In the meantime I'd recommend biotin supplements. It really helped both my hair and nails.