PDA

View Full Version : I want to try some 'clip in' temporary hair pieces

Thumper
May 15th, 2014, 05:45 AM
I've never done this before. We are going to a gala next week and I am getting my hair done at the hairdresser. I thought it might be fun to pick up some of those clip in pieces and try something new. I know there are some on this board that are very against fake hair so I'm hoping I'm not starting a negative thread by asking this question - but I am merely looking for some ideas on what kind of hair do's to play with? Not sure if I want to do an up-do or let it all down. My hair is very thin and just past shoulder length right now.

Thanks everyone!!!

MINAKO
May 15th, 2014, 05:56 AM
YOu might wanna check out this girls YT. She has tons of tutorials, some including clip ins. I dunno, but i think i have seen ready made updo's on ebay as well. I think it's not so uncommon for big events that women just make a normal bun and the attach something to it. Who's to judge if it should be a small braided headband or an entire updo. Have fun looking beautiful.

MINAKO
May 15th, 2014, 07:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon/videos

Ugh, pardon! I just came back to my notebook and ralized i forgot to actually put the link.

redredrobin
May 15th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Your hairdresser should have plenty of experience disguising clips-ins/ a hair piece (if not you could always phone and ask).
I think they often want to curl the hair in order to hide any join with thickness and texture. They will probably want to use a heat iron or tongs on 1b hair.
Not necessarily, but something to consider.

Were you planning to add hair for length and/or thickness? A half up is often good to blend the clip-ins while also seeing the length.

swearnsue
May 15th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I've been looking at the clip on bangs/fringes. They look like fun and come in several colors including purple! Why not? It's your life, you should do what you want!

Thumper
May 15th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Your hairdresser should have plenty of experience disguising clips-ins/ a hair piece (if not you could always phone and ask).
I think they often want to curl the hair in order to hide any join with thickness and texture. They will probably want to use a heat iron or tongs on 1b hair.
Not necessarily, but something to consider.

Were you planning to add hair for length and/or thickness? A half up is often good to blend the clip-ins while also seeing the length.

I'm not sure which way to go - I am wearing a little black dress with spaghetti straps so I'm thinking some kind of partial up do would be more flattering (and last longer through the night as opposed to wearing it all down in the humid weather).

Thumper
May 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon/videos

Ugh, pardon! I just came back to my notebook and ralized i forgot to actually put the link.

Thanks for that - this looks like fun!

Thumper
May 15th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I've been looking at the clip on bangs/fringes. They look like fun and come in several colors including purple! Why not? It's your life, you should do what you want!

I agree - but I'm usually such a recluse type personality...I never do anything that might draw attention to myself in my appearances...I got such bad attention from men most of my life that I have a hard time trying to look my best some days.
The bangs sound like fun - and in purple!! Now i'm wondering what colors I might find!

Rosa Harris
May 15th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Extra hair is fun! I love to play with clip in extensions but found they cause breakage on my very fine hair if worn much so I only use cli-ins for special occasions. The little clips are kinda rough on the hair and put a lot of weight and pull on just a few hairs. You should not have the weight pulling problem much with an updo or half updo and there would be added support. Now I use the loose hair or extension dreads that comes in bunches and work it in as filler underneath my buns or make braid pieces to bobypin into the whole show.

diddiedaisy
May 15th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I use them. I have past collarbone length hair that is fine. So I make a very measly bun. Think in terms of a golf ball!!!

So when I want my hair up I do a bun then clip on a messy bun. I also have a scrunchy hair piece but I have to pin it on as my hairs not thick enough to hold it.

I think they're great when you don't have enough hair to do a nice up do.

Agnes Hannah
May 15th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I have used clip in extensions too, if you are careful, you should be ok, I have really fine hair and use them to addbulk rather than for length. As I wear my hair up all the time now, I rarely wear them, but a couple of weeks ago I did for a night out. My hair was loose and everyone commented on it asking me if I'd been to the hairdressers!! Enjoy them and have fun, I do! (I'm at midback length now)

HazelBug
May 15th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I haven't used clip in's. But I've used wigs. Mostly when I want a dramatic change but don't want anything permanent. My hair doesn't take well to dyes and I hate the upkeep as hair grows out. So that's why I love a decent wig. Extentions have their place. I'm not fond of the huge weaves I have seen before though. They usually look very unnatural to me. But I guess another of my dislike of weaves is that it often destroys beautiful curly hair. The type of hair I will never have.
I hear that clip in's can be damaging. I would say just use a good quality clip in and don't use it every day. We are all human and experimenting with our hair is a way of self expression.

Gertrude
May 15th, 2014, 02:02 PM
My hair is very fine and I also found I got breakage from the extra weight and damage from the clips when I tried them. But depending on the effect you want to achieve you can use pony tail type hair pieces that you can add to your own like the Victorians did to make impressive buns without any damage. It is good fun, and if I look closely at girls and young women on the street here dressed for going out there's a lot of fun hair pieces and additions and padding being used.And accessories shops are full of them. As long as it is fun and makes you happy go for it!

Thumper
May 15th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you for all the ideas and information!! I'm looking forward to trying them...maybe I will post some pics after its' done. Lord knows I won't be doing it again for...well for a very long time!

woodswanderer
May 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Pics...pics....pics! Hope you have fun at your gala!

meteor
May 15th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Clip-in bangs and clip-in extensions can give such a great look and they are not damaging if you put them in and take them out correctly. For extensions I'd recommend trying a somewhat different color than what you already have in order to create highlights and dimension.
Just make sure your hair dresser knows what (s)he's doing and emphasize that you want to avoid any damage possible. I think it's an awesome way to get a new look with no damage, no commitment and no maintenance! Enjoy! :D

Thumper
May 16th, 2014, 02:15 PM
So I went to the retailer recommended by my hairdresser to pick up some clip in's and overwhelmed doesn't describe it! There had to be thousands of options in that place! One of the girls helped me out - I told her exactly what I needed - night out, want to add bulk, some highlights and a little length for curling. The real hair was $85 and that was without the clips! With the clips was $125. The fake was $30, with the clips so I took that.

I have to say, this stuff is incredible! I can't get over how real it looks and feels! I can see how easy it is to get hooked on doing this as a regular routine.
I'm very excited, it's been so long since I've done anything dressy. I'm picturing some kind of partial up do, where the pieces of hair are in circles and pinned and then ringlet pieces loose. I will definitely get some photos - its next Wednesday night!! :toast:

Gelsomina
May 18th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Thumper, can you tell us please what you bought, like the brand or where you found it? I have been looking for an affordable occasional clip in something, and what you found sounds so pretty and versatile and a good price :)