PDA

View Full Version : hair colouring tip from a hairdresser friend

pri108
May 15th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Hi,

A friend has coloured hair but her hair didn't look very damaged so i asked her what she does. She said that she colours only the new hair that grows out. So instead of colouring the whole hair length she only colours about 1/2 to 1 inch a month.

I am sorry if you know this, ii don't read hair colour threads so have no idea. found the tip useful so thought i'd share

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2014, 04:56 AM
This is a great tip, thank you. I already do this and it does keep the hair in much healthier condition!

momschicklets
May 15th, 2014, 05:33 AM
I also do this and learned it from my hairdresser when I used to have her color my hair. I also never "refresh the lengths" as they tell you in the instructions in a box of color. That's a sure way to lots of damage over time.

SkyChild
May 15th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I did this naturally when I realised my lengths and ends were still the same colour (and why wouldn't they be after 4 weeks?)
But it's useful to hear that hairdressers do this too, as I think some people don't believe it when I say you only need to do the roots.

Rosa Harris
May 15th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Mom was a hairdresser for 47 years - I learned this from her too - her hair is bleached blond and BSL and looks just fie/healthy even tho its both heat straitened and bleached.

Rosa Harris
May 15th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Beauty supply store has special application brushes for putting it on the roots only, too.

tip from here - check your hair often as it processes so that you only leave it on as little time as possible. you just take a little strand and wipe off and look to see what color it is. Usually people's hair takes a ot less time to process than it says on the box. I could do any color on my hair in 15 minutes.

also, if you go to a beauty supply store you can buy your peroxide in different strengths - 10 and 20 volume are much gentler on the hair than what is usually in the box which is a 30 or for blond often -yikes- a frying 40! You pick the little bottle of color you want and your peroxide. If you need to drastically lighten you do a bleach job and mix peroxide with one of the packs of powder.

blue_eyes
May 15th, 2014, 07:58 AM
I don't know if it's just me, or due to the abuse I put my hair through, but my ends always seemed to look faded and brassy after a month or two, so when I just touched up the roots they wouldn't match. I pretty much had to refresh the lengths, but over time the damage is horrendous. I love the idea in theory but it didn't work for me unfortunately.

Rosa Harris
May 15th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I don't know if it's just me, or due to the abuse I put my hair through, but my ends always seemed to look faded and brassy after a month or two, so when I just touched up the roots they wouldn't match. I pretty much had to refresh the lengths, but over time the damage is horrendous. I love the idea in theory but it didn't work for me unfortunately.

Where you using a red I ask because reds are the one color that is notorious for fading and doing so rather quickly. Anything with a red in the color mix is going to have some fade-out. It has to do with the size of the molecule that makes the red tint - if I recall correctly. That means a strawberry blond will also lose its strawberry tent - an auburn will brown out with time, My experince black will stick forever.

blue_eyes
May 15th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Where you using a red I ask because reds are the one color that is notorious for fading and doing so rather quickly. Anything with a red in the color mix is going to have some fade-out. It has to do with the size of the molecule that makes the red tint - if I recall correctly. That means a strawberry blond will also lose its strawberry tent - an auburn will brown out with time, My experince black will stick forever.

I actually had this happen when I was dyeing my hair a dark brown/black color. It did have some bleach damage, so I thought that may be why my hair wasn't holding the dark color very well, but even after it had been dyed dark several times it would still turn brassy, fade, and look a little patchy. :S

FoxyGhost
May 15th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I have advice for redheads who feel like they can't just do there roots. I use henna diluted by conditioner every 3 months on my length and dye my dark roots about every 6 weeks. Obviously, this only works if your dyed color is somewhat similar to the color henna gives but it is saving my hair from damage. I dye my roots with loreal feria copper shimmer dye and it blends nicely with henna.