PDA

View Full Version : layering question

littlehedgy
May 14th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Hello lovelies!

I'm new here, but I've been lurking on old threads so I feel like I've been here forever :). I notice in a lot of threads there's some lamenting about layering hair. Is layering bad for your hair at all? I ask because my hair looks atrocious when it is not layered. Seriously... awful. I eventually want hip to tbl hair so I want to do everything I can to keep it happy and healthy. Insight and help would be much appreciated!!!

Nadine <3
May 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I don't think its bad. I used to love my layers on my shoulder length hair (when they where done right!) but as they grew out my ends looked pretty thin. Also mine tend to get really ragged and beat up looking really fast. They make my braids look bad too...

Not bad for your hair. I know people here have them and love them!

littlehedgy
May 14th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Oh good! My hair us so flat without layers! I do hate how thin my braids look with my layers so I get torn between having pretty updos or having pretty down hair. Oh woe is me ;)

kganihanova
May 14th, 2014, 08:17 PM
My layers were fine when I was wearing my hair down now braids that was a whole nother story. They also took away my thickness. I was an ii with layers, and I"m an iii without.

HumanBean
May 14th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I've got long layers with a deepish V hemline. Love em! No probs with updos.

Weewah
May 14th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Layering isn't bad for hair. What's bad is if the hair is cut wet or diagonally. Of course it's not the worst thing in the world if you get your hair cut this way, but to keep your ends at optimal healthiness, cut perpendicular to the hair strands while dry. I self-trim and do my own layers this way. I need layers for my thick wavy hair or else I'll look like a cocker spaniel.

Oh also, welcome!

spidermom
May 14th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I love my layers. It's a nice change. I grew to classic length with no layers. Now I'm rocking the layers. What's next? We'll see.

HintOfMint
May 14th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I love, love, LOVE layers. They keep my hair from looking flat at the top and heavy at the bottom. My hair is at hip now and it has layers without issue. People here who complain about layers do so for a couple of reasons. Most common complaint is that the layers poke out of updos and braids. Another complaint is that thinner hair can look wispy or scraggly with layers, or poorly cut layers.

But there's nothing inherently wrong or damaging with layers.

Bagginslover
May 15th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Nothing bad about layers. I grew mine almost all out, then cut them back in as I missed them!! They make some things more difficult- neat updos, sleek braids, S&D trimming, but if you are happy to deal with that, then rock them!

If it helps, I've found layers cut (myself) using the compact cut method to be less troublesome in updo's and braids than choppier layers. If you've not heard of it, the compact cut is where you make a ponytail somewhere from your crown forwards (the further forwards, the more extreme the layering, I put mine on my forehead at my hairline), and cut all the ends off straight. When you let it down again, the hair is layered :)

lapushka
May 15th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I love my layers, and if the hair is long enough (mine's hip+) then you barely notice that in updos anymore (no things sticking out).

littlehedgy
May 15th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Hmmm from what I'm hearing here I may go back to cutting my own hair. I had a salon lady do it for the first time since I was 14 a few months ago. Though I suppose I should avoid my old method which was hack at my poor hair with kitchen scissors and a box cutter. Do you think razor cut layers may contribute to more breakage and splitting vs scissor cut??

And thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it!

lapushka
May 15th, 2014, 09:13 AM
You could do your own layers from now on. No need for the hair dresser. These cuts are especially flattering on wavy or curly hair.

They are called: "compact cuts". Two methods in which you place a ponytail somewhere on your head. One way is by making the ponytail on the top of your head for longer layers. The other way is by making the ponytail on the top of your forehead (hairline), for shorter layers. With both these methods: at first snip a *tiny* bit off!

clioariane
May 15th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I love my layers, they give my fine hair movement :)

molljo
May 15th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Hmmm from what I'm hearing here I may go back to cutting my own hair. I had a salon lady do it for the first time since I was 14 a few months ago. Though I suppose I should avoid my old method which was hack at my poor hair with kitchen scissors and a box cutter. Do you think razor cut layers may contribute to more breakage and splitting vs scissor cut??

And thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it!

Absolutely razors can contribute to breakage. They cut hair at an angle, which means the end has a greater surface area with much more of the interior of the hair exposed, leaving the hair way more susceptible to breaking. And this is with a new, sharp razor. Dull ones hack and slice imprecisely at the poor strands, making a forest of splits practically a promise. There are some great/terrifying microscopic photos floating around the forum that show this, but I can't find them right now.

You will also see a big push around here for using shears (whether you're giving yourself a new cut or just S&Ding (Search and Destroy for splits and white dots)) that are only used for hair. You can get a good pair for around $20-$30. Cutting hair poorly with inferior tools can contribute nearly as much damage as heat styling, as far as I'm concerned.

Weewah
May 15th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Yes you need a good pair of sharp scissors that you use only for your hair and nothing else. Dull scissors will crush the ends of your hair making them susceptible to fraying and splitting. And razor cuts are very bad.

I do my own hair cut(slight u-shape hemline, long back layers, shorter face framing layers) in 3 parts:

1. Feye's self trim method for U shape hemline to get the overall base shape for my hair.

2. Modified compact cut for my longer back layers. While standing, I bend over as far as possible with my chin touching my chest. I gather all my hair with my hand without securing with a ponytail, then I slide my hand down and cut only 1 or 2 inches off the end. This gives me good long blended layers while keeping a thick hemline since I'm not cutting all the hairs.

3. Face framing hair. I section my hair from ear to ear, this is my face framing hair, I tie the back hair out of the way. I take my front hair and gather it all in front of my face looking straight ahead, and slide my hand down the hair out straight out in front of my face, and cut like 1 or 2 inches from the ends depending what length you want.

For the layers you can play with different elevation angles, the higher you elevate your hair before snipping, the steeper the layers will be. If you want more dramatic face framing layers for example, you'll raise the hair to your forehead, more subtle layers you'll elevate it to your chin, etc.

Also, you'll see a lot of YouTube tutorials where they use the point cutting technique. I'd advise against this because I don't think it's necessary, and it cuts the hair at a steep diagonal angle which will make your hair more prone to splits. The idea when you're trying to grow long hair is to cut it as optimally as possible(which is straight across with sharp scissors on dry hair) so you can go a really long time without having to trim again.

I haven't written out my whole haircut steps before, hopefully this helps some peeps!

meteor
May 15th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with layers! :D
Many people complain that it takes a long time growing them out, they make braids, ponytails and buns look thinner, but if you like layers - enjoy them absolutely guilt-free! :)

I suppose I should avoid my old method which was hack at my poor hair with kitchen scissors and a box cutter. Do you think razor cut layers may contribute to more breakage and splitting vs scissor cut??
Avoid razor cuts, make sure your cuts are perpendicular and done with extremely sharp hair scissors that were never used on anything other than hair. Otherwise, you may cause damage on ends leading to split ends and necessitating a new trim sooner rather than later.

Here's what you risk if dull scissors are used:
http://pgbeautyscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%202/Damage%2011.jpg

And here is a razor cut:
http://pgbeautyscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%202/Damage%2012.jpg

http://pgbeautyscience.com/hair-damage.php

Youngjae
May 16th, 2014, 12:37 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with layers but I dislike them on my own hair because they would thin out the ends too much. Also, my braids misbehave enough as is, I worry that If I got layers they would just be terrible!!! But if it works for you then go for it, layers can look gorgeous(just not on me)

butter52
May 16th, 2014, 03:26 AM
2. Modified compact cut for my longer back layers. While standing, I bend over as far as possible with my chin touching my chest. I gather all my hair with my hand without securing with a ponytail, then I slide my hand down and cut only 1 or 2 inches off the end. This gives me good long blended layers while keeping a thick hemline since I'm not cutting all the hairs.

3. Face framing hair. I section my hair from ear to ear, this is my face framing hair, I tie the back hair out of the way. I take my front hair and gather it all in front of my face looking straight ahead, and slide my hand down the hair out straight out in front of my face, and cut like 1 or 2 inches from the ends depending what length you want.

For the layers you can play with different elevation angles, the higher you elevate your hair before snipping, the steeper the layers will be. If you want more dramatic face framing layers for example, you'll raise the hair to your forehead, more subtle layers you'll elevate it to your chin, etc.

Oh! Ive been trying to underestand how it looks different with different angles and I think I just dont get it. I dont underestand the difference, like if you hold the hair up, the layers will be longer, while if you cut it with your hand down, you get more layers?

Also how do you make your framing layers blend with the lower ones?

YamaMaya
May 16th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Layers are your personal choice. It's your hair and if you're happy with layers, go for it. I think they look best on super thick (iii) hair. I'm a bit tired of my layers so I'm growing them out at the moment, who knows, once I have all one length I may get long layers, but never short again.

Weewah
May 16th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Oh! Ive been trying to underestand how it looks different with different angles and I think I just dont get it. I dont underestand the difference, like if you hold the hair up, the layers will be longer, while if you cut it with your hand down, you get more layers?

Also how do you make your framing layers blend with the lower ones?

Grab like a one inch section of hair from the bottom of your head with one hand, then take another one inch section of hair from the top of your head with your other hand. Bring the ends of these two sections together, still holding them separately in each hand. Then raise and lower the sections together, and you'll see how the sections line up differently with each other based on how high or low you raise them. When you elevate the hair higher before cutting, the hair at the top of the head gets more cut off and will end up shorter, which gives steeper layers.

For my face framing layers, I'll cut enough where I'm just barely cutting the hair at the bottom so it blends with the longest hair, but face framing hair doesn't necessarily have to meet up with the longest length of your hair anyways, like somebody could have waist length hair but have chin length face framing hair and it'd be perfectly fine.

Just play with elevating your hair at different angles in the mirror so you can plan out where you'd like to cut your layers in. When you elevate the 2 sections of hair in each hand, pinch where you would cut, then lower the hair and you'll see what the shortest and longest length the layered hair would be. I hope this made sense, I'm tired with a headache ready to fall asleep.

Eta: This image might help you understand elevation in haircutting: http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/highelevation.gif

browneyedsusan
May 16th, 2014, 07:02 AM
I love my layers, they give my fine hair movement :)
Me too!
I use the "compact cut" Lapushka suggests to keep them neat.

velorutionista
May 16th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with my layers--I love the movement I get from them when my hair is down, but I hate the way they crawl out of buns at lightspeed. However, I have noticed that the longer the layers get, the more well-behaved they are (right now my longest layer is around shoulder length), so I think it's a "growing pain" problem, and not so much layers in general!

spidermom
May 16th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Hairs used to poke out of my braids and ends out of my buns before I got the layers, so no real change there. I've always had a lot of natural layering from the shed and regrow cycle, but it only made my hair look messy, unlike the intentional layers, which give my hair really pretty flow.

butter52
May 17th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Thanks weewah, it did make sense!

LunaHuntress
May 17th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with my layers--I love the movement I get from them when my hair is down, but I hate the way they crawl out of buns at lightspeed.

My feelings exactly! Before I decided to grow my hair out I used to cut it using the compact cut method (though I didn't know that was what it was called at the time.) The layers make my hair look thicker when it's down, but oy vey, do my braids and buns look pathetic!

MariamPhilauri
May 17th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Personally, I dont like layers. Stupid hairdresser thinned out my ends, it was last summer and destroyed my hair! I'm growing out but it is still short and it will take a long time to grow. It made my hair look so much thinner :D

DweamGoiL
May 17th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I love my long layers. They take away the weight of my hair, give my fine hair movement and volume, and eradicate the triangle look.

Henna Girl
May 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I have to have some kind of layers in my hair. Otherwise my hair will look something like a pyramid. Flat at the top and poofy at the ends. Not very flattering.

Rosa Harris
May 17th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I grow natural layers somehow (including like 3 inch fringe and a 8 inch layer in there and its always been that way) and they seem perfect for the waves and worls cause the shorter hairs have less weight and fluf up with curlies more. I hated it untill I realized it was a perfect match for my wavies as well as stopped trying to make everything flat, even and strait.