PDA

View Full Version : The dry hair, scalp and everything thread.

Rosa Harris
May 14th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Ok. There might be a place for this but I have not found it. I noticed most problems are on the oily side here. Must be some more 'so dry I could scream' folks around here with ideas about seriously dry scalp, hair and skin issues.

I recently got tired of trying to oil and mositurize it all and went NW hoping that something would accumulate but its extreemly slow going. I have no had the luck of other people of developing a nice oily transition canopy from not washing or using water.

Washing anything for me = crazy itches - even with ethnic products, no cones, no sulfates. Scalp and all will feel extremely tight and eewww when washed and I hate that.

I've tried everything else short of Vaseline, Crisco or bacon grease - including prescription ointments with heavy mineral oil and white petroleum bases.

I always get that my skin is loosing too much water and so on. No one seems to believe that my skin just does ot produce the oil. I don't get they mouse and key grime buildup - mine are nice and worn shiny. I was seriously convinced my son was getting ramen juice and food goo caked on my keys and mouse till HE figured out that weird stuff was coming from his hands. I had zero clue that could happen - or that buildup on my van steering wheel from hand grease from my hubby? I never had such weirdness happen myself. I was like 'how freakin strange'.

I mean no-one. I can't convince the dermatologist that the oil is just not being made. That it is more than 'hot showers' or 'not drinking enough water' and so on. Seriously, I love me some water and I don't even DO hot showers. I can't stand hot water.

And my Mom has the problem, too. She has aligator-like skin on her legs with terrible buildup of dead skin that is difficult to get off. I know if you don't make the oil there is nothing to break the dead skin cells away and lift them off the skin so they crust. No one listens, tho.

mira-chan
May 14th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I have a similar issue. My scalp produces dry sebum, which means it stays at the scalp and doesn't even flak off most of the time. First thing to do is check for vitamin deficiencies, your regular doctor can do that. When I was deficient on vitamin D, the dryness was worse. My current vitamin routine seems to be helping even more. I was even able to use a brush once without feeling like I was ripping my hair apart. Even then I've been able to go a month without a wash with hair looking normal and not a drop of oiliness.

What helps me with scalp itching post wash is oiling the scalp. Between washes a light oil, added very lightly, one or two drops, massaged into the scalp. I add essential oils to this do add to the treatment and promote growth and thickness. This is as needed only. Scalp massage in general will help as well, if you have a minute or two, do it. Plus it feels good.

Before every wash, I oil at least two hours before scalp and length. Right now I'm using a mix with castor oil and a lighter oil, encourages growth and breaks up the dry sebum. This dry sebum will not come off with just washing, and it's oil based. Oil with break up oil. Let it sit the two hours after you massage it in. I then wash out. I'm sensitive to sulfates and sulfocinates so use a diluted coco betaine based shampoo. You can use whatever you like and works for you. I generally can't get away with just massaging the scalp, even with oil I need a bit of scrubbing to get the skin to come off. I do a shampoo, massage, rinse, shampoo with gentle scrubbing, focused on the scalp only. This is a little shampoo diluted in a regular size old shampoo or conditioner bottle. Make sure to rinse the scalp well after, a hand held shower head is helpful. Condition length as you like. I follow this with diluted ACV or citric acid on the scalp right before I'm done. I leave this in.

That has improved my scalp issues the most and I wash once a week only, dryness is much less. I don't produce oil that does down the length much still but the scalp is so much happier. I hope that helps.

Rosa Harris
May 14th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Thank you. Nice to know I am not the only one.

Do you get the buildup on the scalp in some areas to the point that it is a hard wax layer where the sensation feel weird/different?

I know I don't have any vitamin deficiencies - my Doc checks me every six months. It does get somewhat better in warm weather outside but my skin burns like crazy if exposed - I don't know if that is related - even tho I am more olive skinned except for some white spotting.

I know scritching is helping me break it up some up there. I am using the backside of my nails to 'scratch' - not the sharp parts of them but the nail bed. Its a great massage and I think helps also to press out what is in there hiding as well. If I actually scratch the skin is so think it just breaks and bleeds. This is about everywhere. Its paper-thin. I've ripped my hands opening a coke bottle before by twisting too hard. Silly skin.

mira-chan
May 14th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Thank you. Nice to know I am not the only one.

Do you get the buildup on the scalp in some areas to the point that it is a hard wax layer where the sensation feel weird/different?
Yes, especially if I go longer than a week or have deficiencies.

I know I don't have any vitamin deficiencies - my Doc checks me every six months. It does get somewhat better in warm weather outside but my skin burns like crazy if exposed - I don't know if that is related - even tho I am more olive skinned except for some white spotting.
Ask for the blood report on the vitamins, look at it and then talk to the doctor. Some borderline levels might be too low for you, and some vitamins are not checked unless symptoms are severe. Mine gets better with warm weather too because of humidity. The more humid the air the better my skin and hair is. I'm light olive/ neutral skin color too but mine doesn't burn, it doesn't tan easily either (because of issues in vit D processing). I have Keratosis Pilaris which may be part of the issue and a collagen condition that could be making things worse as well. I don't know if other underlying conditions could be a factor for your skin dryness, that's another thing to talk to your regular doctor with.

I know scritching is helping me break it up some up there. I am using the backside of my nails to 'scratch' - not the sharp parts of them but the nail bed. Its a great massage and I think helps also to press out what is in there hiding as well. If I actually scratch the skin is so think it just breaks and bleeds. This is about everywhere. Its paper-thin. I've ripped my hands opening a coke bottle before by twisting too hard. Silly skin.
Scritching is like massage helps blood circulation to the area and remove some of the crud. The mention of thin skin is similar to the collagen disorder I mentioned, it can cause thin, fragile skin. Again something to talk to your doctor about.

Bopoluchi
May 25th, 2014, 08:13 AM
i also have very low sebum production. i find that finishing my wash with a diluted vinegar rinse (i use coconut vinegar) has been great, and i massage a few drops of oil (emu oil with rosemary essential oil) into my scalp as needed, and usually after a wash. i'll leave the oil in overnight and brush my scalp the next morning so it doesnt look greasy. i seal my lengths with a little oil (currently sesame) after a wash and will touch up as needed by spraying my lengths with rosewater and reapplying a tiny amount of sesame oil. i scritch with my nails sometimes, but prefer to exfoliate using my wooden brush. i just spend a while brushing only my scalp to exfoliate and massage. lately i've been washing my hair once a month, and when i wash it's lately been with eggs, multani mati, or conditioner, followed by the coconut vinegar rinse. i hope you find something that helps you with this problem.

ExpectoPatronum
May 25th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I kind of belong on this thread. My scalp is a little on the oilier side, however the skin is super dry. I can go indefinitely without actually washing my face and using my homemade lotion (cacao butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil) and not be greasy. I do wash my face with water and a homemade toner to help fade acne marks from my teens.

The only thing that's really helped my skin any was stopping using store-bought moisturizers and just making my own. Not only are they way more moisturizing, but I don't have to worry about being allergic to any of the ingredients. I typically use a base of unrefined cacao butter and coconut oil (usually 1:1 ratio, but I may tweak it depending on the season). Then I add about a tablespoon of some liquid oil - usually olive or avocado. I'll admit it's some pretty heavy stuff and takes a while to soak in. Sometimes I'll dilute it upon application with some aloe vera gel which helps it not be so heavy.

My hair is also on the drier side, but that doesn't concern me as much as my skin does. When my skin gets really dry, it gets really itchy so that's my main concern.

Rosa Harris, you mentioned white spotting on your skin. Is it itchy in those areas? Are those spots in areas where your skin tends to be a little more sweaty? It may be tinea versicolor. My skin is more on the medium side of olive (I get DARK in the summer though) and where I have that, those areas don't tan at all and remain white. In fact, that's how I noticed I had it in the first place.

Aderyn
May 25th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Oh, do I know the feeling of being dry.

I have very dry, sensitive skin all over, really. I haven't had too much of an issue with my scalp, I used sulfates/cones when I was younger without issue (I did have some issues with very fragrant things, though) and I've actually had worse luck using the sulfate-free shampoos, those left me a flaky mess. I use shampoo bars and that works wonderfully for my scalp, haven't had an issue. I have never had the feeling of sebum building up or leaving a waxy coating on my scalp.

I haven't washed my hair in nearly a week (normally it's oily-enough-to-need-a-wash by the 3rd or 4th day) so I'm a bit surprised, not even trying to stretch my washes, but oh well.

I rarely wash my face (mainly because most of the products I encounter tend to break me out, so I just stick to what I know doesn't break me out, which is nothing), and most of the time I wash my face I just use water and a cotton wash cloth to exfoliate. I rarely use soap on most of my body either (haven't for my entire life, really), as even very gentle soaps dry me out and I've never had an issue with going largely soap free, though some may find that a bit odd. :p I also second what expectopatronum said about store-bought moisturizers - those are usually not moisturizing or nourishing to the skin in any way, and it is so much cheaper to just use coconut oil or so.

That, in and of itself, has resolved the vast majority of my dry skin issues - just ditching all those products marketed for "skin care".

ErinLeigh
May 25th, 2014, 05:26 PM
What works for my dryness is...
Emu oil. I know it freaks folks out but if you are one who isn't put of by it it is a wonderful oil for easing itch of dryness. I use it for my partners super dry scalp and it helps him a lot. So does Panacea and aloe.
Jojoba oil for sealing hair after wetting.
Washing face and scalp with honey. I use aloe on face after the honey wash while skin is still damp. I know its a lot of humectants but it works for me.
Oiling/buttering my body when still damp form shower. I use the shea moisture body oils. Once a week I exfoliate and seal with Vertis sea salt/oil blend.
Frequent washing. Skipping washes makes me drier. I need that water infusion into hair, skin and scalp. Without it I would get dry patches, dry gunk scalp and fly away, parched hair.

Rosa, I cannot imagine going thru such irritation every time you wash. It must make finding a routine so difficult. I am really sorry you have to deal with that. Does the GHE method ease it at all? I have been doing it weekly and so far am pleased. Maybe inversion method would help a little bit?

\

Rosa does the GHW help at all with itchy dry scalp? I really like it and have been keeping up with it once a week. I oil up and pop the shower cap on and everything feels great in the morning.

ErinLeigh
May 26th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Rosa I forgot to ask..when you oil and butter hair is it done on wet or dry hair?

Dreams_in_Pink
May 26th, 2014, 12:39 AM
My scalp also does not produce any quality sebum. I'm doing WO and am still using lots of oils pre-wash. I get this white-grayish gunk buildup (which i found out was "hair wax" that was supposed to be carried down with sebum) on my roots and i need to apply honey to dissolve it. My skin also has dry patches; my cheeks, neck and hands are particularly dry.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 26th, 2014, 12:54 AM
I cannot edit my post above so i'm making a new one.

Whenever i get dry scaly patches on my hands or cheeks, i use clinique's mositure surge intense cream. It has a weird chemical smell but somehow works wonders on destroyed skin. Not the regular one though, it must be the "intense" one because the others don't even penetrate through the scales :(

Imalath
May 26th, 2014, 08:46 AM
My scalp produces enough oils that my hair can get good and greasy, but it's one of the only places that does. I have extremely dry, very sensitive skin that looks like leather in spots, and the skin on my hands and feet gets extremely tight, to the point that I have a hard time bending my fingers and toes some days. I also react to everything on my skin...laundry soaps, shampoo, dish soap, fragrances, preservatives and artificial colors in food, certain foods in general, as well as brushing against plants or standing barefoot in grass can all make me break out in rashes that take weeks to go away.

My grandmother was prone to getting scales of skin that wouldn't come off on her legs. She learned to manage it on accident...in the summers she would slather her skin in extra-virgin olive oil and rub it with half a clove of fresh garlic as a homemade bug-repellent before going to work in her garden every day. After a few days of treatment the skin would soften enough that she could scrub it off with a loofah and some elbow grease. I used to stick a sprayer in a bottle of baby oil and spray my body after every shower before toweling off until my skin started reacting to it.

I am still looking for a routine and products that work. Atm I have given up using all commercial skin care products; aside from the SheaMoisture shampoo and conditioner that my scalp likes, the only thing I use on my skin is a bar of ivory soap, and even that strips out what little moisture is there. I don't use moisturizers, creams, cleansers, sunscreen, etc at all. I can't even use commercial aloe vera creams...the alcohols in them dry out my skin more than the aloe helps.

I have had good luck using straight coconut oil as a deep moisturizer, especially on my feet. A little coconut oil at night and some socks and the skin softens and I can start to scrub it off. It doesn't, however, give me any feeling of relief. After using it my skin still feels dry to me, even if it is not. I've been slowly researching other oils that I can add to it to maybe give me some relief from the dry itchies. It also tends to clog my pores, so I am planning on making a homemade butter with it using another oil and a little rosewater as a toner. I also want to put a water filter on my shower and see if taking the chlorine out of my water will help any.

I have a feeling that most of my problem is due to diet; there is something I am getting on a regular basis (or not getting) in my food that makes my immune system react to everything. If I can figure out what it is and stop the rashes from happening, maybe I can focus on keeping my skin moisturized instead of getting it healed first.

Othala
May 26th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Dry skin, dry hair and dry scalp here. The solution I have found, after a lot of trial and error, for scalp and hair is to use a mild, non-sulphate shampoo when washing un-oiled hair or a diluted sulphate shampoo when washing oiled hair, and to wash one or twice a week max.

For me it has been very important to regularly apply an oil mix to my scalp as I have no detectable sebum on my scalp. The mix that works best for me is a 50:50 mix of sesame oil and emu oil, applied overnight on the evening before a wash day and applied very lightly on my damp scalp following a wash.

The other key change that I have seen positive results from is increasing the levels of essential fatty acids in my diet. I eat tinned sardines, bones and all, smoked salmon, avocados, walnuts and sunflower seeds. My skin is positively glowing and feels normalised, my eyesight has improved. My menopausal hot flushes have disappeared. Also beneficial has been cutting out fruit juices and replacing them with whole raw fresh fruit. I now firmly believe that meaningful change starts with what we put inside our bodies.