PDA

View Full Version : sell me on tailbone length

goodenough
September 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have been on LHC since June 07, and although I comment a lot, I don't know if I've ever started a post. So excuse the focus on "me."

I have almost waistlength hair right now, and it's a frustrating phase. I can only do a cinnabun or figure eight (once in a while), and the shedding long hairs drive me CrAzY! My hair is straight and slippery, and extremely thick. (5 inch ponytail, and I have bangs!!)

I was wondering if anyone found tailbone (my maybe goal) easier to put up or just deal with everyday, or if the beauty makes it worth it? Because I'm trying to decide if I want to maintain at waist and trim out layers, or if I want to let it all grow to tailbone before maintaining so it will be easier to put up/wear down. Also, is tailbone length harder to wash? I'm not just looking for technical info--are you happier with it?

Current routine: alternating between co and s/c washing 3x week total. Jojoba or olive oil once in a while. I wear it up for work and errands, down or half up for going somewhere.

Nightshade
September 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I think it's (visually) one of the more flattering lengths, and also I have an easier time doing updos at TBL than I did at waist/hip :) For me, washing/drying is no more work at tailbone than it was at BSL. If you're not piling your hair on top of your head (which you shouldn't be anyway) there's little difference so long as you carefully detangle beforehand.

Your hair is a bit thicker than mine, so this may be even more true for you.

Also, it makes you look hawt :eyebrows: ;)

On the downside, you floss your nether regions in the shower :shocked:

goodenough
September 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the encouragement--I'd like to look hawt!! I think I've been frustrated a lot b/c ponytails and braids tangle my hair so much, and I get a little bored of the buns. Oh well, the thing is, I can't do much with my hair at bsl or shoulder length for that matter. Maybe tailbone will be my holy grail. I haven't had it cut since March, but I swear I've been an inch away from waist for the longest time. I think I'm about four inches from tailbone. That means about a year if I get a half inch off twice.

Ohio Sky
September 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
You should be able to do more do's the longer your hair gets. It's just too thick (like holy cow thick!) to be able to do much at this length. You could try separating your hair in half and doing the same style with each to allow for the thickness>length factor.

Your hair sounds amazing, and I'm sure it will be worth it to get to TB. :)

Delila
September 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I agree that with such thick hair, you may well find it more versatile at longer lengths.

What sort of trimming schedule do you have in mind?

I've managed to gain length by stretching out trims as long as possible, (three times a year seems to be my average lately) then doing the trim myself. Since I'm too timid to trim very much, I don't think I've trimmed away as much as a real stylist would, LOL!

Euphony
September 16th, 2008, 04:25 PM
My hair isn't tail bone quite yet, but it is easier to deal with. I only wash my scalp though, so if you wash your length that may be different. I wash my scalp and let the suds travel the length, I condition about every third wash (yes that does take longer now, but not much).

Your hair is a bit thicker than mine so you probably have this issue as well, but maybe not since you have bangs. I'm hoping tail bone is finally the long enough length to keep my hair from falling forward. But now that I'm creeping up (down) on tail bone I still don't find my hair staying back.

Updos are way easier though, and some can be freakishly impressive with thick, long hair. We had a Seattle meet on Sunday and one of the members posted a pic of my bun, I've never thought about the size of my bun, I look in the mirror to see if it's straight and that's about it. That thing looks like it's gonna eat my head! I had a lot of issues getting anything to hold until I hit waist length, the hair is just too thick so you can't get it to wrap properly.

I bet you'll love it at tail bone.

Nat242
September 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I have thick hair too - though not as thick as yours - and I'm finding waist length a bit difficult. I still can't do a lot of updos, so I think in that respect longer hair will be easier to manage. I've got damage to trim off, but I'm waiting until at least hip/belt length before I do so.

Hope that helps! Waist length is a troublesome length.

dorothea-brooke
September 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, goodenough, your hair sounds amazing! When do we get to see pix? :)

Slight hijack here, although it's also a question for you, too: how exactly is tailbone defined? I thought it was basically the top of the crack, so to speak, yet I measured that length (only 34" on little shorty me), yet for others it's like, gaw, 40" or some such!

Are there different definitions of TB?

psycho
September 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Your hair sounds like it's more or less the same thickness as mine; I have a 5 1/4" ponytail, but no bangs (except the tiny short bits around my face from a burning barrel incident a few months ago...oops :p), and I have to say I love how much more I can do with my hair now at TB than I could at waist.

First, the thicker it is the more it needs to "anchor" with...I was barely able to do a cinnamon bun when it was shorter because each wrap around took so much length. Now I can do a great bun that takes up pretty much the whole back of my head :D, I get tons of compliments on that. A lot of times you'll have to divide your hair to achieve some styles because it's just too much, but I've found that in general the longer my hair gets the more I can make complicated styles that look nice and full and stay put.

As for washing, I agree with the above posters that it is no different (except the "flossing", which can require removing some shed hairs from undesirable places). Though I've taken to laying a crib blanket across my shoulders for my hair to lay on while it dries, unless you have a bath sheet the towels just aren't big enough to keep your back and pants from getting wet.

goodenough
September 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. I normally trim every third month about a quarter inch, but I haven't been able to since March, and I was thinking about skipping the trims for a while. While they cut down on tangling, my hair is even harder to put up with freshly cut ends. I welcome even a slight taper.

I do put my hair up in two infinity buns sometimes, but the bottom doesn't stay very well b/c it's healthier than the top. Maybe I'll try half ups for a while since the top part stays up really well.

I'm sure you would all agree with me that what I probably need is some new hair toys. Since I have no money (the 6% US unemployment rate includes my hubby), maybe I'll look at what I have and put some things up for trade. Of course then I have to find the camera and figure out photobucket again-- if I do that I'll take a new pic for my profile, too. I lost my old one somehow. Time to clean the bathroom mirror anyway:)

It just seems that it's taking soooo long to grow down my back--I was bsl when I came last year:( Oh well. At least I've managed not to cut or dye it for the three years I've been growing. (Trying to look on the bright side.) The reasonable thing to do is to keep growing and give tailbone a try, since I've never been happy with anything else except a bob anyway--haha.

psycho
September 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Slight hijack here, although it's also a question for you, too: how exactly is tailbone defined? I thought it was basically the top of the crack, so to speak, yet I measured that length (only 34" on little shorty me), yet for others it's like, gaw, 40" or some such!

That's what I've always counted it on. How tall are you? I'm 5'6" and TB is about 38.75" on me, though the length of someone's back and neck stays fairly proportional so it would seem that someone, say three inches shorter than me (5'3") would have TB length pretty close to 35-36", and someone just an inch or two taller than me would be hitting 40" for TB.

dorothea-brooke
September 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
That's what I've always counted it on. How tall are you? I'm 5'6" and TB is about 38.75" on me, though the length of someone's back and neck stays fairly proportional so it would seem that someone, say three inches shorter than me (5'3") would have TB length pretty close to 35-36", and someone just an inch or two taller than me would be hitting 40" for TB.

Hmmm.... I'm 5'2", so I guess by that reckoning TB should really be 35" on me.... Seems close to what I'd figured (although of course as soon as I get home I'm running to the tape measure! :lol:).

Wow, I'm kind of glad I'm short at the moment.... :cool:

goodenough
September 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I need to measure to see what tb will be on me. My waist is freakishly long and I have stubby legs:)

thankyousir74
September 16th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hmm I had also the same thing wondering when I should start maintaining length to trim out my layers. Tailbone sounds like a wonderful length :D. I guess I won't be cutting for a few years (pardoning micro-trims and S&D)

Euphony
September 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM

I call mine where my actual tail bone is, but I have a very good understanding of exactly where mine is because I fractured it on icy steps a couple of years ago. Some people however might be at proper tail bone, but not exactly call it that because of their hairs texture. I'm one of them, my hair is thick and I have a lot of wave, my goal is tail bone natural, not pulled straight. So I'm actually quite close to tail bone (I just took my hair down and realized when pulled straight I only have about an inch to go), but I want my hair to tail bone natural so my guess is that's around 40". Unfortunately I don't know my exact measurement right now because my hubby hijacked my tape measure and still hasn't found it (it's probably in one of his toolboxes) - I'm probably around 36" now, but I don't know.

goodenough
September 16th, 2008, 07:45 PM
So I found the tape measure--I'm at just about 31" (I'm gonna check that again before I change my profile) That would mean I grew 4 inches since whenever LHC came back up--when was that? (I don't measure every month.) I think I would call myself officially waist now. I measured real tailbone on me as 39" --that's a long way to go. I think I'd be happy at 35, which would be the top of my hips I guess. I'm almost 5'7"

I didn't mention how many layers I have--they start at apl and go from there, although in the back, they start maybe eight inches from the hem. I also have a pretty steep "u" so my sides are much shorter than the very back. Maybe I'll get to a length I can do more updo's with, and then maintain to get rid of them. The layers don't cause too many updo problems--if anything they help because they make my hair thinner on the ends. I'll work on pictures when I find my camera:)

I'm really glad I asked for your input. I feel much happier with where I'm going now. I'm glad to hear washing won't be much more difficult--that's a big concern. I could go to twice a week washings if I could stand the third day smell. Maybe I'll just spray it with cologne. I guess now I have a new goal--better update my profile!! Tailbone (or nearly there)--here I come!

Chromis
September 16th, 2008, 08:17 PM

I've always thought of it as simply where your hair hits your coccyx which starts a good inch above the crack on me (just what y'all wanted to compare, right :lol:?!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccyx

I did find mine much easier to put up at tail bone than waist on me. At not-quite-classic things have gotten a little more challenging in the updo department but I find every six or eight inches old styles that hadn't been working suddenly work again. Probably has to do with how much is needed for a full wrap.

Nevermore
September 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
34 inches is pulled-straight tailbone for me, I'm 5'0.

dorothea-brooke
September 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM
<snip> I find every six or eight inches old styles that hadn't been working suddenly work again. Probably has to do with how much is needed for a full wrap.

Yes, of course -- that makes perfect sense! Right now I'm in the "middle zone" of a full cinnabun coil, so haven't been doing any cinnabun-based styles at all. Need about 2 more inches, I guess.

I never thought of it this way.... :shrug:

Jeni
September 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
34 inches is pulled-straight tailbone for me, I'm 5'0.

I just measured where TBL (where the "crack" starts?) and it's 35.5" and I'm 5'10"...though most of my height is in my legs (inseam of 35.5"). Never thought a short torso would be a good thing!

psycho
September 16th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I just measured where TBL (where the "crack" starts?) and it's 35.5" and I'm 5'10"...though most of my height is in my legs (inseam of 35.5"). Never thought a short torso would be a good thing!

Hehe...a good thing until you head for knee-length :D

Now that I've finally pretty much gotten past my torso I'm looking forward to growing down my relatively stubby legs ;)

Juneii
September 16th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I would die to have your thickness right now, my hair is only at 4" in an up do with bangs :( my hair used to be thicker but I shed a lot a few years ago and the hair is taking forever to grow back if at all.

let your hair grow out, it'll be much easier to style with longer hair

Jeni
September 16th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hehe...a good thing until you head for knee-length :D

Now that I've finally pretty much gotten past my torso I'm looking forward to growing down my relatively stubby legs ;)

I have no plans to go past TBL (classic at the most, but probably not). But yea, if I was I would not be happy...

Nightshade
September 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM

There's two versions of tailbone, the "real tailbone" and "LHC tailbone."

Most times on LHC tailbone is just past hip, at the top of the pockets/top of the vertical smile.

REAL tailbone is here:
http://www.stjohn.org/StaywellTesting/img.aspx?6097

So actually about haldway between waist and classic, or at least halfway down your bum. When I measured to "tailbone" it was 36 inches to legit tailbone, so halfway down my butt. :) ETA: If it helps I'm 5'5".

dorothea-brooke
September 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the anatomical clarifications, Chromis and Nightshade! :D

As Justice Potter Stewart infamously said, "I know it when I see it!" I think I usually judge TB instinctively as where NS suggested: about half-way down the butt....

Definitely gotta re-measure. :o

Beldaran
September 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Really the coxyx is the tailbone, but a lot of us are talking about the tip of it as being tailbone length. It is virtually impossible to tell your coxyx from your sacrum by feeling, so those of you saying your tailbone is at the top of your crack, that's actually the sacrum. (While standing anyway, things shift when sitting)

Check out this defenition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrum), and specifically this picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Illu_vertebral_column.jpg).

I think we need a "sacral length" for top of the crack.

dorothea-brooke
September 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Really the coxyx is the tailbone, but a lot of us are talking about the tip of it as being tailbone length. It is virtually impossible to tell your coxyx from your sacrum by feeling, so those of you saying your tailbone is at the top of your crack, that's actually the sacrum. (While standing anyway, things shift when sitting)

Check out this defenition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrum), and specifically this picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Illu_vertebral_column.jpg).

I think we need a "sacral length" for top of the crack.

I like that.... I wouldn't really want to go around posting "crack length" all over the public forums :lol:, so I think "sacral length" has a nice, medically official sound to it. :cool:

Nightshade
September 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Sacral Length aka "Flosses when Wet" Length :twisted:

dorothea-brooke
September 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Sacral Length aka "Flosses when Wet" Length :twisted:

Hee hee! Yah, can't wait.... ;)

bjt
September 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM
pretty funny thread!
I have fairly thick hair and its well past my waist but not as long as my tailbone. The tailbone is the absolute longest I can stand my hair. Yes, its true that the added length is a little easier to do buns, but if its at or longer than my tailbone, I get the afore mentioned flossing as well as starting to sit on it, which I find totally irritating, and it gets stuck in my pants and clothes more often at that length. But it does look nice when its longer than waist.

so I tend to cut it about every 2 years and keep it between these two lengths.

One other draw back that I have to hair longer than my waist is while I have a nice thin waist, I have fairly thick butt/thighs. So, I like showing my waist so I don't look so heavy. But if my hair is butt-length and its down, it hides my waist and I look quite heavy. Don't know if thats a concern for anyone else, but its something I think about.