PDA

View Full Version : Need a shampoo without harmful chemicals, any advice please?

pri108
May 14th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Hi,

I have used one shampoo since 5 years now, and when i read this article i found something sounding like the cocamide DEA (cancer causing chemical) in my shampoo - Pantene clarifying, the ingreidents are cocamidopropyl betaine and cocamide MEA. I thought of switching to Lush shampoos, but also saw lush in the list of shampoos that were found to have that chemical (see article below).

Do you know of any shampoo that is definitely safe to use.

http://ecowatch.com/2013/08/29/cancer-causing-chemical-in-shampoos/

Natalia
May 14th, 2014, 04:40 AM
If you want to avoid sulfates as well your best to go with decyl glucosides or shampoo bars. Aubrey's, griffin remedy, and i think everyday shea/coconut all use decyl glucoside. Shampoo bars are real soap oil, water, and sodium hydroxide lye. Lush bars are detergent bars for real shampoo bars check etsy, chagrin valley, apple valley, and henna sooq. JR liggett is one brand you may be able to find local i havent tried that one but some people love it.

hennalonghair
May 14th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Mill creeks
Jason
Kiss my face
Avalon organics
Natures gate
Theraneem
Burt's bees
Prairie Natures

There are soooo many
love those shampoo bars

momschicklets
May 14th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I haven't researched every ingredient, but this is my absolute favorite shampoo and its absolutely sulfate free and just lovely...

http://www.amazon.com/DermOrganic-Sulfate-Free-Conditioning-Shampoo-Organic/dp/B002XWZH6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400066512&sr=8-2&keywords=dermorganics+shampoo

midbackorbust
May 14th, 2014, 05:30 AM
If it helps I use Andalou Naturals moisturizing shampoo and it's all-natural and very lovely :)
Good luck!

gonzobird
May 14th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Shampoo bars!

ravenheather
May 14th, 2014, 06:39 AM
If you don't like shampoo bars, try Toadstool shampoo on etsy. Its soap based but ph balanced and comes in a lot of different scents or unscented.

mira-chan
May 14th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Another option is herbal washing, you can make your own strained liquids that can be thickened up with starch to act like shampoo.

In2wishin
May 14th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I am partial to Avalon Organics http://www.avalonorganics.com/?title=Hair+Care

divinedobbie
May 14th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I've used both Aubrey Organics and Burt's Bees with success, they're both natural and I didn't see anything harmful when I looked through the ingredients.

Anje
May 14th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I imagine a shampoo with harmful chemicals wouldn't be allowed to remain on the market for long. ;)

What is it that you're specifically sensitive to and avoiding?

KaleidoscopeEyz
May 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I've been liking the Avalon Organics biotin thickening shampoo. I find the matching conditioner isn't moisturizing enough for me though, so I have been mixing it with VO5. Another good brand is Aubrey Organics. Dr Bronners liquid Castile soaps can be used for shampoo but that may be a bit drying. Natures Gate chamomile moisturizing conditioner was very nice. Not sure on their shampoos. The less chemicals, the better. There's also always the baking soda and ACV method to washing! And herb rinses! And the no poo method! :)

lapushka
May 14th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I imagine a shampoo with harmful chemicals wouldn't be allowed to remain on the market for long. ;)

What is it that you're specifically sensitive to and avoiding?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! :)

blue_eyes
May 14th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I thought I recalled the Rainforest shampoo from The Body Shop being free of harmful chemicals & sulfates. I'm not 100% sure but I've been using it and like it very much. It also smells amazing.

cheetahfast
May 14th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I love Shea Moisture. All of their stuff is natural and organic. It's available at most stores too, like Target and CVS.

ErinLeigh
May 14th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Etsy has a lot of nice ones. I would start there.
Drugstore wise there is shea moisture off the top of my head.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 14th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't have thought shampoos are that harmful, and how long are they on your head anyway? JMHO...

bunnylake
May 14th, 2014, 02:48 PM
To echo some commenters above, there really are no harmful shampoos on the market. You may be allergic or sensitive some ingredients, or prefer to use only certain products, but there is nothing on the market I've ever heard of that is a health hazard.

I love many organic companies but the truth is they are trying to sell you their products. They are small and they need to compete with bigger mainstream companies. How do they compete? They tell you there are "bad chemicals" in mainstream products. It's all marketing.
For perspective, water is a chemical, and our bodies naturally produce formaldehyde, and EVERYTHING is toxic at the right concentration.
In my opinion, people should worry much more about what they are ingesting than what they are putting on their hair!

florenonite
May 14th, 2014, 03:57 PM
To echo some commenters above, there really are no harmful shampoos on the market. You may be allergic or sensitive some ingredients, or prefer to use only certain products, but there is nothing on the market I've ever heard of that is a health hazard.

I love many organic companies but the truth is they are trying to sell you their products. They are small and they need to compete with bigger mainstream companies. How do they compete? They tell you there are "bad chemicals" in mainstream products. It's all marketing.
For perspective, water is a chemical, and our bodies naturally produce formaldehyde, and EVERYTHING is toxic at the right concentration.
In my opinion, people should worry much more about what they are ingesting than what they are putting on their hair!

Watch out for that dihydrogen monoxide; you don't wanna wash your hair in that ;)

Avenie
May 14th, 2014, 04:22 PM
The cocamide DEA debate has raged for a while, with no real evidence to support the claim it causes cancer. Lush's position is that it's only harmful in very large amounts after extended time on the skin and after it's had a lengthy reaction time with other ingredients (ie: use it by the sell-by date, on Lush product.)

Everything is 'a chemical'. Water. Air. Juice. It can all be given a fancy science name.

I don't really know where I am on the cocamide DEA thing. Maybe it's bad. Maybe it's not. If I get cancer I could blame a thousand things, including shampoo, but there are probably things more likely to cause it in my life than shampoo (traffic fumes. Genetic lottery.)