PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Wildly Inconsistent

MadeiraD
May 13th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I had my husband measure my hair and the measurement seems to vary by up to 1.5 inches? How do I get a consistent measurement?

neko_kawaii
May 13th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I measure when wet and combed and get fairly consistent results.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I measure when wet and combed and get fairly consistent results.

Yes, this and also i would suggest doing it with dental floss and either tie a knot or mark it with a pencil. I really do pull, because i want to get all the air out, otherwise it just varies too much.

ExpectoPatronum
May 14th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I measure my hair stretched...the wave can make the measurement vary too much.

Verdandi
May 14th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Wet hair would be easier to measure, I think. I rarely measure mine, as I get so inconsistent result. If I should trust my measurements, my hair have grown shorter at waist than it was at BLS ;)

ooglipoo
May 14th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Is Wildly Inconsistent the name you given your hair? It's a great sounding one, if it is... :D

I like to use yarn and then measure the yarn. Don't know if that helps... But then again, I don't measure that often. You're doing the caffeine challenge, though, aren't you? So I guess measuring is appropriate... Huh. Neko's measure wet and combed makes the most sense, I suppose.

Stormynights
May 14th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Standing in the same spot and staring at the same place helps to keep your head in the same position.

florenonite
May 14th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I usually measure a couple of times then take the average. Usually the measurements are pretty close to one another, though. Then again, I've been measuring my hair for nearly 7 years :p

Leeloo
May 14th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I make a ponytail, then slide the elastic down to gather all the ends and stretch the hair when measuring. I make sure my hair is completely dry beforehand (I get very inconsistent messurments with wet hair since it stretches differently depending on how wet it is). I also measure 3 times and take the average length.

velorutionista
May 14th, 2014, 09:59 AM
ok, this might seem odd, but I tie a piece of yarn to a center tooth in my comb, then, holding the yarn at the center of my front hairline, comb straight back and down till i run out of hair (letting the yarn slide along the same spot at my front hairline as I comb). Then i measure the length of the yarn. I also take the average of a few tries.

divinedobbie
May 14th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Standing in the same spot and staring at the same place helps to keep your head in the same position.

This is what I do too, it really makes a difference.

memeow
May 14th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I measure my hair stretched...the wave can make the measurement vary too much.

I do this too. I'm always scared I'm cheating but otherwise how humid it is and how much I handle my hair while it's drying make a difference of about 2 inches....