PDA

View Full Version : Please give me your opinion on how much I should cut my hair

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2014, 01:26 PM
In January, I posted a thread on whether or not to cut my thin ends from dye, and razor layers. I cut off 2.5" but obviously it wasn't enough and I've been trying to avoid cutting my hair again but I'm at wits end. I really need to just suck it up and chop some hair off. If healthy hair was your priority, based on this picture, where would you cut the hair back to?
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/23637f60-ce8b-4a23-b9d7-a6c3d24bb69b_zpsb04dbb5f.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/23637f60-ce8b-4a23-b9d7-a6c3d24bb69b_zpsb04dbb5f.jpg.html)
If this was a perfect world, I'd personally whack it off at 14 inches and get rid of every last bit of dye and damage. My second-best plan would be to chop it off to around 17-18 inches and cut off 1/2 inch every month until all the dye is gone.

But as many of you now (cause I keep going on and on about the ends, sorry!) I'm very attached to my length. Having long hair (long in the sense that shoulder would be short right now) is part of my identity and I do not feel the least bit attractive or confident with short hair. I'm moving cities and transferring to a new university in September, and it's so important to me, to feel confident. I realize hair shouldn't mean that much, but it just does, to me. I know I do need to cut some off though so I'd love to hear your opinions on how much I should cut off, and then how much I actually need to cut off.

Here is another photo on a better day when the ends don't look quite so ratty:
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/e42fe5aa-8c44-4fd7-b7bc-c6604affbe41_zps37dc62ba.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/e42fe5aa-8c44-4fd7-b7bc-c6604affbe41_zps37dc62ba.jpg.html)

ETA: The first picture is after my first time using grapeseed oil. I washed my hair afterwards but my hair still looks very stringy.

Update - trimmed to a solid 23 inches:
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/96666dc8-4512-448b-93ba-a3b3602e88ec_zps5768d1a0.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/96666dc8-4512-448b-93ba-a3b3602e88ec_zps5768d1a0.jpg.html)

queenovnight
May 13th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Well, I want to start off by saying that your ends aren't as bad as you think and it's definitely salvageable. Moving on. I think about to the 19" mark needs to be cut off. But personally, if it was my hair.. I'd cut off an inch or two, and then maintain at that length until the dye had grown out. - That's what I did when I had dyed hair. Worked out pretty well.

hellucy
May 13th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Only you can know how short is too short for your liking so I would say start with just little (1") trims with maybe a week between each to get used to the new length.
If it was me - to keep the length I would cut to around 20" that way it's not as short as shoulder and just short of APL. To me it looks as if the outer/edge layers finish at about 20" that seems to be were the thinness/fairytale ends start.
I also had fairytale/thinning ends and in Feb I cut from 28" to 22" which completely got rid of them but then in April I cut another 4"(ish) to get rid of all but the last inch of old dye I decided I would rather have healthy hair than longer dry two tone hair I wasn't happy with.
Hope you make a decision you are happy with.

bunzfan
May 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I think even a half inch would make a difference it just needs a micro trim, have you considered doing that regularly to thicken up your ends it really works.

Lyv
May 13th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I don't think it looks too damaged but if I were to cut I'd probably go up to the 20 inch mark. If you want to keep length maybe just trim a couple of inches and then maintain there until you're happy with the way it looks.

Quasiquixotic
May 13th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Based on your op I would maintain at the length you are at now. Until you feel your ends have improved. Unless wearing your hair down is important and then I would cut to the 18-20 range.

Leeloo
May 13th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I agree with others on this thread, I'd trim an inch or two and then microtrim

KittyBird
May 13th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I'd cut at the 20" mark, which looks like it would leave your hair at apl or maybe a bit shorter.. I honestly don't think your ends look that bad, and if you don't want to lose a lot of length, try cutting just 1" first and see how it goes. If you're very attached to your hair, it's easier to do it bit by bit. :)

Wosie
May 13th, 2014, 02:07 PM
If it were my hair I think I'd trim it off to 22 inches. As for how much you need to cut off... It's hard to tell, as I can't feel the texture of your hair. That's how I know when I have to trim, when the ends feels really dry and velcro'y even after a clarifying wash + SMT (or another moisturizing treatment). Also, I have to ask whether you have a lot of split ends or not?

I understand how you feel, I am also very attached to my length but I know I have to cut away the longest layers (from having grown out a short pixie) sooner or later... :/

duchess67
May 13th, 2014, 02:17 PM
If I were you, I'd trim off to 23" or till 22" max. If you are attached to the length it's a good idea to micro trim, take an inch off or so. And trim more if you are still not happy.

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I just cut some, it's a good feeling! I'll post some photos in a minute. I measured, I think I'm at about 23.5". I'll post a photo so everyone can reasses whether I still need to cut more but I have a feeling I'll leave it alone to grow back those two inches over the summer so I'll be at the same length I was pre-trim before I move.

Anje
May 13th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I think I'd opt to cut at the 22" mark and maintain for a while. No, that doesn't entirely get rid of the thinner ends, but they'll be a lot thicker at that point without sacrificing a lot of length.

Chromis
May 13th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I'd just do microtrims and wear it up. Cutting to APL right before summer sounds pretty stifling to me since I couldn't put mine up very well when it was that short! Whatever you decide I would not cut it so short that you can't put it up since in my experience, that is one of the best ways to keep tangles at bay.

I don't think your ends are that bad really and no matter how much you cut, it will always seem like they would look sooo much thicker if only you cut another inch. I go through that with my own hair :lol:

eadwine
May 13th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I'm with the 22 mark tops people :) It doesn't look bad at all on the pictures.

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Here is right after I cut it off. I didn't think of taking a pic of the ends in the pony before I cut it but it's a huge difference, or so it seems. :p
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/dfcc15b9-7cce-44e4-80e3-afc2af6c2488_zps854f27f8.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/dfcc15b9-7cce-44e4-80e3-afc2af6c2488_zps854f27f8.jpg.html)

And here is my new length, albeit a little uneven, a solid 23 inches:
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/96666dc8-4512-448b-93ba-a3b3602e88ec_zps5768d1a0.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/96666dc8-4512-448b-93ba-a3b3602e88ec_zps5768d1a0.jpg.html)

martyna_22
May 13th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I was going to tell you to go for a microtrim and that I wouldn't go shorter than 22" if I were you. Too late ;)
Glad you are satisfied with the results :) Your ends look really nice now.
Your hair is so pretty! When I opened the thread and started scrolling down and managed to scroll down to about 20" I thought your hair was much longer (no idea why), but the point is, your hair is gorgeous, the way it reflects light is so nice :)

Larki
May 13th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I'd go to around 19 or 20 inches, basically shoulderblade length.

Anje
May 13th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Ooh, looks nice. It doesn't look like you lost a ton of length, but the ends are looking good now.

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I was going to tell you to go for a microtrim and that I wouldn't go shorter than 22" if I were you. Too late ;)
Glad you are satisfied with the results :) Your ends look really nice now.
Your hair is so pretty! When I opened the thread and started scrolling down and managed to scroll down to about 20" I thought your hair was much longer (no idea why), but the point is, your hair is gorgeous, the way it reflects light is so nice :)

Thank you so much, that is so sweet :flower: I am definitely so much happier since I started growing out my natural colour.

duchess67
May 13th, 2014, 03:00 PM
It's already looking nice, ends look thicker too. You didn't end up losing much length :)

redredrobin
May 13th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I was going to suggest 23" and then I saw you cut to that :).

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Ooh, looks nice. It doesn't look like you lost a ton of length, but the ends are looking good now.

It's already looking nice, ends look thicker too. You didn't end up losing much length :)

Thank you :) I was really tempted to go another inch and cut to 22 but I will wait a few more weeks and maybe microtrim. But if it still looks fine I will continue growing without trims as the ends feel soft and nice - just not that nice visually.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 13th, 2014, 03:47 PM
If I were you I wouldn't "cut", being attached to my length. I would microtrim instead to allow the thickness to move down to your ends and you could still gain some length while you are trimming, just don't trim all your new growth each time you trim.

Kherome
May 13th, 2014, 04:01 PM
In January, I posted a thread on whether or not to cut my thin ends from dye, and razor layers. I cut off 2.5" but obviously it wasn't enough and I've been trying to avoid cutting my hair again but I'm at wits end. I really need to just suck it up and chop some hair off. If healthy hair was your priority, based on this picture, where would you cut the hair back to?

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/IMG_4579_zpsdebd3e9f.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/IMG_4579_zpsdebd3e9f.jpg.html)

If this was a perfect world, I'd personally whack it off at 14 inches and get rid of every last bit of dye and damage. My second-best plan would be to chop it off to around 17-18 inches and cut off 1/2 inch every month until all the dye is gone.

But as many of you now (cause I keep going on and on about the ends, sorry!) I'm very attached to my length. Having long hair (long in the sense that shoulder would be short right now) is part of my identity and I do not feel the least bit attractive or confident with short hair. I'm moving cities and transferring to a new university in September, and it's so important to me, to feel confident. I realize hair shouldn't mean that much, but it just does, to me. I know I do need to cut some off though so I'd love to hear your opinions on how much I should cut off, and then how much I actually need to cut off.

Here is another photo on a better day when the ends don't look quite so ratty:
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/e42fe5aa-8c44-4fd7-b7bc-c6604affbe41_zps37dc62ba.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/e42fe5aa-8c44-4fd7-b7bc-c6604affbe41_zps37dc62ba.jpg.html)

ETA: The first picture is after my first time using grapeseed oil. I washed my hair afterwards but my hair still looks very stringy.

18.5/19 inches is where I would cut. It's about APLish it seems. I am a big one for quality over quantity which is why I have reached Classic 4 times and cut. It can be a little frustrating to feel like you're reaching the same milestone over and over BUT my ends are getting thicker and thicker with each cut and growth back to Classic. Hair like yours (similar to mine, VERY similar in fact) NEEDS to be cut if you want it to be blunt/thick at the ends. After you get the cut I highly recommend cutting at least .5" every three months. It slows down your progress BUT it avoids the need for big chops in the future. Good luck!

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM
It looks great. Now you can grow out even healthier hair. ^_^

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2014, 04:41 PM
As a lot of people have suggested microtrimming, I will probably do that. I have a hard time trimming just a tiny bit every month but I think what kherome mentioned will work well - cutting half an inch every three months or so.

Just for fun, here is a picture from about four years ago before my hair ever knew what dye was. This was back when my mom cut my hair, in a blunt fashion and this is the thickness I'd like to get back to at the hemline except longer hair :D. This picture was when I was washing every day with SLS shampoo, piling my hair on top of head when washing, ripping through with a brush, blowdrying every day etc, so I hope my hair can get even nicer now that I have much, much better habits!
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/67749_1538494936364_6575238_n_zps84eb7d90.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/67749_1538494936364_6575238_n_zps84eb7d90.jpg.html )

florenonite
May 13th, 2014, 04:50 PM
I think your new cut made a big difference to the overall thickness and neatness of your hemline. From now on I'd suggest cutting around half your growth every couple of months (so if your hair grows at 0.5" a month, then cut of 0.25" a month or 0.5" every 2-3 months). By September you'll notice a real difference in your hemline.

kganihanova
May 13th, 2014, 05:42 PM
21 inches is what I'd cut to.

ErinLeigh
May 13th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I think your hair is nice and does not look "visibly damaged."
I wouldn't go any shorter then APL if it were me. That length would give you the fullness of one length you seek but still be long enough to grow back quickly.

Personally I am a big chopper as damage upsets me. I can't "move on" until it's gone ( or as much as I can get off and then maintain a year) but I am always hesitant to suggest it to others since its a long hair forum and there are other ways to reach goal and keep length.

Edit. just saw the cut. It looks nice! Mictotrimming from there would be good option. You did a great job on the trim and length chosen. Your hair looks very pretty.

Kherome
May 14th, 2014, 05:44 AM
As a lot of people have suggested microtrimming, I will probably do that. I have a hard time trimming just a tiny bit every month but I think what kherome mentioned will work well - cutting half an inch every three months or so.

Yeah, it will. Microtrimming is too futzy for me. With hair of this type (same as me) it's a huge mistake to not cut though. IME (I went nearly a year without trimming) it grows along fine but the ends wind up thin and see through because of the different growth rates of the hairs. This might not be a problem in someone who is M or C or iii, but in a F ii head of hair it results in see through hair. The best thing you can do for this hair type is to keep up with regular trims and accept a slight slow down in reaching new lengths. Now when I am tempted to skip a trim I give myself a good talking to and march in to my stylist. (I have a good one, a dude, who only cuts what I ask him to.) .5" every three months isn't bad anyway. I mean, if you grow at the "average" rate you gain 1.5" in that time frame. So you're still ahead by a whole inch every three months.

CurlMonster
May 14th, 2014, 06:22 AM
The cut looks lovely. As I was reading your post I was thinking it didn't look as thin/damaged as you described, and hoped you hadn't cut off a whole bunch! I think that was the perfect amount to chop and now you can happily microtrim or similar from there to get rid of the dye in time. :)

Mainesongbird
May 14th, 2014, 06:36 AM
I'd trim it to the 20" mark, then I think you would be good for a while! =D

rigato
May 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Cut it about 22 inches I think that that should do it.

eadwine
May 14th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I'd edit the first post stating you already cut (if you haven't done that yet) :lol:

Good going on making the decision :)

lapushka
May 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I would cut to 23 inches. That seems like a perfect trim to me to get rid of the fairytale ends.

Oops, just read you already cut!

divinedobbie
May 14th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice and opinions, I appreciate all the input I get :flower:

I would cut to 23 inches. That seems like a perfect trim to me to get rid of the fairytale ends.

Oops, just read you already cut!

Great minds think alike! :agree:

queenovnight
May 14th, 2014, 11:30 AM
The cut looks great!

Angelica
May 14th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I didn't really think you needed to cut much at all. The hair doesn't have to be perfectly blunt to look good and your hair looks great to me.

Wosie
May 14th, 2014, 12:27 PM
You did a really good job with the trim! (^_^)d By the way, the picture in your signature is beautiful. :crush: Hair, ribbon, dress and all!

door72067
May 14th, 2014, 12:34 PM
if you wear your hair up a lot, 21"/22" mark

if you want to wear your hair down (and basing it the way he question was posed: what would *I* do, if that were my hair) I'd got to somewhere around the 17" mark (which is just what I did last November! Yes, I miss the length but do not miss the line between virgin/colored hair)

good luck making your decision...it's always better to take too little off and go back for another trim (also what I did, went from just about waist to BSL in October then the should in November) than to chop all at once and have major regret