PDA

View Full Version : My Daughter is losing hair!!!

DreamingLong
September 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
My daughter has a bald spot right on her crown where her hair has fallen out, it's about the size of a quarter right now. It's dry and flaky in the spot! She was complaining about a week ago of a dry and itchy scalp. I'm scared!

eadwine
September 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Get her to a doctor and get her checked out. That is the best thing you can do right now.

girlcat36
September 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Could be a fungus, maybe ringworm?

SweetPea88
September 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'm with Eadwine-see a doctor as soon as you can. :grouphug:

susiemw
September 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM
My daughter has a bald spot right on her crown where her hair has fallen out, it's about the size of a quarter right now. It's dry and flaky in the spot! She was complaining about a week ago of a dry and itchy scalp. I'm scared!

Get her in to see a good dermatologist. There are a lot of things that can cause hair loss. Getting a good diagnosis is the first step towards getting her started on the right treatment

good luck to your daughter!

Susan

Shanarana
September 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I agree.....doctor visit is in order here. Better to be safe and know what's going on. It is probably nothing major, but to at least ease your mind and your daughters mind.

Angelica
September 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I thought at first it sounded like alopecia - in most cases the condition improves. Worrying about it will make matters worse.

Because you mention the dry itchy patch I think it could be a fungal infection too.

I am sure a doctor or a trichologist can help her out.

Good luck.

Arctic_Mama
September 16th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Dry and itchy patch? Sounds like classic ringworm to me. My daughter has a spot on her leg she picked up from a kid at nursery. it's EASILY treatable, if that is indeed what it is. Good luck and I hope you two get to the bottom of it!

Kirin
September 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Was just going to say, ringworm.... definately take her to a doctor.

DreamingLong
September 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I called and made an appt. with her dermatoligist for Thursday, I hope it's just ringworm, now that you all mentioned that, I remembered that my little sister had it about 3 weeks ago. There is n red edge around it though.

Arctic_Mama
September 16th, 2008, 09:38 PM
My daughter's didn't get any red, it was just a raised, dry, itchy patch. It could easily be something else, like alopecia areata, but usually that just presents with a bald patch, not scaling or itching. Eczema can sometimes do that, too.

A dermatologist is a good move. Let us know how it goes :)

*BelievingAgain
September 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Aw, I'm sure your daughter will be fine, but I'm still sending you both lots of stay well wishes! And Mum, don't worry, that will only make you feel worse!!
:flower:

utdesertrunner
September 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'm sure it's just fine. My first thought was also ringworm, which is easily treatable. Where its dry and flaky, I'm sure it's some sort of fungus. Eczema can also be in a small circle, but I've never had it make my boys hair fall out though. You're a good mama! :)

Darian Moone
September 16th, 2008, 11:54 PM
This is a quotation from WebMD regarding ringworm. Sounds like the red circle could definitely be an indicator. It also sounds very easy to treat, thankfully. HTH.

"What does ringworm of the scalp or beard look like?

Ringworm of the scalp or beard often looks like round, bald patches. Most often, the infection spreads outward while the inside of the circle clears up. This makes the infection look like a ring. The name "ringworm" comes from this pattern.

But ringworm of the scalp or beard doesn't always make a ring pattern. Sometimes it just looks like dandruff. In some cases the hair breaks off, leaving stubble that looks like black dots. Sometimes people get ringworm but do not have any symptoms

In the most severe cases, the infected area is swollen, red, crusty, and painful, with small bumps that look like blisters.

Ringworm is contagious, meaning it can spread from one person to another easily. If you or someone in your family has the symptoms listed above, it is important to see your doctor.

How is ringworm of the scalp or beard diagnosed?

If you have a ring-shaped rash, you very likely have ringworm. Your doctor will be able to tell for sure. He or she will probably look at a hair or skin sample under a microscope to check for the ringworm fungus. You may have other tests. But most of the time, none are needed.

How is it treated?

Ringworm of the scalp or beard is easy to treat. Your doctor will prescribe pills that will kill the fungus. And you can use special shampoo to keep ringworm from spreading to others.