PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine Hair Rinse Question

queenovnight
May 13th, 2014, 06:45 AM
As I was spritzing coffee onto my scalp, I got to wondering..

Is there any scientific evidence that this actually promotes growth and reduces shedding?
Those of you who have tried (or do) this, did you notice a difference?

- I THINK this is the proper place to post this. But I'm not positive.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I sometimes make a rinse of very strong black coffee, a bag of sage tea and a bit of ascorbic acid. Also one of my favorite washing conditioners contains caffeine. I do naturally shed quiet alot without having any thinning problems, so i always think i could gain even more thickness if i get it too slow down. Actually i do not notice less hair in my comb, but i kind of think sometimes that my hair looks more dense at the roots where i part it. I just recently started to measure my circumfence, so i cant really tell if it had any effect on that. Anyways, a coffe rinse is said to be good to intensify dark colors as well, so i'm sure it does pay of in one way or another. I've heard people having good results with black tea as well, and garlic oil is apparently one of the most scalp stimulating things, but i can't bring myself to try it because of the smell. X'D

~Abi~
May 13th, 2014, 07:13 AM
We've been talking about this over on the "Growth Rate Experiments" thread. Several of us are measuring to see if caffeine actually does increase growth for us. I mix coffee into my henna mix, and I get crazy growth for two weeks after henna-ing.

Because the thread is incredibly long, I'll just link here - this article was posted citing a study on the effects of caffeine. http://www.hairboutique.com/blogs_p/index.php/2012/09/10/coffee-hair-growth-secrets/

queenovnight
May 13th, 2014, 07:31 AM
MINAKO,
I'd be happy with intensified color on it's own! Lol Also, I tried the onion one, and that was just dreadful. I would never try garlic! Too far. Just too far. Lol.

~Abi~
Thanks! I'll have to check that out!

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Yeah, definitely too far, i mean i can handle something that doesn't smell like flowers, but not something that stinks like from a mile away. I once tried a treatment with ghee, and it made my hair insanely soft, but was impossible to wash it out completely and my hair smelled kinda rancid for days. :mad:

queenovnight
May 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM
MINAKO,
Ghee? You've warned me, but im going to have to look this up!

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 12:53 PM
It's some indian kind of pure butter fat, extracted in a way thats very healthy fpr the body apparently. Lol, i have no idea and just figured it would be kinda intense on the hair. Well it was unbelievably soft, but the smell lingered and made me nauseous. I don't even think anybody else did really notice but i hated getting a whiff of my hair until i had enough and loaded my CO Wash with peppermint oil. :laugh:

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 01:24 PM
As I was spritzing coffee onto my scalp, I got to wondering..

Is there any scientific evidence that this actually promotes growth and reduces shedding?
Those of you who have tried (or do) this, did you notice a difference?

- I THINK this is the proper place to post this. But I'm not positive.

The only scientific research I've seen on topical application of caffeine to increase hair growth is this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17214716
The problem I have with this research by Dr. Fischer is that it was done on balding men with androgenetic alopecia, and in conjunction with testosterone (which speeds up AGA balding). So it may not work for us.

"RESULTS: [...] Significant growth suppression was found in hair follicles treated with 5 microg/ml testosterone. This was counteracted by caffeine in concentrations of 0.001% and 0.005%. Moreover, caffeine alone led to a significant stimulation of hair follicle growth.
CONCLUSIONS: Androgen-dependent growth inhibition of ex vivo hair follicles from patients suffering from AGA was present in the human hair organ culture model, a constellation which may serve for future studies to screen new substances against androgen-dependent hair loss. Caffeine was identified as a stimulator of human hair growth in vitro; a fact which may have important clinical impact in the management of AGA."

I'd love to see more research into this. There are lots of shampoos containing caffeine in the market these days, especially "growth-promoting" shampoos, and I think it's a good thing. Just don't forget you need to massage it in for 2 minutes for caffeine to penetrate stratum corneum.

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 01:34 PM
It's some indian kind of pure butter fat, extracted in a way thats very healthy fpr the body apparently. Lol, i have no idea and just figured it would be kinda intense on the hair. Well it was unbelievably soft, but the smell lingered and made me nauseous. I don't even think anybody else did really notice but i hated getting a whiff of my hair until i had enough and loaded my CO Wash with peppermint oil. :laugh:
:D Nothing wrong with ghee (apart from the rancid smell), if your hair is super-damaged and super-dry. Ghee is simply clarified butter, it's sold in any Indian store, and you can easily make your own by simmering butter. It's so highly recommended in India as a deep treatment that I used ghee once, and it was really hard to wash out (oiliness lasted me a couple of washes), but it should work like a charm if your hair is so dry that you are considering chopping.
I might add a spoon into a deep treatment like an SMT if my hair feels dry.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Does anyone here who's done this before suggest for us to try this? If it really works, I'd give it a shot. c:

TrapperCreekD
May 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Does anyone here who's done this before suggest for us to try this? If it really works, I'd give it a shot. c:

The caffeine or the ghee? :confused: If you're asking about the caffeine rinse, it worked for me. I usually get half an inch a month, and this month I gained 1"!