PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on thick hair?

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 05:59 AM
I've been hearing a lot of talk about thick hair, and was wondering your thoughts on it. A lot of people think of thick hair as a bad thing, but I think it's beautiful. What are your thoughts?

lapushka
May 13th, 2014, 06:30 AM
It can be a pain in the butt, as far as updos go (you need *much* longer lengths for the most basic of updos). But it depends on what you call thick. Over here a ponytail of 4 inches circumference is thick hair, below that is "normal".

Lindenare
May 13th, 2014, 06:59 AM
As lapushka says, updos can be very difficult with thick hair. For an example, I can just barely do a lazy wrap bun at 1.5 inches from TBL, and I don't have enough length for a nautilus yet, while people with average thickness seem to be able to do those buns starting at midback or so. (My circumference is around 5 inches.) Pins are also tricky with thick hair; larger pins and more of them are often needed. Air doesn't penetrate to the scalp as readily, so a thick mane can be very hot in summer, especially if you have trouble putting it up. Thick hair also often needs more shampoo than normal to get the whole scalp and lots more conditioner. Again, using myself as an example, I've never been able to get my hair clean with the recommended quarter-size dollop of shampoo. I need almost twice that just to thoroughly clean my scalp. Elastics and barrettes are more likely to break or simply not hold in thick hair, and it's very hard to find barrettes large enough to hold well.

On the other hand, once thick hair gets long enough for updos, you have giant buns right away. The same hair that can be smothering in summer becomes a portable blanket in the winter. Braids look especially good in thick hair and can help keep it under control. It may not need as delicate treatment as thinner hair to grow long as far as mechanical damage is concerned - of course, this depends a lot on other hair characteristics. When you wear it down, there's a ton of volume even for straight hair types.

Basically, I might complain about my thick hair, but I really do enjoy it and wouldn't want to make it thinner. There are just as many good points to thick hair as there are problems.

queenovnight
May 13th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I love thick hair.

I use to hate it when I was younger (as I have it.) It's difficult to style, difficult to comb, takes forever to dry, hair is heavy. I hated it so much that I near shaved the bottom section of my hair, layered it and used wax products to weight it down. But eh, I got over it. I think it was LHC that helped. A good bit of women on this site have or appreciate thick hair. They show you that if thick hair is taken care of, it can be beautiful too.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 07:10 AM
The more, the merrier! I have nothing else to add... ;)

Madora
May 13th, 2014, 07:20 AM
The only downside to thick hair is shampooing/rinsing it. Other than that, I loved having very thick hair (back in the day). Never had trouble styling it or combing it either. If you know how to section it, you're way ahead of the game.

LadyCelestina
May 13th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Thick hair is hard to detangle,especially after being worn loose.

On an unrelated note. Now,as you can see,my stats are ii/iii,but that was measured when I suffered from an ED and my hair thickened up a bit since,but now I have bangs and a nape cut and still measure over 4 inch circumference pony both on top of head and at the nape.It used to be around 3,5 inches and was blunt cut ie. no bangs no undercut.So either it's magic or I'm doing something wrong with the measuring,but my hair is visually thick and behaves thick xD

soothsayer
May 13th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I like having thick-ish hair (really on the high end of "normal") because of the way it can fall when curled and left down. Putting it up, on the other hand, can be a hassle. It's heavy, hard to bend/fold, and a surefire way to eat up length with any braids. Even when my hair was at its longest, I still found it had to do braided styles without feeling like I've lost a lot of length.

lapushka
May 13th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Thick hair also often needs more shampoo than normal to get the whole scalp and lots more conditioner. Again, using myself as an example, I've never been able to get my hair clean with the recommended quarter-size dollop of shampoo. I need almost twice that just to thoroughly clean my scalp. Elastics and barrettes are more likely to break or simply not hold in thick hair, and it's very hard to find barrettes large enough to hold well.

I have about 4.25" of circumference, so your hair is much thicker than mine. But I get you on the shampoo front! My hair needs to be sectioned off for a wash (4 sections, top of the head, back of the head, and two sides). This sectioning, every section gets a glob of shampoo, allows for a better cleaning routine.

I also get you on the barrettes. They always sprang open, because I couldn't close them properly (they bulked out and barely snapped shut).

Once I had it thinned out, but regretted it instantly. I had a pixie cut back then and the hair dresser deemed it necessary to thin it out to "make it look better".

Larki
May 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I think thick hair just looks SO much better than than and "normal thickness" hair. Have no idea about how it would be to have it, but I wish I did have thick hair, it just looks so gorgeous and braids look way better on thick hair.

diddiedaisy
May 13th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Well I for one would love thicker hair. I have fine hair that can look like rats tails if it gets a breath on it!!!

I suppose like like everything there is a middle ground, too thin means hard work, too thick means hard work.

hennalonghair
May 13th, 2014, 09:35 AM
As lapushka says, updos can be very difficult with thick hair. For an example, I can just barely do a lazy wrap bun at 1.5 inches from TBL, and I don't have enough length for a nautilus yet, while people with average thickness seem to be able to do those buns starting at midback or so. (My circumference is around 5 inches.) Pins are also tricky with thick hair; larger pins and more of them are often needed. Air doesn't penetrate to the scalp as readily, so a thick mane can be very hot in summer, especially if you have trouble putting it up. Thick hair also often needs more shampoo than normal to get the whole scalp and lots more conditioner. Again, using myself as an example, I've never been able to get my hair clean with the recommended quarter-size dollop of shampoo. I need almost twice that just to thoroughly clean my scalp. Elastics and barrettes are more likely to break or simply not hold in thick hair, and it's very hard to find barrettes large enough to hold well.

On the other hand, once thick hair gets long enough for updos, you have giant buns right away. The same hair that can be smothering in summer becomes a portable blanket in the winter. Braids look especially good in thick hair and can help keep it under control. It may not need as delicate treatment as thinner hair to grow long as far as mechanical damage is concerned - of course, this depends a lot on other hair characteristic. When you wear it down, there's a ton of volume even for straight hair types.

Basically, I might complain about my thick hair, but I really do enjoy it and wouldn't want to make it thinner. There are just as many good points to thick hair as there are problems.

Spoken by a true thick hairer.... Lol
I completely agree. It's taken me a while to realize that its not merely incompetence why I can't do all those gorgeous styles of buns, its because my hair is too darn thick. Plus it takes ages to dry and doesn't like being manipulated too soon after washing.
I think we can get away with less washing than most people. I can go a whole week or so without washing it and it never looks dirty. It sure is REALLY hot in the summer months. My hair is also a 5 inch ponytail width and it can be difficult but I like having nice thick hair. Thick hair does NOT look good with fairy tale ends.
Blunt ends suit thick hair much more. Some people can rock the layered look quite nicely with wavy hair but unfortunately I'm not one of them....lol
One true pleasure from a thick hair women to another is finding the right hair toys.
Flexi clips all the way! If you get a variety of them you can create so many secure dos that look adorable.
I've got the minis to megas and I LOVE those things.
Now I'm searching for the right type of sticks and combs.
This was the kind of thread I was looking for today.

What kind of styles do the rest of you manage to pull off?

lapushka
May 13th, 2014, 09:39 AM

Ever since hitting waist/hip, I love a LWB. A cinnabun is in my options, but it's still a little loose in the sense that it near comes undone when worn, so... will take me a little more length, I guess.

florenonite
May 13th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I completely agree. It's taken me a while to realize that its not merely incompetence why I can't do all those gorgeous styles of buns, its because my hair is too darn thick. Plus it takes ages to dry and doesn't like being manipulated too soon after washing.
I think we can get away with less washing than most people. I can go a whole week or so without washing it and it never looks dirty. It sure is REALLY hot in the summer months. My hair is also a 5 inch ponytail width and it can be difficult but I like having nice thick hair. Thick hair does NOT look good with fairy tale ends.
Blunt ends suit thick hair much more. Some people can rock the layered look quite nicely with wavy hair but unfortunately I'm not one of them....lol
One true pleasure from a thick hair women to another is finding the right hair toys.
Flexi clips all the way! If you get a variety of them you can create so many secure dos that look adorable.
I've got the minis to megas and I LOVE those things.
Now I'm searching for the right type of sticks and combs.
This was the kind of thread I was looking for today.

Hahaha, I wish! I've got thick hair, but it's also fine and non-porous, so I still have to wash every other day. Then it takes all day to dry D;

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, i'm about 5" circumfence too. But I think the blunt hemline looks too heavy on me, currently trying to grow it out.
Kind of, im also not able to make many of the bun hairstyles, but seriously can't take this as a con. I mean, how many ways to wrap hair around itself on the back of my head do i need. If i can manage 2 or 3 to stay put, thats all im askin for. My brauds do look stupid at this point, when i'm done and take it to the front over my shoulder it's just reaching a tiny bit below the chest. Was thinking of getting myself a few parandi wich add to the thickness but also length. I've still seen faaar thicker braids than my own, so i don't think it's that exceptional.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, i'm about 5" circumfence too. But I think the blunt hemline looks too heavy on me, currently trying to grow it out.
Kind of, im also not able to make many of the bun hairstyles, but seriously can't take this as a con. I mean, how many ways to wrap hair around itself on the back of my head do i need. If i can manage 2 or 3 to stay put, thats all im askin for. My brauds do look stupid at this point, when i'm done and take it to the front over my shoulder it's just reaching a tiny bit below the chest. Was thinking of getting myself a few parandi wich add to the thickness but also length. I've still seen faaar thicker braids than my own, so i don't think it's that exceptional.

butterflycayton
May 13th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I got tired of my thick hair that was waist length, and chopped it to shoulder. And it was middle of summer. But I don't like only being able to do one or two hairstyles. So growing it long again. Like Lindenare said, takes more hair to do some of the updos that is easy for some with thinner hair. They both have pros and cons. I like to get all my hair off my neck and face, so going to have to learn to some new updos that aren't so heavy.

florenonite
May 13th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I got tired of my thick hair that was waist length, and chopped it to shoulder. And it was middle of summer. But I don't like only being able to do one or two hairstyles. So growing it long again. Like Lindenare said, takes more hair to do some of the updos that is easy for some with thinner hair. They both have pros and cons. I like to get all my hair off my neck and face, so going to have to learn to some new updos that aren't so heavy.

For lightweight updos, I like ones with some degree of French/Dutch/lace braiding. I'm wearing this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVhxZ6el8aY&list=PLF328B7C305D1780C&index=45) style today. I'm also trying to perfect Dutch/rope crowns. I had trouble for ages because in videos I watched the braider almost invariably started with hair from her parting. When I do that I get a big fuzzy rope lying across the top of my head. What works better, for me, is to part my hair on the side, section out the hair from there to the opposite ear, then start braiding behind that ear. This gives me a more even braid tail.

memeow
May 13th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Reading about all the problems with thick hair makes me feel slightly better, because I am soooo jealous. My hair is thin and fine and I'm scared I can't actually grow it long because it starts looking scraggly past a certain length. I have damage I'm growing out and I'm hoping that at some point it will start looking better and the ends will stop breaking, but I just wish I had that type of hair that has volume and body effortlessly (okay, after drying for 9 hours or so). Thick braids look so nice and healthy.

My thoughts on thick hair are that I wish I had it :)

butterflycayton
May 13th, 2014, 10:20 AM
For lightweight updos, I like ones with some degree of French/Dutch/lace braiding. I'm wearing this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVhxZ6el8aY&list=PLF328B7C305D1780C&index=45) style today. I'm also trying to perfect Dutch/rope crowns. I had trouble for ages because in videos I watched the braider almost invariably started with hair from her parting. When I do that I get a big fuzzy rope lying across the top of my head. What works better, for me, is to part my hair on the side, section out the hair from there to the opposite ear, then start braiding behind that ear. This gives me a more even braid tail.

That is awesome, looks fairly easy to do. Will take some practice but I bet I can get it. My hair is barley at apl now, by the time is gets waist again, I can do it. Thanks

KittyBird
May 13th, 2014, 10:21 AM
My circumference is around 5" or a bit less now, because I've gone through a big shed and lost more than 1" of my circumference, and I still think my hair is mostly just a pain in the butt. :lol: At tailbone length I still can't do that many buns, and now my hair is starting to get pretty freaking heavy too. I have a very tender scalp, and I have to be careful with bun placement and weight distribution, or else I will be in agony. I either have to section my hair before bunning, or do the bun with long bobby pins, spin pins and/or amish pins. It's nearly impossible to put my hair up with a single stick anymore, and suddenly I can't do any of the buns that worked a few months ago. My braided buns always look hideous and lumpy.
I often feel like I'm the only person here who isn't super excited about thick hair. I wouldn't want to change my hair, but I do want to point out that having thick hair isn't always as much fun as it seems. Mine usually drives me crazy :shrug:

LongHairLesbian
May 13th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I used to wish for thicker hair, but now I'm pretty happy with my average volume. I have enough to do any hair style I want without feeling self-conscious, but I don't have so much that I need tons of product and time to wash, style, and detangle it. ii seems to be the best of both worlds.

hennalonghair
May 13th, 2014, 11:11 AM
My circumference is around 5" or a bit less now, because I've gone through a big shed and lost more than 1" of my circumference, and I still think my hair is mostly just a pain in the butt. :lol: At tailbone length I still can't do that many buns, and now my hair is starting to get pretty freaking heavy too. I have a very tender scalp, and I have to be careful with bun placement and weight distribution, or else I will be in agony. I either have to section my hair before bunning, or do the bun with long bobby pins, spin pins and/or amish pins. It's nearly impossible to put my hair up with a single stick anymore, and suddenly I can't do any of the buns that worked a few months ago. My braided buns always look hideous and lumpy.
I often feel like I'm the only person here who isn't super excited about thick hair. I wouldn't want to change my hair, but I do want to point out that having thick hair isn't always as much fun as it seems. Mine usually drives me crazy :shrug:

Kittybird? Seriously? YOU are the LAST person I expected to hear this from.
I've been here envying many of your dos because they look so fabulous.
You've got beautiful hair. In fact you are one person I've learned how to do better buns from.
I like how you don't try and tackle all of your hair at once for most of your buns. It looks as though you loosely do a pony tail then section your hair, bun a portion of it and then use the rest of the hair and braid it around the bun, creating a well kept, less bulky bun. The only difference is that I don't use pins in my dos. I find them so annoying so I section my hair for bunning with other sections braided and wrapped around and then I take an extra large flexi and clip it along the very too of the external wrapped braids, from one side right through to the other.
That way my ends stay tucked in and secure with the flexi just holding a portion of the bun. It stays comfortable and snug the entire day.

I have the same sensitive scalp issues along with extremely heavy hair. Plus my hair doesn't like to be sectioned too much. This is why I'm so thrilled to have found the different sized flexis
Another thing nobody's mentioned is that fact that we become HUMAN BUG CATCHERS.
im sure I'm not the only one that can relate to that. One more great reason to keep hair up.
Today the black flies were wicked and I wasn't as bothered cause I had my hair up otherwise I've got to spend some time getting those buggers out.

Seriously! You've got awesome looking hair. You totally rock the thick haired look !
Snap out of it woman! LOL!

martyna_22
May 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I used to wish for thicker hair, but now I'm pretty happy with my average volume. I have enough to do any hair style I want without feeling self-conscious, but I don't have so much that I need tons of product and time to wash, style, and detangle it. ii seems to be the best of both worlds.

Same here.
Although I find thick hair fabulous, ii is enough for me. Yet I find myself drooling over some photos of thick manes here on the LHC. :)

Aderyn
May 13th, 2014, 02:48 PM
My pony tail circumference is around 10-11 cm.

Downsides:

Need long lengths to do buns. I wasn't able to do very many buns until I hit MBL-waist length (which is around 34 inches on me) and the only reason I was able to do buns was because I have quite a bit of taper (V-cut hemline, fairytaling, growing out thinned hair and damage), though at times I still had to do sectioned buns. I'm actually starting to have some issues doing my old go to buns as the thickness is starting to travel down and cause issues with tucking the ends.

Heaviness. When doing buns, I have to make sure the bun is thoroughly supported and will not be pulling at my scalp, at all (sensitive scalp). Generally, what this means is I have to redo a bun once or twice to make it supportive of itself (not including the multiple attempts to make a bun look nice in general. :p )

Breaking hair toys/hair: Either the hair toy is going to break, or some strands of hair are going to break upon insertion of hairtoys. Happens way too often, takes a lot of practice to find out just the right looseness/tightness a specific bun needs to be with a specific hairtoy.

Tangles. Having a lot of hair on the finer side does not bode well in regards to tangles.

More of everything, generally. A little more shampoo (not that big of a deal), but need more oils and conditioner to get the same effect as someone with thinner hair. More water to rinse hair, etc.

Though this is more specific to my hair, my hair goes relatively flat at the roots (because it's fine), but there is a lot of volume on the bottom, making blunt hemlines a big no-no for me.

Thick hair is nice and I like mine, though it's really not as fabulous as people make it out to be. Every hair type has their pros and cons.

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I think the downsides of thick hair were already described very well here.
I think those downsides aren't huge, because most of us wouldn't want thinner hair. I'm guessing that if we ran a poll asking: would you like thinner hair or thicker hair, most people would choose the latter.
Sure, we'd want it more manageable, less tangle-prone and heavy, but I think thick hair is really a blessing.

Hele
May 13th, 2014, 03:31 PM

i couldn't agree more with this, once i find something that works i'm extremely loyal to it. There's so many nice things out there that just can't handle my hair! I wasn't able to do any specific buns until i got to hip length, before i joined this site i thought i was just stupid when i'd watch a youtube video of someone putting their midback length hair up and i couldn't. My main thick hair complaint is that summer is coming (it's already hot/humid where i am) and my hair is so dense in the back that sweat gets trapped under it and then doesn't dry because of the thickness. I work a very busy job and the air conditioning barely works there.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I hear a lot of people complaining about how "thick and unmanageable" their hair tends to be, yet mine is over 7" in circumference and extremely curly. I think I know the pain of thick hair rather well.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 04:13 PM
The more, the merrier! I have nothing else to add... ;)

I agree with you. It might sound weird, but I love thick hair, a lot. It's almost crazy. XD

hennalonghair
May 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I think the downsides of thick hair were already described very well here.
I think those downsides aren't huge, because most of us wouldn't want thinner hair. I'm guessing that if we ran a poll asking: would you like thinner hair or thicker hair, most people would choose the latter.
Sure, we'd want it more manageable, less tangle-prone and heavy, but I think thick hair is really a blessing.

Exactly! Gratitude goes a long way. The grass is always greener on the other side.
But when we think about other hair textures we only seem to consider the pros. I'm sure every hair type has its cons just like thick haired people. I've learned to accept my body including my hair just as is. It's what I was born with. I have the choice to fight it or embrace it and I choose to embrace it.
I guess all those who dispise their thick hair would be happy if they had a big shed and half their hair fell out .
Hey! Just start pulling it out by the roots! Lol!

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Exactly! Gratitude goes a long way. The grass is always greener on the other side.
But when we think about other hair textures we only seem to consider the pros. I'm sure every hair type has its cons just like thick haired people. I've learned to accept my body including my hair just as is. It's what I was born with. I have the choice to fight it or embrace it and I choose to embrace it.
I guess all those who dispise their thick hair would be happy if they had a big shed and half their hair fell out .
Hey! Just start pulling it out by the roots! Lol!

It always seems like whatever someone wants, they want the opposite. Someone with thick hair wants thinner hair, and vice versa.

kganihanova
May 13th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I think its great but I also think its annoying that buns are so annoying and painful for me. I love braids but I'd love to be able to bun you know.......?

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I think its great but I also think its annoying that buns are so annoying and painful for me. I love braids but I'd love to be able to bun you know.......?
What's your diameter?

kganihanova
May 13th, 2014, 06:58 PM
What's your diameter? 4.25-4.50 first day post wash day, 4.00-4.25 2nd day, 4.00 wash day.

I find that they've started giving me migraines since I cut my layers off.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 07:16 PM
4.25-4.50 first day post wash day, 4.00-4.25 2nd day, 4.00 wash day.

I find that they've started giving me migraines since I cut my layers off.

That seems to be a common complaint with people of thick hair.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Lol, i was avtually expecting this to turn into some celebration thread and all i read is complaints... helloooh, thick haiiir! The type that many many people would spend tousands of bucks on to have it if it was that simple just to go out and buy some more/thicke folicles. i would suppose it does look good in almost every style anyways, so where's the problem in avoiding these where weight becomes an issue? ;)

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Lol, i was avtually expecting this to turn into some celebration thread and all i read is complaints... helloooh, thick haiiir! The type that many many people would spend tousands of bucks on to have it if it was that simple just to go out and buy some more/thicke folicles. i would suppose it does look good in almost every style anyways, so where's the problem in avoiding these where weight becomes an issue? ;)
I know! :lol: It's turning into a "Thick Hair Support Thread". Compared to some heartbreaking reports we can find on the Hair Loss Support Thread, our problems are nothing. If we absolutely can't handle thick hair, we can always cut in some layers or avoid wearing buns (buns aren't the be-all end-all of hair care, and braids are perfect on thick hair).

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 07:36 PM
I know! :lol: It's turning into a "Thick Hair Support Thread". Compared to some heartbreaking reports we can find on the Hair Loss Support Thread, our problems are nothing. If we absolutely can't handle thick hair, we can always cut in some layers or avoid wearing buns (buns aren't the be-all end-all of hair care, and braids are perfect on thick hair).

I know. Thick hair is gorgeous. Appreciate it.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 13th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Well I like my thick hair. I just wish it didn't have so much taper - due to a shed last year. I am hoping it will regain thickness all the way down, I will pamper it and hope it does. I love big buns and they are not too heavy on me as my hair is fine. My circumference is 4.25".

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Well I like my thick hair. I just wish it didn't have so much taper - due to a shed last year. I am hoping it will regain thickness all the way down, I will pamper it and hope it does. I love big buns and they are not too heavy on me as my hair is fine. My circumference is 4.25".

You should post a picture of your hair. ^_^

Sarahlabyrinth
May 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM
You should post a picture of your hair. ^_^

It's in my signature picture:)

HintOfMint
May 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I have some minor quibbles with having thick hair (occasional headache, general unwieldiness), but I wouldn't actually trade it. I do love how it looks and feels, and the general drama of having a "mane."

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I have some minor quibbles with having thick hair (occasional headache, general unwieldiness), but I wouldn't actually trade it. I do love how it looks and feels, and the general drama of having a "mane."

I mean, I'm sure people with thick hair love their extreme volume and the look of having a "mane." I personally think it's beautiful and dramatic, and I love it. I understand that people can complain due to, like you said, headaches and heaviness, but I don't really MIND that. I like having heavy hair, for some reason. It sounds really weird, but it's just something that I find unique and love.

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 07:56 PM

Exactly! And it looks like many LHC-ers would probably agree. I've just found a recent poll on the LHC: "What's one thing you'd like to change about your hair if you could?" The options include: different colors, smooth hair, curly hair, straight hair... But the absolute leader with 36.48% is "I want more thickness!" plus 6.68% "I want more body and volume!" vs. only 1.14% replied: "It's too thick! I want it thinner!" http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33161

I'm not trying to diminish the difficulty of handling thick hair (tangles on iii hair can be scary and those headaches are a serious health issue), just trying to keep things in perspective.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 07:57 PM
@Meteor: What's your diameter?

Lindenare
May 13th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I completely agree. It's taken me a while to realize that its not merely incompetence why I can't do all those gorgeous styles of buns, its because my hair is too darn thick.

Yeah, I used to think I couldn't do anything with hair before I realized that the problem was my hair and adjusted accordingly. Now I can do lots of braid variations and a few buns, and it's such fun!

I'm just starting to find this out; I gave up on hair toys beyond scrunchies and headbands before I was ten, as my hair broke the cute clips and things that all the other girls wore. Now I've discovered that hairsticks work well and can't wait to try some combs!

KittyBird, your hair is lovely. Just saying.

I also get you on the barrettes. They always sprang open, because I couldn't close them properly (they bulked out and barely snapped shut).[/QUOTE

I own a few barrettes still, but they're only good for quick half-ups and clamping the ends of accent braids. The biggest one I own, of a size that I only ever see used to hold a ponytail on other people, doesn't quite hold half my hair, and when it's stuffed that full, pops open at the slightest jar.

[QUOTE=MINAKO;2717414]Lol, i was avtually expecting this to turn into some celebration thread and all i read is complaints... helloooh, thick haiiir! The type that many many people would spend tousands of bucks on to have it if it was that simple just to go out and buy some more/thicke folicles. i would suppose it does look good in almost every style anyways, so where's the problem in avoiding these where weight becomes an issue? ;)

You have a good point, Minako. We've got hair that lots of people would die for; might as well enjoy it!

The complaints are, at least for me, a response to the people that tell me that they wish they had hair as thick as mine. That's fine and I'm a bit flattered, but they're only seeing the best parts of thick hair, and if they really wish for it, they should know that there are difficulties, too. I guess that sometimes, though, I get too used to talking about the negative aspects of my hair and forget the positives, so here's some.

I love braids. Thick, long hair lends itself well to braids of all kinds, the more elaborate the better. If I really want to show off my hair, I put it in a five-strand french braid (hair's too short for anything fancier, but I'm working on that :)).

I can use my hair as a blanket when it's down. Particularly useful in the fall and spring, when I get chilly and don't have a jacket handy. On a related note, if I let my hair fall over my face, I look like Cousin Itt. This amuses me and my friends to no end.

When my hair is down, the thickness means I get instant volume with no work at all, even with hair nearly to TBL. On the crazier hair days or when I blowdry, my shoulders are enveloped.

I'll think of more awesome things that go with having thick hair later, when I'm not trying.

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 08:11 PM
@Meteor: What's your diameter?
5.5'' on average, and it changes a lot pre- and post-wash and when I add oils.
:) I've noticed you are asking the diameter a lot: is that because the diameter of iii's changes hair issues significantly in your experience? I'm just curious, because I thought all thick hair has pretty similar pros and cons. I think, if anything, texture (wave/curl pattern) is probably a more important factor in determining ideal hair care.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I used to think I couldn't do anything with hair before I realized that the problem was my hair and adjusted accordingly. Now I can do lots of braid variations and a few buns, and it's such fun!

I'm just starting to find this out; I gave up on hair toys beyond scrunchies and headbands before I was ten, as my hair broke the cute clips and things that all the other girls wore. Now I've discovered that hairsticks work well and can't wait to try some combs!

[QUOTE=lapushka;2716850]I also get you on the barrettes. They always sprang open, because I couldn't close them properly (they bulked out and barely snapped shut).[/QUOTE

I own a few barrettes still, but they're only good for quick half-ups and clamping the ends of accent braids. The biggest one I own, of a size that I only ever see used to hold a ponytail on other people, doesn't quite hold half my hair, and when it's stuffed that full, pops open at the slightest jar.

You have a good point, Minako. We've got hair that lots of people would die for; might as well enjoy it!

The complaints are, at least for me, a response to the people that tell me that they wish they had hair as thick as mine. That's fine and I'm a bit flattered, but they're only seeing the best parts of thick hair, and if they really wish for it, they should know that there are difficulties, too. I guess that sometimes, though, I get too used to talking about the negative aspects of my hair and forget the positives, so here's some.

I love braids. Thick, long hair lends itself well to braids of all kinds, the more elaborate the better. If I really want to show off my hair, I put it in a five-strand french braid (hair's too short for anything fancier, but I'm working on that :)).

I can use my hair as a blanket when it's down. Particularly useful in the fall and spring, when I get chilly and don't have a jacket handy. On a related note, if I let my hair fall over my face, I look like Cousin Itt. This amuses me and my friends to no end.

When my hair is down, the thickness means I get instant volume with no work at all, even with hair nearly to TBL. On the crazier hair days or when I blowdry, my shoulders are enveloped.

I'll think of more awesome things that go with having thick hair later, when I'm not trying.

What's your hair's diameter? Sorry, it's just something that interests me.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 08:19 PM
5.5'' on average, and it changes a lot pre- and post-wash and when I add oils.
:) I've noticed you are asking the diameter a lot: is that because the diameter of iii's changes hair issues significantly in your experience? I'm just curious, because I thought all thick hair has pretty similar pros and cons. I think, if anything, texture (wave/curl pattern) is probably a more important factor in determining ideal hair care.

Well, because I know that thick hair does seem to have similar problems in general, but the thicker the hair, the worse it can get, I'm sure. And I know 4" is considered thick here, but I just like to see the different hair thicknesses everyone here has. Sorry if it's a little obnoxious.

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Well, because I know that thick hair does seem to have similar problems in general, but the thicker the hair, the worse it can get, I'm sure. And I know 4" is considered thick here, but I just like to see the different hair thicknesses everyone here has. Sorry if it's a little obnoxious.
No, no, it's not obnoxious at all. :D I was just wondering maybe there's something else to hair diameter beyond the i-ii-iii that I didn't know about.
And I think that when one has iii AND curly hair, it's a whole new ball game, especially in terms of tangles and amount of product required. Many thick curlies even have to wash hair in sections or even in braids, otherwise it's extremely hard to detangle after.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 08:35 PM

Yes, i know, but our complaints seem to come across a bit cheeky, lol. i mean, take all these "disadvantages" and multiply them by 10... people will still want thick hair.
I do get mild headaches from the pulling too, yes, i kinda find the massive amounts of product i go through slightly annoying, yes. Bu if you ask me if i would be willing to handle one inch on top of what i already have, YESSS to that as well. To me 5" is good, but 6" is better. Hahaha, i'm as greedy for thickness as most are for length,
Btw, i think measuring really compacted with dental floss gives the only reliable results imho.

meteor
May 13th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Yes, i know, but our complaints seem to come across a bit cheeky, lol. i mean, take all these "disadvantages" and multiply them by 10... people will still want thick hair.
I do get mild headaches from the pulling too, yes, i kinda find the massive amounts of product i go through slightly annoying, yes. Bu if you ask me if i would be willing to handle one inch on top of what i already have, YESSS to that as well. To me 5" is good, but 6" is better. Hahaha, i'm as greedy for thickness as most are for length,
Btw, i think measuring really compacted with dental floss gives the only reliable results imho.
I absolutely agree! :) MINAKO, what's the technique for measuring with dental floss? How can I make a ponytail with it? And doesn't it damage hair?

hennalonghair
May 13th, 2014, 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=lapushka;2716850]I also get you on the barrettes. They always sprang open, because I couldn't close them properly (they bulked out and barely snapped shut).[/QUOTE

Now this was inspirational. For a while there I figured we should change the thread title to
" my hairs too thick, woe is me." Lol!
I'm only just finding new ways of styling my hair. One thing that helps a lot is spraying the bottom 6 inches of my hair with diluted hair conditioner and aloe gel. I mix about 1/4 of my favourite condition with about 10% aloe and add water to a small spray bottle. Then when I take my hair out of a braid or bun I spray the ends again. This keeps the ends soft and manageable ready for the next day.
Sticks are fabulous also. I just want to find the right kind for me.
I'm planning on making some sticks and forks from some exotic woods.
There's some really unique things that can be used as hair toys.
If you're not sure about whether a hair stick will work you can practice with a pencil.
Try different sizes of pencils to see which length is best.

I agree with the circumference changing depending on hair texture. Pre washed hair is far too thick to manage the first day so I usually just wear it down. Besides which it takes hours to dry anyway so if I bun or braid it, it just won't dry.
This I'm very careful with since I don't want any fungus issues.

I love the warm of thick hair. In winter I don't necessarily need a hat.
It's great to hide under.
Lets keep this thread on a positive note.
Lets embrace our thick heavy manes of glory.
No it's not the easiest hair type to care for but its all worth it.

HintOfMint
May 13th, 2014, 08:51 PM

I feel ya on the greedy bit :p My hair behaves like thick hair, looks like thick hair, has been described by others as ridiculously thick, but it really just measures just a tad over 4 inches now, so it's nothing on your 5 inches and other LHCers with even more. And you're darn tootin' I would take another inch (or two)!

It does feel a bit cheeky in a lot of ways to complain about something that many people view as a positive. Heck, in my case, it's damn near disingenuous because I love having thick hair. I do feel uncomfortable praising my own hair, but if you can't do it here, where can you, eh?

hennalonghair
May 13th, 2014, 08:57 PM
It does feel a bit cheeky in a lot of ways to complain about something that many people view as a positive. Heck, in my case, it's damn near disingenuous because I love having thick hair. I do feel uncomfortable praising my own hair, but if you can't do it here, where can you, eh?

HAHAHAHA!!!!
Love it!!
That was too friggin funny! Lol : D

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Thick hair is awesome. I measure at around over 7". Trust me when I say, I know what heavy hair is.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 09:40 PM
if you measure more than 4 inch in a very tight pony for me i would say thats where iii starts, i never got to understand this border categorie unless it swings abover and blow the line frequently. I always measure in a very thoroughly combed out high ponytail on straightened/stretched out hair and make it to exactly 4.85", not even exactly 5. That would be easy in a curly pony and usinf a tape tho, probably even more, but the number wouldnt be correct or comparable. Either way, it's a good amount of hair, but i have been corrupted by ideas of something like this > https://www.flickr.com/photos/lijinlei314/5364946480/ which i percieve as at least 6.5", conclusion... i have no hair at all. I know it's a weird and twisted logic, but that's haow i feel about it. It's not like the grass is always greener on the other side, more like i don't even know which one is my yard, since it ends at iii. :laugh::hmm::silly:

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 09:51 PM
if you measure more than 4 inch in a very tight pony for me i would say thats where iii starts, i never got to understand this border categorie unless it swings abover and blow the line frequently. I always measure in a very thoroughly combed out high ponytail on straightened/stretched out hair and make it to exactly 4.85", not even exactly 5. That would be easy in a curly pony and usinf a tape tho, probably even more, but the number wouldnt be correct or comparable. Either way, it's a good amount of hair, but i have been corrupted by ideas of something like this > https://www.flickr.com/photos/lijinlei314/5364946480/ which i percieve as at least 6.5", conclusion... i have no hair at all. I know it's a weird and twisted logic, but that's haow i feel about it. It's not like the grass is always greener on the other side, more like i don't even know which one is my yard, since it ends at iii. :laugh::hmm::silly:

Wow, that is beautiful hair, just as much as yours is. I can only judge by your avatar, though, seeing as I haven't been granted permission to view profiles, yet. -_- Also, I'm not sure if I should post pictures of my hair. I don't know if it's insecurity or what.

MINAKO
May 13th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Thank you, RingletedManiac! Yepp my hair looks decent on the pic because it is styled, otherwise it's some funny sort of texture chaos. So i would totally prefer the naturally straight hair of the woman on flickr. Must be a dream to be that tangle free, which i suppose.
Huh, i was also hesitant to upload some less favourable pics and im just posting them randomly when im in the mood to take one, but hey, just go at the pace you feel comfortable with. After all i think there's nothing to be insecure about on here, we're not in a competition or anything and variety is what keeps it interesting. :applause

KittyBird
May 14th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Thanks to everyone who said they liked my hair, and sorry for being so whiny. I feel better about my hair today. I had been trying new buns again (this time on freshly washed and un-detangled hair, because I'm an id!ot), and that always puts me in a bad mood. It looks so easy in the videos, but when I try it, it's impossible! :lol:

I think that's my issue too, I get too caught up in the negative sides of my hair. I'm sure there are positive sides too, but the negative things are more noticeable and make more of an impression on me.
One good thing about my thick hair is that it hides how damaged it is (henna and cones has helped too, of course). The dark part of my hair is from the pre-lhc times, and it's a mixture of chemical dye, some heat damage, and a lot of ripping through tangles several times a day (top to bottom of course) with a ball-tipped brush. Still have a decent hemline, and the splits aren't that visible.

I'll throw in a braid picture from the glory days of 6" circumference. My braids feel very puny nowadays. :o
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3072&d=1362584011

florenonite
May 14th, 2014, 03:39 AM
Exactly! And it looks like many LHC-ers would probably agree. I've just found a recent poll on the LHC: "What's one thing you'd like to change about your hair if you could?" The options include: different colors, smooth hair, curly hair, straight hair... But the absolute leader with 36.48% is "I want more thickness!" plus 6.68% "I want more body and volume!" vs. only 1.14% replied: "It's too thick! I want it thinner!" http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33161

I'm not trying to diminish the difficulty of handling thick hair (tangles on iii hair can be scary and those headaches are a serious health issue), just trying to keep things in perspective.

Hey, I'm a iii and *I* want more body and volume! My hair, perhaps because it's fine, has a magical ability to refuse adamantly to compress enough to make a bun, but then when I wear it loose it seems to flatten to my head.

But you know what? I complain about it being thick sometimes, then I read this thread and feel inadequate because my circumference is 'only' 4-4.25". Speaking of which, guys, circumference is the measure you get when you wrap a tape measure around your ponytail, diameter is the length of a straight line drawn across your ponytail which, while perhaps more accurate in terms of comparing hair thickness, is harder to measure. My diameter is around 1.25"; I'd be very impressed if I saw a ponytail that was 5" in diameter!

hennalonghair
May 14th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Thanks to everyone who said they liked my hair, and sorry for being so whiny. I feel better about my hair today. I had been trying new buns again (this time on freshly washed and un-detangled hair, because I'm an id!ot), and that always puts me in a bad mood. It looks so easy in the videos, but when I try it, it's impossible! :lol:

I think that's my issue too, I get too caught up in the negative sides of my hair. I'm sure there are positive sides too, but the negative things are more noticeable and make more of an impression on me.
One good thing about my thick hair is that it hides how damaged it is (henna and cones has helped too, of course). The dark part of my hair is from the pre-lhc times, and it's a mixture of chemical dye, some heat damage, and a lot of ripping through tangles several times a day (top to bottom of course) with a ball-tipped brush. Still have a decent hemline, and the splits aren't that visible.

I'll throw in a braid picture from the glory days of 6" circumference. My braids feel very puny nowadays. :o
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3072&d=1362584011
You're hair always looks amazing. That's a beautiful braid at 6 inches.
I couldn't help but notice you called it glory days so I guess it's not all THAT bad.; ) lol

MINAKO
May 14th, 2014, 04:53 AM
I couldn't help but notice you called it glory days so I guess it's not all THAT bad.; ) lol

:hifive: !!!!!!!

Stray_mind
May 14th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I love thick hair. It looks so beautiful and i love those heavy looking braids and head eating updos... I know it's harder to take care of thick hair and i give my full respect for women with thick and healthy hair... I wish i had thick hair but my pony is just 3.14 inches in circumference so it's in the "normal"thickness class....

Heavy Raindrops
May 14th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I used to have about 4 inches of circumference but now it's down to 3.2, I lost it in the space of 5 years or so... :/ When it was thick it annoyed me and I just wanted my hair short because it can be annoying to deal with. But obviously I'd prefer that to having thin hair. :( This is about half my hair gone or two thirds.

Singing Bird
May 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I love my thick hair - iii and tightly measured 4,3". My sister has thicker hair than mine - around 5" or over I think. Sometimes I'm a little bit jealous but my hair's texture is different from hers. Her hair is very coarse and mine is a mixture of coarse and medium.

My 4,3" hair in a French braid:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/823/ojhv.jpg

Othala
May 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM
The thicker the better! ;)

lapushka
May 14th, 2014, 08:17 AM

That's what I had done. Had me cut in some layers! Yay. It's tons better right now, much easier to handle.

Singing Bird
May 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM
:D I hate layers in my thick hair. It's easier to braid without layers, so I'm glad I'll get rid of my layers in the near future.

hennalonghair
May 14th, 2014, 09:19 AM
:D I hate layers in my thick hair. It's easier to braid without layers, so I'm glad I'll get rid of my layers in the near future.

Me too!
I've been so pissed when I've had them put in when by a creative hairstylist when I specifically said I did NOT want them.
They make my coarse dry hair all frizzy looking and I can't do proper braids and styles. I couldn't wait to grow those out.

That's one lovely thick braid singing bird.
You have gorgeous thick long hair
Love it

Anabell
May 14th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I feel like I get the worst from both worlds. I can relate to many of the complains about thick hair- it feels heavy and it can cause me a head headache or neck pain if I get the wrong bun position. I use three times more shampoo (the penny size amount each time) one for the front section, one for the sides and one for the back section. It also used to have a lot of tangles.

I used to think that all the heaviness and tender scalp thing is because I had join to LHC with already very long hair and wear it down or in a braid\ponytail (wich also considered "down") for the most of the time. So my scalp and my neck muscles have no time to gradually adjust to the weight. But after reading here I get the impression that you can't do buns anyway with thick hair until the hair gets very long (and heavy).

On the other hand, my hair don't look thick at all. If I wear it down and spread the hair from shoulder to shoulder I have thous gaps. It weighed down because of the length and also the waves clamp together, but still. I have to admit it look thick and get some volume when brushed out but I rarely do that. I feel like I rip it out. Even with TT, from bottom up. Same thing with buns and braids. My non-braided buns look big. But I rarely do them because it uncomfortable and heavy. My braid didn't look thick at all and neither a braided bun (which better that regular buns in terms of weight distribute).

Sorry. I needed to rant. I hope it will be better eventually.

Singing Bird- I adore your hair. It just stunning. Hope that one day I will have such an amazing hemline and non-heavy buns.

*ii\iii means I'm just in the boundary and get some measurements under and some below the 4''. Have seen someone ask about this category. This is my reason to choose the boundary one.

chen bao jun
May 14th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I have complained and complained about my thick hair all over this board. I complain and complain, yet I dread losing any circumference. I think the complaining is a bad habit left over from when I was young and used to suffer at hairdressers' and when my mother couldn't take care of it, partly because it was thick, and partly because she had no clue about curly. I think I also have left over jealousy because my sister's thinner (yet not at all thin hair) was so much more admired than mine because she was able to make stylish hairstyles with it, which I never could.
Not that I ever wanted stylish hairstyles, go figure.
I also think some of the it is the American woman's bad habit of 'put self down.' People are always complimenting my thick hair and I think I have the reflex habit of responding to a compliment with a self put down. Some of this may be happening (and not just to me) on this board, since there is such value placed on extra, abnormally thick hair here. Those of us who have it, after we get over being somewhere where people actually LIKE this and desire it, may feel obliged to keep putting ourselves down. Don't know if this is true--just a thought.
Anyway, I like having thick hair because:
1. It makes me feel connected to my dead father. He had super thick hair just like me and he loved my hair.
2. I have so much hair that I have never (yet) had to worry about thinning or balding. this is a REAL blessing. I always remember my father, who died with a full head of hair, saying that his hair had been even thicker in his youth and although it had 'thinned', no one would ever notice because it was still so abundant. This is very true. A lot of my female friends are thinning now, for whatever reason (bad hair care, hormones, age) and this is just not an issue for me. Let's be honest. If you want thinner hair, there are ways to get rid of some, but if you want more, there is absolutely no way to get any more. Ergo, it is a blessing. I need to be grateful.
3. Thick hair makes braids look wonderful. although you are slower to get buns (a problem I haven't had too much becasue of taper), once you get a bun, they look really look nice and full.
4. Thick hair can make you look 'wild' but my husband like this wild look (and apparently, a lot of other men like wild curls, too). Nowadays I can always bun if I want to look reserved and tame.
5. A lot of the thick hair 'problems' are 'used to' since LHC. Since LHC, I no longer have any problems with busting hair clips. Hello, ficcare, hair sticks and forks and flexi 8's! Plus spin pins and Amish pins. I no longer have any trouble with hair dressers, either, because I don't go to them. I don't dye my hair, and never intend to, so I don't need bottles and bottles of expensive dye, and neither do I relax (relaxers are 15 years in my past, thank God). I need lots and lots of conditioner, but that's okay because I find cheap brands work best. I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR LHC.
6. My hair is getting (surprisingly) even thicker since being on LHC, by the way. This can happen here. The way I took care of my hair LHC before ripped it out of my scalp, so now that I don't, I have yet thicker hair. I had better be grateful!

RingletedManiac
May 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM
@Chen: It's good to see someone who is grateful for their hair density. What is your circumference, by the way?

chen bao jun
May 14th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Its somewhere around 5 inches. It measures differently on different days and I have got as little as 4 3/4 (not since I thickened more though)and as much as 5 1/4 so I am splitting the difference.
I've got a photo of my braid somewhere on the 'what do you consider to be a thick braid' (title is something like that) going on now--somewhere before we got sidetracked on that thread (guilty) and started discussing wrinkles, so near the beginning.

@Chen: It's good to see someone who is grateful for their hair density. What is your circumference, by the way?

hennalonghair
May 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Chen bao jun: that is an AWESOME post! Very well written.
Such good points.
I also tend to self criticize when complimented.
You articulated that quite well.
We have the same hair thickness as well as some other unusual similarities.
Twins?
Ok maybe not? Lol!

RingletedManiac
May 14th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Oh my god, I didn't notice this post, but your hair is absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE it.

Bagginslover
May 15th, 2014, 04:22 AM
I love my thickness (Just over 4 inches). I'd love it to be slightly thicker, but not too much, which is good as it does seem to be thickening up as I'm taking better care of it (I was 3.5 inches when i first came here ;) my regrowth was insane!). I like that I can now do most of the buns I try since I hit BCL, but that I can also have layers without it looking way thinner. I can do intricate sectioned updos, but not have to wrangle with masses of hair, and it compacts into a not too head-eating bun when I need it to.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with my thickness :)

chen bao jun
May 15th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I'm happy to be your twin!

Chen bao jun: that is an AWESOME post! Very well written.
Such good points.
I also tend to self criticize when complimented.
You articulated that quite well.
We have the same hair thickness as well as some other unusual similarities.
Twins?
Ok maybe not? Lol!

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I'm happy to be your twin!

:joy:

:magic::magic:

:thumbsup:

liadegrecia
May 15th, 2014, 09:53 AM
While I absolutely love the actual thickness and fullness of my hair (4.70'' circumferance), the pains it creates can sometimes be really annoying. First and foremost, the air drying time. 6+ hours for me, which is insane! That's why I can't really stop using the air blow dryer. Then, as many have mentioned, maintaining any sort of updos, at least for me is impossible. All I can actually manage is the sock bun, which after a while gets really painful for my scalp. When my hair was shorter, I hated its thickness. It was too puffy for me, I always thought it looked weird. So I was thinning it out for years. And my hair looked pretty good for a while, but now that its at waist length, and I've managed to outgrow the thinning and constant layering, I definitely prefer it thick.

The Kraken
May 15th, 2014, 10:40 AM
wow I am new to LHC and some of you have such amazing gorgeous hair. My mop or 'kraken' as I affectionately call it is 4.75" circumference of ponytail or 3.5" per pigtail ??? dont ask me why ? i have tried measuring again 4 times with the same result !!...why do the sides measure more in thickness ? Either way I have tried several attempts to tie a simple overhand knot in it but even at a couple of inches past hip length it's still too damned thick to do that, lol. It does offer a lovely warm thickness in winter but I find it rather hot in summer esp as I do alot of running. I have never had it this long before and a whole new world of little things are becoming apparent but I won't bore you with some of my issues. lol.

lapushka
May 15th, 2014, 10:47 AM
While I absolutely love the actual thickness and fullness of my hair (4.70'' circumferance), the pains it creates can sometimes be really annoying. First and foremost, the air drying time. 6+ hours for me, which is insane! That's why I can't really stop using the air blow dryer. Then, as many have mentioned, maintaining any sort of updos, at least for me is impossible. All I can actually manage is the sock bun, which after a while gets really painful for my scalp. When my hair was shorter, I hated its thickness. It was too puffy for me, I always thought it looked weird. So I was thinning it out for years. And my hair looked pretty good for a while, but now that its at waist length, and I've managed to outgrow the thinning and constant layering, I definitely prefer it thick.

Nothing wrong with a blow dryer - if used correctly (cool to warm setting and no roundbrushing).

florenonite
May 15th, 2014, 11:29 AM
wow I am new to LHC and some of you have such amazing gorgeous hair. My mop or 'kraken' as I affectionately call it is 4.75" circumference of ponytail or 3.5" per pigtail ??? dont ask me why ? i have tried measuring again 4 times with the same result !!...why do the sides measure more in thickness ? Either way I have tried several attempts to tie a simple overhand knot in it but even at a couple of inches past hip length it's still too damned thick to do that, lol. It does offer a lovely warm thickness in winter but I find it rather hot in summer esp as I do alot of running. I have never had it this long before and a whole new world of little things are becoming apparent but I won't bore you with some of my issues. lol.

Math. Math is why.

Your hair's volume is always the same. But there's more circumference with more bunches of hair.

If circumference = diameter * pi, and area = pi * (radius squared), then we can work out the area of your ponytail (which is basically how much hair you have).

4.75/pi = 1.5"

Your radius is half that, so the area is:

(0.75*0.75)*pi = 1.8

You have 1.8 square inches of hair.

Let's look at the pigtails now.

3.5/pi = 1.1
1.1/2 = 0.55
(0.55 * 0.55) * pi = 0.95

That's the area of half your hair. Multiply it by two and you get 1.9. Yes, I know that's 0.1 higher than before, but there's a lot of rounding going on here because pi doesn't give nice neat numbers to two decimal places.

The amount of hair you have, and therefore the sum of the area of all the ponytails you have on your head (1 or more), remains the same. More than one ponytail, however, and you have more hair that is on the outside of a ponytail overall, and the circumference:area ratio changes.

tl;dr: Your measurement isn't off; you have a little under 2 square inches of hair.

The Kraken
May 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM
wow. I think I need to go back to school lol. Thankyou for that :o ;) I used to be pretty good at math too.....oh well that was alonnnnnnnnng time ago hahaa.

florenonite
May 15th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Haha, no worries. I think we also get really used to thinking of hair quantity in terms of circumference that we forget that it's not actually a measure of volume :)

kyle_f
May 15th, 2014, 02:42 PM
My hair is quite thick and growing out sucked because of it. Now that it is long I like it thick though. I like feeling like I have a ton of hair even if it gets in the way. As far as affecting hairstyles I don't have much experience though i can't get a bun to work very well even though other people I know with similar or shorter length hair can. At first I attributed it to my being a noob guy but now I think it has more to do with thickness though noob factor is still present. It has also made learning to braid a bit harder I think and I can't get as many bumps as my friends with the same length but thinner hair.

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM
You ladies have got to get a look at Kyles hair. He's been growing it for 2 1/2 years due to a bet but now likes it long.
Can you show us a pic of your ponytail Kyle?
So you actually braid it and try creating different style buns?
I can clearly guess the reaction you get from women. What reaction do you get from men regarding your hair?

woodswanderer
May 15th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I love it...and I know my hair isn't that thick on here, but it is compared to the average sighting in real life. I love being able to do a big bun.

woodswanderer
May 15th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I wish it wasn't so heavy though. I have to secure with great care.

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I wish it wasn't so heavy though. I have to secure with great care.

That's beautiful wavy hair. Do you mind if I ask how you secure your buns?
The only hair toys I have are flexi clips and extra large satin scrunchies.
I'm currently seeking the right type of hair sticks.
I really wanted some Lady Idum sticks but it seems that she closed shop.
Her sticks are gorgeous. They have a distinct shape to them instead of the regular straight stick shape.
Now I'm considering getting some extra long sticks from the eudwaurd guy but I've heard his sticks all have holes in them which aren't mentioned in any of the advertisements.
Someone mentioned to experiment with different sized pencils to get a better idea what size stick to get which I thought was a great idea. I've never owned a hair stick before.

Suggestions from others would be most welcome !!!!
Is etsy as easy to purchase from as amazon?

woodswanderer
May 15th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks, that's so sweet of you. I would say I secure them poorly, because I rarely have a bun that will last all day in perfect comfort. My hair likes to loosen due to slipperiness or the weight distribution shifts and pulls hair, so I have to redo it. ;) I use ketylos,regular hairsticks that are about the circumference of a pencil, flexi 8s, ficcare with unpredictable results, and recently I've started using spin pins. Flexis usually give me the most secure bun, but I often go for sticks anyway for the look and the speed. I try to distribute the load evenly as I can. I think I want to try doing sectioned buns. I used to get 7 inch sticks back in the day, but now I prefer between 5 and 6 inches aesthetically. Etsy is easy to buy from, or you could check out the swap boards here(some people sell instead). I wouldn't shell out a lot of money on a first stick myself. Ketylos are fairly affordable.

LunaLuvsU
May 15th, 2014, 05:00 PM
LHC standards for thick hair is kinda extreme to me. I personally think 3.5 inches around and up is thick but thats just my standards... then again waist length hair on lhc isnt really considered all that long lol. I have bangs so my hair is only about 3 inches around, give or take a little, but with it its just about 3.5 inches. I think it has its pros and cons just like thin hair.

RingletedManiac
May 15th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I can understand if the standards are too extreme. Everybody has unique genes and opinions, so what one person may consider too thick may not be thick enough for another.

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks, that's so sweet of you. I would say I secure them poorly, because I rarely have a bun that will last all day in perfect comfort. My hair likes to loosen due to slipperiness or the weight distribution shifts and pulls hair, so I have to redo it. ;) I use ketylos,regular hairsticks that are about the circumference of a pencil, flexi 8s, ficcare with unpredictable results, and recently I've started using spin pins. Flexis usually give me the most secure bun, but I often go for sticks anyway for the look and the speed. I try to distribute the load evenly as I can. I think I want to try doing sectioned buns. I used to get 7 inch sticks back in the day, but now I prefer between 5 and 6 inches aesthetically. Etsy is easy to buy from, or you could check out the swap boards here(some people sell instead). I wouldn't shell out a lot of money on a first stick myself. Ketylos are fairly affordable.
Thanks woodswanderer! What a speedy reply. Oddly enough Ketylos were my first consideration.
Unfortunately I purchased some sticks from lilla rose ( flexi clip company) but they are far too short and just not strong enough for my hair so I sent them back. The usable portion was only 5 and 7/8ths of an inch and its just too short for my hair.
My hair isn't even waist length but its extremely thick and wavy.
Anywhere from 4.75 to 5.25 inches in circumference. ( Not including my bangs) The first time I used one it broke and all the beads fell off so I tried it without the bead topping and its far to short. My hair literally eats it and then it gradually just falls out so I think I need longer/ stronger ones.
I've considered the swap meet here but I don't have a Paypal account, plus I'm sort of new here too.
I'm considering making some sticks so I have a better idea of my hair toy needs.
Also I wonder about those 2 prong sticks. Are they supposed to be used like a single stick of more like a comb?
I think what I'm going to need to do is sharpen some of my coloured pencils to different lengths and see if they are something that's going to suit my hair.
I do sectional buns myself. It's the ONLY type of bun I can do! LOL!
Even using the flexi clips, I usually section my hair first. It just makes for a more secure neater hairdo; for my hair type that is.
Thanks for your sharing your hair strategies.
I LOVE thick hair but it certainly has it challenges.

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Hey Ringletedmaniac!
You have the thickest hair out of all of us.
How do you style yours? Do you ever wear it up secured by combs, sticks or clips?
You must have some thick hair secrets you could share.
With summer approaching I'm sure you don't wear that 7 inch thick hair down all day long.

RingletedManiac
May 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Hey Ringletedmaniac!
You have the thickest hair out of all of us.
How do you style yours? Do you ever wear it up secured by combs, sticks or clips?
You must have some thick hair secrets you could share.
With summer approaching I'm sure you don't wear that 7 inch thick hair down all day long.

Thanks for the recognition, haha. ^_^ Well, in all honesty, I seriously am terrible at styling hair. I hope that I can learn some from here, because I could seriously use the help. It's just sad, lol. I can't even straighten my hair without help. But, anyways, I always wear my hair in a french braid so it doesn't get in the way, and so that my hair isn't hanging down on me and causing me to sweat like Niagara falls. I don't straighten my hair very often at all, and whenever I do, I still wear it up in a ponytail. And when it is in a straightened ponytail, I cannot use normal hair ties. I know that there are hair ties designed for thick hair, but they're too small. I have to use a scrunchy, no joke, and I start suffering from headaches and scalp soreness due to wearing my hair up. My secrets to those of you with all the pulchritudinous and thick hair I've seen would be to braid your hair, as that really can help manage it, and to wear some really creative pony-tails and updo's, as thick hair is extremely suitable for these. I don't really understand how so many complain about the "unmanageability" of their hair when I have not met a single being with thicker hair than mine, and my hair is CURLY. So, just a word of advice: Just appreciate and be grateful for it. You all have beautifully thick and gorgeous manes, and I love it. You should too.

TL;DR:
I wear my hair up in a braid, I suggest creative ways to wear hair up, and appreciate your beautiful hair.

Sharysa
May 15th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I've been hearing a lot of talk about thick hair, and was wondering your thoughts on it. A lot of people think of thick hair as a bad thing, but I think it's beautiful. What are your thoughts?

Thick hair is a love-hate relationship. Mine is coarse and somewhere around 4 inches the last time I checked. It's on the low end of thickness, but considering I'm also five feet, that means it looks pretty damn big.

Sure, thick hair looks nice, but then you have to factor in that you either need SHORT or LONG lengths and anything in-between looks like crap if you don't want to maintain a style/length. My awkward stage lasted from just-past-collarbone to WAIST LENGTH.

Cons:
-I can't do buns at all. Before it was too short to stay in, and when I tried again at waist-ish, it held but was way too heavy. It took until a very long mid-back length to do a braid that didn't look like a stub (especially a side-braid), and I need to braid it every day to contain it all.

-Currently, I switched to navy-style showers to deal with having to wash it all. Not only because it takes a while to rinse out my shampoo and then condition it for MORE rinsing, but because it also gets HEAVY. Thankfully I haven't gotten to the stage of "washing hair in braids" yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thought my hair was rinsed out, realized there was still suds/stickiness somewhere (especially the nape of my neck), then had to go back and rinse it out AGAIN.

-It takes several hours to a night to dry, and occasionally it takes up part of the second day to dry. Especially since I swore off hair-drying after I realized that coarse hair and straightening/heat doesn't mix.

-I have now discovered the problem in summer where my hair sets in perfect bohemian waves, but I DON'T WANT TO WEAR THIS CRAP DOWN. Having a mane/cloak/cape of hip-length hair is not the best thing in summer.

-I have the trifecta of Problematic Hairtypes: Thick, borderline wavy, and coarse. So most days, I just get my hair into a braid or pigtails. My pictures on here or Untamed Tresses are VERY MUCH out of the ordinary.

-Even if it's long, it takes forever to LOOK long because it's so darn thick. For me it took to a very long mid-back to be satisfied with my hair looking/feeling long, partly because of my collarbone-to-waist-length awkward stage.

-My hair laughs at fine-toothed combs and brushes, and is very, very thirsty. I don't use as much conditioner as some other people, but I definitely need about three or four handfuls of it. I also need almond oil after a shower to avoid frizz and likewise use three or four palms of oil.

Pros:
-On a good day, my hair has awesome bohemian waves or just a 2a "just enough wave to look nice."

-Hair cape in cold weather, whoo!

-Being able to call my hair a mane, since it reminds me of lions and horses.

-Braids and half-ups! I'm a little weird--if I'm wearing a single braid, I like to pick it up and let it thump against my back/shoulder. It's just so satisfying.

-The wow factor. I'd have long hair regardless of whether it got noticed (I'm partly a long hair because I hate wasting time, money, and styling on cuts), but I just get really happy when someone on the street notices that I take good care of my hair.

RingletedManiac
May 15th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thought my hair was rinsed out, realized there was still suds/stickiness somewhere (especially the nape of my neck), then had to go back and rinse it out AGAIN.

OH MY GOD, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. This has happened to me so many times, and I end up going in again to rinse it out, SOMETIMES MORE THAN ONCE. It's so annoying and frustrating.

kyle_f
May 15th, 2014, 08:04 PM
You ladies have got to get a look at Kyles hair. He's been growing it for 2 1/2 years due to a bet but now likes it long.
Can you show us a pic of your ponytail Kyle?
So you actually braid it and try creating different style buns?
I can clearly guess the reaction you get from women. What reaction do you get from men regarding your hair?

Thanks! Just a standard braid especially since that seems to a be a practical thing and as far as buns go just a standard bun also, so nothing really interesting by this sites standards. I can't guarantee I'll venture much out beyond that.

Here's the same pic from a previous post.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=64973&dateline=1400176026&type=profile

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Ringletsmaniac - thanks for the explanation. Styling was one of the main reasons that brought me here as well.
Scrunchies are my " go to" hair accessory of all time. I've got great big satan scrunchies and I love them.
I bet french braiding your hair must take some time for you, having ringlets and all. I don't usually braid my hair the first or 2nd day after washing cause I have an under layer of ringlets and I kind of like them.
Ringlets ROCK!!! Lol!
It must be really difficult putting your hair up. There is another woman here with black hair and its seriously thick. I've seen several pictures of her hair and its huge. One of the pictures she has FOUR buns in a single do. It's sounds ridiculously impossible but she pulls it off quite nicely.
I hope I don't step on any bodies toes by saying this but I learned a lot about hair care from African American women.
Because so many of them have had hard to manage hair their whole lives, they have learned to really take care of it.
Before I used to be embarrassed to mention that I only wash my hair once a week but I've since discovered that there's many people that don't even shampoo at all. Many just use either baking soda , borax or clay to wash their tresses.
No matter how many "bad hair days" we may have, there's always people that have it worse.
I'm grateful to have a full head of hair. I'm grateful to be happy and healthy.
I think the title of the thread might have something to do with why so many people are giving both sides of the coin regarding thick hair. Perhaps they figured it was more unbiased to give the pros and the cons about having thick hair.

Question to anyone: protective hairstyles. If I end up breaking off more hair in my protective hairstyles, just how protective are they? I must be doing something wrong. My hair doesn't seem to like being twisted and manipulated too much.
My hair seems to just like either being down or put back with a scrunchies in a loose ponytail.

Does any body else here with thick hair find that.? Mine is fairly coarse texture Maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks Ringletsmanic

hennalonghair
May 15th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Thanks! Just a standard braid especially since that seems to a be a practical thing and as far as buns go just a standard bun also, so nothing really interesting by this sites standards. I can't guarantee I'll venture much out beyond that.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=64973&dateline=1400176026&type=profile
Now THAT is impressive!!! Did you have long hair before or is this the first time?
You must not only have women jealous of your hair but men too.
Think of the poor fella shelling out the bucks for hair transplants and you come strolling by with a tail like that.
Lol!
Yeah I guess as a dude you probably wanna keep the styles as simple as possible.
I guess we won't be expecting any flexi clip action shots from you.

Anyway thanks for posting the pic. I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one making comments about it.

kyle_f
May 15th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Now THAT is impressive!!! Did you have long hair before or is this the first time?
You must not only have women jealous of your hair but men too.
Think of the poor fella shelling out the bucks for hair transplants and you come strolling by with a tail like that.
Lol!
Yeah I guess as a dude you probably wanna keep the styles as simple as possible.
I guess we won't be expecting any flexi clip action shots from you.

Anyway thanks for posting the pic. I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one making comments about it.

It's the first time! I had always had quite short hair before and actually had never really thought about it or wanted to before. I have my friend and former roommate (she has waist length hair that is quite thick and somewhat curly) to thank for growing it, she didn't think I would be able to stand it.

If any guys are envious they keep it to themselves which is fine with me, though I do get the occasional compliment from the ladies and my current girlfriend is a fan. And no I don't think I will be using a flex 8 or anything any time soon, I tend to keep it pretty simple, though its fun to learn anyway. Thanks for the compliments.

HintOfMint
May 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM

What a strikingly gorgeous ponytail! Good on ya, man!

Another thought on thick hair: When my hairdresser thinned out my hair for the first time, about a year and a half ago, I loved it because it made my hair look less heavy and more "styled." I put away that nagging sadness when I realized my braids were thinner and my buns were less... head eating, for lack of a better term. I have since cut out the overlayered bits and now my hair is back to its heavy self and frankly... I'm adoring it. I have some layers still to keep the crown from being too flat from the weight, but I'm loving how imposing my hair looks.

Bagginslover
May 16th, 2014, 02:23 AM
That's beautiful wavy hair. Do you mind if I ask how you secure your buns?
The only hair toys I have are flexi clips and extra large satin scrunchies.
I'm currently seeking the right type of hair sticks.
I really wanted some Lady Idum sticks but it seems that she closed shop.
Her sticks are gorgeous. They have a distinct shape to them instead of the regular straight stick shape.
Now I'm considering getting some extra long sticks from the eudwaurd guy but I've heard his sticks all have holes in them which aren't mentioned in any of the advertisements.
Someone mentioned to experiment with different sized pencils to get a better idea what size stick to get which I thought was a great idea. I've never owned a hair stick before.

Suggestions from others would be most welcome !!!!
Is etsy as easy to purchase from as amazon?

Just wanted to address the bit I've bolded. Eds sticks don't have holes in. His acylics are smooth and perfect. The stained/varnished wood sticks have what appears to be a hole in the top, but its not, its just a working mark from the way he dips the sticks in the varnish/stain. So thats why its not mantioned in his listings-they don't exist. Unless you ask for them of course-he does drill sticks for toppers on request ;)

RingletedManiac
May 16th, 2014, 06:19 AM
There is another woman here with black hair and its seriously thick. I've seen several pictures of her hair and its huge. One of the pictures she has FOUR buns in a single do. It's sounds ridiculously impossible but she pulls it off quite nicely.

Do you know where this picture is? I'd like to see this for myself.

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 08:46 AM
It's the first time! I had always had quite short hair before and actually had never really thought about it or wanted to before. I have my friend and former roommate (she has waist length hair that is quite thick and somewhat curly) to thank for growing it, she didn't think I would be able to stand it.

If any guys are envious they keep it to themselves which is fine with me, though I do get the occasional compliment from the ladies and my current girlfriend is a fan. And no I don't think I will be using a flex 8 or anything any time soon, I tend to keep it pretty simple, though its fun to learn anyway. Thanks for the compliments.
I lost my post!!!
Ok I'll try this again. I was going to ask about the bet and thought it was a conversation like you mentioned.
Yes I bet you get all kinds of women asking or complimenting you about your hair.
You've gotta admit that's its a good conversation starter. Lol!

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Just wanted to address the bit I've bolded. Eds sticks don't have holes in. His acylics are smooth and perfect. The stained/varnished wood sticks have what appears to be a hole in the top, but its not, its just a working mark from the way he dips the sticks in the varnish/stain. So thats why its not mantioned in his listings-they don't exist. Unless you ask for them of course-he does drill sticks for toppers on request ;)
Ok that's for clarifying that Bagginslover? Cute name. Is that Frodo Baggins?
Do you happen to have any of his sticks and if so, do you like them?
They seem to be very colourful and have nice finishes to them.
Maybe I will rethink this. I love that curly maple in purple and the acrylics look striking.
Plus he has extra long ones which I need.
Do you have any pics of you wearing them?
Sorry if I'm pushing it here. Please don't feel obligated.
Thanks again.

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Do you know where this picture is? I'd like to see this for myself.

She's in the" Buns " thread. I didn't take note of her name.
All I know is that she has long extremely thick hair and ' boy' can she work it.
I was admiring all the different hairstyles and updos and couldn't help but admire hers.
She knows how to take care of it.

How long is your hair and how thick is it at the bottom.
Have you considered purchasing some flexi clips?
They are amazing hair accessories. They are made from piano and guitar strings and actually have a lot of flexi to them.
I take a Large for a ponytail holder, XL for centre held buns and half ups and a mega for cinnamon buns and other full buns.
You would probably fit into an XL for ponytail holder , and
a mega for buns. Go to lillarose and check them out. There are plain ones if you're not into the ' bling' and their customer service is awesome! If its the wrong size they will exchange it for you AND pay for shipping.
I just measured mine and it's 3.70 inches at the bottom of my ponytail so I don't have too much taper.

Sharysa
May 16th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I hope I don't step on any bodies toes by saying this but I learned a lot about hair care from African American women.

Because so many of them have had hard to manage hair their whole lives, they have learned to really take care of it.

Before I used to be embarrassed to mention that I only wash my hair once a week but I've since discovered that there's many people that don't even shampoo at all. Many just use either baking soda , borax or clay to wash their tresses.

It's mostly hard to manage because 90% of the haircare market is geared towards people with Caucasian-type straight, medium thickness, and medium textured hair. Even a lot of Caucasian women can't manage their hair properly because it's too fine/coarse, too thin, too thick, and too curly to be manageable within that narrow category. Curly Girl and all its awesomeness isn't even a decade old yet--that's how ingrained the marketing is.

I also learned a lot of haircare tips from African-American methods; I'm Asian, but I don't have the stereotypical "Asian Hair" where it's sleek and pin-straight. I thought I was weird or breaking the rule of "keep your hair up most of the time" since I literally need to let my hair down for a few hours a day, otherwise my hair gets greasy and sweaty--but then I looked at African-American hair care, and most of them take it as a fact of life that their scalp needs to breathe for a couple days a week. So yay, I'm not a bad LHC-er!

I think the title of the thread might have something to do with why so many people are giving both sides of the coin regarding thick hair. Perhaps they figured it was more unbiased to give the pros and the cons about having thick hair.

Well, yes. It's only natural that people with thick hair would swarm a thread like this with very detailed pros and cons about it. When most people gush about how they want their hair as thick as possible, yet clearly don't know the realities of taking care of it, it wears on you.

Most people with thin or average hair don't know that thick hair takes forever to dry (most of the thick-haired people average a full night's worth of drying), tangles if you look at it wrong (especially if it's wavy/curly), is a hassle to comb/brush (re: wavy/curly), needs considerably more length to do most styles, and is HEAVY.

I think someone here posted about how her daughter has thick hair, and she remarked on how much trouble it was to deal with when she'd previously only known that thick hair looks gorgeous.

Tealdeeer: I don't doubt that thick hair is a gift. But I also know that it's a high-maintenance and often temperamental gift.

Question to anyone: protective hairstyles. If I end up breaking off more hair in my protective hairstyles, just how protective are they? I must be doing something wrong. My hair doesn't seem to like being twisted and manipulated too much.
My hair seems to just like either being down or put back with a scrunchies in a loose ponytail.

I noticed that with thick hair, you can't twist it nearly as much as thinner hair--whether literally or figuratively. This ties into why thick hair is just unsuited for most buns; I literally can't twist my hair too much because it turns into a solid mass, and others find that thick hair breaks a LOT in manipulation-heavy styles. If you try only manipulating your hair just enough to keep it shaped for your updos, it should have less breakage.

meteor
May 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM
It's mostly hard to manage because 90% of the haircare market is geared towards people with Caucasian-type straight, medium thickness, and medium textured hair. Even a lot of Caucasian women can't manage their hair properly because it's too fine/coarse, too thin, too thick, and too curly to be manageable within that narrow category. Curly Girl and all its awesomeness isn't even a decade old yet--that's how ingrained the marketing is.

I also learned a lot of haircare tips from African-American methods; I'm Asian, but I don't have the stereotypical "Asian Hair" where it's sleek and pin-straight.
So true! My Caucasian Russian hair absolutely loves African, Indian, Middle-eastern stores and ethnic aisles of grocery shops. And it's strange that the Curly Girl method isn't more popular, as most people have curly or wavy hair. This stuff should work pretty well for many people with dense, thick hair.

I noticed that with thick hair, you can't twist it nearly as much as thinner hair--whether literally or figuratively. This ties into why thick hair is just unsuited for most buns; I literally can't twist my hair too much because it turns into a solid mass, and others find that thick hair breaks a LOT in manipulation-heavy styles. If you try only manipulating your hair just enough to keep it shaped for your updos, it should have less breakage.
I absolutely agree. Many of us start a bun with a braid or multiple braids to distribute all that weight properly. If I don't use braids as the base for my buns, they just pull too much and don't hold for long anyway.
There are ways to section buns that help distribute all that weight. Torrin's Paige has great tips on that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w She shows sectioned cinnabun, braided bun and nautilus there.

Sharysa
May 16th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I'm guessing that most people don't really know that their hair IS curly or wavy, since they spend so much time straightening their hair or curling it for the "good" kind of waves/curls. You know, the perfectly shaped and symmetrical ringlet-style curls that don't have a hair out of place.

My hair is pretty awesome for the bohemian messy look naturally, and a lot of people seem to think natural waves or curls are messy since they're used to artificial curls and don't know how to maintain them.

RingletedManiac
May 16th, 2014, 03:49 PM
She's in the" Buns " thread. I didn't take note of her name.
All I know is that she has long extremely thick hair and ' boy' can she work it.
I was admiring all the different hairstyles and updos and couldn't help but admire hers.
She knows how to take care of it.

I have no idea how I'm going to find it. There's over three hundred pages on that thread lol.

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM

I also learned a lot of haircare tips from African-American methods; I'm Asian, but I don't have thpe stereotypical "Asian Hair" where it's sleek and pin-straight. I thought I was weird or breaking the rule of "keep your hair up most of the time" since I literally need to let my hair down for a few hours a day, otherwise my hair gets greasy and sweaty--but then I looked at African-American hair care, and most of them take it as a fact of life that their scalp needs to breathe for a couple days a week. So yay, I'm not a bad LHC-er!

Well, yes. It's only natural that people with thick hair would swarm a thread like this with very detailed pros and cons about it. When most people gush about how they want their hair as thick as possible, yet clearly don't know the realities of taking care of it, it wears on you.

Most people with thin or average hair don't know that thick hair takes forever to dry (most of the thick-haired people average a full night's worth of drying), tangles if you look at it wrong (especially if it's wavy/curly), is a hassle to comb/brush (re: wavy/curly), needs considerably more length to do most styles, and is HEAVY.

I think someone here posted about how her daughter has thick hair, and she remarked on how much trouble it was to deal with when she'd previously only known that thick hair looks gorgeous.

Tealdeeer: I don't doubt that thick hair is a gift. But I also know that it's a high-maintenance and often temperamental gift.

True! Marketing is geared more towards your stereo typical Caucasian women BUT things are quickly turning around.
The Curly Girl method is awesome. I've learned so much from that.
Yes coarse thick hair has to breathe. Good point. This makes a lot of sense because if our hair strands are literally thicker than other textures, then not as much air can get to the scalp.
My hair HAS to breathe. I totally get that.
It's also true that many people who don't have thick hair often think we are so lucky to be born with thick hair but it DOES take a LOT of work to keep it manageable. We really do need to care for it differently than other hair types.
Its very liberating to actually understand your own hair type.
Ok now I think I'm going to ease up on the updos cause my hair doesn't like it.
It just goes to show you that we each need to listen to our own individual hair needs.
Protective styles obviously need to be customized according to hair type and texture.

Meteor- mine loves East Indian hair treatments and section my hair to improvise most bun styles.
: D.

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I have no idea how I'm going to find it. There's over three hundred pages on that thread lol.

AND you expected ME to?:popcorn:

:doh:

RingletedManiac
May 16th, 2014, 04:50 PM
AND you expected ME to?:popcorn:

:doh:

LOL. Sorry. We should post pictures of our hair. I'm a little hesitant, though.

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM
LOL. Sorry. We should post pictures of our hair. I'm a little hesitant, though.

I'm using my iPhone and have no idea how to post pics but go ahead. I'd love to see your hair.

RingletedManiac
May 16th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I'm using my iPhone and have no idea how to post pics but go ahead. I'd love to see your hair.

I have a suggestion. Try uploading your pics to the imgur website (http://imgur.com/blog/2010/12/10/imgur-mobile/) and then link us the picture. c: That should work seeing as you're on mobile.

mira-chan
May 16th, 2014, 05:12 PM
*snip*

It depends on texture of the thick hair as well. Fine hair will twist easier and work with updo's easier. Mine is not super thick (just on the 4" borderline, plus taper on top) but it does not hold twist well because it's coarse. It will slowly, or not so slowly, unravel throughout the day in less structured hairstyles. I do braided buns a lot, especially in the colder months where I don't want my hair to get loose and get into coat zippers.

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I have a suggestion. Try uploading your pics to the imgur website (http://imgur.com/blog/2010/12/10/imgur-mobile/) and then link us the picture. c: That should work seeing as you're on mobile.

It doesn't support iPhone
I tried!

RingletedManiac
May 16th, 2014, 06:06 PM
It doesn't support iPhone
I tried!

https://imageshack.com/ Maybe this? I would just google good image hosting sites for mobile.

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM
https://imageshack.com/ Maybe this? I would just google good image hosting sites for mobile.
I'm sure if I searched around long enough I could find some suitable image software but I honestly didn't come here to show off my hair. I'd rather keep my ego out of it. I'm obsessed enough without adding pics of myself. Like yourself I'm just not comfortable putting pics of myself online.
I also don't want to be hooked on the Internet. It's too easy to become addicted.
The main reason I joined this site is because I wanted to learn new ways of putting my hair up for the upcoming hot weather.
Every article I read about growing long hair emphasizes the need for protective hairstyles. While researching I discovered my hair type. I've never really known my hair type before so wasn't looking after it the best I could. It seems my hair doesn't really like protective hairstyles too much.
Anyway I've basically found what I was looking for therefore I don't feel the need to add pictures.
For all you know I could be bald. Lol.
Besides Ringlets, I don't see any pics of you.

RingletedManiac
May 16th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I know. I probably would've posted if you had. Where do you see the threads of protective hairstyles?

Aderyn
May 16th, 2014, 07:12 PM
The thread of protected hairstyles tend to all go into the Bun Picture Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98504) and the Braid picture thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45350). No need to have literally hundreds and hundreds of thread of just pretty pictures, it's nice to have it all in one place, else I would be completely lost when reading through new threads! :D

Tentative braid and reference thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682)

I'd like to see some pics of your hair, RingletedManiac and hennalonghair, especially since both of you seem to be more than happy to ask others to post photos. :p

Also, I think you might be referring to Venefica in your conversation earlier, who has posted many photos on the Bun picture thread. She has beautiful, thick, very long hair and her hairstyles are just amazing!

hennalonghair
May 16th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I know. I probably would've posted if you had. Where do you see the threads of protective hairstyles?

The buns thread.
The flexi 8 thread
The hair toys thread
The self made toys thread
And all the other threads that show designer sticks, forks etc.,
Often the name of bun is mentioned so I'd go online and look it up. I can't do many of the buns I've seen but I can do variations of them. Plus i asked lots of questions regarding members dos.
Actually I've learned a lot. I've gotten a better idea what works for me and what doesn't.
With viewing the following threads you can see exactly what hair toys suite what styles and hair texture.
Unfortunately I didn't see many photos in the curly buns thread but now I know why.
Kittybird has some fabulous styles for thick long hair.
Maybe some day I'll post a pic or two but for now I'm just not ready.

mira-chan
May 16th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Your hair is too short at your thickness to do many hairstyles in singular. Have you tried making two buns next to each other. This will half the hair volume for each bun and it might spread out the weight of the hair better. plus your hair styles will look fancier.

I don't post much pictures on the mane board either. More in the blog (restricted) and in albums, but those are broken now, or were for a long time.

HazelBug
May 16th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I'm at 3.5ish right now, but I was at 4 before my big postpartum shed. Even at my currrent thickness it can be hard to get shampoo on my scalp for washing. I like the way thicker hair looks. But even when I was at tailbone many updo's still didn't work for me. You need more lenght to go with the thickness. And I didn't really have much taper either. So different do's were a bit frustrating. I'm trying this no trim thing hoping my ends will fairytale a little more before I reach that length again.

Jumper
May 16th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah my hair is thick (at 4in) and hot and kind of heavy... But I never really thought of those as downsides to thick hair, more like... Side effects. I love my thick hair.

Though I definitely caused some shedding with my insistence on practicing buns and crown braids recently and manipulating it way too much. It feels like I lost thickness even though it measure right about the same. For a couple showers I had handfuls of hair coming out which had never happened before in my life.

Maybe with gentler LHC methods I'll get thicker hair as I have less breakage/loss.

Bagginslover
May 17th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Ok that's for clarifying that Bagginslover? Cute name. Is that Frodo Baggins?
Do you happen to have any of his sticks and if so, do you like them?
They seem to be very colourful and have nice finishes to them.
Maybe I will rethink this. I love that curly maple in purple and the acrylics look striking.
Plus he has extra long ones which I need.
Do you have any pics of you wearing them?
Sorry if I'm pushing it here. Please don't feel obligated.
Thanks again.

Its is for Frodo, and for my rabbit who was named Baggins. :)

I have more Ed sticks than any other maker. There are photos in my albums, and in the Ed thread, knock yourself out (on my phone, so can't post them myself, sorry)

hennalonghair
May 17th, 2014, 09:00 PM
The title of this thread is " what are your thoughts on thick hair."
There is no right or wrong answer since these are just thoughts.
I apologize for making judgments on some members complaints.
That's my way of trying to be funny however while having a bad hair I'm sure its not all that humorous.

I'm sorry for asking anyone to post pictures.

Thanks for all the help I received.

kyle_f
May 18th, 2014, 06:47 PM
I lost my post!!!
Ok I'll try this again. I was going to ask about the bet and thought it was a conversation like you mentioned.
Yes I bet you get all kinds of women asking or complimenting you about your hair.
You've gotta admit that's its a good conversation starter. Lol!

Haha yeah it can be. And it wasn't so much my friend recommending I grow it out. I gave her the fact that she was always running late because she was trying to deal with it and all the stuff in the bathroom etc. and eventually that lead to a challenge to grow it out since she was convinced I would last more than a couple of months. Not really a bet I suppose though. I have my own apartment now, and its kind of funny since I have a number of bottles of stuff, combs, a hair dryer and hair ties everywhere, so I guess she was right. Plus hair takes time even if you just want a decent looking ponytail (relative to a buzz cut anyway).

MINAKO
May 18th, 2014, 07:55 PM

Hairtype = WHOAAA!
Makes me want to cut back, i loved my pony at this length. The movement kinda gets lost with the length and it just hangs like a big ol' horsetail... Ah, I'm the ever undecided Person. I wanted a long bob so badly earlier this year but the scissors to hair thing is not happeninng unless i have to cut damage, i feels wrong at this point, so i'm trying to get o classic first. Anyways Kyle, awesome hair. I'm really jealous of the texture.

kitana97
May 18th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I <3 thick hair. I have medium hair (strand-wise) but a lot of it. However, truly thick hair is gorgeous. It always seems to look shiny and healthy, not to mention that it's weighs a ton - which to me looks awesome.

Dessi
May 18th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Sometimes I try to convince myself it's better not to have that thick hair cuz it would be harder but..c'mon who am I fooling :D Wish I had more than 3,5 inches circumference.

MINAKO
May 18th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I <3 thick hair. I have medium hair (strand-wise) but a lot of it. However, truly thick hair is gorgeous. It always seems to look shiny and healthy, not to mention that it's weighs a ton - which to me looks awesome.

I have mostly medium hair too, but honestly i wish i had coarse but super straight and slippery hair and still alot of it. The type that just goes right down and doesn't even bother to bend at the shoulders. Let alone bun variation, a cinnamon will do and hair like this is resistant enough to be worn down most of the time anyways. I wonder how a 6 inch thick pony would feel at about mid thigh tho.

kitana97
May 19th, 2014, 12:59 AM
^^ I would imagine a 6 inch pony at that length would feel like wearing a coat - great for winters!

That kind of sounds like my hair, but without the coarseness (that actually depends on if I wash my hair with hard water vs soft water). It's pretty straight and I do find it to be pretty resilient.

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 03:54 AM
That's great! :D I wish i could wear mine down more often, too lazy to learn all those hairstyles anyways. The cuticle is steady as a rock but i can't put up with the texture. If it simply was straight, most of my problems would be gone.

kyle_f
May 19th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I can't see pictures but your avatar pic looks quite nice and looks like you should be close to your goal?

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I can't see pictures but your avatar pic looks quite nice and looks like you should be close to your goal?

Thank you! I have to admit that i need to wrestle my hair with a straightener to achive the look showing on my avatar. Those are 2nd day bun waves actually. But knowing how to work with what's given to you is all there is to it, so i shouldn't complain. You need 25 posts to be able to access profiles, and other restricted areas i think. There#s a picture flying around of my unmanipulated hair in the wet to dry comparison thread tho.

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Thank you! I have to admit that i need to wrestle my hair with a straightener to achive the look showing on my avatar. Those are 2nd day bun waves actually. But knowing how to work with what's given to you is all there is to it, so i shouldn't complain. You need 25 posts to be able to access profiles, and other restricted areas i think. There#s a picture flying around of my unmanipulated hair in the wet to dry comparison thread tho.

mira-chan
May 19th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Yes, 25 posts is required to see profiles. 100 posts and moderator approval to see the meet thread and other things. Also friend request approval from a poster for anything made private by that particular poster.

Meanwhile I'm working with my hair to get an even wave. I don't think I ever tried for straight. :D

kyle_f
May 19th, 2014, 04:18 PM

You're welcome, and I guess I will have to wait a bit, but not too long to see stuff then.

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Meanwhile I'm working with my hair to get an even wave. I don't think I ever tried for straight. :D

Braiding with a scarf does help me to achieve somewhat even waves. I tie it around the base of a pigtail having 2 ends of it and the hair as the third strand. I also posted a sponge curl tutorial in another thead, that kind of worked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z2Ofvrtvc
I could never achieve anything even, just by using a product, might work different on other members hair, but for me it hasn't and sleeping with something soft in your hair to get a certain look to the hair doesn't seem so bad.
Straight?! That's where it's literally getting hot, it's the only way for me to come up with results that meet my expectations. *caresses her flatiron* lol!

mira-chan
May 19th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Thank for the suggestions, I'll try the scarf one. I haven't heard of that before. I usually just do braid or bun waves if I want anything even. My profile has a picture of my hair just with some flax seed gel, but I don't have the patience for that most of the time as it has to dry without any touching usually in a hood of a hoodie.

As for heat, I've never owned a blow drier not to mention a straightener. I have no expectations. :silly:

RingletedManiac
May 19th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Okay, I need some help. This is going to sound pretty pathetic, but how the hell do I straighten my hair. It's so difficult for me. I know that I have to section my hair out, but I just CAN'T DO IT. SOMEBODY HELP, LOL.

meteor
May 19th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Braiding with a scarf does help me to achieve somewhat even waves. I tie it around the base of a pigtail having 2 ends of it and the hair as the third strand. I also posted a sponge curl tutorial in another thead, that kind of worked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z2Ofvrtvc
I could never achieve anything even, just by using a product, might work different on other members hair, but for me it hasn't and sleeping with something soft in your hair to get a certain look to the hair doesn't seem so bad.
Straight?! That's where it's literally getting hot, it's the only way for me to come up with results that meet my expectations. *caresses her flatiron* lol!

For straightening without heat, have you tried wrapping your hair tightly with a scarf, wide ribbon or even a stocking? I found a few videos that demonstrate this, I'm sorry they are in French (I don't know why I can't find it in English), but it's pretty obvious what's going on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRHYOi7xB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LKzTwA4u_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMoHVDZD1iY

Also, you could wrap hair around head or use caterpillar braids like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKn3WzlrlM

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM
For straightening without heat, have you tried wrapping your hair tightly with a scarf, wide ribbon or even a stocking? I found a few videos that demonstrate this, I'm sorry they are in French (I don't know why I can't find it in English), but it's pretty obvious what's going on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRHYOi7xB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LKzTwA4u_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMoHVDZD1iY

Also, you could wrap hair around head or use caterpillar braids like this

Thank you, yes the method with the stocking is somewhat straighter than using the scarf, still i only would take this as a preparation step to dry my hair without a blowdryer an then iron it. I'm really anal when it comes to wearing my hair downand thing it just doesnt look right with wave dents around my head. The braiding keeps the texture a bit more uniform, but most of the time i just do things to see how the come out, decide i don't like them and then ron anyways, lol.
The firl in the last vid has hair a very similar to mine, although the pattern is tighter hers is much curlier and volouminos. The wrapping technique seems to work best, but still not straight enough and therefore a pain, i think i couldn't even handle it on myself.
The segmeted pigtails are ok i guess, i'm just not fond of the small elastics. Either way, its not coming close enough to the results i like to achieve. So i deal with the heat handling my hair as gentle as i can throughout the process and do achieve great results i must say. It needs to be 1a pokerstraight silky on the first day, does leave some options on nice waves afterwards, i never do touchups with the iron again tho. I'm not used to taking proper LHC pic but here are some crappy webcam shots.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m32/shimi88/76490_4077504183049_498137378_n_zps6be658be.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shimi88/media/76490_4077504183049_498137378_n_zps6be658be.jpg.ht ml)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m32/shimi88/1395168_10201146348247910_1787012152_n_zps0d003ee0 .jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shimi88/media/1395168_10201146348247910_1787012152_n_zps0d003ee0 .jpg.html)

Nevermind the candy, lol.

RingletedManiac
May 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM
OH MY GOD, MINAKO. Gorgeous hair.

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 07:01 PM
OH MY GOD, MINAKO. Gorgeous hair.

Aww, thank you! Yes, i do like my hair since i got the handling right, just wish it was like this all the time.

RingletedManiac
May 19th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Be grateful. My hair is really curly and it's just... yeah. -_-

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Be grateful. My hair is really curly and it's just... yeah. -_-

Right, grateful attitude is what i'm trying to teach myself. I have this obsession with 1a hair, but i don't think there's anything wrong with curls on the other hand. I'm sure they look beautiful on you. My natural waves are in this undecided wavy state i cant deal with, i dont even get a ringlet, just noodleish underneath and frizzy on top.

vindo
May 19th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I think thick hair is a term that is often misinterpreted. Most of the population couldn't tell a lot of hair from a little hair and would go by puffyness.
I also know some heads of hair with a medium thickness but NO taper and their ends are so thick it looks like they must have very thick hair.
Of course the opposite can also be true.

I personally believe that the ponytail measurement doesn't matter that much. What matters is having full hair, meaning you have 100% the amount you are supposed to have naturally (no thinning from hair loss), not too much taper, healthy hair...if you have that, it doesn't matter if your hair is thick.

MINAKO
May 19th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I agree Emi, most people would simply go by the amount of volume and count the air in between the hairs to the thickness, which isn't right.
The potential genetic maximum sure looks good on anyone. I'm actually starting to become more of a fan of that tapered look in the last 15-20cm, so thickness isn't always everything. And the finer the hair, the more it spreads as long as there is alot, also it's very relative to the frame and headsize. A very tiny person with average thicknss looks so much different from a larger frame with the same hair.
My hair has never had the same density all ober my head, the canopy is more coarse but there's definitely less hair per square inch then in the underlayers, also the hair around my temples has always been rather fine and a bit sparse. That's just the way it grows.

Charybdis
May 20th, 2014, 02:22 AM
I think the main advantage to knowing your ponytail circumference is that it gives you a better idea of how much length you will need to do various things. So, if your ponytail measures 4.5", you know that you won't be able to do a Chinese braided bun (except maybe as a half-up using a fraction of your hair) at waist length, for example.

RingletedManiac
May 21st, 2014, 07:59 PM
Right, grateful attitude is what i'm trying to teach myself. I have this obsession with 1a hair, but i don't think there's anything wrong with curls on the other hand. I'm sure they look beautiful on you. My natural waves are in this undecided wavy state i cant deal with, i dont even get a ringlet, just noodleish underneath and frizzy on top.

Thank you.

chen bao jun
May 21st, 2014, 10:14 PM
I think thick hair is a term that is often misinterpreted. Most of the population couldn't tell a lot of hair from a little hair and would go by puffyness.
I also know some heads of hair with a medium thickness but NO taper and their ends are so thick it looks like they must have very thick hair.
Of course the opposite can also be true.

I personally believe that the ponytail measurement doesn't matter that much. What matters is having full hair, meaning you have 100% the amount you are supposed to have naturally (no thinning from hair loss), not too much taper, healthy hair...if you have that, it doesn't matter if your hair is thick.

I dunno. while poufiness can definitely make your hair look thicker, people can tell by looking at it when your hair is super-thick whether poufy or not. Normal thick might possibly be less obvious, but even when I have had my hair straightened 'bone straight' with a combination of chemicals and very very high heat, so that it wasn't poufy at all, the first remark I got from most people most of the time was still 'wow your hair is thick'.

they did not say, 'wow your hair is attractive' when it was straight (it's interesting that I only get compliments on my hair in its natural curls) but they could still tell it was 'a lot of hair' (which was the other remark people always made--actually still make). The remarks on the thickness have always seemed to me to be on the order of the remarks people make when someone is very tall ('wow, you're 6ft. 7') or very--noticeably out of the ordinary in some way. You definitely attract attention. But whether it is always positive attention --I'm not sure. Except of course, here on LHC. I

i definitely agree with the last part of what you said, that the important thing is for the hair to look healthy and like it's supposed to be. And each kind of hair has its own qualities of beauty and styles that look great with it. I love braids in my thick hair but there are plenty of other hairstyles that do not suit it. And it never looks silky, floaty, ethereal, like beautiful thinner hair.

MINAKO
May 21st, 2014, 11:00 PM
I think the thing with many types of hair, as it is straightened, it still has a bit mor volume, because it will never align as perfectly smooth as natural straight hair, but it's actually not more in comparison regarding mass, it will hardly be able to crash down from a bun as dense and heavy as the 1a counterpart. Like when i do mine, on the first day i can achieve something that comes pretty close and some people wouldn't be able to tell. It comes out very compacted and flat after ironing and i would get the "whoaaa nice" comment, but not "omg, that's a ton of hair". let me sleep on it for 3 nights, it will still be straight enough, but volume wise it's another story, i can tellthat it becomes lighter and fluffier and those are the days when i mostly get the question if i'm wearing extensions, which leads to the thought that people are not used to the amount they percieve. Personally i prefer the flat and compacted thing, but i wouldn't iron it a second time solely for that reason, so i just do some bun waves and let them be.

florenonite
May 22nd, 2014, 04:32 AM
they did not say, 'wow your hair is attractive' when it was straight (it's interesting that I only get compliments on my hair in its natural curls)

That's because your natural curls are so pretty ^_^

chen bao jun
May 22nd, 2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks,florenonite.
I do think that most of us, if not all of us tend to have what suits us best. Though of course we have a right to not like it and to change if we want.
Yes, MINAKO, in no way was my straightened like natural 1a hair in terms of how it behaved. I definitely did not have the bun drop you are describing. I was just saying that it lost the air space that it has in between normally because of the curls and the poufiness, especially when I brushed it after straightening it and even on the first day (you are right, it coarsens after the initial straightening, although with me, it would be after I washed it, so about a week), and that without the air space, it is still obviously very thick. And people with a great deal of density obviously have thick hair that others notice once it reaches a certain critical mass. Like that Chinese girl you posted with the braid that I thought at first was photoshopped--you would notice that as extremely thick hair. And--according to your taste, it might not look quite so nice if it wasn't in a braid. If she had her hair loose. She might have triangle head, even at that length and with that texture--but that's another issue and partly one of taste.
I was just saying to Emichee that I do think its obvious to the general population if you have super thick hair and that its not all an issue of people mistaking curls for thick hair.
There's a whole lot of black people with the curliest hair possible (which I actually don't have) who still obviously have thin (low density) hair.

duchess67
May 22nd, 2014, 08:24 AM
When I see someone in real life, I can easily make out whether that person has thick hair or whether that person has made it poufy to make it look thicker. And I have started noticing more about hair now than before :D

MINAKO
May 22nd, 2014, 09:00 AM
I guess some people pay closer attention while others don't like the entire LHC membership and plenty of people with an interest in hair or generally good obsevation can tell.
Yeah, im on the fence, when i see a 4" 1a hea of hair down, that looks like waaay enough to me actually, i'm just so obsessed with having more in the front over my soulder when i look in the mirror that i'm thinking 5.5" would be ideal. Actually with the waves i have enough for days, it doesnt look significantly poufier, but still.
I'm right in the middle of these two measurements, so i definitely have no right to complain. My head is also pretty small, so it sure is enough, but then again my fingers are incredibly long which might contribute to the feeling of not having enough. I should really take more pictures instead on think i know whats going on back there, lol.

chen bao jun
May 22nd, 2014, 09:50 AM
You visibly have thick hair, Minako.
I do think that a person can definitely have 'enough' hair without having thick hair. I have one friend who is a natural blond, a dark blonde like most who are not children anymore and her hair is very thin and fine. Its maybe bra strap, sometimes a little below. Her hair is jsut so unbelievably beautiful. Because it is thin and fine, it looks ethereal and its floaty because its so lightweight. This woman seriously looks a Madonna in a painting, because of her hair (well, she has a gorgeous oval face, too). Literally--I have been looking Madonnas in late medieval books of hours and they are usually this exact hairtype. She is definitely a i in circumference, no way is she a ii. And its definitely 'enough' hair, she doesn't need any more.
There's lots of Asians with the 1A hair type Minako admires so much who are a very different hair type than that, sometimes they may actually have more density and usually their hair is coarse, but it does not appear to have a lot of volume and its silky and flowy and gorgeous.
Big, thick hair has its beauties (when you learn to handle it), but people definitely can have 'enough' hair and gorgeous hair without insane high density. In fact, I think a bunch of the actresses and models who are hair extensioned to appear high density when they aren't naturally, look ridiculous. In my case, as with a lot of very thickhaired people, I have a big head, and big shoulders and a face that needs a lot of 'frame' around it. I'm not strong featured, but I have definite features and huge thick eyebrows and very noticeable high cheekbones. If you look at a lot of the pre-Raphaelite paintings, where the girls have super thick (and generally really curly and poufy) hair, you see a lot of strong faces. It all goes together. I can't imagine someone with Emichiee's delicate face and fragile lovely looks with a big head of hair like mine. It would look just awful, seriously. Her hair is just right for her. (I adore that color, too).

MINAKO
May 22nd, 2014, 10:14 AM
Oh, i agree that theres alot hair in the thin range going on that actually suits people. As i said, being more than a solid iii kind of makes me compare myself at the top end of the range which i definitely shouldn't.
Especially short hair does often profit from less thickness and not everybody wants it long or would look better with that.

chen bao jun
May 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Your hair is lovely Minako.
I've been so obsessed for a couple of years (time I've been on LHC) that I'm having to remind myself that yes, many people really do not want long hair. I went to see my mom and she had actually gone bald in spots at one point (from extensions on her fragile type 4c hair)and had said how she was longing for long hair. We got castor oil and did massages and her bald spots filled in and her hair grew a lot. Its brastrap in spots when stretched out (she has like 90% shrinkage) which is longer than its ever been. I was wanting to work on it a little more this time and she was like, totally uninterested. she's like, she has enough hair now. She didn't want to be bald but she doesn't want super long hair either and she most definitely does not enjoy taking trouble with her hair AT ALL. So long as she has some, she finds its supremely uninteresting and unimportant.

She like me growing my hair long because she's sorry that she started straightening it when I was a young child (having no idea how to take care of it) and is so glad to see that she didn't permanently destroy it--likes telling me how much my hair looks like this and that relative of my father's as it grows. But hair in general is boring to her and it always has been. She hates hers to break off and she doesn't want to be actually bald, but that does not translate to wishing for seriously long hair and she never did. She was telling me (and I know its true, she's talked about it before) how when she was a young girl and a serious beauty (honestly, I've never seen anyone else as gorgeous as my mom is her young photographs, not even my sister who kept winning beauty contests), all the girls with long hair used to tell her, "You're so pretty, it's a shame you don't also have long hair, that would make you perfect." But none of the men ever cared.
The woman is like five foot ten and used to have a twenty-inch waist. I know because I've measured her wedding dress waist. And she wasn't skinny--she was like 36-20-36 or something crazy like that. And just absolutely perfect skin and wonderful features, perfectly symmetrical.
I don't look one bit like her and never did. I look like my father's family.

MINAKO
May 22nd, 2014, 01:23 PM
Thank you!
Yeah, for to be so very self critical is pretty much like getting what we are asking for and then right on want more.
Honestly, as a Kid, i never though i would make it past shoulder, my hair was a dry crunchy mess of a 3a/b texture, it was always cut to around ear length, cause nobody would know how to deal with it. Most of the time it curled up so much that it resembled a short afro, which is cute for a kid, but doesn't suit everyone as they grow up. But slowly my texture was also changing into something more managable, so i got to APL and it really grew straighter over the years. Still it was dry as the desert because i didn't have a routine, just a brush and determination to at least wear it in a pony. Thn i started to expiriment with conditioners and serums and soon came the straightening and i had to find out all of this stuff by myself too.
My mom has pokerstraight medium causasian hair and knew nothing about thick hair or curls or dryness. She just keeps it short and covers her grays with a lighter shade of strwberry blonde. So not really a source for advice. I was trying to encourage her recently to go grey and grow a bit longer, but she doesn't show any interst at all, just keeping everything the same. But now she does admire my hair, when i feel she just hated it when i was little, screaming murder and breaking all the combs and brushes in the house, lol.
Regarding genes, the only thing i got from my mom is probably the face shape from the front view and the neck, the rest comes together very randomly from the other part of the family which i didn't happen to meet apart from pictures, but you see the asian as well as the black.
Your mom sounds like a lovely woman, and i agree with her in a way. If she wanted to, she could have gone for longer hair, but true beauty doesn't need that kind of enhancement to be noticed. It's an extra, not the main part.

~*~Aspen~*~
May 22nd, 2014, 02:28 PM

I have thick and curly hair.
:afro:

:agape:It's crazy sometimes..

Frizz happens, split ends are hard to see, and pressing of the hair happens quixotically. -meaning, I can tame it one way in a day,or it can tame itself, deep washing is a pain if you keep curls, braiding down for a couple days or bunning up for a couple days can be a pain, (ie: traction alope cia) but thankfully to my thicker head of hair we have "happier misadventures":p

Recommendation so far to literally lay the poof monster down: Jamaican Black Castor Oil it worked for me but I wouldn't put it in all the time.:o

chen bao jun
May 22nd, 2014, 03:18 PM
Well, Minako, long hair may be an 'extra' but it's one I really really want at this point of my life. Kudos to you on figuring out how to grow it WAY past shoulder.
My mom used to break all the combs and brushes (and barrettes) in the house on me, too and she used to cry and I used to cry--it was a disaster. She could not understand what was going on. Her 4c hair doesn't break the combs and brushes (although the combs and brushes break her hair, partly why it was so short). My mom's mom had wavy type Caucasian hair that she brushed 100x a night with a boar bristle brush and kept up in a hair net, so in 3 generations we have three entirely different heads of hair--the downside of race mixing, especially before there was the internet to tell you what to do with a kind of hair that you have no experience with dealing with at all. I know people still do struggle now, too. A big thing my mom was struggling with was that she kept thinking that since my hair was so much looser in texture than hers it ought to be more 'manageable' hahaha. Well, we can all have laugh at that now.
ASPEN, I find Jamaican black castoris just amazing for adding thickness and bringing back thickness (and as I said, my mom was literally bald in spots, like clean bald, and it brought her hair back) but I wouldn't think it would be so great for controlling pouf as it is so sticky in texture. It does great things for the scalp but I think it makes my hair actually gummy, I can't stand it at all (unless I mix half-half with burdock root oil). I find aloe vera gel tames my pouf. Maybe that would work for you? Though not if you are straightening, it will take you back to curl then.

MINAKO
May 22nd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Wanting something is the way to go, as long as you don't feel your entire being depends on that one thing and you are nothing whitout it. I often think this must be the pressure felt by chicks with really bad extensions or weaves. I'm not judging, but often times the would look so much better with just their own hair short, instead of something ratty and and not well maintained. Now there would be this beauty in the eye of the beholder argument, but then i suggest they pass on that excruciatig eyesight and just start growing hair as we do it here. Being patient, active and proud about ones personal goals sure is beatiful too, as it gives a whole different attitude to the entire thing.

It's funny looking back at all the mistkes i have made and the undestanding for them, that i now think of as obvious. i could have had hair past my bum before i was even at shoulder, but that would have happened if someone told me about deep treatments and conditioner before. My mom certainly knew nothing of it, so i had to cut the dry parts frequently as my hair was not getting any moisture or whatsoever. Bad bad thing, even at a quicker growth rate its impossible this way.
I have strong and very smooth cuticles, but even those get shred at some point if treated poorly. I'm really happy to have gotten the chance to educate myself early about the matter, so regardless of genetics, the mix or current length/condition, being persistent about making the best of it is as much as it takes.

I've never treid the jamaican castor oil you guys are mentioning, only the regular one, but maybe i should give it a shot to see what it does.

Throwing in a pic of my damp and heavyly oiled bun from a few weeks ago. It's as much as i can compact it, you could actually knock on it.
Recently the monster started slipping to the right and down towards my nape but i don't want to use elastics, so it's time for a 3 or 4 prong fork i suppose. :silly:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m32/shimi88/1146578_10201875933087075_1024746196_n_zpsdcd35d78 .jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shimi88/media/1146578_10201875933087075_1024746196_n_zpsdcd35d78 .jpg.html)

chen bao jun
May 22nd, 2014, 04:24 PM
Jamaican black castor oil is not the same as the castor oil you buy in the store, even the health food store and it does indeed boost thickness. In that it can get you back to thickness you had before, or thickness you didn't know you had, due to poor hair care. Nothing can like, create new follicles for hair to grow out of for you, though.
the best is if you can find an older Jamaican or Haitian lady to make some for you and sell it to you in a reused bottle (often a rum bottle) but if you can't manage that, this one is good:
http://www.amazon.com/Jamaican-Black-Castor-Oil-8oz/dp/B003CTTZQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400796787&sr=8-1&keywords=jamaican+black+castor+oil

Haitians call it l'huile palma christi or l'huile mascreti (some people make that sound like 'masketi' if they are real creole and don't do well with French 'r')--its pretty much the same but Jamaican is easier to get and Haitian is stronger.

as I said, I mix mine with repinoe maslo or Ukrainian/Russian burdock root oil-- I guess I am just so used to mixing different nationalities and cultures or things from different nationalities and cultures. I figure every Ukrainian I have ever met has great hair in spite of starvation condition, so what the heck? And it makes less gummy.
http://www.amazon.com/Russianshoppe-Burdock-Oil/dp/B003R2GDWM/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1400797211&sr=1-1&keywords=burdock+root+oil

Neither one of these things smells great but if you rub some on at night the smell is gone by the morning. Of course, you might prefer to rub a little on in the morning rather than at night if hubby is sensitive to smells.

My mom says she can't believe hubby puts up all my night-time beauty treatments--not jsut the hair braided in a silk scarf thing but cotton socks and gloves on if I feel my skin is getting dry, with lots of cocoa butter or coconut oil (it soaks in if you leave it on all night, no old lady hands) etc. etc. She's the one who impressed on me the importance of protecting skin but thinks the old man should see somebody attractive at night, not all oiled and wrapped up lol

chen bao jun
May 22nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
Great-great grandfather on dad's side WAS from what they call 'the Pale'--its either Russia, Poland or Ukraine nowadays, kind of an area that took in parts of what are all three of those modern countries. He was a Jew running away from pogroms, ran all the way to Jamaica and then Mexico. Talk about culture shock.

Loviatar
May 22nd, 2014, 04:33 PM
Thank you Chen for the JBCO Link - I've been looking for a good one. Burdock is great for hair - I have a burdock tincture somewhere as well. But my favourite oil is bhringraj so I might cut the castor oil with that. It smells strongly but I do like it.

RingletedManiac, I'm still really curious to see a 7" pony circumference. My friend Gwen has 6" with a 1b/Coarse hairtype. She has the thickest hair I've ever seen IRL.

MINAKO
May 22nd, 2014, 04:51 PM
Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and adding the links, chen bao jun!
Burdock oil i very esy to buy here, altho i haven't tried it yet, and the jamaican black castor oil, i found the exact same one in a german online store as well.
Sadly i don't know anybody haitian, who i could ask for such things, but the one from the store will do (to hell with downsizing on products, hehehe!)
Ah well, i dont mind a bit of smell for an overnight treatment, for some reason i hate olive oil as the only exception, but if i can stand argan, i dunno, it doesn't smell nice either, but works fine so i use it anyways.

Don't worry, i think your hubby apprecites the efforts you make at night when the next day comes and you look all fresh and glowing. ;)

duchess67
May 22nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
I've been mixing both Jamaican black castor oil and Burdock oil in my regular neeli oil and apply it before every wash. Bought both oils from amazon following chen's advice. JBC oil is very thick, so it's better to mix it with another oil for ease of application. Guess I need to use these oils regularly for a few more months to reap the benefits.

minaa
May 22nd, 2014, 08:21 PM
Having thick hair is a pain, but I wouldn't trade it. I've thinned it a little bit by having fringe, and that helps me manage at least a cinnamon bun at mid back length. My circumference is 5''+ when I have no fringe, so I'm guessing I'm at 4.5'' now. I haven't measured. My hair is getting long enough now, though, that deep treatments are going to be necessary soon. I have to scrub pretty well and use a decent amount of shampoo to clean my scalp, and I go through conditioner pretty quickly on my length to keep it in shape. I enjoy doing multi-sectioned buns and multiple buns right now, and I'm trying to do braids more (however basic they may be).

There's nothing like proving a stylist wrong. Before I found a regular stylist who knew how to handle my hair, I'd go to different people. They wouldn't listen when I'd tell them, "I have a lot of hair, so it's going to take a little bit of work for 'x' style." I would hear an hour later, without fail: "WOW you have a lot of hair." said several times over. *shakes head*

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 02:36 AM
Who else sections their hair for washing? My hair gets sectioned into 4 parts (top of the head, back of the head, and two sides). It gets 3 palmfuls of shampoo, 1 for the top, 1 for the back, and 1 divided over the sides. Each section is scrubbed separately, then when there's enough lather the entire head is foamed up. But yeah, sectioning. Who else?

Charybdis
May 23rd, 2014, 03:15 AM
Who else sections their hair for washing?

Yup. I actually lift up a section and then apply shampoo at the roots for that section. I don't do anything terribly organised, but the approximate sections are:

- Side of head over each ear
- Top of head towards the hairline
- Crown of head
- Nape of neck

Probably use about one palmful of shampoo on the scalp, then about half that amount of a mild SLS-free shampoo on the length.

Charybdis
May 23rd, 2014, 03:19 AM
Double post.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 03:27 AM
Probably use about one palmful of shampoo on the scalp, then about half that amount of a mild SLS-free shampoo on the length.

I use a harsh sl(e)s shampoo, due to Seborrheic Dermatitis. Wish I could go sl(e)s free or CO so bad sometimes, but no go. Anyway, we use pretty much (pretty much) the same method. Sectioning, ever since we started doing it, is awesome for me BTW!

Charybdis
May 23rd, 2014, 03:39 AM
I have to use SLS shampoo at least every couple of weeks (more often in hard water areas) to keep SD at bay too. ETA: on roots only -- I switch to the gentle stuff for my length, or use conditioner only on length if I have been going light on the leave-ins.

Sectioning rocks! Don't know how else I could keep my scalp clean.

MINAKO
May 23rd, 2014, 03:40 AM
I do section down the middle only, but i CO wash, so even if i don't manage to rinse everything properly it's still ok. But i do change positions while rinsing in that i first tilt my head down and strat from the back and go up to the front of my hairline and then back so that the hair sort of flows all together.

mira-chan
May 23rd, 2014, 08:16 AM
I don't section exactly but I dilute my shampoo in and old shampoo bottle (12 oz) so the shampoo flows more and then apply it to different parts of the head. Just one glob of shampoo is not going to spread to all my scalp either. I concentrate on the scalp only and any excess flows down length as it is rinsed off. I also wash leaning forward in a basin so that the hair is in free float and I can get under it and to the scalp. When I washed in the shower standing up and hair down my back, I never felt like my scalp got fully cleaned.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 10:53 AM
I also wash leaning forward in a basin so that the hair is in free float and I can get under it and to the scalp. When I washed in the shower standing up and hair down my back, I never felt like my scalp got fully cleaned.

Same here, in the bathroom sink. It helps clean my hair - and no tangles after either (lots of coney condish).

meteor
May 23rd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Who else sections their hair for washing?
I section hair for washing, too. I tend to section in 2 or 3 parts to get most of my scalp. Another thing that helps a lot is diluting shampoo and applying it in a few places on the scalp before starting to massage it.
Whenever I don't section, I tend to end up with some unwashed areas.

For conditioning, I don't really section, but I always end up using half a bottle of conditioner/mask, even when I try diluting it for easier application. It's beginning to bother me: as my hair is getting longer, I just need way too much conditioner to get any decent coverage. Any tips on this, guys?

meteor
May 23rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Same here, in the bathroom sink. It helps clean my hair - and no tangles after either (lots of coney condish).

I really want to use the sink, too, because I am beginning to notice that my hair is getting painfully heavy when it's wet in the shower.
However, whenever I washed in the sink, my hair got very tangled from the manipulation because it's not just hanging down in straight line while being washed, instead it's getting swished around a lot in a small sink.

mira-chan
May 23rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
I really want to use the sink, too, because I am beginning to notice that my hair is getting painfully heavy when it's wet in the shower.
However, whenever I washed in the sink, my hair got very tangled from the manipulation because it's not just hanging down in straight line while being washed, instead it's getting swished around a lot in a small sink.

My basin is a bit bigger than the sink and deeper, so my hair is in free float when in the water. I do a final rinse with a hand held shower head so that alligns all the hairs. I've used a pitcher for this when the shower head wasn't available. When hair is in free float it tends to tangle less. This method is also great at getting herbs and henna out of hair faster.

Charybdis
May 23rd, 2014, 11:58 AM
For conditioning, I don't really section, but I always end up using half a bottle of conditioner/mask, even when I try diluting it for easier application. It's beginning to bother me: as my hair is getting longer, I just need way too much conditioner to get any decent coverage. Any tips on this, guys?

I turn the shower off, leaving my hair soaking wet, and finger-comb the conditioner through. Before doing the real finger-combing, I take half my hair, tilt my head to the side, and run my palms (with a big glob of conditioner spread over them) along the "outside" of the hanging-down hair, just spreading the conditioner with no real attempt to mush it into the hair or to do any combing. ETA to make clearer: I run one hand over the top side of the hair and one hand over the underside, so that the underlayers get conditioner on them as well as the canopy.

Repeat on the other side, then finger-comb until conditioner is well-distributed. [ETA: I get lots of shed hairs coming out during this process. However, if I don't finger-comb in the shower, I get lots more shed hairs on my TT later, so I do not think my overall total number of shed hairs is affected.] Add more conditioner as required for good coverage. I'm between waist and hip, and I can get by with about two palmfuls of a heavy conditioner. (I do S&C, not CO, so I'm not using a lightweight CO-washing conditioner, and I do not do any dilution.) The conditioning process takes about 5 minutes, then I let the conditioner sit on my hair until I've finished the rest of my shower and rinse it off at the end.

I also know what you mean about wet hair getting VERY heavy. It isn't painful for me at this point, but I could see it getting that way past classic.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 11:58 AM

No sectioning for conditioner here either. Wish I had tips, but no. I need *tons* of conditioner. At least a heaping palmful for my lengths (from ear down), for my first condition, and then another heaping palmful for my second condition.

chen bao jun
May 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
I do section when putting in conditioner. My sister asked me to check if I was conditioning all my hair before and I wasn't Underneath the canopy never got anything put on it (though I was using globs) and it was contributing to the texture difference between the top and bottom of my hair. I have tighter curls (much tighter) on the bottom with more of tendency for frizz there on the top, but when the whole thing gets conditioned, even though it doesn't solve the problem completely, it really helps.

I am loving this sink/basin idea. I may try that. I actually have a large basin in my laundry room and it even has a hose attachment there that works as a faucet. I wash my hair in braids to limit tangling--would that negate the benefits of sink washing? anyone?

meteor
May 23rd, 2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks so much, guys! :flowers: Those are great ideas! :)
Chen bao jun, I'll start sectioning, too, as I know I'm not getting good coverage under the canopy. I'm very curious about the braids in basin too! I'd imagine it shouldn't create extra tangles since the hair is kept contained, but I don't know.
Charybdis, thanks so much for the tips on how to work the conditioner into the hair. I know I love to avoid wet manipulation, but working the conditioner into hair well really makes a big positive difference, even though it results in a bit more shedding or breakage in the shower.

Mira-chan, I'll try a bigger basin. Do you use it to wet your hair, then shampoo, then wash shampoo off and (after conditioning) wash conditioner off? Or just wetting hair and shampooing?

mira-chan
May 23rd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks so much, guys! :flowers: Those are great ideas! :)
Chen bao jun, I'll start sectioning, too, as I know I'm not getting good coverage under the canopy. I'm very curious about the braids in basin too! I'd imagine it shouldn't create extra tangles since the hair is kept contained, but I don't know.
Charybdis, thanks so much for the tips on how to work the conditioner into the hair. I know I love to avoid wet manipulation, but working the conditioner into hair well really makes a big positive difference, even though it results in a bit more shedding or breakage in the shower.

Mira-chan, I'll try a bigger basin. Do you use it to wet your hair, then shampoo, then wash shampoo off and (after conditioning) wash conditioner off? Or just wetting hair and shampooing?

I dunk my hair into the water in the basin. I let the ends float in the water as I apply diluted shampoo on the scalp only. Massage, wash scalp, then dunk in water and massage scalp while in the water. Then I apply conditioner, switch water in the basin to fresh water. Rinse off conditioner in the basin. Then a final rinse with the shower head focused on the scalp, out of the basin. Finally a scalp rinse with diluted vinegar or citric acid and leave in on the length.

So the ends and half the length are in free float in the basin for most of the time. That reduces the weight of the hair and the hair is less tangled in the water.

I don't section for conditioner either, I just squish it into the "hair rope." I have never been able to comb my hair while wet despite many attempts in the previous years of experimentation. Even with globs of conditioner, nope. Once it's dry, no problems with tangles.

meteor
May 23rd, 2014, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much, mira-chan, for such a great explanation! Your technique will really help me. :) And I just love how hair feels so much lighter when washed in sink/basin. I'll also try to keep in in free float and not to swish it around randomly, to avoid unnecessary tangles.

RingletedManiac
May 23rd, 2014, 08:09 PM
Everybody has all these great tips and all, but I don't really know what to do for myself. It's a pain.

Sharysa
May 23rd, 2014, 09:38 PM
I just section my hair into two halves and pay extra attention to the nape, ears, and back of my head. I still need at least two or three palmfuls to get everything clean, though.

As for you, RingletedManiac, just try one or two things at a time and then see what happens before trying the next experiment.

RingletedManiac
June 17th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Bumping this thread back up again. Just wanted to hear more of others' opinions on thick hair. I also need some advice. I've been trying to wear my hair curly and down but it never looks right.

jupiterinleo
June 18th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I am perfectly content with my thickness, ~4.4" I think. Last time I measured it was 4.2" but that was without my bangs, which I'm now growing out.

The only thing I'd change is my strand thickness; I wish my hair wasn't so fine. I get splits no matter how I coddle my hair. I also feel like my hair doesn't look very thick because it's so fine.

I also need some advice. I've been trying to wear my hair curly and down but it never looks right.

I wish I could give good advice on curly hair, but I'll give it a shot. I've noticed that a lot of people get more curls out of doing CO washing and/or the LOC method of styling.

meteor
June 18th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I wish I could give good advice on curly hair, but I'll give it a shot. I've noticed that a lot of people get more curls out of doing CO washing and/or the LOC method of styling.
That's great advice. I'd add experimenting with some variation on the Curly Girl method (by Lorraine Massey) and checking out the popular Wurly and Curly thread for routines and styling ideas: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

chen bao jun
June 18th, 2014, 11:23 AM
ringleted maniac, as a thick curly, with my hair down I pretty much automatically look a lot better wearing half ups.

Undomiel
June 18th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I personally think thick hair is gorgeous! My hair is thick as is, but I'd love it to be even thicker (despite the summer heat, I'd deal lol). I'd take double the frizz for double the thickness any day haha. Thinner hair can look good too in it's own way though, nice and silky-shiny look. :)

curlylocks85
July 10th, 2014, 02:48 PM

My thoughts on my thick hair have changed over the years. When I was a child, I thought that my hair being so thick was unusual. Most of the kids had thin to medium hair and it was either straight or wavy. I was teased a lot because my hair was thick and curly.

I learned early on that the shorter my hair is the more difficult it is for me to manage. My mother would help me wash it to get all the conditioner through it because I would always miss most of my hair, especially the hair in between.

Now I have a routine that works for me. I do use a lot of conditioner and it really helps to keep my hair more moisturized and feeling softer. I only use shampoo when my scalp is dirty from humidity or my scalp starts itching and developing buildup. Otherwise, I just use a few different conditioners when I wash. I finger comb and wide tooth comb my hair in the shower. My hair gets frizzy if combed when dry and it takes out my curls more quickly.

My think curly hair can be a pain in some ways, but it is my hair and I am embracing it for what it is. The longer it gets the better I think it looks. I feel it is a blessing and I am grateful for having hair at all. :)

NatNat
July 10th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Thick hair is beautiful, but whats also beautiful is learning to love what you've got. Thick hair is harder to shampoo and is heavier. :)

dellad
July 10th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I'm a mid-range ii and I really really wish I had thicker hair, even after reading about all the hassles associated with thick hair. Ah...hair envy...

Feline
July 10th, 2014, 04:36 PM
My hair has always been thick, and I can remember not understanding why hairdressers and my mother would take thinning shears to it. I like the way it looks and feels. Having said that, I think I have lost some thickness due to my thyroid issues, but it still measures 4in around. I have problems getting elastics and clips to work or hold, or even hold together, and it takes forever to dry. I still like it thick and would not change it for thinner hair.

Sharysa
July 10th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Oh boy, thinning out hair. I tried layers in high school and it led to lots and lots of straightening.

StellaKatherine
July 10th, 2014, 07:51 PM
My own hair measures 3,14 inches... Usually I am ok with it, it looks pretty good in buns and no one ever would guess, that my hair is TB lenght as it compacts so well. The only time I wish, really wish I would have not much more, but closer to 4 inches when I do more complicated braided styles. I am addicted to braids and braided styles and that is where thicker hair would shine.. Oh well, I promised to myself 1. not to be jealous 2. try my best 3. admire all the different hairs no matter how thick as the most important is health of it :D You all girls have mazing hairs :flower:

Timea
July 11th, 2014, 01:58 AM
It's hard having thick hair because everyone tells you that you've won the hair lottery when you can't find elastics that are big enough and the hair clips don't hold your hair and you can't put it in certain types of buns even at waist length...

I like my hair and it's nice but I could do more with thinner braids. I usually have to divide it into more sections to get my braids small enough to go around enough times for a bun.

lapushka
July 11th, 2014, 06:58 AM
It's hard having thick hair because everyone tells you that you've won the hair lottery when you can't find elastics that are big enough and the hair clips don't hold your hair and you can't put it in certain types of buns even at waist length...

Yes! I hate how everyone just acts as if it's the best thing *ever* (and practically drools over it :rolleyes:), and you have so much trouble handling it and dealing with it.

StellaKatherine
July 11th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Yes! I hate how everyone just acts as if it's the best thing *ever* (and practically drools over it :rolleyes:), and you have so much trouble handling it and dealing with it.

I experienced the thick hair with parande... My hair was maybe ! 1/2 thicker than naturally. Two days of wearing and I got huge headache and I was forced to take medecine as I couldn't sleep.. I understood then how it feels to have thick hair.... Would really recommend to everyone who has thinner hair to try it out - it definitely opens your eyes :D I do wish my hair would look like this ALWAYS, but... not worth of headacke ;)

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/Arelyn_bucket/paranda.jpg

jupiterinleo
July 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
StellaKatherine , that looks gorgeous! You must have had some crazy waves are leaving that in for a couple days.

lapushka
July 11th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I experienced the thick hair with parande... My hair was maybe ! 1/2 thicker than naturally. Two days of wearing and I got huge headache and I was forced to take medecine as I couldn't sleep.. I understood then how it feels to have thick hair.... Would really recommend to everyone who has thinner hair to try it out - it definitely opens your eyes :D I do wish my hair would look like this ALWAYS, but... not worth of headacke ;)

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/Arelyn_bucket/paranda.jpg

That's very pretty, though. Probably not worth the headache, but still... very pretty! :D

StellaKatherine
July 11th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Jupiterinleo, Yeah, and my hair was BIG :D Should have probably taken some photos after taking off ;)

lapushka, Thank you :D I can still wear it once per day... But definitely need to take it off for a night from now on :D

meteor
July 11th, 2014, 04:39 PM
That's really beautiful, StellaKatherine! :)

I have a few questions that I haven't yet found easy solutions to:

1) Which non-braided hairstyles are doable on thick and heavy hair? All my updos are based on braids, and I can't seem to mount my hair in a tangle-free and secure fashion without some braiding. And I'm not skilled at updos.

2) If your hair is heavy when it's wet in the shower: how do you wash your hair to avoid a sore scalp?

3) How do you handle headaches that can happen sometimes? Do you simply take hair down? Or is there a special massage for this problem or some protective updos that are sure not to give headaches?

Thank you in advance, guys!:flower:

jupiterinleo
July 11th, 2014, 04:57 PM
2) If your hair is heavy when it's wet in the shower: how do you wash your hair to avoid a sore scalp?

3) How do you handle headaches that can happen sometimes? Do you simply take hair down? Or is there a special massage for this problem or some protective updos that are sure not to give headaches?

2. I wet and wash my hair upside-down (bent at the waist) for half of the washing to get the underneath part of my hair and to take some pressure off the front of my scalp. I only started doing it last wash; before then I never thought I could, I assumed it would get nastily tangled but it actually wasn't bad at all. I also started washing out in the garden with the hose, haha. I like that more than washing in the shower, though I'm not sure why. I use a shampoo bar and then a vinegar rinse, so I'm not worried about contamination.

3. I've actually never gotten headaches from updo's, probably because I always re-do them through the day and wear my hair down if I won't be moving around for a while, like sitting at the computer. Sometimes braids can get heavy, so I then switch it to double braids which are never a problem.

Sharysa
July 11th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Congratulations, StellaKatherine! You now understand thick hair problems! XD

As for Meteor: I noticed that in addition to splitting my hair in half, switching to navy-style showers helps considerably with wet hair. Maybe because with a normal shower, you're under constant running water and it keeps your hair plastered to your scalp?

Larki
July 11th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Navy-style?

Sharysa
July 11th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Navy style showers are where you turn the shower on just long enough to get wet, turn it off and lather everything up, and then turn the water back on to rinse.

It comes from how navy ships needed to conserve water.

mira-chan
July 11th, 2014, 07:52 PM
That's really beautiful, StellaKatherine! :)

I have a few questions that I haven't yet found easy solutions to:

1) Which non-braided hairstyles are doable on thick and heavy hair? All my updos are based on braids, and I can't seem to mount my hair in a tangle-free and secure fashion without some braiding. And I'm not skilled at updos.

Thank you in advance, guys!:flower:

My hair is not quite a thick at yours, though it's a touch longer.

1. Try two or more buns next to each other. That will split the weight. You want larger base/ width hairstyles that spread the weight as much as possibly. Claw clips around the periphery of the bun instead of forks and other clips gives the best weight balance.

2. I don't wash my hair in the shower. I lean over a basin so the hair is in free float except the last rinse with the shower head. It reduces the weight on my head when the hair is supported by water.

3. I must have a scalp of steel but I don't usually get hair headaches. I can get a neck ache from bad sitting when compounded with a non balanced style. A braid is actually most likely to give me a headache as I always put it over my shoulder and that seems to misalign something in my neck. The braided bun is my go to balanced no issue style now.

Madora
July 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Navy style showers are where you turn the shower on just long enough to get wet, turn it off and lather everything up, and then turn the water back on to rinse.

I've been doing that for years. Sure saves on the water bill! I cheat a bit, however, and leave a little bit of med. hot water in the tub/shower (makes my Renaud's easier to bear).

MINAKO
July 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
1. I'm expiriencing hairstyle dyslexia, but a cinnabun thats kind of very flat and also high never gets me a headache, while lowering the bun results in pulling and a nautilus for example isn't always comfortable (although more secure). A hairband at the base of the bun also helps, but im often too lazy to do that, same as with doing several buns, i don't have a problem with the weight so i don't change anything.

2. When i wash my hair i do the navy style thing that sharysa desribed. I o my hair after my body split it in half and to the front over my shoulders to see what im doing.

3. I'm so used to wearing my bun one particular way that i sometimes realize i don't handle my head well when hair is down... that's what i'm not used to, lol.
If my neck aches it's most likely that my hair was interfering with my pillow at night, but it rarely happens since i sleep on silk or satin.

meteor
July 12th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Thank you so very much, guys! :D Your advice is super helpful! :flower:

As for having a sensitive or tough scalp, it might be just genetic. Unfortunately, I've heard of women who cut hair due to scalp pains shudder:, and I hope there are ways to avoid that for all long-haired folks going for terminal.

Mira-chan, how do you handle the lack of water pressure when you wash in a basin? I tried a mermaid wash recently and I felt I couldn't really get my scalp washed effectively without strong water pressure from a shower-head.

mira-chan
July 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Thank you so very much, guys! :D Your advice is super helpful! :flower:

As for having a sensitive or tough scalp, it might be just genetic. Unfortunately, I've heard of women who cut hair due to scalp pains shudder:, and I hope there are ways to avoid that for all long-haired folks going for terminal.

Mira-chan, how do you handle the lack of water pressure when you wash in a basin? I tried a mermaid wash recently and I felt I couldn't really get my scalp washed effectively without strong water pressure from a shower-head.

When the hair is in free float, I bend down forward so all hairs point down, it's easier to get between them to the scalp. When I washed standing up in the shower, no amount of water pressure let me get to the scalp, the hair formed a helmet I couldn't get through. I only need more water pressure now for the final rinse. I use a hand held shower head mostly for that. When I don't have access to one, a pitcher or small bucket works just fine, aim at spot of head you need to rinse and pour. That actually has more water pressure than a shower. You just have to have a container of clean water nearby to get more from as it usally takes several pitcher amounts to get the whole head rinsed.

DarkWanderer
July 12th, 2014, 07:21 PM
My hair is very thick and coarse. It can be annoying, it's a real pain to untangle long thick hair. But I am happy to have it, I love the look and feel of thick hair. Still trying to figure out some protective up-dos though, lol. My hair is so hard to do anything with

LongHairLesbian
July 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I think part of the reason everyone on LHC loves thick hair so much is that we are the type of people to want that extra volume, because we are hair care addicts and admirers, haha. Even the people on this thread with extremely thick hair wouldn't trade it, for all the problems it poses. I think this is different from how most of the rest of the world sees thick hair. Personally, even though my hair is medium thickness, it looks very soft and delicate, due to being fine textured, fairly light, and very straight. Most people (I swear I am not bragging) see this as an ideal type of hair to have. I told my co-worker today that a customer had a very enviable mane; BCL curly, thick, and naturally red. She replied with: "But your hair is long, straight, and blonde." As if to say, given what you have, why would you want anything else? That's her POV, anyway. My POV is that I WANT a big mane, I want something substantial, that has volume and character, because I love haircare and heatless styling. And now that I'm older, I want something that isn't so darn unassuming, because I no longer am, and no longer want to be.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/Chelsey_V_Worth/superprettypic_zpsdbf9c550.jpg

This is when I feel prettiest: bigger, wavier, fuller hair. I'd like more than what's shown in the picture, but that's rarely possible. I hardly ever wear my natural texture down anymore, except when it is air drying. I know I should be grateful, and for the most part I am. But as MINAKO and Chen were talking about earlier in this thread, we tend to be hardest on ourselves, and we frequently want what we don't have.

Timea
July 13th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Yeah, the grass is always greener. and I probably wouldn't trade my hair for someone else's if only because I'm used to mine. My girlfriend also has long hair and I think the thickness is just slightly different than mine and also the texture is different, her hair is a little more slippery than mine, and I tried to braid it up and it was difficult because her hair moved differently than mine does! So if I had someone else's hair I wouldn't know how to deal with it, even a simple dutch braid would take time to relearn how to do and while I was learning it would be there long and unmanageable! She has great hair, it's just different than mine. And everyone's texture is slightly differently. I could probably tell my exes apart blindfolded just by touching the back of their heads. So it's pretty much guaranteed that if I had someone else's hair I would have a different texture too. My texture isn't better or worse than anyone else's, I'm just accustomed to it and know how to work it.

But I used to shave the under half of my head, from ear to ear downwards, because it was too thick. and I still had more hair than normal people even back then, so in a way I did try to get rid of the thickness for a while.

Once I did my hair up in silly twists (take a small strand. twist it up. bend it in half, and let it twist itself up naturally. it'll stay by itself.) and left it for a day. i think it was wet when i started. waited till it dried. My hair was gigantic when I took them down. It was BSL at the time and it was really gravity defying. This was back in 2006, with the bottom half of my head shaved (not that you can tell):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11786&d=1405240619
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11787&d=1405240624

(It would have been less frizzy, but I left it in for a while and then I did a lot of detangling and brushing. If I'd taken them down sooner they would have been curly instead. But anyway, the amount of volume I got was ridiculous, it was like having twice as much hair as normal. You could try it maybe!)

RingletedManiac
July 18th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Sorry for my inactivity lately, I was busy with, well, life.
You all have beautiful hair, it's amazing to know that you all are so hard on yourselves. We should be happy with ourselves, but that's obviously hard to do. We're always constantly longing for more, or something different.
I wouldn't say I exactly like my hair, but I do enjoy having thick hair. I do experience some pain with it, but I always wear it braided (I'm boring), so I guess it could be worse. I never wear it down really.
Wet braids hurt. A lot.

chen bao jun
July 18th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I agree with the bolded--IRL people are not so impressed with superthick hair as they are on here. Actually, being on this boards has really helped me to appreciate my hair more as in real life I have quite often heard that its too much, out of control, etc. etc.

QUOTE=LongHairLesbian;2764565]I think part of the reason everyone on LHC loves thick hair so much is that we are the type of people to want that extra volume, because we are hair care addicts and admirers, haha. Even the people on this thread with extremely thick hair wouldn't trade it, for all the problems it poses. I think this is different from how most of the rest of the world sees thick hair. Personally, even though my hair is medium thickness, it looks very soft and delicate, due to being fine textured, fairly light, and very straight. Most people (I swear I am not bragging) see this as an ideal type of hair to have. I told my co-worker today that a customer had a very enviable mane; BCL curly, thick, and naturally red. She replied with: "But your hair is long, straight, and blonde." As if to say, given what you have, why would you want anything else? That's her POV, anyway. My POV is that I WANT a big mane, I want something substantial, that has volume and character, because I love haircare and heatless styling. And now that I'm older, I want something that isn't so darn unassuming, because I no longer am, and no longer want to be.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/Chelsey_V_Worth/superprettypic_zpsdbf9c550.jpg

This is when I feel prettiest: bigger, wavier, fuller hair. I'd like more than what's shown in the picture, but that's rarely possible. I hardly ever wear my natural texture down anymore, except when it is air drying. I know I should be grateful, and for the most part I am. But as MINAKO and Chen were talking about earlier in this thread, we tend to be hardest on ourselves, and we frequently want what we don't have.[/QUOTE]

chen bao jun
July 18th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I agree with the bolded--IRL people are not so impressed with superthick hair as they are on here. Actually, being on this boards has really helped me to appreciate my hair more as in real life I have quite often heard that its too much, out of control, etc. etc.

QUOTE=LongHairLesbian;2764565]I think part of the reason everyone on LHC loves thick hair so much is that we are the type of people to want that extra volume, because we are hair care addicts and admirers, haha. Even the people on this thread with extremely thick hair wouldn't trade it, for all the problems it poses. I think this is different from how most of the rest of the world sees thick hair. Personally, even though my hair is medium thickness, it looks very soft and delicate, due to being fine textured, fairly light, and very straight. Most people (I swear I am not bragging) see this as an ideal type of hair to have. I told my co-worker today that a customer had a very enviable mane; BCL curly, thick, and naturally red. She replied with: "But your hair is long, straight, and blonde." As if to say, given what you have, why would you want anything else? That's her POV, anyway. My POV is that I WANT a big mane, I want something substantial, that has volume and character, because I love haircare and heatless styling. And now that I'm older, I want something that isn't so darn unassuming, because I no longer am, and no longer want to be.

This is when I feel prettiest: bigger, wavier, fuller hair. I'd like more than what's shown in the picture, but that's rarely possible. I hardly ever wear my natural texture down anymore, except when it is air drying. I know I should be grateful, and for the most part I am. But as MINAKO and Chen were talking about earlier in this thread, we tend to be hardest on ourselves, and we frequently want what we don't have.[/QUOTE]

Stray_mind
July 21st, 2014, 01:56 AM

I wash Navy style as well, because we have a boiler in our flat and i have to be careful not to run out of warm water. I like to wash my hair with half-cold water when i'm only washing my head, but when i am washing my whole body-wouldn't want for ice cold water to start running. :D

Shibe
July 21st, 2014, 04:35 AM

Are you thinking of Venefica?

I've seen her do multiple buns, and man are they impressive!

PerkyCurlz
July 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
Even though:
~ my hair is heavy (and getting heavier the longer it gets),
~ which can cause headaches if I don't get my buns situated "just right",
~ I have to use more "product" on my hair to control all my curls,
~ my hair takes up to 12 hours to dry,
~ my hair destroys most commercial hair toys,
~ most hair toys on Etsy are too short for me, and
~ I wasn't able to do many buns until now (hip length) that many others could do at shorter lengths,
I still love my thick hair. :inlove:

Why?
~ I have awesome thick braids,
~ I can make hairstyles that require many braids ... and they look great,
~ I have this fabulous - healthy - blunt hemline,
~ my head never gets cold in the winter, and
~ I have BIG buns!

My ONLY complaint is hair toy makers who make beautiful sticks/forks that are too short for me and will not/cannot make plain hair sticks longer than 6" or sticks/forks with longer than 4-4.5" fpl. Luckily, I have found some awesome sellers on Etsy who are willing to take my money and make things for me that work in my hair.

NuclearApple
July 21st, 2014, 10:38 AM

You are definately talking about Venefica! Her hair is simply gorgeous and she can do some amazing buns! She also has a youtube channel here she explains to do some buns from what I remember :)

amanda_the_tall
July 21st, 2014, 10:46 AM
I love thick hair. It always looks so luscious and fluffy haha. You can do so many braids and styles because you actually have enough hair to do it with. The other day I pointed out a girl with a lovely braid that was as big as my forearm to my boyfriend and he was like 'oh no that's too much you could hurt someone if you twisted too fast". However I thought it was amazing as my own braid is the size of my thumb. I've always wanted thick hair. It hides bald spots and people don't make you feel bad about it like they do thin hair.