PDA

View Full Version : What is my natural hair colour? (found an old photo!)

rohirrrims
May 13th, 2014, 05:38 AM
I haven't see my natural hair colour (except from up to an inch of roots) since I was 15, and all I remember was that people described it as "light brown". Now after hanging around these forums I've realised that a description like that tells me pretty much nothing! :P

I'm interested in finding out what knowledgeable people here would call it, what level, tone etc because I am currently switching from red box dye to henna and having trouble working out how henna will look on my natural hair.

So I found a photo of me in school which is probably as accurate as it is going to get!

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s448/rohirLHC/4428d2fc-3684-4bae-b23b-6e891f00a0b9_zpsdfe14c9a.jpg?t=1399980267

I'm shocked because it looks rather dark and ashy to me, but it is a lot lighter than my parent's and sister's "dark brown" hair.

If it helps to know my colouring: I'm Scottish with part Irish and Italian, with hazel eyes, skin that is so white it reflects the sun back instead of tanning and lots of brown freckles. I also used to get massive blonde chunky sun streaks in my hair in the summer which was odd because I'm so far from blonde!

It would really help me to hear your thoughts. Thank you for your help!:)

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 05:46 AM
It looks like it may just be a chestnut color or maybe an ashy brown.

Ingrid
May 13th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Maybe it's chestnut brown?

lapushka
May 13th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I'd go with chestnut brown as well. :)

BonnieU
May 13th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Before I looked at the replies, I too said chestnut brown :)

BonnieU
May 13th, 2014, 06:44 AM
http://www.haircolorcode.com/hair-color-shades

This is a good website for level/tone...possibly you are a level 4 warm?

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2014, 09:55 AM
You don't look ashy at all to me. I'd say a warm chestnut brown.

Barnet Girl
May 13th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Alot of people's hair gets darker as they get older. I would say that henna is going to be burgundy on your hair, depending as well on what henna you use.

Springlets
May 14th, 2014, 01:36 AM
I would say level 5/6 golden brown. (http://www.lorealparis.com.au/img/l10n/products/305x262/excellence-5.3-golden-brown.jpg)

rohirrrims
May 14th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Thank you for all the replies!

Chestnut brown sounds like a nice colour! I think I'm just shocked because it looks so ashy to me, but I think that's because I'm comparing it to the red I've been dying for 8 years, so anything will seem cold in comparison to that. My roots growing in appear to be at such a sharp contrast it's warped what I'd think of as warm toned. Also being a horsey person, chestnut is the term for a horse with a red coat similar to my current hair colour, so I'm now googling chestnut brown hair to get used to that!

It could definitely have darkened since then though, you're right, Barnet Girl. When I was younger than that photo it was mostly blonde chunky streaks and then it darkened, but still no where near as dark as my family's hair. Judging by what little I see of my roots when I let them grow in then it isn't too dark, it still looks a similar level but it is so hard to tell!

I was hoping to be somewhere near a level 6 and warm toned, so I'm really glad you've all put me somewhere along those lines! It still seems to be so dark and greyish to me, but I'm sure now that's just me thinking in contrast with the red hair.

Thank you again for giving me a really helpful outside opinion on this :)

Colourful
May 14th, 2014, 06:52 AM
I would also say chestnut brown.

cat11
May 14th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I agree that your hair is definately a warm brown! No ash.

Anje
May 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Very pretty brown, looks warm to me.

Chestnut brown sounds like a nice colour! I think I'm just shocked because it looks so ashy to me, but I think that's because I'm comparing it to the red I've been dying for 8 years, so anything will seem cold in comparison to that. My roots growing in appear to be at such a sharp contrast it's warped what I'd think of as warm toned. Also being a horsey person, chestnut is the term for a horse with a red coat similar to my current hair colour, so I'm now googling chestnut brown hair to get used to that!

Heck, I've got auburn hair naturally and it looks ashy-green next to henna (at least in some lights, like the school bathroom). It's fair that red dye will throw your assessment off. Also, I'm the same as you -- had to look up what "chestnut" was on a human, since it's apparently closer to a liver chestnut than a regular chestnut horse. :)