PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with breakage

caromarpie
May 12th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I am so mad at myself. I did something wrong but I don't know what. My hair was going better I am past hip now going on TB ​but now split ends and breakage seems to appears at the levels of my ears. I think it maybe how I put my hair up but I am not sure and I don't want to cut. My routine if it help you to help me. He washing on 6 to 7 days condtioner after ( cone in both my hair like them tgat I am sure) coconut oil treatment the night before. Sleep with hair in a sleep bonnet from goody or in a braid attach with scrunchie. I put my hair up at work with a lazybun or discbun or cinnamun bun. With hairstick. ( I redo them often maybe that is bot that good) Please I need advice :(

MungoMania
May 13th, 2014, 12:19 AM
It sounds to me like you're doing everything right. I don't see why your hair should be breaking based on your routine, so I'd recommend some vitamin supplements like collagen. This helped me with shedding and breaking. Maybe it will help you too.

tigereye
May 13th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Have a look at where the breakage is at - if you pull it back is it where your bun usually is? Is it on the side you sleep on?
Have you clarified recently? Build-up of cones can cause dryness and breakage if you don't clarify occasionally. That would be where I start. I'd also look at the hair around the area of damage - is it different in any way? If it's, say 4 inches down, was there anything you changed in your diet 8 months ago?
i know my hair wouldn't stay in a bonnet when I sleep. When you wear a braid at night, do you sleep on a satin pillowcase? - if you don't and the damage is mostly on the side you sleep on, that could be to blame.

Supplements would be the absolute last thing I would look at, and would not take anything until the doc did some bloods to see if I needed them. Vitamins are useless for people who aren't deficient and taking too much of any of them can play hell with your liver and (especially for the water-soluble ones) kidneys.

lapushka
May 13th, 2014, 08:06 AM
I'd also look at the hair around the area of damage - is it different in any way? If it's, say 4 inches down, was there anything you changed in your diet 8 months ago?

8 months is not enough to go back. This damage is on the level of hip-TBL, so it's something she's done *ages* ago.

prettyinpink
May 13th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I was in the same situation. Have you ever heard of damp bunning? Its when you wet your hair and put it up in a bun or braid it over night. It really help me with breakage. I find its more effective with some conditioner and oil in it as well. Good luck (:

Symphony
May 13th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I'd look at what products you are using. Are you pulling/twisting your updos too tightly?

Bagginslover
May 13th, 2014, 10:16 AM
8 months is not enough to go back. This damage is on the level of hip-TBL, so it's something she's done *ages* ago.

but now split ends and breakage seems to appears at the levels of my ears.

Nope, 8 months seems about right ;)

Seconding looking at how you are putting it up, ear level when pulled back is pony/bunbase level on me. Look at your hair toys, are any of them rough, or have seams? Are you using elastics a lot?

lapushka
May 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Nope, 8 months seems about right ;)

Seconding looking at how you are putting it up, ear level when pulled back is pony/bunbase level on me. Look at your hair toys, are any of them rough, or have seams? Are you using elastics a lot?

Here I was thinking the damage was only on the very ends.

caromarpie
May 13th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I think it maybe cause by updo to tight . My stick are in good shape and I dont use hair elastic to much. I dont know how to clarify. I wish I could have a satin pillow case but not for now.

tigereye
May 13th, 2014, 11:56 AM

She said the damage was appearing around her ears.
Edit: Never mind. Should have looked before I posted :p

Anje
May 13th, 2014, 12:22 PM
When you bun your hair, do you start by tying it in a ponytail?

Do you bun tightly (e.g. you occasionally break quality hairsticks)?

caromarpie
May 13th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I rarely do ponytail before I bun and I never brake a hairstick . Maybe because I always redo my bun many times and always do almost the same bun there maybe it's why. I need to learn more bun and to put my hair up.

Spindle
May 14th, 2014, 01:13 AM
I had this exact same problem of breakage around the ears 6 months ago. I have TBL hair. I finally figured out that it was my daily cinnamon buns doing the damage as the constant twist was weakening the hairs around that area. Now, after using different updo's every day, and very rarely using the cinnamon bun, the damage has grown down and is no longer so noticeable :) (and there is no new damage!)

Rosa Harris
May 14th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Prob the bunning but I wonder...

Have you had a serious illness or bad stress around 8 months ago? I have some hair breakage from about 6 months ago when I had a serious life threatening infection - I was septic - loaded down with 6 IV antibiotics at once - dangerous in itself and it caused a ridge in my hair shaft at the time of the event - and my nails - that later caused me to lose quite a bit of my thickness. It took tine for the breaking to happen enough that I noticed - actually I went and looked about the time the ridges in my nails reached the tips and started flaking and splitting like crazy and found I had ridges on the hairshafts too whne i put in under my microscope.

MinderMutsig
May 14th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Have you always braided at night or is that something you started doing in the last year?
That was a HUGE source of damage for me around ear level/my nape and unfortunately it took me quite a while to figure that out. I have a lot of taper because of this but at least the damage is traveling down now that I stopped braids all together.

They aren't protective for everyone. Especially with very fine hair they can be a big source of damage no matter how loose or tight you braid.

Marika
May 14th, 2014, 04:22 AM
I have this same problem. Breakage in "weird" places. I started noticing it when I had been wearing my hair in a top bun at nights for a few weeks. I stopped doing that and now I'm waiting for my sleep cap. I wear the same bun almost everyday also but I've done that for 10 years without any noticeable breakage. My reasons could be possibly hormonal because I have a 6 month old baby. My hair was a sweaty mess after giving birth and I wasn't very gentle detangling it so I think I got some mechanical damage then too. And I was wearing a ponytail a lot.

I've also thought about a possible protein overload but I don't know... I feel like something has made my hair weaker than normal and it can't take anything anymore without breaking (not the ends but ear and shoulder level). It's frustrating but I hope we both find a solution! :flower: Luckily, my hair seems to be growing just fine but it's a lot thinner shoulder level down because of the breakage.

Rosa Harris
May 14th, 2014, 04:52 AM
I have this same problem. Breakage in "weird" places. I started noticing it when I had been wearing my hair in a top bun at nights for a few weeks. I stopped doing that and now I'm waiting for my sleep cap. I wear the same bun almost everyday also but I've done that for 10 years without any noticeable breakage. My reasons could be possibly hormonal because I have a 6 month old baby. My hair was a sweaty mess after giving birth and I wasn't very gentle detangling it so I think I got some mechanical damage then too. And I was wearing a ponytail a lot.

I've also thought about a possible protein overload but I don't know... I feel like something has made my hair weaker than normal and it can't take anything anymore without breaking (not the ends but ear and shoulder level). It's frustrating but I hope we both find a solution! :flower: Luckily, my hair seems to be growing just fine but it's a lot thinner shoulder level down because of the breakage.
The birth itself is quite a shock to the body on a physical level, hormonal level and then just the stress levels themselves that could effect the actual growth at the time of the birth like happened with my hair and nails with illness - perhaps?