PDA

View Full Version : Just one example of how life isn't fair

LongHairLesbian
May 11th, 2014, 09:36 PM
I was browsing youtube, and happened to find this video. The girl in the video is describing her hair care routine, one that will give you healthy, soft hair. I was like, okay. And then I got to the part where she says that she washes her hair with shampoo every day, and doesn't use conditioner every time. She actually says that she sometimes only uses conditioner once a week, or once every 7 washes! On top of colouring and heat styling her hair. She does say that she uses a hair serum and a heat protectant, but christ almighty, her hair is taking a lot of damage. I can't even imagine how dry and tangled my hair would be if I used shampoo and heat on my hair every day, especially without pre-poo oiling and conditioner. Yet this girl's hair looks beautiful, healthy, and is very long, even by LHC standards; having lovely hair clearly comes extremely easy to her. Alas, life isn't fair sometimes. Do any of you know someone who seems to have beautiful hair no matter what they do to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQbEIchfZT4

divinedobbie
May 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Her colour is exactly the colour I would want if I decided to henna.

I know a girl who has gorgeous TBL hair that washes, straightens and wears it down every day. Her only virtue is no colouring I guess. It looks healthy but she uses a lot of coney leave ins plus straightening so that might be hiding some of the visible damage.

elsieivy
May 11th, 2014, 09:57 PM
In Hawaii I regularly see people with beautiful tailbone length plus hair that's been bleached and is being worn down on hot windy days. Sadly I don't have the same hair type as them.

Dessi
May 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Oh yes, I know that feeling. People who don't do ANYTHING good for their hair (never use conditioner, oils for example) and use heat/dyes often have beautiful and long hair. I can't really figure it out.

meteor
May 11th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Judging somebody's hair by how it looks when it's heat-styled and covered with silicones is a bit like judging somebody's complexion by what skin looks like under heavy make-up.
Human hair is extremely resilient (especially coarse hair), but in the long run, damage does catch up as it's cumulative. Damage is almost never visible at first, unless you are using a microscope. But if one continues damaging practices, at extreme lengths (say, knee or ankle), I'd expect it to become visible, i.e. split ends or even straight up breakage.

jacqueline101
May 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Oh yes, I know that feeling. People who don't do ANYTHING good for their hair (never use conditioner, oils for example) and use heat/dyes often have beautiful and long hair. I can't really figure it out.

I've seen this too. I guess I don't have their hair type. I don't get it either how they can abuse their hair and have it look so great.

Dessi
May 11th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Actually she has an updated version of her routine. Atleast she started washing her hair every other day.. Lots of products and none of them are natural ;/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vjx1Veuq7E
Oh, that girl annoys me.

Seeshami
May 11th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Sometimes life gives you lemons and you make lemonade and sometimes you have to throw the lemons back at life and DEMAND the oranges you asked for.

You can't judge hair unless you touch it for yourself. I am sure a lot of people would be shocked at just how bad the naughty mess is

spidermom
May 11th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I have no loyalty to natural products. Women used to walk around with oily and dull hair that they couldn't do anything with except pin or braid it up. "Better living through chemistry" say I!

neko_kawaii
May 11th, 2014, 10:31 PM
My grandmother said that the best hair in her county was on the heads of two girls who washed it with lye soap. YMMV.

HazelBug
May 11th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I can get away with more than I think I should be able to. I grew my hair to tbl while dying it all about every 6 weeks since my roots grow in fast. I hardly ever needed to trim, had blunt ends and also hardly ever had splits.

I've bleached my hair twice to remove black dye and then dyed it 2 or 3 times after that to try to get a better color to blend into my roots. My hair is pretty soft with my lhc routine and I don't get splits. Granted, I'm just a couple inches above apl right now. But I think my hair will hold up because it did the last time it grew out.

Not many people with somewhat fine hair like me can get away with what I've done to my hair.

MadeiraD
May 11th, 2014, 10:48 PM
She's Asian, Asian hair is a good bit stronger than other types.
http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/17/5-ways-that-asian-hair-is-different-from-caucasian-hair/

LongHairLesbian
May 11th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Divine Dobbie and Meteor make good points about how silicones and straightening can hide damage that isn't readily visible. But come on, a quarter sized amount of coney leave in is enough to detangle and soften her wet, BCL hair? All the serum and straightening in the world wouldn't be able to hide the splits and jagged, thin hemline I would get from trying to fight through my tangles with what she uses. Lots of people gain length easily, but if they aren't reasonably careful, the length they gain will dry out, split, and tangle a lot. Their length usually ends up looking so bad around BSL-MBL (or sooner) that they wind up cutting it off, or having hair that looks jagged and damaged. This girl's hair looks full and thick all the way down to her hips and past the camera, despite her doing nothing (aside from her weekly/biweekly conditioning) to look after her ends. Some people just have hair that untangles super easily and doesn't dry out, just like some people do nothing other than splash water on their face from time to time and yet have clear, perfect skin. Such is life, so incredibly unfair sometimes; coming from the girl who has constant acne and tangly hair. :P

Seeshami: Even if her hair isn't soft, it's still extremely long and full at the bottom, despite her minimalist hair care. I don't think that's something anyone I know would be able to accomplish; I definitely wouldn't be able to.
Funny how some people assume that if your hair looks good every time they see you, it must be effortless. I have a friend who refuses to believe that my hair tangles, because my hair is straight and it isn't knotted when I'm around her. It couldn't possibly be my use of daily moisturizing and protective styles, nooooo, I must have woke up like this ;)

Seeshami
May 12th, 2014, 12:04 AM
By feel I mean when you find my test strand of hair that is velcro zigzag mess. My hair looks fine, I can fling it around people say it looks great but my splits and zigzags are there, most people would trim it off hard to see but easy to find when you feel it. My hair is just as long and just as thick and damaged.

Looks are not everything.

Johannah
May 12th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Judging somebody's hair by how it looks when it's heat-styled and covered with silicones is a bit like judging somebody's complexion by what skin looks like under heavy make-up.
Human hair is extremely resilient (especially coarse hair), but in the long run, damage does catch up as it's cumulative. Damage is almost never visible at first, unless you are using a microscope. But if one continues damaging practices, at extreme lengths (say, knee or ankle), I'd expect it to become visible, i.e. split ends or even straight up breakage.

This was the first thing I thought as well.

+ there's such a thing as genetics. If I would dye my hair, or even use heat styling a couple of times, my hair would be damaged as hell. Some people are just lucky their hair can handle a lot more than others.

maybeinthemtns
May 12th, 2014, 01:22 AM
If it's been flatironed or has products in it, hair can look very shiny and healthy regardless of its actual condition. My hair always looked great after I straightened it - even though it's actually been quite damaged - by the straightening. It's ironic that a lot of what we do to our hair to make it look pretty makes it unhealthy - and the easiest solution is to keep doing it, to hide the damage. I'm not saying that her hair is that way, because I can't tell from a youtube video, but my point is: us girls are sneaky, lol. You can never tell what is real and what is chemical magic. Some people just have tougher hair, too.

Whatever she is doing to it, her hair is really lovely, though, wow!

Rosa Harris
May 12th, 2014, 01:45 AM
My grandmother said that the best hair in her county was on the heads of two girls who washed it with lye soap. YMMV.
Lot of misconception about lye soap - the lye reacts with the fats in the soap making prcocess and turns into glycerin. There really is no lye left in real homemade lye soap. Its not surprising they had the best hair.

Marika
May 12th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Her hair looks great! And yes, Asian hair can usually take a lot abuse (I've lived with two Chinese and one Korean girl). My hair is very fine and with all the extreme cruelties I've done to it, it amazes me I still have hair left! BTW, Redken Extreme products saved my hair back in the day.

Selkie-
May 12th, 2014, 04:37 AM
She has lovely hair. She does mention that she doesn't heat style with every wash and only uses the cool setting on the blow-drier...

florenonite
May 12th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Lot of misconception about lye soap - the lye reacts with the fats in the soap making prcocess and turns into glycerin. There really is no lye left in real homemade lye soap. Its not surprising they had the best hair.

Yup. The shampoo bars that many members here find success with are made with lye; that's what makes them soap.

momschicklets
May 12th, 2014, 05:53 AM
She's Asian, Asian hair is a good bit stronger than other types.
http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/17/5-ways-that-asian-hair-is-different-from-caucasian-hair/

That is so interesting! I've always wondered why Asian hair looks so incredibly glossy....lucky lucky lucky.

MINAKO
May 12th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Hell yes, cuticles of steel. Of course it's not like every asian does have strong hair like this, but it's not that uncommon.
My hair can atke alot of sh*t too, but then again i am sooo critical. Knowing about haircare, sometimes we do care and do stress too much.
I don't see her actively causing alot of damage tho. i mean, it's not THAT bleached and i know of caucasian people who also only use shampoo and not much else while they maintain healthy, waist length hair. Looking at a youtuber while they heatstyle on camre is probably the only time they ever do it, i don't believe those people look like that 24/7 either. Don't forget that some people live off making those videos, so of course it's a bit of show.

jacqueline101
May 12th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I don't use natural products either. I don't see the hype on over priced products.

MINAKO
May 12th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I'm kind of doing half/half, but i wouldn't have been able to achive the hair i currently have with natural stuff alone.

Lindenare
May 12th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I'm not too surprised, though that might be influenced by my own hair. I rarely condition (have only done so once this year), always wash with a clarifying shampoo, and have worn my hair down or in a ponytail for much of the last few years. My hair is an inch and a half from TBL with no taper until my layers come in for the last few inches and, as far as I can tell, is quite healthy. On the other hand, I've never dyed or straightened my hair, and I blowdry barely more often than I condition.

Of course, as others have mentioned, it's difficult to tell the state of someone's hair without touching it. Still, her hair is lovely and looks fairly healthy, which I think is quite plausible.

Vanilla
May 12th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I had a chinese american friend with tailbone length and super thick hair that never needed to use conditioner. He hair didn't ever tangle, even after shampooing twice, and she almost always wore it down.