PDA

View Full Version : Who else hates ends sticking out of their buns?

eadwine
May 11th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I just had to start this one. I am positively anal with my updos as I cannot have ends sticking out of my bun. I will try to spray the dang bugger down if I can and will redo it if I cannot manage. Usually this new bun ends up being less nice than the first one -with- pokey, so it is always a fight for me what to do.

Imagine my brain doing this when deciding: :slap:

Anyone else with this pokey issue? :lol:

embee
May 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I certainly have been *there*! When I trimmed my hair "blunt" every updo had ends that stuck out like a paintbrush. It was *awful* and the only thing I could do was a plain braid hanging down my back.

Fairytale ends are my friend! :)

Wosie
May 11th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Oh, haha, I understand you! ...But I'm not the same, luckily. Virtually all my buns have ends flipping out in all sorts of directions, and I don't want to use bobbypins to tuck them away (I don't like bobbypins, I can't seem to get them out gently enough). I started doing buns recently (first successful bun was created April 3rd), so I'm still learning. :o In many other ways I'm a perfectionist, though!

walterSCAN
May 11th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Heh, I like the pokey ends!

ooglipoo
May 11th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I cannot stand them, if it is a bun where they're not supposed to be there! It's the singular reason I have fairy tale ends, so they taper nicely and I can easily slip them under my bun.

If I'm making a messy quick bun, I don't fret so much, but I rarely make them...

Marika
May 11th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Heh, I like the pokey ends!

Me too! :D I'm not even trying to tuck them in most of the time. But I do understand what you're talking about, eadwine. My ends stick out now because I'm at awkward length but I think this is usually maybe more of a thick & blunt hair problem..?

Ruzovy
May 11th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Oh my god YES I can't stand it! I immediately redo it it drives me nuts!!!

eadwine
May 11th, 2014, 09:16 AM
SOOO glad to read I am not the only one. Sometimes I don't mind, but it does depend on the direction, length and such..

I mean.. a cinnamon bun with a pokey end pointing up from between my head and the bun, fine.. I make a little fan out of that and it looks fun.

Take the same bun with the pokey right out the middle.. ehhhh not so much! :lol:

woodswanderer
May 11th, 2014, 09:18 AM
My ends are very blunt, so I have to plan a tail or a fan. I get jealous sometimes of everyone with beautifully tucked ends, but I don't want to layer.

ashke50
May 11th, 2014, 09:40 AM
If I don't have time/energy to redo the bun I usually try to push the sticking out bit back into the bun with a bobby pin - which usually ends up with half a dozen bobby pins stuck into the side of the bun, and the hair escaping all of them and waving happily as it was after about half an hour!

eadwine
May 11th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Yup.. that is me too, with Amish pins in my case :lol:

patienceneeded
May 11th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Nah...if I wasn't ok with random bits poking out, I'd never be able to get my hair in a bun! My hair is blunt cut, very thick, and generally obnoxious. I learned a long time ago that I (and my hair) would be much happier if I just left well-enough alone. I put it up and let it be.

I am envious of all the sleek, non-pokey, buns that so many of you can accomplish. That's very rare for me...

soothsayer
May 11th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Thick hair + not having enough length means I am doomed to pokey ends. That's one reason why I prefer braids, twists, and non-round-bun up-dos.

FallingDarkness
May 11th, 2014, 11:06 AM
They drive me BONKERS. I have this gorgeous claw clip that surprisingly fits (or at least used to) fit ALL my hair into it. But now that my hair is just sliiiiiiiigggggghhhhhtly longer than it was a month ago, my ends are declaring war against me and will escape the claw whenever they can! And I try to force them back in there, but they just escape again! I CAN'T WIN!!!
Making actual buns is even worse, because my ends are still pretty thick and do not enjoy going underneath the bun in the slightest. So they'll escape as well, and eventually the entire bun will fall apart as more and more of my ends slip out. >:(

Rosa Harris
May 11th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Used to be anal. The fluff won the battle. I gave up. A messy lump is the norm now for me. I'd like nice neat shinny technical elaborate buns but The Fluff is like 'nope, forget it, no way.'

hennalonghair
May 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM
My ends are very blunt, so I have to plan a tail or a fan. I get jealous sometimes of everyone with beautifully tucked ends, but I don't want to layer.

My hair is very similar to yours. I think people with thicker hair that's wavy and somewhat coarse have a harder time of accepting fairy tale ends. People with fine or medium straight hair find it much easier to grow their hair without needing to trim as often as the wavy/ curly people. I also have very blunt ends and I have to tuck my ends in otherwise my entire do looks stupid. Like yourself there are times when I wish I had some of those wispy ends to fan out or just not worry about. On myself I do not like fairy tale ends because it looks very raggedy and unhealthy but on others it looks great.
For half ups I can get away with leaving the tails out as long as its not too much otherwise it ends up looking bulky.
Sometimes I even put a huge satan scrunchy over my bun just to make sure no ends are showing.
I also really dislike using bobby pins and will mess around with it until they are tucked.

spidermom
May 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I have layered hair, so ends poking out is the only way to go. Luckily, I don't mind. I'm not an "every hair in place" kinda woman.

woodswanderer
May 11th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Hennalonghair, I see your point, but it probably isn't that much my hair type as it is my preferences. I don't prefer the look of fairy tale ends, and even though I would like easier buns, I wear my hair down more than up, so it makes sense for me to keep a blunt cut that makes my hair look the way I prefer for the style I most frequently choose to wear. I just can't have my cake and eat it too I guess. :cool:

hennalonghair
May 11th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Hennalonghair, I see your point, but it probably isn't that much my hair type as it is my preferences. I don't prefer the look of fairy tale ends, and even though I would like easier buns, I wear my hair down more than up, so it makes sense for me to keep a blunt cut that makes my hair look the way I prefer for the style I most frequently choose to wear. I just can't have my cake and eat it too I guess. :cool:

I wear my hair down a lot too so prefer blunt ends.
Ok I guess I'm a bit on the anal side then. For me to do a braided bun I have to section my hair first then braid due to thickness. Each braid is thick all the way to the ends so if one of those braid tails pops out, it isn't that carefree wispy look that s amazing. Instead it looks like a braid just popped out.
Plus the ends get kind of heavy if they aren't tucked in.
Maybe when I have knee length hair I'll feel differently but I'm only half way there.
Yeah I'm anal about my ends. Lol!

elsieivy
May 11th, 2014, 09:54 PM
If the pokey bits are long enough I sometimes wrap a scrunchy loosely around the bun to hide and tuck them down. I'm not a pokey bit fan either.

Loviatar
May 12th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Definitely me, I hate them. I bought Amish pins for this very reason.

I wonder if I can get bronze coloured Amish pins? I'm not keen on the silver colour with my hair...

Johannah
May 12th, 2014, 01:09 AM
At the moment, my ends don't stick out (I have some sort of FTE with some sort of U-shaped hemline). But I want a blunt hemline, and if I read through the comments, you all scare me :whistle: haha. I'll be prepared for the future. :p

Bagginslover
May 12th, 2014, 02:09 AM
I had *just* gotten past the really pokey stage with my layers, then I decided long bags were a good idea (this was in december). Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, and I'd finally had enough of the step between the now hated bangs, and my length, so I cut in face framing layers to blend them. POKIES EVERYWHERE!!!! So yeah, totally with you!

eadwine
May 12th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Definitely me, I hate them. I bought Amish pins for this very reason.

I wonder if I can get bronze coloured Amish pins? I'm not keen on the silver colour with my hair...

How about getting a nice color nail polish and painting the very tip curve. You don't have to do the length as they disappear anyway :)

Loviatar
May 12th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Good call, Eadwine! Thanks :flower:

eadwine
May 12th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I've been meaning to do this myself but I keep forgetting :lol:

rags
May 12th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I HATE the pokey ends, and since the hairdresser from the nether reigns lopped four inches off, I have a very blunt cut, so they are a problem. Now, I have very fine, very thin hair - but when it's this blunt, it still doesn't want to tuck.

Worse, she cut me back to almost-wast, which means the ends are at an awkward length. I don't think I'll ever have a blunt cut again, even though it does look so much better when I wear my hair down. The fact s that I rarely do wear it down (it floats and grabs things and I end up putting it up after an hour or two), so for me FT ends are better.

For now I redo them when I can, or pin them, which they ESCAPE, and then I have pokeys AND pins to deal with. Yep, I loathe them.

ETA. The only good thing for me is that the silver Amish pins blend right in! :p. or else blond bobbies.

Kaelee
May 12th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Oh me! :laugh: totally. I can't stand anything sticking out...and with my hair, that's a challenge. I'm trying to be less anal about it.

Juli414
May 12th, 2014, 05:58 PM
MEMEMEMEMEME!!!!! My go-to for the past year or so has been a twist of sorts: Low pony, twist, then fold in half, hold vertically to my head, and twist with left hand, then fasten with a Flexi. But, it's getting longer, so I either have a floppy loop at the top or sticky-out bits at the base. I need a new go-to.

eadwine
May 18th, 2014, 05:31 AM
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/eadwine/Haarspul/bunnailed.jpg

At least they are not poking out of the center! :rolleyes:

For some reason these almost look like they were meant to be there, you know :lol:

quiltlady
May 18th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I also like my buns to be perfect. It is funny how if the first one isn't just right, it will turn out to have been the best one no matter how many time I redo. I try to remind my self of this and that messy buns are a style of their own. It doesn't always work. I will say that Amish pins are the best thing I have found to hold my buns.

Henna Girl
May 18th, 2014, 06:50 AM
At APL pokey ends are a must. So I learnt to like them! I mean, I have no choice. I'm gonna have them no matter how hard I try ;)

walterSCAN
May 18th, 2014, 09:12 AM
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/eadwine/Haarspul/bunnailed.jpg

At least they are not poking out of the center! :rolleyes:

For some reason these almost look like they were meant to be there, you know :lol:

I really like that one, actually, it does look on purpose! ;) That's what every bun I do looks like if I detangle my hair before I put it up.

MeowScat
May 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I hate pokey ends and it usually happens when I've made the most perfect bun. Then I undo it, the pokey ends go away and the bun is uneven and floppy. Can't win.

meteor
May 18th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I find pokey ends really cute. :) I just don't like having them exposed to the elements, since it's my oldest, most fragile hair.
As hair grows longer, your buns will get smoother, especially if you have fairy-tale ends.

HintOfMint
May 19th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Every so often, I'll get one pokey end sticking straight out of my bun like Alfalfa. It'll never look "artfully" disheveled. Nope. Just that one end that throws everything off.

rags
May 19th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Every so often, I'll get one pokey end sticking straight out of my bun like Alfalfa. It'll never look "artfully" disheveled. Nope. Just that one end that throws everything off.

This! Ths never happened until I got a blunt cut either. Now the stupid pokeys just will NOT tuck properly. And like others, its always when the rest of the bun looks good and when i redo it then the bun looks awful.

And sadly, pokeys don go away for me with length. I had them at TB when I had a blunt cut.

eadwine
May 19th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I just discovered a new bun (posted a pic in the bun topic), the hypno bun. Of course everyone here already knows it ;) but this one is also one with the ends poking out for me. Just in such a manner that it looks like it is MEANT to be so, and it is SO messy that I like it again hehe. FINALLY something I like with pokey ends.

ARG
May 19th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Can't stand my pokey ends, but I have accepted that its just the way its going to be for a while so I've learned to just ignore it (or not even check my bun if I'm not going out). On other people, though, it doesn't bother me at all, I hardly notice it

ExpectoPatronum
May 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM
I don't like them unless I'm going for the messy look. I tend to stick with braids for this reason.

Kat
May 19th, 2014, 05:22 PM
ME. I just canNOT do the "messy updo" thing. It might work for celebrities, but on me it would just look like I was a slob who can't even do her hair.

(although I did once do a bun after recently doing a cut--yep, those blunt ends I love so much!-- and the ends slipped out and fanned out all down one side, rather than just hanging there like they normally would. It looked deliberate and actually sort of cute... and I've never been able to duplicate it! I'd just thrown my hair up quickly to keep it out of the way, maybe for a shower or for doing chores.)

I also find that a bun that starts out tidy might not end up that way later-- my buns tend to sort of start to unwind themselves, so a part that was at, say, 6:00 is now somewhere between 9:00 and 12:00, and gravity's not working so well anymore...

I made my own hairpins out of wire coathangers-- and they're sort of bronze-y in color. But, I didn't do that great of a job on them, because I just got tired of going at them with a rasp to try to get the ends smooth/pointy. I'd need some sort of grinder or something.

MEMEMEMEMEME!!!!! My go-to for the past year or so has been a twist of sorts: Low pony, twist, then fold in half, hold vertically to my head, and twist with left hand, then fasten with a Flexi. But, it's getting longer, so I either have a floppy loop at the top or sticky-out bits at the base. I need a new go-to.

Yeah, my Heidi braids were my go-to-- they were good for working out, they looked nice for more dressy stuff, kept my hair up and out of my way but with the weight distributed across my head... then I cut my hair from knee to hip, and the ends don't tuck in the same way, and it's a crapshoot whether they'll stay in or start flopping out (case in point: yesterday, did the style and it was great, looked tidy and held all day. Today, tried it again, bits flailing out everywhere).

Mainesongbird
May 19th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I hate them! I have them often. I bobby pin those suckers down!