PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else experience Telogen Effluvium shedding? I was anorexic(?) for 2.5 months

Jolly-Good-Show
May 10th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Hi, Irish girl here, 22. First of all, this will probably be a long post.. Might want to grab yourself a cup of tea! :)

So can someone technically be anorexic if it was only for 2.5 months? I'm guessing so... but usually people struggle for months/years, so that's why I ask.
I don't deal with stress very well. From January to mid March of this year I ate as little as possible. Stress triggered it. I was feeling lost about where I was going with my life, typical 20-something-year-old problem I suppose! I have general insecurities about my looks, this time I was fixating on having a waist as small as possible. I just wanted to feel really small. I wanted to look better. I barely ate and weighed myself and took measurements several times a day. I also counted calories and logged everything into my phone. I had thinspo pictures on my phone/computer too.

It's weird, I sort of snapped out of it. I looked in the mirror one day, and started wondering if my face was getting too thin. I'm naturally baby faced, which I actually like (I used to DESPISE). This made me panic, I decided I didn't care about being tiny anymore. I went out to my local supermarket and bought 4 big packets of biscuits and a bag of donuts! I ate everything, as well as normal meals all within 2 days! I had such bad indigestion as you can imagine! I'm now a more healthy weight. BMI is now 21.

The very moment I started eating properly again, I started getting excess shedding ;_; particularly noticeable in the shower! I chopped my hair recently, to chin length.
The main reason being that I stupidly bleached my hair last August. I bleached it 3-4 times in one month!! What was I thinking?! Lol like what did I expect would happen?!! It's dry and tangly. It's so out of character for me to be impulsive like that too.. Anyway, what's done is done. I'll be slowly trimming that bleach out over the next 2 years.

I used to have lovely hair. Very thick shiny hair down to my waist. And I've RUINED it ;_; between the crash diet/anorexia and bleach, I destroyed my best feature.
Now according to doctor google, telogen effluvium is very reversible. Especially when the poor nutrition/trauma to the body was short lived. My hair still looks thick. But when I look closely at the top of my scalp, I swear it looks a bit less dense than normal.. Google says it may take a year before original hair density is restored..

I've been very diligent about protein intake. I drink plenty of milk everyday. I have meat everyday. I also Have 2-3 eggs a week. I recently started taking iron & vit C supplements too.
I would love to hear from anyone else who completely got over this type of shedding! I just feel so sad :(

Thanks for reading, sorry if there's errors (2am here haha)

Wing-Chun-Bec
May 10th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Hi Holly Good Show :)

I'd like you to look at Bobbys Healthy Shop.co.uk (they deliver to Ireland) for supplements. You need to read up on them, and make an educated (once you've read up) choice on your supplements. Zinc and transdermal magnesium I'd say plus a good multi for starters.... and apple cider vinegar, unpaterised :)

I will say I used to drink loads of cows milk... until I had food intolerance testing and was told to stop drinking that milk. Strangely, I started to feel better, changed to goats milk, then rice milk.

A balanced diet is what your body needs.

Maybe you could look at the Best Bet Diet, it's one I follow for multiple sclerosis.

Your hair will grow back, don't obsess :)

and....

Be well Jolly Good Show, life is short. :)

Wing-Chun-Bec
May 10th, 2014, 08:18 PM
This is the pdf for Best Bet. http://www.direct-ms.org/sites/default/files/Direct-MS_Cookbook%2012-Feb-2012.pdf you read it and think, blimey... how restrictive is that? but.... it's actually a brilliant, balanced healthy diet. Lots to read... :) and the reason I've posted about food is because of your statement about eggs and milk..... :)

restless
May 10th, 2014, 09:32 PM
OP, youve put your body through some stress this year and of course that can have its impact on your hair and its quality. However, you are very young and your eating issues didnt last for very long. Im sure you and your hair will be fine in no time. I honestly dont think you should start experimenting with supplements like suggested below unless you talk to your doctor first and have some blood work done. Supplements should not replace food and overdosing on them is a no go. Eat well, sleep well and take care of yourself from now on. That will show better on your hair than any supplements.
Hi Holly Good Show :)

I'd like you to look at Bobbys Healthy Shop.co.uk (they deliver to Ireland) for supplements. You need to read up on them, and make an educated (once you've read up) choice on your supplements. Zinc and transdermal magnesium I'd say plus a good multi for starters.... and apple cider vinegar, unpaterised :)

MariamPhilauri
May 11th, 2014, 12:49 AM
I'm having the same issue right now, I was very stressed for last 1.5-2 years and my hair is now thinner. Not very thin, 3.5 inches ponytail, but it feels thinner for me. I don't shed excessively, maybe under 100 strands a day, but it is more than normal for me.
The good news - it grows back.
Eat healthy, reduce stress and everything will be alright ^^
I'm trying to reduce stress which is quite hard for me I'm very stressful person :D
I believe that in few months both for us will have same thick hair as before ^_^

Flor
May 11th, 2014, 01:51 AM
You'll be ok, sweets! Shedding will decrease to normal rates once all your stress-induced-telogen hairs shed and start getting replaced by new growth. Don't worry about it, it'll all be good. I'm just so happy to hear that you're taking care of yourself! :)

CremeTron
May 11th, 2014, 02:39 AM
Good for you for stepping away from that lifestyle. I experienced eating disorders in my twenties and then again up to last summer and yes they do impact your hair quite a lot as staying alive and functioning is paramount! Your age is on your side, I think you will bounce back very quickly. I second whoever said not to take supplements yet but focus on your nutrition.

Your body is very efficient and initially it is best to keep things simple. My advice- along with the advice above- is to eat lots of protein in the form of fish and (if you can) organic poultry. Also eat your greens- cabbage, broccoli etc. Drink your water and try some deep breathing for 10 minutes a day.

My hair thinned out to almost nothing 4 years ago after my divorce which I further compounded by then starving myself to prove I was worth something. I also bleached my hair several times in this period and was wearing clip in extensions and flatironing. The last 4 inches of my hair show some of the effects but the rest is actually the best I have ever seen it. AND the 2 inches or so at my roots is very thick and luscious looking.

I broke a hair yesterday and the hair was caught in my engagement ring and I thought it looked like a monster (in a good way) as I had never seen such a thick strand on my head! I lurked on this board for a couple of months before joining and I can see very clearly on my head where the good hair practises have paid off, I can actually see shine and thickness on the newest 2 inches.

Of course initially your body will crave sugar like crazy and you may find yourself binging a lot. I have gained weight this way and actually am dreading facing my ex next week because of this but anyway if you start a food routine and let your body begin to trust you again and know it will get good, healthy food most of the time when it needs it the binging will stop and your weight will remain steady. And your hair will look lovely again!

Wing-Chun-Bec
May 11th, 2014, 03:35 AM
OP, youve put your body through some stress this year and of course that can have its impact on your hair and its quality. However, you are very young and your eating issues didnt last for very long. Im sure you and your hair will be fine in no time. I honestly dont think you should start experimenting with supplements like suggested below unless you talk to your doctor first and have some blood work done. Supplements should not replace food and overdosing on them is a no go. Eat well, sleep well and take care of yourself from now on. That will show better on your hair than any supplements.

Hi There, I'm not suggesting Jolly Good Show replaces her healthy balanced diet with food supplements. :)

Educating herself on them though is advisable and yes, you can OD on them... The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat is an excellent medical example of B6 OD.

A many pronged approach to overall health is the way to go... and we are in charge of our own journeys.

I wish you well on yours Jolly Good Show :)

CremeTron
May 11th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Hi Wing Chun, I hope you don't think I was criticising you. I know what you meant by the way. I was just trying to help her keep it simple, inexpensive and to start slow.

Of course we all have to do what we individually think is best for ourselves. No judgement here.

CremeTron
May 11th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Oh and just realised you quoted someone else's post so probably were not referring to me at all! But anyhow, just in case, I was not trying to negate your advice. It is very good advice :blossom:

pes3108
May 11th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I can't offer you any advice on the shedding, but congratulations for recovering :) I am currently in a struggle with anorexia and have been for the past year. My hair has gotten soo thin (compared to what it used to be) and that is the main reason that I want to recover. But as you know, recovery and getting over that negative mindset is so, so hard. :(

So congratulations to you and best wishes!!!

Lucky_Lucy
May 11th, 2014, 06:51 AM
OP, firstly, I'm glad to hear you recovered X It's good it didn't last for more than that, it could have really taken a toll on your health.

I know that to be diagnosed with bulimia, you have to have the symptoms for more than three months..I think it used to be the same with anorexia but not anymore(?). In the DSM-IV, if your menstrual cycle was regular and hadn't been disturbed, the illness wasn't classified as anorexia, but as EDNOS(eating disorder not otherwise specified). That changed in the DSM-V(the most recent version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).

I've dealt with EDNOS(anorexia??)-for an year(I've had bulimic/b-p tendencies for a month or so, and anorexic/restrictive tendencies before and after that), while also struggling with depression-all of them being comorbid with my BPD and a lot of stress I went through(mother's illness, school, generalised anxiety...).I've had a major shed during this time, my ponytail circumference went from 5.5 in to 3.5 in.

I've recovered now, both from depression and anorexia/ednos(the BPD doesn't really go away, but the symptoms are a bit more manageable). I'm taking multivitamins, and I find that has helped with my overall health/hair health. The advice everyone else has given is great. I suggest that you have a healthy diet(not binging on unhealthy stuff, but sticking to healthy stuff), and exercising.

pes3108 - Good luck with your recovery, I know it's really hard, but think about your goals, and how much you have to gain from recovering X You'll get there, it doesn't happen overnight, just take small steps in the direction of recovery X

Jolly-Good-Show
May 11th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies!!!! I've read through all of them! Thank you for all your advice, experiences and reassurance :) it really means a lot (getting a bit teary haha) I also hope you lovely ladies who mentioned you were struggling with similar shedding and eating issues get through it successfully!! I believe you absolutely can!!! This thread has made me feel a lot better xoxox