PDA

View Full Version : Pledge: Stick to what works and stop mucking around!

ravenreed
May 10th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I have a routine that works wonderfully for me. Every so often I get sucked into the hype about a new product or a new ingredient (I am looking at you, ceramides) and I end up paying a price. Either I end up with a ton of split ends, or flaky itchy scalp, or I just spend money I don't have on something that doesn't work as well as my cheapie routine. I have grown my hair to MID THIGH so clearly it is happy with what I have been doing. If I stick to this routine I have a minimal amount of split ends, my hair looks great 99% of the time, and it grows like a weed. So WHY DO I KEEP TRYING NEW THINGS?! :brickwall

I pledge to stop experimenting unless my hair and/or scalp tell me that I need to do something different, no matter how promising that other stuff may sound.

For the record, my routine is as follows: I CO every other day with Suave Wild Cherry. I follow with an herbal vinegar rinse, and follow that with a leave-in catnip rinse. Once every couple of weeks I clarify by using Wild Cherry shampoo from the ears down. (My scalp hates sulfates but my hair loves them. My scalp AND hair hate sulfate-free shampoos.) I oil pre-wash every couple of weeks with argan oil if I really need to.

I dye my hair every six weeks or so with Elumen dye. Pre-dye, I use shampoo with a 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda added to completely strip my hair of any lingering products. I set the dye with heat. I shampoo again the day after dyeing to remove any residual cones from the dye. That is it. My whole routine. The most expensive part is the dye, but totally worth it due to the lack of damage it causes my hair. The argan oil is pricey too, but I use so little of it that I mostly use it up on my nails and skin to use it up before it goes bad.

Anje
May 10th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Heh, I'm very similar. Gotta try the new thing that people are suddenly praising (oil-shampoo was particularly disastrous, a few years back) instead of staying with the things I know work for me. Even haircuts -- let's try cutting a fringe!

Back to the things that work, for me! At least for a while.... I'd not be true to my scientisty always-experimenting self if I pledged to stop entirely. XD

meteor
May 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I like that pledge a lot! Don't fix what's not broken.

The only time one should really look into changing the routine is if your hair or scalp don't like what you are doing and if you are doing something damaging.

On virgin hair, avoiding damage is all you need. On damaged hair, some patch-repair is recommended, but it's only temporary anyway.

As for experimenting with different products, we often do that to fight off hair boredom, which is hard to avoid completely. As long as it's not damaging to one's hair, scalp, lifestyle and wallet, I'm all for it! :D

jeanniet
May 10th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I'm terrible about playing around with products. I know what works, but I can't help thinking there must be something even more perfect out there, lol.

I'm glad to hear the Elumen is still working so well for you!

lapushka
May 10th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I learned my lesson a long time ago. So we stick to WCC + LOC method (see signature for links). It works and is amazing for my hair!

ExpectoPatronum
May 10th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I need to take this pledge. SLS and cones work great for my hair, but every time I read about how bad they are I get sucked into trying new things that are "better" for your hair.

I think I'll take this pledge for cones. SLS not so much because while my scalp likes it, my skin isn't too fond of it so I'm still looking for something to make everything happy there. I have no problem sticking with my cones though. They're the only thing that makes my coarse hair feel even remotely soft.

Nadine <3
May 10th, 2014, 04:25 PM
omg...yes, I belong in this thread...I ALWAYS trying out new things that I think should work, and then I walk around wondering why I hate my hair. Then I get frustrated with it so I go back to my simple routine and my hair is fabulous again. *hits head on desk*

ravenreed
May 10th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Oh, oil shampoo was instant split ends for me too. I tried several times thinking I could get it to work. It sounded great in theory, right?

Heh, I'm very similar. Gotta try the new thing that people are suddenly praising (oil-shampoo was particularly disastrous, a few years back) instead of staying with the things I know work for me. Even haircuts -- let's try cutting a fringe!

Back to the things that work, for me! At least for a while.... I'd not be true to my scientisty always-experimenting self if I pledged to stop entirely. XD

I agree. Sometimes my scalp or hair will let me know that something needs to be done differently for a while. Usually it's a season change, but getting longer and longer has had its challenges too in terms of dryness.

I like that pledge a lot! Don't fix what's not broken.

The only time one should really look into changing the routine is if your hair or scalp don't like what you are doing and if you are doing something damaging.

On virgin hair, avoiding damage is all you need. On damaged hair, some patch-repair is recommended, but it's only temporary anyway.

As for experimenting with different products, we often do that to fight off hair boredom, which is hard to avoid completely. As long as it's not damaging to one's hair, scalp, lifestyle and wallet, I'm all for it! :D

Oh yes, I love the Elumen soooo much. My hair hasn't ever been healthier, even with the monthly or so heat setting.

I'm terrible about playing around with products. I know what works, but I can't help thinking there must be something even more perfect out there, lol.

I'm glad to hear the Elumen is still working so well for you!

ravenreed
May 10th, 2014, 04:35 PM
If you have something that works it is magical, isn't it?

I learned my lesson a long time ago. So we stick to WCC + LOC method (see signature for links). It works and is amazing for my hair!

I CO so I gave up cones. They build up quickly on me anyway. My scalp and skin hate SLS. I have had to give up body wash too. Even just washing dishes in the sink leaves me with dry, angry hands, but my hair does need the occasional scrub. It feels so much better afterwards.

I need to take this pledge. SLS and cones work great for my hair, but every time I read about how bad they are I get sucked into trying new things that are "better" for your hair.

I think I'll take this pledge for cones. SLS not so much because while my scalp likes it, my skin isn't too fond of it so I'm still looking for something to make everything happy there. I have no problem sticking with my cones though. They're the only thing that makes my coarse hair feel even remotely soft.

I know, huh? I do the same thing, over and over. I think our hair will let us know when we hit the right routine. The trick is listening.

omg...yes, I belong in this thread...I ALWAYS trying out new things that I think should work, and then I walk around wondering why I hate my hair. Then I get frustrated with it so I go back to my simple routine and my hair is fabulous again. *hits head on desk*

TheHowlingWolf
May 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I am the same way! I pretty much know what works for me now but I still want to mess around and try new things! I promised myself last month that I would stick with products I KNOW I like only....and a few days later I ordered new shampoo & conditioner :rolleyes: lol. If I don't like this new s/c, then I am really going to stick to my HG s/c....but if I like it more, then I will just stick with this new stuff. I still mess around with herbs & stuff, trying to do herbal rinses, but I always give those up within a couple of uses because I always forget to seep my herbs on wash day!

lapushka
May 10th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Probably the best way to stick to a routine is to hoard your stuff cheap (on sale), then have no other choice but to stick with the products you acquired. ;) :lol:

CremeTron
May 10th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Good idea^^^

I have tried a few things since joining like oils and rosewater. I am back to Aussie products and a little gel. I have lots of creams and oils now that I cannot use because I do not like the way they make my hair feel.

MINAKO
May 10th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I kindly have to disagree, believing in always finding a better product than the previous one has been working for me, so that's the kind of thing i stick with, namely > change! Of course i don't fall for each and every hype or advertisement, but even if a product is kinda bad... there is no such thing of instant damage from one use of the wrong conditioner, oil or shampoo. Just because i didn't like a product and observe my hair more thoroughly, it doesn't mean it has been causing terrible breakage or something in one go. My routine has been working alright 5 years ago, now i have better hair than i ever thought i woud have back then, so i wanna improve further.

ravenreed
May 10th, 2014, 04:59 PM
I do like the herbs. I make my catnip rinse the night before and let it sit overnight. I always hate when I forget! Sometimes I make herbal tea and just use the teabags a second time for a hair rinse.

I am the same way! I pretty much know what works for me now but I still want to mess around and try new things! I promised myself last month that I would stick with products I KNOW I like only....and a few days later I ordered new shampoo & conditioner :rolleyes: lol. If I don't like this new s/c, then I am really going to stick to my HG s/c....but if I like it more, then I will just stick with this new stuff. I still mess around with herbs & stuff, trying to do herbal rinses, but I always give those up within a couple of uses because I always forget to seep my herbs on wash day!

ravenreed
May 10th, 2014, 05:12 PM
If experimentation works for you, go for it. This is more for those of us who have a great routine already and get seduced away with promises of ... I don't even know what. In fact, for me deviating has lead to problems. Nothing that time and a haircut didn't solve, but still.

My routine hasn't improved much since I first hit LHC and found CO, ACV, and catnip rinses. As for instant damage, yes, I have experienced it. SMTs give me split ends on every hair within two days of use. Before I figured out that protein laden products tangle my hair so badly I ended up cutting off several inches because of using the wrong shampoo. I was experimenting with sulfate-free stuff. My ends turned into brillo pads and I couldn't brush or comb without snapping hairs. All it takes is one use for me and I have a mess of angry hair. Clarifying and moisturizing didn't help either. I have learned the hard way that when my hair hates something, it really, really hates it.

I kindly have to disagree, believing in always finding a better product than the previous one has been working for me, so that's the kind of thing i stick with, namely > change! Of course i don't fall for each and every hype or advertisement, but even if a product is kinda bad... there is no such thing of instant damage from one use of the wrong conditioner, oil or shampoo. Just because i didn't like a product and observe my hair more thoroughly, it doesn't mean it has been causing terrible breakage or something in one go. My routine has been working alright 5 years ago, now i have better hair than i ever thought i woud have back then, so i wanna improve further.

MissBubble
May 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I stick to some products but I also love to try new and find better ones to stick to them.
But last time I went to buy one of my two favorite oils (not the natural type) I saw a different one by the same brand and I decided to get that instead without having read any reviews.
The result was extremely dry ends and damage! I had tried products that didn't work for me in the past so it would be only a 10-15 dollar loss in this case, but it literally destroyed my hair from use one.

MINAKO
May 10th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I Stick to the basic plan as as well, but really like to switch up things within the steps, like using different conditioners, masks, mixing new oils and herb i havent tried before and so on, i would say ever since i layed off the damn shampoo my hair has been thankful for almost anything i put in it, it just eats product like the hungry caterpillar, if something wasn't quiet effective, i just go back to what was previously better and don't expirience any changes at all. But your hair is far longer than mine and sound like it would be much more fragile. Of course you shouldn't rishk anything, but if the ingredients of a new product read right, like lets say the perfect combination of two current faves, you wouldn't go for that one?

On SMT, my hair dried out a bit too while trying out honey, so it definitely falls in the "evil" category for me, but molasses in turn worked like a dream for me. Aloe gel doesn't do anything, might as well just use water to add moisture and then lock it in with an oil. y hair tells me if it's in need for a trim if it tangles badly in the last two inches, and starts to develop a few fairy knots, but no matter what i do, never find any splits, maybe like two in an entire year.
I always find it interesting how different hairtypes behave. SOmetimes i wish there was a way to add something like a micropic view of each members strand anatomy to our profiles, since what we know from scientific depiction is always only a sketch of what it individually looks like.

jacqueline101
May 10th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I'm going to try this. I was thinking about trying my very first routine it seemed to work. I also loved it. I only started changing my routine because my hair seemed to lack something. I've been trying to figure it out.

VanillaTresses
May 10th, 2014, 09:34 PM
The older I get the more settled my routine has become, however I still have a rotation of different products that I prefer and of course it is still fun to try something new every once in a while even if I do just go back to the same old things.

Johannah
May 11th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I'm still searching for that magical routine that works for me... Hmm... Every time I try something, it works for a couple of months, and then I need to find something else.

florenonite
May 11th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Probably the best way to stick to a routine is to hoard your stuff cheap (on sale), then have no other choice but to stick with the products you acquired. ;) :lol:

I did this about a week ago when a local supermarket had a 4 for £3 sale on the shampoo and conditioner I use, so I got two bottles of each. Less than a week later, and I'm like, "Hmm, I really want to give shampoo bars another go." :lol:

lapushka
May 11th, 2014, 07:36 AM
For me products change: different shampoos but always sl(e)s shampoos, different conditioners but always (mostly) cone conditioners, different leave-ins, different serums, different gels (always alcohol-free though). The method however hasn't changed in years (see signature).

battles
May 11th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I need to do this. Shampoo bars work amazingly for me and I keep wandering away from them.. I keep going back to shampoo and conditioner, which causes me to break out all over my chest and shoulders. :mad:

ravenreed
May 11th, 2014, 10:36 AM
What inspired me to start this thread: I have always battled split ends. Long, short, virgin, dyed, my hair has always split like mad. Frequent microtrimming and S&Ds were a staple part of my routine. A few months ago I realized that I hadn't done either in a few months. I searched for split ends and only found a few, but the few I found were amazingly long, meaning that they had been there for a while. I was completely thrilled. So what did I do? I got sucked into the ceramide hype, bought a new shampoo and conditioner, and tried that for a month. When that didn't work, I tried a second product with ceramides, with no better results. Now I have a head full of split ends again, and I keep getting new ones. It will take a while for my hair to forgive me, and I am especially annoyed at myself. So... yeah. I need to stop. I know what my hair likes, I just need to listen to it.

lapushka
May 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I know what my hair likes, I just need to listen to it.

That's what I keep saying as well. It's not about what you like, it's about what your hair likes. I tend to say it especially to newbies, as they tend to experiment the most. Natural, sulfate-free, cone free isn't always better. Now, we all experimented to some degree, but in the end it's about what works for your hair, not about what pleases you.

starlamelissa
May 11th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Pantene shampoo and conditioner, mineral oil heavy leave in product, paddle brush when dry works for me. No conefree, no sulphate free, no shampoo bars, nothing like that.

I also get trims regularly and dye (roots only) every 8ish weeks.

Wq

Weewah
May 11th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Im finally settling on a routine that gives me consistent good hair days, but I picked up some new products 2 days ago that I need to try. :( Gimme another month or so and maybe I can take this pledge.

ravenreed
May 11th, 2014, 06:13 PM
No worries. Experimentation is fun. I found some great things, like catnip rinses, by being willing to try new things.

Im finally settling on a routine that gives me consistent good hair days, but I picked up some new products 2 days ago that I need to try. :( Gimme another month or so and maybe I can take this pledge.

elsieivy
May 11th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I've not sure that I can give up experimenting completely but I'm at least going to pledge to only change one thing at a time now.

Anje
May 11th, 2014, 06:50 PM
No worries. Experimentation is fun. I found some great things, like catnip rinses, by being willing to try new things.

Indeed. Experimentation is how you figure out if what you've been doing is optimal or if you can improve in it. Only experience can tell you what your hair does best with, and it isn't always the routine you want to shoehorn it into. The most effective products for me ended up being the ones I'd already been using for ages, but on a different schedule.

neko_kawaii
May 11th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Just about every time I pick up a bottle of oil I've heard is good on hair I put it back on the shelf with sticker shock. That is all the deterrent I need!

ravenreed
May 12th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I guess what did me in was realizing that my routine hasn't changed much in the last four or five years, in spite of deviating to experiment occasionally. If nothing else it reinforces that the best routine is right under my nose. The sudden re-occurrence of split ends was just so annoying! :justy: However, the good news, to me at least, is that I can appease my hair and get it happy again. I think at this point I have grown out the worst of my old dye damage, my hair is as strong as it can be, and I just need to clear out whatever sneaky humectant made my ends dry enough to split.

Indeed. Experimentation is how you figure out if what you've been doing is optimal or if you can improve in it. Only experience can tell you what your hair does best with, and it isn't always the routine you want to shoehorn it into. The most effective products for me ended up being the ones I'd already been using for ages, but on a different schedule.