PDA

View Full Version : Scalp washing techniques and questions

patienceneeded
May 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Hello everyone!

I tried scalp washing last night for the first time and (of course) had some difficulties.

How do YOU do it? It is normal for the length to end up slightly damp/wet when you comb out your hair afterward? What techniques do you use and why? When you scalp wash do you use shampoo? CO? WO? (I can't CO wash, it makes my hair fall out)

I am asking because I've recently started running again. I really don't want to wash the length of my hair as often as I run (4-5 times a week). I'm ok with not washing (my hair) at all after one run, but more than that I just feel like my scalp is gross. I would really like to be able to scalp wash after some of my runs and not end up with all my hair wet as a final result.

Oh, and installing one of those shower-heads you can detach and use is not an option. DH HATES those and will not buy one/install one.

Help me LHC gurus! You're my only hope!

Selkie-
May 10th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Well I personally love scalp-washes as it allows me to cut down on washing the length to twice a week and still have clean looking hair everyday (I usually scalp wash every second day).

My 'method' is - put hair in low ponytail and then tuck the ponytail into my top so that the length of the pony is covered. I then bend face down over the bath and use a shower attachment (plastic cheapie that you can just put over and then remove off bath taps when not using) to wet the top and sides of my head. I then use organic sulphate-free shampoo (diluted) and wash the top and sides. Rinse thoroughly while all the time leaning forward so that the water runs forward and never backwards.

It works great and the length of my hair never gets wet. I towel dry my scalp gently and then comb the scalp - it is always easy and never tangles. Somehow when I wash this way my scalp hair always dries smoother (i.e. less obvious halo hair) than when I wash fully.

Good luck!

meteor
May 10th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Scalp-only washes are a very wise decision for long-haired folks who exercise, especially those who suffer from dry ends or tangles.
I love scalp-only washes and I follow this routine, shown by LauraLongLocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
Wrap your length with a plastic cap or two (either in a bun, a braid or pony) and always use heavily diluted shampoo: one or two drops of shampoo in a cup of water is enough for me.
Just massage/scrub with your fingers and follow up with either water, or diluted vinegar/lemon rinse. WO also works, but my scalp doesn't feel as clean after.
I never use conditioner for scalp-only washes because the whole point is to leave hair untouched. Also, sometimes my length does get damp/wet if I'm not too careful, but I don't mind. It's still a lot faster than a regular wash.

Note that your scalp won't really feel as squeaky clean as after a regular shampooing, but it will look just as clean.

W2
May 10th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I make a loose braid from the top of my hair and then clip the tassel up

Gabriel
May 10th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I do the same as W2. I make a loose ponytail and then braid it and clip the tassel to a shower ring. It's pretty easy for me and I was able to do scalp washes that way for a couple of years now I think? I use a two in one shampoo and conditioner, (Head and Shoulders at the moment) and it gets my scalp squeaky clean. The section from my ears to shoulders gets a little damp when drying but everything dries eons faster than a full wash.

I got the idea from another long hair. I think the idea came from a long hair grandma who posted how she clipped the end of her braid to a hanger though.

coramDGildenher
May 10th, 2014, 04:09 PM
What are the benefits of scalp-washing, if you don't mind a newbie asking? I've done this for years because I heard it was better but is it truly better to only wash your scalp or is it just a preference?

meteor
May 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM
What are the benefits of scalp-washing, if you don't mind a newbie asking? I've done this for years because I heard it was better but is it truly better to only wash your scalp or is it just a preference?
The benefits are:
- avoiding hygral fatigue (swelling and shrinking of hair from exposure to water);
- avoiding drying out the length (hair doesn't need to be washed often, unless it's covered with grime or product build-up);
- less wet manipulation and less mechanical damage;
- much faster drying time;
- much easier post-wash detangling.

patienceneeded
May 10th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Interesting responses! I had tried the loose braid in a shower-cap method, but I either did it wrong or it didn't work for me. I don't think my braid is long enough to clip to the shower curtain ring, but I really like that idea!

I didn't think to dilute the shampoo. I'll try that next time.

Any other scalp-only washers with advice to share?

Off to check out the tutorial shared earlier this thread...

meteor
May 10th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Sorry, double post.

meteor
May 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM
If the braid didn't work for you, try it with a bun (the tutorial I linked works with a bun).

Yes, diluting shampoo helps get all the scalp without pulling on hairs and without causing damage during application. Diluted shampoo is also usually used when washing scalp with protective styles on African hair (microbraids, for example) - I think it's best method of washing when your hair has to be somehow contained.

patienceneeded
May 10th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I did go and watch the video - very helpful! I will be trying it that way on my next scalp-only wash. Perhaps I'll give it a go tomorrow...

I'll update after I try that method. When my hair is long enough I want to try the braid clipped to the curtain hanger method...it sounds interesting.

Keep the ideas coming!