PDA

View Full Version : How to tie the end of braid with only your hair?

GrowingOut
May 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Hello everyone!

I have a question on how to do a recent trend I saw. It was in Frozen and a lot of girls have been sporting it.

You pretty much tie off your hair without any elastics or products, and the end result looks like this: https://31.media.tumblr.com/27f50ed547b6c66047bb894a0825cccb/tumblr_n59g5aNhek1s5q89jo1_500.jpg

Does anyone know what that style is called and how to do it? (Sorry it's fanart, It was the clearest picture I could find.)

neko_kawaii
May 10th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I've done it as a miniature topsy. You need some sort of tool to pull the end through with, I've used an old out of shape bobby pin. Take a small section of hair, wrap it around and leave enough of the end so that you can thread it through your tool and then use the tool to pull it behind the tight wrapping. Hope that makes some sort of sense. There are probably other ways of doing it.

MINAKO
May 10th, 2014, 09:54 AM
imh wrapping a thin strand and fixing it with a bobby pin would do the trick, i wouldn't attempt to tie an actual tiny knot in my ends tho, poor babies. I mean all the hair in one big knot would be ok but then it looks very different.

Thinthondiel
May 10th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Is this what you're thinking of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KCFRADoX8

MINAKO
May 10th, 2014, 10:06 AM
"Let then tangle at the bottom and pull!" was already enough to every consider this hairstyle, its pretty, but it would cause me too much unnecessary breakage.

GrowingOut
May 10th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Okay! Thank you all! :D I'll save this as an emergency style then!

Lostsoule77
May 10th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Did a quick search and everything I found used the same method as the posted video. So it's a good option for those with shorter hair, but I don't think it would work as well for us. You could untangle as normal most of the way down and just not untangle the ends for the lower half of the braid. It doesn't appear to be a damaging style, depending on how strong your ends are. Minako the ends aren't actually tangling, they are just braiding. ;)

Side note : Just curious, since when can we actually post Youtube videos in threads as opposed to just a link?

SkyChild
May 10th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Bear in mind that Frozen girls have perfect hair because it can do things difficult to do in RL.
I've tried this but my hair always unravels unless I actually tie a full knot, which breaks my usually nice ends :(

neko_kawaii
May 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Side note : Just curious, since when can we actually post Youtube videos in threads as opposed to just a link?

I'm not sure when I first realized there was a video link button. The only down side to it is that you can only post one video per post, and not all video sites are supported.

neko_kawaii
May 10th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Ok, I remembered while I was struggling to get the hair into the bobby pin that it is easier done with a second bobby pin used to pull the little section into the first. Also, instead of inserting the pin after wrapping, lay the pin where you will wrap and wrap right over it, leaving enough at the top and bottom for threading the top and gripping at the bottom to pull out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OOpjN0tp0&feature=youtu.be

Lostsoule77
May 10th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure when I first realized there was a video link button. The only down side to it is that you can only post one video per post, and not all video sites are supported.

Thank you. :)

And Thank you for showing us how you do that! Looks pretty and not too damaging. Just may have to try it. :D

dreamingstar
May 10th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Ok, I remembered while I was struggling to get the hair into the bobby pin that it is easier done with a second bobby pin used to pull the little section into the first. Also, instead of inserting the pin after wrapping, lay the pin where you will wrap and wrap right over it, leaving enough at the top and bottom for threading the top and gripping at the bottom to pull out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OOpjN0tp0&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for posting this! I've been wondering how to do this very thing for a while but haven't been able to figure it out. I'm currently at waist-length, so I doubt I'd have much success with this (yet) - but I will find out!

meteor
May 10th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Thank you for posting this, neko_kawaii! I love that idea! :) I'm curious: how do you untie that braid? Do you use a U-pin again?

neko_kawaii
May 10th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Thank you for posting this! I've been wondering how to do this very thing for a while but haven't been able to figure it out. I'm currently at waist-length, so I doubt I'd have much success with this (yet) - but I will find out!

Should work at waist length. Just leave enough of a tassel that you have material to wrap with. Have fun!

Thank you for posting this, neko_kawaii! I love that idea! :) I'm curious: how do you untie that braid? Do you use a U-pin again?

Hum, I ran my fingers gently over the wrapped part until it loosened and then it came undone pretty quickly after that. Depending on how slippery ones hair is, this may not hold all day.

Beborani
May 10th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Am I glad i clicked on this thread-I have wondered about this too. Neko, thank you so much for that demo---it worked like a charm on first try--I did what you suggested, place the pin and wrap.