PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my SO's crazy hair (and scalp) issues.

Nadine <3
May 9th, 2014, 09:21 PM
My boyfriend, Kevin isn't a long hair, nor is he aspiring to be one, however, he needs hair help. he has dandruff pretty badly that is caused by psoriasis on his scalp. His doctor did give him a special wash to use but it hasn't helped at all. We do weekly olive oil/coconut oil soaks together. I saturate his hair and scalp in suave coconut (or whatever, I let him choose the scent lol) and an oil, the I wrap it up in plastic, then I stick a warm wool hat over that. The I repeat that same process on myself. Then we sit on the couch and watch a movie or a show together. After we're done watching our show, I take off his wrap and do a really thorough scalp massage and even go through it with a fine tooth comb to really bring up the scaling from the psoriasis up. After that, we wash up. I tried to get him to use a milder shampoo, but he likes his Axe and his man smells. He compromised a tiny bit by switching to an Axe 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner. I really like the way it smells, so I wasn't to pushy about it lol

Anyways, this treatment has helped massively, but he still likes to style his hair with a really heavy gel. I hate the gel...I think it looks silly. So he cut back on geling it, because it makes me happy that I can actually run my hands through his hair and whatnot, but without the gel it stands straight up in all sorts or weird directions and he's embarrassed to go out like that, so he puts a hat on all the time. He was wondering if there was anything else he could use, that would be easier on his scalp and hair, would give it some hold to stay down, and wouldn't give him that crunchy wet look that I don't care for. Getting some sunlight on his head actually really helps the psoriasis, so we gotta air that puppy out.

Thank you!

stringy
May 9th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Brylcreem :)

It will give it some hold, and give it the wet look of gel. But it doesn't get hard like gel.

stringy
May 9th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Also, there are hair "pastes" that can give hold and texture without the wet look. I used to use something by Crew when I was shorthaired, but I can't remember the exact name. Just look for some kind of "paste" or "texturizer."

ErinLeigh
May 9th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Youcould try a pomade. Or aloe vera gel. Or aloe gel mixed with a little oil.
There are flaxseed gel recipes someone on the net also. It will be trial and error but maybe something will work.

FireFromWithin
May 10th, 2014, 01:07 AM
He needs to switch shampoo and go back to the doctor for something stronger/ different if the initial treatment isn't working. Generally normal shampoos and soaps etc can be replaced with emollients. Also UV therapy is a medical treatment for psoriasis so the sunlight is likely to help, just be sure he doesn't burn his scalp because it hurts like the Dickins.

Could he get a different hair cut designed to need less gel? I'm not sure how short haircuts work but perhaps a different style would help it lay flatter?

Charybdis
May 10th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Try the VO5 gel wax. (http://www.vo5.co.uk/extreme/products/gelWax) I use this sometimes to stick down my frizzy "halo" hairs, and it's not crunchy at all. It has a bit more of a "manly" smell than I would prefer, so he may like it.

Does your SO realize that the perfume in his shampoo may be aggravating his scalp condition? He could try an unscented dandruff shampoo (http://www.amazon.com/Home-Health-Antidandruff-Everclean-Unscented/dp/B0002JIHT0) and then use the VO5 gel wax for a bit of scent.

Good luck!

Rosa Harris
May 10th, 2014, 05:19 AM
For me anything drying makes it worse. Shampoo is horrible on the psoriasis for me. It makes it feel tight and itch terrible and if you scratch that just makes the whole thing get worse and worse. Not talking about scale removal. I'm mind blanking on what it is called but my doc gives me this stuff that is much thicker than a creme and very greasy. I love it because it stays in place to treat it. It has not made it go away. I hate to say nothing has made it go away just improve some here and there. You dont gob it on of course.

Coconut butter is very good for the problem but you need real 100 percent cocobutter. There have been studies that show it is effective. Another scientifically proven is Shea Butter and then Tea Tree oil is also good for it. I make me a think thick oil-creme with the three by lopping about 3 oz of cocobutter, 3 oz of Shea Butter and 2 oz of Tea Tree oil (good anti-itch) into a microwavable bowl and nuking for 2 minutes then mixing it til its all melted and pour in an empty jelly jar. Shake occasionally till it cools. Great soak treatement and itch during the day - rub on a little on the itch.

Gel I found out recently drives mine freakin nutts. The aloe mentioned above is great tho. It has a real calming feel to it and it also conditions. Just get 100 percent gel - not the green dyed stuff - it has impurities in it and often stuff to relieve sunburn pain.

sachaa
May 11th, 2014, 08:08 AM
aloe vera could be a good styling tool indeed
maybe he could try AVC rinses, they are good for the scalp