PDA

View Full Version : Is corn starch okay to use as a "dry shampoo"?

xoChesleyy
May 9th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I usually wash my hair every 4-5 days, depending on what I have to do and how oily my hair is looking. Sometimes my hair starts looking greasy on the 3rd or 4th day.. And with my new college classes starting, I do not want to go to school with my 3rd-5th day hair looking oily. I read online that you can use corn starch as a "dry shampoo". I have used it a few times, and it seems to leave my hair shiny and absorb the excess oil quite well. Whereas, baby powder shows in my dark hair and makes my hair feel very dry.. I was wondering, is corn starch okay to use on my hair? Or could it actually dry out my hair too much if I use it often since it absorbs oil? I have wondered this for awhile but I haven't found my answer anywhere. :hmm: Has anyone tried anything besides corn starch/baby powder/store-bought dry shampoo that would work well for 4th/5th day hair?

meteor
May 9th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I was wondering, is corn starch okay to use on my hair? Or could it actually dry out my hair too much if I use it often since it absorbs oil? I have wondered this for awhile but I haven't found my answer anywhere. :hmm: Has anyone tried anything besides corn starch/baby powder/store-bought dry shampoo that would work well for 4th/5th day hair?

Cornstarch may show on dark brunette hair actually. Maybe cocoa powder will work on your hair? Also, check out Nightblooming's dry shampoo on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/119459207/moondust-herbal-dry-shampoo-110-oz?ref=related-0
I don't know if it's for all hair colors and types, but you can ask her.

Nadine <3
May 9th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I've never used corn starch, but I have used cocoa powder and I love it! It makes me smell like a big chocolate bar too. Love it.

MadeiraD
May 9th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I use cornstarch at night and by morning it's disappeared leaving my hair shiny and fluffy

xoChesleyy
May 9th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I have heard about cocoa powder! And a mixture of corn starch and cocoa powder. The corn starch doesn't really seem to show that much despite my hair being dark, somehow.. But it takes me awhile of brushing it through to where it doesn't show. That herbal dry shampoo seems interesting! When I have extra money I may try it out. :p

xoChesleyy
May 9th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I use cornstarch at night and by morning it's disappeared leaving my hair shiny and fluffy

That's a great suggestion! If that works for me, I won't have to spend 15-20 minutes in the morning putting it in my hair anymore. :D I will definitely be trying this in a couple days when my hair starts looking oily.

momschicklets
May 9th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I've used it as a dry shampoo and I don't think there is any harm in doing so. However it did make my scalp very itchy so I don't do it anymore. But it worked on the greasy-looking roots and blended with my very dark brown hair just fine.

clairenewcastle
May 9th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I experimented with dry shampoos in the past but although they absorbed the sebum on my hair, they also built up on my scalp causing shedding.

queenieheather
May 10th, 2014, 02:08 AM
I was using a mixture of cocoa powder and corn starch but I think it was making my scalp itch(the corn starch part, cocoa powder on it's own doesn't)I just recently made my own dry shampoo mix using equal parts arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, and orris root powder. It smells really good! Orris root powder smells sweet... kinda like lavender or something. I like it way better than corn starch!

divinedobbie
May 10th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Corn starch works really well on my hair. I find that I need to put it in the night before for it to soak in the oil and it's easier to get out of my hair, instead of rubbing it in and then trying to brush it out.

When I was stretching washes without corn starch, I shed like crazy. When I started using store bought dry shampoo or cornstarch, it stopped.

Henna Girl
May 10th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I mix corn starch with a little baby powder because I love the smell. It works very well for me, it helped me stretch my washes to once every 6 days or a week. Sometimes you have to experiment with the quantity to use to get it perfect. It only leaves a white powdery look if I apply too much.