PDA

View Full Version : More tangles near scalp: anyone else?

darklyndsea
May 9th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Most people seem to have tangles that are worse at the ends, especially if there are split ends. Mine, on the other hand, are worst between the bottom of my ears and about halfway between shoulders and APL. Am I alone, or do others get worse tangles close to their scalp than at their ends?

florenonite
May 9th, 2014, 08:46 AM
How do you shampoo? What do you do with your hair in bed?

Both of those jump to mind as times when you might be causing tangles in the upper parts of your hair.

darklyndsea
May 9th, 2014, 08:55 AM
How do you shampoo? What do you do with your hair in bed?

Both of those jump to mind as times when you might be causing tangles in the upper parts of your hair.

I'm not really looking for a way to fix it, just wondering if other people are the same. (but thanks anyway!)

My hair is so thick that I can't manipulate the roots in the shower; I end up just smoothing lathered-up shampoo over it in the direction my hair hangs, because that's the only way even my nails can penetrate to the scalp even a little. In bed: braided or in amish braids or an Elling bun, with a satin pillowcase (and an additional sleep cap when I have amish braids or an Elling bun).

neko_kawaii
May 9th, 2014, 08:59 AM
If I wear it down, that is where I get the worst tangles. I think it has to do with rubbing on collars. If you are getting them while wearing your hair up, do you have short hairs around the hairline that like to escape? I know mine will sometimes do that, most noticeable with a braid that has been left in for 24 hours.

Vivalagina
May 9th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Mine does. I wash gently with shampoo or conditioner and condition from root to top and use KCKT as a leave in. I get most tangles from temple to chin. My hair is extremely clumpy and my ends are able to fall apart whereas my hair towards my scalp isn't.

LadyCelestina
May 9th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Mine does,too.Maybe it's a curly-wavy thing ? It could also be because my ends get conditioned more and are a bit thinner,so they are not as tangled.

darklyndsea
May 9th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I've always figured that, at least on my hair, it's a combination of my sebum being the exact opposite of helpful and that I have some hairs that are a lot easier to damage and/or rougher than my other hairs, which don't survive for very long. The problem has definitely decreased since I started covering my hair (my biggest source of damage was definitely the sun).

meteor
May 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Mine does,too.Maybe it's a curly-wavy thing ?
I think so too. And the denser the hair and the finer the individual hair strands, the more pronounced I would expect this to be.
I've always had the same problem. If it gets really bad, maybe try sectioning your buns: for example, top-sectioned hair wrapping a bun around a smaller bun made with bottom-sectioned hair. You could also wear 2 braids and buns created from 2 or more braids. Keeping nape hair sectioned and separated helps me.

walterSCAN
May 9th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I'm not really looking for a way to fix it, just wondering if other people are the same. (but thanks anyway!)

My hair is so thick that I can't manipulate the roots in the shower; I end up just smoothing lathered-up shampoo over it in the direction my hair hangs, because that's the only way even my nails can penetrate to the scalp even a little. In bed: braided or in amish braids or an Elling bun, with a satin pillowcase (and an additional sleep cap when I have amish braids or an Elling bun).

Yep, that's where my tangles are too, and I wash pretty much the exact way you describe! I also sleep on a satin pillowcase and usually braid for bed. I always thought it had a lot to do with my super-fine hair, but I see you're a C. :hmm: In my case anyway, it has nothing to do with curl/ wave! :laugh:

lapushka
May 9th, 2014, 01:31 PM
The only time I get tangles (and I rarely get them), is when we use conditioner that is too "weak". I need good, *very* moisturizing conditioners, and they keep all tangles at bay. They just do. My washing and styling method is in my signature. Maybe that has a lot to do with it as well!

jacqueline101
May 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Mine does this on the underside. I've just started brushing the underside and adding extra cone spray to the underside. That does help with the tangles.

CremeTron
May 10th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Me, me! I do. I do get glued together type ends a lot but I can understand that. My roots tangle also. It takes me a lot of time to detangle.

I watched a few youtube vids on type 4 hair and I see people detangle in 5 minutes in the shower and it seems easy. I tried to do it today and again, tangles up to the root area. I even had a single knot binding about ten strands together!

I don't do complicated styling. I don't comb my hair into a shape it would not naturally fall into. I pin it at nape and still tangles!

shutterpillar
May 10th, 2014, 01:41 PM
My hair likes to try to dread itself right at the base of my skull. It's just my specific hair anatomy that's causing it - the fact that it's wavy and fine. Putting a little extra Nightblooming Panacea and making sure to condition in that area helps a bit, but it's pretty much inevitable.

ravenreed
May 10th, 2014, 01:50 PM
My nape hairs are a totally different texture than the rest of my hair. They are finer and curlier, and they tangle and split all the time. I try to avoid clothing with collars and necklaces with large clasps. Even snoods or headbands that go behind the head leave me with a mat of tangled mess.

jel
May 10th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I also get tangles on the underside, from the nape down the neck. I wear buns in the day, and sleep in a braid - both of those styles leave that area exposed to rubbing on the collars and pillows. I just realised (thanks to Lapushka) that I don't really condition that area very well, as I avoid putting conditioner near my scalp. Something to think about!

darklyndsea
May 10th, 2014, 04:46 PM
I've started conditioning my scalp again, because it always feels so dry. It doesn't seem to make a difference in tangling. Of course, it's always possible that it's still not getting conditioned enough, since it only gets one round of conditioner rather than the two my length gets, but I'm not surre that's the cause for me.