PDA

View Full Version : How often do you...

openeyeddreamer
May 8th, 2014, 08:26 PM
..wash your hair?

..deep condition your hair?

..use a hot oil treatment?

..etc?? (any other things I'm missing?)

-If you don't do some of these things, could you at least suggest when I should? (like how many times a week/month and such).
I'm trying to start a good hair care regimen.

Thanks for your help!!

Aderyn
May 8th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I wash my hair twice a week.

No deep conditioning, no hot oil treatment.

Fairly simple in regards to the products I use: shampoo bar, conditioner (new addition).

Occasionally I'll use some coconut oil as a pre-poo (when I'm in a "let's spoil my hair" mood), on the ends or to tame flyaways.

FallingDarkness
May 8th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I'd recommend to start stretching your washes. For example, I used to wash my hair twice a week, now I was sometime in-between 4 and 5 days, depending. And my hair is DEFINITELY happier for it. Even before that I was washing every day, then I switched to every other day, and so on and so forth until I finally arrived to where I am now. Just start working towards washing your hair less, but take baby steps. It doesn't just happen automatically.
I don't REALLY deep condition; I use Aussie's Moist 3 Minute Miracle Deeeep conditioner every time I wash. So idk. That might count that might not count, it depends. I recommend the conditioner though, it's actually fantastic.
I use an oil treatment every other week, but I am working towards using it as a consistent prepoo.

Larki
May 8th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I wash my hair every other day and deep condition once a week.

neko_kawaii
May 8th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Wash usually twice a week, sometimes once. Depends on laziness, if I'll be out of the house, etc.

Hot oil? no. Pre wash oil at room temperature, yes. Deep treatment with conditioner, sometimes added things like honey and aloe for 20 minutes (or until I think of it again) before I wash to aid in the removal of the oil. Sometimes once a week, sometimes less. Depends on mood and timing of wash. If I realize I have to go out the door and my hair is beyond the level of greasy I can stand, then it just gets washed. Shampoo on scalp, conditioner on length.

Every now and then it will feel off and I'll clarify and chelate (hard water, so I probably need to do this more than others). Sometimes I just feel like doing something extra and I'll do a protein treatment with a mix of conditioner, hot water, and knox gelatin.

You will need to experiment to find out what works best for you. How often you need to do various things really depends on what your hair needs and your lifestyle/interest.

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2014, 09:12 PM
How often do I wash my hair? Once a week on Saturday
Deep condition your hair? Once a week on Saturday
Use hot oil treatment? Don't use any currently used to use them weekly on Wednesday.
Ect anything else? Cholesterol treatment and clarify once a month. Daily vitamin regimen, s&d weekly until white dots and splits are under control. Monday Wednesday Friday use vo5 keep me strong leave in conditioner on length ear lobes down, prior to that 4 squirts of Pantene truly natural argan serum on length, and scalp light mist of my own growth experiment spray. On the other days one mist spritz of tressemee shine spray on underside root line and weekly treatment. Sunday treat add my own oil mix to my hair length. My hair has been very dry it's drinking up oil. Updos you need those for the ends. I'm doing braids right now. Sleep caps they're great and satin pillow cases are nice too. They help with damage they keep hair from tangling getting pulled. Good tools sharp good quality scissors. Then brush that's good is the Michel Mercier one some like the tangle teaser. If you're a curly I'd recommend a pick for perms.

dancingpoet
May 8th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I wash twice a week (usually). Shampoo on the roots, conditioner on the length.

I don't usually deep condition. Maybe if the mood strikes. ;)

I do a jojoba hot oil treatment every two weeks to a month. I love how it makes my hair feel.

Sometimes I'll use some coconut oil before washing.

eadwine
May 8th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Once a week I wash my hair. Twice the bangs though because they get too visible when greasy ;)

ErinLeigh
May 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I wash 4 times a week usually. Every once in a while I can do 3 times a week but that is only if I am in hibernation mode.. Any less I shed like crazy and hair gets dry.
I conditioner wash most of the time but use a "low poo" one wash a week. Those are all silicone free. Clarify and chelate once a month followed by a deep condition.
I put coconut oil on dry hair the night before a wash.
Post wash I use a leave in conditioner then follow with one little drop oil on damp hair to seal some moisture. Once hair is dry a pea size amount of a shea butter and coconut oil mix (Nightblooming Panacea) to smooth everything out.

Oh and sleep on a satin pillow case nightly. Changing that to silk soon.

I love threads like these where we can see each others routines. :) OP what is your routine now?

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2014, 11:47 PM
My routine has simplified since I came to TLHC.

I shampoo and condition once a week, followed by a vinegar/water rinse.

When hair is almost dry, I smooth 2 drops of mineral oil over it.

When it feels like it needs it, I use a chelating shampoo (Joico).

That's it. I think my hair prefers simple.

YvetteVarie
May 8th, 2014, 11:57 PM
..wash your hair? once a week

..deep condition your hair? once a week

..use a hot oil treatment? once a week

Trimming (dusting) - when ends feel rough. No set schedule

Combing - once a week. I mostly finger comb

I wear my hair up 95% of the time, and I am not using heat (blow dryers and flat irons) at the moment.

This is mainly because of my hair type. Its gets very dry easily and it is quite fragile, so I have to do all this (except shampooing) very often to keep my hair healthy. With your hair type you probably don't need to deep condition or do hot oil treatments a lot.

Andeee
May 9th, 2014, 12:32 AM
wash your hair?
Every 5 days to once a week, can go a bit longer sometimes. I use normal shampoo which has been diluted with water. I've just finished something from the salon, but will use cheaper stuff as well. I condition with the 'matching' conditioner. I also have an SLS-free shampoo and a cone-free conditioner which I'll use when the mood strikes me.

deep condition your hair?
I do an SMT every once in a while (every few months or so). Every couple of weeks I'll do a coconut oil pre-wash treatment.

use a hot oil treatment?
I've never used a hot oil treatment.

-If you don't do some of these things, could you at least suggest when I should? (like how many times a week/month and such).

Thanks for your help!![/QUOTE]

animetor7
May 9th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Full wash and deep condition once a week. Scalp wash once a week. Coconut oil and BBB every day with dry shampoo as necessary. Trims every 6 months with some dusting in between as needed to keep ends healthy. That's pretty much it, that and protective hairstyles. But for me, I find the simpler I can keep my routine, the more likely I am to stick to it.

höpönasu
May 9th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I wash twice a week. Sometimes my scalp let's me stretch it to once. I don't intentionally stretch my washes, I go by my scalp. It gets itchy if I stretch washes too much.
I oil my hair pretty frequently, but usually I just spray some leave-in. Or both!
Oil treatment once a week. Sometimes I warm oils up, but most of the time I just put it on my hair and scalp.
I think that's it. :ponder:

vsvisionz
May 9th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I wash my hair at almost daily, can't seem to avoid it.

I deep condition at least once a week.

And I hot oil treat when I think of it, which isn't as often as I should.

torrilin
May 9th, 2014, 07:08 AM
..wash your hair?

Once a week maybe?

The rest, basically never. I will oil my hair sometimes. Conditioner is a I use lots, I use leave in, yes yes yes gib! I find if I use conditioners that work for my hair and leave ins that work, there's no need to do other stuff.

PrincessPhoebe
May 9th, 2014, 07:21 AM
I wash/condition/leave in twice a week. Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings - I am such a creature of habit!

I don't really deep condition apart from occasional use of Aussie 3MM. I don't oil as I never really saw a difference, but I may do some more oil experiments in the future.

I like to keep things as simple as possible.

~Abi~
May 9th, 2014, 07:41 AM
I CO-wash every other day with Suave Naturals (Silicone-free and cheap, works for me!). (Although I've gone 6 days on this wash...having a newborn and leaving hair up in a bun all day every day and not leaving the house...who cares what my hair looks like? But actually, I'm going to try regularly stretching my washes to this long, because my hair looks as if I'd washed it yesterday!)

Shampoo wash every 4-6 weeks, whenever I notice my hair getting greasies faster than normal.

Coffee rinse once a week.

Henna/coffee goop (with olive oil as a conditioner) every 6-8 weeks depending on root growth.

FuzzyBlackWaves
May 9th, 2014, 08:49 AM
..wash your hair?

Whenever it needs it, which is usually about once every month or every two months. My hair doesn't get oily, but it does get dull.

Every time I wash.

Every time I wash.

restless
May 9th, 2014, 09:47 AM
..wash your hair? I wash it every night (shampoo for the scalp, conditioner for the length). Stretching washes isnt for me.

..deep condition your hair? Never.

..use a hot oil treatment? I oil my hair with coconut oil twice a week, although Ive never used hot oil. It happens that I go for avocado oil too, but coconut is my favorite. I let it soak for a couple of hours before washing it out like normal.

queenovnight
May 9th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I usually cowash every other day and then I just put it in a bun.
My hair takes forever to dry, so I rarely let it dry. I just toss it in a bun with hair sticks.

I try to deep condition once a week or just when my hair feels dry.

I hot oil about three times a week. Usually just out of boredom. Coconut or olive oil.

I also only wide tooth comb or finger comb.

I don't keep to a strict regimen because my hair has a mind of it's own.

Nadine <3
May 9th, 2014, 11:09 AM
..wash your hair?
Every 4 days or so. Sometimes I get lazy and stretch to 5 or 6 and sometimes I wash 2 days n a row. Depends on whats going on at the time.

Whenever I'm not being lazy. Sooo, not often lol

Never used hot oil, but sometimes I run some oil through my length the day before a wash if my hair feels dry.

Johannah
May 9th, 2014, 11:20 AM
..wash your hair? twice a week.

..deep condition your hair? +/- 2 times a month.

..use a hot oil treatment? +/- 2 times a month.

..etc?? Now I'm doing some protein treatments, once a week, until my hair stops liking it.

ExpectoPatronum
May 9th, 2014, 01:35 PM
..wash your hair? Every other day currently with good ol Herbal Essences.

..deep condition your hair? I don't really ever do this. I'll maybe let my normal conditioners sit a bit longer?

..use a hot oil treatment? I oil my hair before every wash, though not necessarily hot oil treatments.

..etc?? (any other things I'm missing?) For updos, I usually have my hair down or in a braid. I reserve the buns for when it's really hot outside.

molljo
May 9th, 2014, 02:47 PM
..wash your hair?
I WCC with diluted sulfate-free shampoo every 4-6 days, depending on the weather, laziness, or if my hair is being particularly well behaved.

Does conditioning twice count? I've done one SMT and it just made my hair really poofy and gigantic so I never did it again.

I overnight pre-poo with a mix of olive and coconut oil, but I don't heat it up.

I put Nightblooming Panacea on my ends every night before I go to sleep, unless I'm pre-pooing. I use a combo clarifying/chelating shampoo (Redken Cleansing Cream) once a month because I have very hard water and to make sure I'm not getting product buildup. I wrap my hair in a silk scarf to sleep. I also LOC for styling, but that's for waves. Pretty simple.

HazelBug
May 9th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I wash about twice a week. I was trying to stretch my washes longer. But with being pregnant my body has been producing more oil than usual. So it's a real uphill battle. I hope after the baby is born that I can stretch my washes further. I had such dryness to my skin and scalp last time. But I think the lower estrogen during breastfeeding was affecting my oil production. I went from daily washes then to twice a week without any adjusting necessary at the time.

xoChesleyy
May 9th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I wash my hair every 4-5 days.. As long as I can go in between washes and depending on if I have to do anything.

I use coconut oil the night before I wash my hair.. Not as a hot oil treatment, though. First, I dampen my hair using warm water in a spray bottle or just by putting my head under the sink for a few seconds and blotting the excess water out after. (I find this makes the coconut oil MUCH easier to distribute through my hair.. If I try doing this on my dry hair, I need to use a significantly larger amount of coconut oil and it is more difficult to distribute it evenly through my hair.) Then, I apply the coconut oil to my hair, put a shower cap on, and leave it in overnight.

For the "etc" part, I take biotin and a multi-vitamin daily, sleep on a satin pillowcase, S&D trim often using hair scissors only, do a scalp massage every day or every other day, drink plenty of water, eat fruits/veggies, and apply coconut oil to my ends daily!

meteor
May 9th, 2014, 06:38 PM
..wash your hair? Every 10 -14 days (my scalp is dry-ish).

..deep condition your hair? I use masks/deep conditioning treatments just like ordinary conditioners, and ordinary conditioners like deep treatments. So after every wash, if I have time, I leave it on for 30 minutes under a shower cap and towel. The only difference is that deep treatments are thicker, heavier and often more concentrated. Sometimes, I'll add honey and/or oil to conditioner.

..use a hot oil treatment? I do pre-poo overnight oiling almost every time I wash. It's usually some infused Indian oil.

..etc?? (any other things I'm missing?) I also use leave-ins sometimes (a couple drops of oil and/or conditioner). I like to oil my braid tassel every other night if my hair is feeling dry.

Kelikea
May 9th, 2014, 06:50 PM
..wash your hair? Usually twice a week.

..deep condition your hair? Never. I just use regular rinse-out conditioner.

..use a hot oil treatment? Not hot, but I oil it at least once a week--on Sunday night because I swim Monday and then wash and condition after swimming. I usually use Africa's best, but also use coconut.

..etc?? (any other things I'm missing?) I mist my hair in between washings with conditioner/water in a spray bottle.

Thanks for your help!!

I would suggest you also clarify your hair every once in a while, especially if you oil it or use products with protein, as they can build up.

woodswanderer
May 9th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I wash ideally twice a week, sometimes it turns into 1.5.

I rarely do a deep condition.

I have never done a hot or warm oil treatment.

I am pretty much always in a hurry when I am showering. I always have somewhere I want to go on the weekend, I sleep as late as I can manage before getting up for work, and I don't like to shower in the evening if I can help it.

I'm going to try to make time to do a deep conditioning treatment this month.

I do add coconut to my fairly wet hair after washing it, as well as a leave in spray. Just tonight I made up a humectant spray to start trying as a daily mister.

kganihanova
May 9th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I wash whenever I want

DT when I want

Oil before a wash

Clarify when I want

No real routine here- I just do what feels right.

Weewah
May 9th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I wash almost daily, whenever I have to work or am going out. Deep treatment maybe like once a month but it just depends how my hair feels. I pre-poo oil overnight before each wash, so I don't think I need deep oil treatments.

bunnylake
May 9th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I wash daily (roots only) and lightly condition only the very ends. I have an oily scalp and my hair never gets dry.
I rarely deep condition, but maybe once a week or every other week I do an overnight coconut oil treatment.

Everyone's hair/body is so different. You'll have to find what's right for you. :)

BonnieU
May 9th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Me personally, I follow a curly friendly routine, washing one, two at most, times per week, and I don't really "deep condition" (at least I don't think so) but I loc with conditioner, oil and butter.

Marika
May 10th, 2014, 12:07 AM
I wash my hair every other day (CWC) and always use a leave-in conditioner and/or Panacea or serum.

I don't deep condition anymore but I used to once a week. I stopped because I'm lazy and I really didn't notice any difference. I do use deep conditioners as regular conditioners. i.e. I rinse them out after 1 minute. My "motto" is: if conditioner doesn't work in 1 minute, it's not worth my money and I won't re-purchase.

I don't do hot oil treatments. I did 15 years ago but they just left my hair feeling and looking oily.

I clarify with clarifying & chelating shampoo whenever I feel like even "normal" sulfate shampoo doesn't get my hair clean anymore (maybe once in 1-2 months).

sachaa
May 11th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I wash twice a week
i deep condition once a week
I don't do hot oil treatments, but i do oil
i don't clarify

patienceneeded
May 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I wash and condition every 3-4 days. I use sulfates and cones and love them (Herbal Essences, 90's throwback in the pink bottle). I am attempting to scalp-wash only after running (leaving the length dry). There seems to be a learning curve to scalp washing only.

I deep condition when I remember to and have time. Monthly?

No hot oil. I do use coconut oil pre-wash about once every two weeks or so. If I remember.

I clarify when I feel like I need to. No set schedule. I use Joico's shampoo for this purpose. I've had the same bottle for over a year now.

I experimented a lot when I joined LHC 3.5 years ago...I don't experiment anymore. My hair likes it simple.

Rosa Harris
May 11th, 2014, 12:06 PM
..wash your hair?

well I just gave that idea up. But to this length about once every two weeks. It was with sulfates most of that time but I don't think sulfates are good unless you want to stick with cone conditioner because you need it to keep cone build-up away.

Wash, I think, depends on how much oil you produce. My skin and hair is super crazy dry and I never ever get the oil head look unless I put in in from a bottle myself. My hubby gets an oilhead in less than 8 hours. Need to really listen to your own hair there not what society says. Given that you can stretch washes and your scalp with decrease its oil production (usually).

don't think I have ever done this since I started growing again - unless you count henna. I've done that twice in a couple months.

nope. But I do put some oil on when it feels dry.

trim? never. dont do that. you just lose your growth. Its pointless and causes more splits unless the hairdresser has very extreemly sharp sheers and gets the angle to the hair just right. If not it will crack the ends microscopically and produce tons of splits.

KittyBird
May 11th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I like to keep things as simple as possible. :)

Wash your hair? Every 3-4 days. My scalp gets itchy when I go too long without washing.

Deep condition your hair? Never. I've tried to do it regularly, but I honestly can't be bothered. My hair seems to be doing fine without it.

Use a hot oil treatment? Never. I do oil my scalp for a few hours before washing, and I occasionally put oil on my length too. It's room-temperature though, not hot.

Use leave-in? I put Nightblooming's Panacea on my length when it feels dry. Maybe I use it 2-3 times a week?

Henna? Every two months or so, again because I'm so lazy and it's such a hassle to put it on and wash it out. :o I only do it when my roots become very visible.

Trim? I trim only once a year, but I try to S&D regularly, like at least twice a month. I might do a tiny trim if my ends are extremely ratty and damaged.

Detangle? Every day or every other day, depends on how tangly it is. Sometimes I have to detangle twice a day to keep it from becoming a rat's nest, sometimes I can get away with only detangling every 2-3 days. :)

elsieivy
May 11th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I wash twice a week
I deep condition about once a month
I do hot oil treatments once a month at most
I clarify once every six weeks or so depending on the condition

tigerlily.
May 11th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I like to wash every day or if I can't, every other day. If I stretch washes my scalp gets really sore and itchy. I use a medicated shampoo from the doctors every two or three days. Without it my scalp is horrible, it scabs all over and bleeds and my scalp looks like its falling off in chunks! Sorry if that's TMI!

I don't deep condition, but I use conditioner every time I wash. My hair is 1a and very soft and silky naturally, so I've never noticed a difference after a deep condition. I never use conditioner on my scalp. I've got a very oily face and scalp naturally.

I've never tried a hot oil treatment. I tried using evoo different ways, a few times as a pre shampoo treatment, and also as a leave-in when I had wet hair, it just made my hair feel gross. I tried using only a tiny amount of oil as I thought maybe it wasn't nice because I used too much, but it made my hair feel sticky and like it had product in. I didn't like the feeling and didn't really notice a benefit so I stopped using it.

I trim my hair every two months or so. I like to keep the ends of my hair looking like a blunt cut as much as I can. This is just the look I like best for my own hair.

maybeinthemtns
May 12th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Wash? Once a week. Probably going to start trying to stretch it even more than that. It's a process, haha.

Deep Condition? I use coconut oil overnight once a week, before I wash it. Not quite the same thing, but close enough, I figure.

Hot oil? I've never tried hot oil.

Other? I put a leave-in in after I wash my hair. I oil the ends of my braid before I go to bed a couple times a week. No set schedule for it, it's pretty much based on whether I remember to do it or not.

I use tea-tree oil on my scalp as needed, it's really dry where I live. Depends on the weather how often - sometimes every week, sometimes not for a whole month. Same with clarifying, I just clarify when my ends get gunky. About every ... six weeks to two months or so, I'd guess.

I keep it pretty simple. The more elaborate, the more likely I am to space something, so I try to keep it pretty minimal and intuitive. Hair is dirty - wash it. Hair is not dirty - do not wash it. Hair is gunky - clarify. Hair is not gunky - do not clarify. And so on.

I'm so lazy, I can't handle much else, lol.

soothsayer
May 12th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I wash my hair every two-to-three days, though I'm trying to stretch it further. I've just re-started the hair growing process and not yet moved into CWC routines or protective styles.

I've never deep conditioned or hot-oiled my hair because it tends to be on the oily side anyway; I've only had dry hair if I've really messed up with a cheap flat iron or something.

As far as recommendations go, I've mostly heard of hair masks/treatments working one or twice a month. I imagine any more than that would start to impact one's washing routine. It would depend on a number of factors, though.

Juli414
May 12th, 2014, 07:17 PM
..wash your hair? Tues, Thurs, and Sat (currently my "weekend" is Sunday/Monday), unless I'm going to be seen by people who matter on Monday. I try to remember to use regular conditioner once or twice a week, sadly I usually remember after I'm dressed and take my hair out of the turban thing, and realize it's a pain to comb.

..deep condition your hair? Not as often as I should. I need to find a decent supply of product, I hate containers that only last one or two uses. I do it overnight, and shampoo the next day. Maybe I'll do that now.

..use a hot oil treatment? Never, but on occasion I'll overnight with coconut oil.

..etc?? (any other things I'm missing?) I'm still working out what works, and what doesn't (VO5 moisture milks are NOT moisturizing to my hair). Even though I've been here for a few years, I'm kinda new to actually doing more than benign neglect, so, I'm not sure what all one can do.

I'm trying to start a good hair care regimen. I think length and type will make a difference, find your hair twins here, and see if they have suggestions.

I wash as frequently because I have oily skin, and I'm not into the greasy look. I usually limit it to the scalp, except if there's a lot of oil, like on Tuesdays. Even with the oily scalp, my length tends to be dry, especially in winter, hence the conditioning.

vindo
May 12th, 2014, 08:45 PM
...wash your hair?
-> every 3 days. I used to go longer, about 7 days. Less washing is always better, but it really depends on how well your hair adjusts.

-> Never, I just use regular conditioner when washing. Isn't needed because I use oil.

-> Never, just regular cold and cold pressed oiling. Coconut oil doesn't need any heat to penetrate the hair shaft and less force and more natural is always better. Your hair knows how much it needs and changing the properties with heat can confuse that.

-> Nutrient dense diet meaning veggies, meat, fish, fruits and less of all the other stuff for me, perfect digestion is very important, healthy lifestyle, good overall health.

MariamPhilauri
May 12th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I wash everyday, my hair is very oily. I don't use deep conditioner or hot oil treatments, just regular conditioner.

Carolyn
May 12th, 2014, 09:09 PM
I wash my hair every other day. I've found that stretching washes isn't all that it's cracked be around here. If I don't wash at the very least every 3rd day my scalp gets very sore and itchy and my ends dry out something awful. Washing and conditioning moisturize my ends and keep my scalp clean and sore free. I deep condition every week or two and hot oil maybe every 2 months.

RingletedManiac
May 13th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I only wash my hair once a week, honestly. And I don't deep condition my hair, but I do use normal conditioner. And I use products on my hair including this argan oil product. I don't remember it's exact name.

clioariane
May 13th, 2014, 06:07 AM
..wash your hair?

Every other day.

Every week.

Once a month maybe.

I use a styling serum for shine and to prevent split ends after washes.

Zindell
May 14th, 2014, 01:36 AM
..wash your hair? About every third day

..deep condition your hair? Never

..use a hot oil treatment? Never

Loviatar
May 14th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Wash your hair?
For years I've been a daily washer but I'm experimenting with stretching washes. I used a shampoo bar on May 11 and it still looks good now. I've been using cornstarch on my parting, dusted on with a blush brush. Seems to work well and no scalp issues.

Deep condition your hair?
Maybe fortnightly? I've been COing so I didn't feel I needed to DT that much.

Use a hot oil treatment?
Never. But I use coconut, avocado or bhringraj oil when I remember!

Use leave-in?
Nightblooming's Panacea on my ends when i wash.

Cassia?
Every two months.

Trim?
I haven't trimmed for about 6 months, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep micro trimming as my layers catch up or if I should say blow it and let it all get past collarbone before I do a Feye self trim. Due to money and laziness right now the latter is winning

Detangle?
Every day.

Simone_Fatale
May 14th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I used to stretch my washes up to once a week, but my hair did not like it AT ALL. I was shedding like crazy. My hair loves getting wet, so I wash it two times a week and condition every time, deep conditioning once or twice a month. Sometimes when my hair gets frizzy I'll apply a bit of walnut oil, just a drop or two.

lapushka
May 14th, 2014, 08:15 AM
My hair's washed weekly, and it's conditioned twice after washing, mimicking a deep condition. My washing method and styling method links are in my signature.

eadwine
May 14th, 2014, 08:18 AM
As I am currently trying stuff out to find a new routine I am washing more often than my normal once a week routine, but once I find what works I am going to see what works best, which is likely at most twice a week :)

Cowgirl16
May 14th, 2014, 04:16 PM
..wash your hair? Weekly; usually on Saturday or Sunday. I will occasionally wash it during the week if I have plans or it feels dirty. I usually wash it more in the summer.

..deep condition your hair? I used to deep condition quite regularly; however I have been really lazy about it as of late; I will probably deep condition more this summer.

..use a hot oil treatment? never

..etc?? (any other things I'm missing?) I S&D maybe 2-4 times a month,

mira-chan
May 14th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I wash my hair once a week, deep condition rarely as I don't have time or it's too cold. I don't use hot oil treatment but I oil for a couple hours before wash.

StickyMane
May 14th, 2014, 07:50 PM
...wash your hair?
2 times a week.. but it's summer so who knows, maybe once every 5-10 days.

I use coconut oil and/or grapeseed oil before every wash.. usually the night before, but if not... a few hours before. It's made a noticeable difference in regards to the dryness of my length.

Never have, probably won't.

Since your hair is stick straight, it's probably different from mine. But if your hair is dry at the ends and your hair is otherwise pretty healthy.. try oiling the day before washing.

openeyeddreamer
July 22nd, 2014, 08:28 PM
I love threads like these where we can see each others routines. :) OP what is your routine now?

Sorry it took soo long for me to reply! I use a deep conditioning treatment and a hot oil treatment once a week. Sometimes I use coconut oil or olive oil for hot oil treatments, and other times, I use the ones found in Dollar Tree! lol I've stretched my washes to 1-2 x's a week! I try to use a leave-in conditioner every day, and I need to get a satin pillow case! But for now, I just put a hair bonnet on haha :)

AmberJewel
July 22nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
I do CO wash twice a week, sometimes with a coconut/olive oil pre-poo, sometimes not. No deep conditioning, but I occasionally heat the oil though and mix with honey... I'm considering stretching washes farther, maybe to once a week to see how it goes. Can anyone suggest a good routine for fine, thin- ish hair with dry scalp and low priority?

spirals
July 22nd, 2014, 11:49 PM
..wash your hair? I try to go 4 or 5 days, but if an itchy scalp calls for more frequent washing, I obey.

..deep condition your hair? I used to do overnight oil soaks, but have fallen out of the habit.

..use a hot oil treatment? Never. I do occasionally oil the ends and brush through them, then the rest to get some oil all over.

..etc?? (any other things I'm missing?) Scalp spray: for itchies, I use an aspirin/acid/salt solution in a little spray bottle.

Akville
July 23rd, 2014, 12:59 AM
..wash your hair? Once a week, sometimes is an SLS shampoo, sometimes its a shampoo bar and sometimes its conditioner wash.. It depends..

..deep condition your hair? sometimes not often..

..use a hot oil treatment? every wash!!! its essential i my hair care routine.. go for at least an hour before washing it out with my warm cap...

..etc?? leave In is important to my ends... I use to spray leave in to my lengths almost every morning after I brush my hair...

kganihanova
July 23rd, 2014, 07:06 AM
Wash? Whenever it needs it.
Deep condition? Do pre poo oilings count?
Etc: leave in everytime I wash
Trim? Whenever it needs it

Akville
July 23rd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Wash? Once a week. Probably going to start trying to stretch it even more than that. It's a process, haha.

Deep Condition? I use coconut oil overnight once a week, before I wash it. Not quite the same thing, but close enough, I figure.

Hot oil? I've never tried hot oil.

Other? I put a leave-in in after I wash my hair. I oil the ends of my braid before I go to bed a couple times a week. No set schedule for it, it's pretty much based on whether I remember to do it or not.

I use tea-tree oil on my scalp as needed, it's really dry where I live. Depends on the weather how often - sometimes every week, sometimes not for a whole month. Same with clarifying, I just clarify when my ends get gunky. About every ... six weeks to two months or so, I'd guess.

I keep it pretty simple. The more elaborate, the more likely I am to space something, so I try to keep it pretty minimal and intuitive. Hair is dirty - wash it. Hair is not dirty - do not wash it. Hair is gunky - clarify. Hair is not gunky - do not clarify. And so on.

I'm so lazy, I can't handle much else, lol.
I couldn't even dream about stretching my washes longer then once a week ... Impossible.. :)

skeletonous
July 23rd, 2014, 07:32 AM
I currently CO wash my hair every other day and use WO in between.

I don't deep condition my hair yet because it's decently short, but maybe my coconut oil usage counts.

I use coconut oil as a treatment on my hair maybe every other week before I CO wash.

skeletonous
July 23rd, 2014, 07:33 AM
oops double post!

emilia1992
July 23rd, 2014, 08:00 AM
..wash your hair?
Every. Single. Day. I've tried stretching washes (during secondary school, over several years(!)), and nothing happened. My hair gets so oily, on the second day, if you laid a palm on top of my head, it would come away with a greasy sheen. (isn't that nice?)

Hardly ever, although I do use a leave-in conditioner every day.

Never used one.

I do do a gelatin treatment every week or so. My hair loves protein, though some people find it drying.

I guess my haircare routine is one of those which just seems so wrong, yet works for me. Though I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, ha ha!

sarahthegemini
July 23rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
..wash your hair?

Thanks for your help!!

1) I co-wash my hair daily with Asda Essentials Green Apple conditioner, and follow up with Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume as a leave in
2) Never
3) Never

I like my routine to be as simple as possible. And I don't deep condition as I don't see the point - results are largely aesthetic.

bonbon58
July 23rd, 2014, 01:20 PM
I wash every other day with shampoo and conditioner, +1 day if I'm lazy.
I only deep condition when I remember to our if I feel like my hair needs it
No hot oils
I use a hair serum after washes. Doesn't seem like it helps much though.

I've tried putting EVOO in my hair before washing, but it's very oily, doesn't improve my hair, and I can't wash it out. Hoping to try coconut oil next!

MaryRose
July 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
My hair care routine is simple. I wash and condition everyday in the summer and try to stretch washes in the winter to every other day. Due to the heat in summer or static in winter, I keep my hair up in a bun and scrunchy. If I remember, I will put on a leave-in and that's about it.

DaniJoy
July 23rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
I probably shampoo and conditioner every three days.

Deep condition maybe once or twice a month or if I feel my hair needs it.

No hot oils. Sometimes oil ends of dry hair with coconut/jojoba/castor whichever I have at the moment.

Multi vitamin + hair skin nails + lots of veggies and fruit + water.

jupiterinleo
July 23rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
..wash your hair?
Once a week, with a shampoo bar/vinegar rinse

I haven't needed to since I switched back to shampoo bars, but before it was once a month at most

Never did one.

I BBB nearly every day and I find it makes a HUGE difference for me. I used to get a horribly itchy scalp when going more than 4 days without washing, and now my scalp barely itches at all.
Everyone's hair likes different things. Keep trying things to figure out what works. It might take forever, but the experience is fun. :D

spirals
July 23rd, 2014, 08:26 PM
I forgot to say search & destroy and also that my everyday brush is a BBB/plastic bristle combo, so it gets BBB'd every day. I have curly hair but I wear it wavy.

MINAKO
July 23rd, 2014, 08:55 PM
I CO wash once a week, use a prepoo mix of molasses and oil everytime and also DC afterwards.
Then i usually LOC once a day which adds up quiet a good amount of product until the next wash day.

About the hot oil treatment i always think its ok to not warm up the oil and just wear a shower cap so it gets to body temperature.

That only goes for my hair tho, wich is dry and thick and coarse on top, so wherever you are standing now with your routine, try new things and see what works for the needs of your hair. Some people are fine with very little product and have amazing hair.

Madora
July 23rd, 2014, 09:25 PM
..wash your hair?

Thanks for your help!!

I wash my hair once a month (using one tablespoon of George Michael Salon Pink Crème shampoo (diluted)

I don't believe in putting anything else on my hair/scalp as my daily brushing takes care of everything. I'm of the opinion that "less is more" when it comes to beautiful, healthy hair.

Not everything works for everyone but in general try not to overload your hair with oils, oil treatments, etc. The more stuff you put on your hair, the more stuff it will pick up from the atmosphere, meaning you'll need to shampoo it more frequently.

Ideally, if you can learn to stretch your shampooings, the better it will be for your hair. Naturally, if you have oily hair, you will need to wash more frequently.

Be sure you are eating properly and getting enough water. Some folks here (myself included) use Vitamin supplements to aid in hair health. If you take supplements, don't over do it!

The hardest thing to cope with is waiting for your hair to grow longer. Just be patient and gentle with your hair and you'll see results soon. You might want to try S and Ding (use SHARP scissors!) to keep those white dots and split ends at bay.

Also, try and wear your hair up to protect the delicate ends. Avoid ponytail holders if at all possible! Good luck on your journey, openeyeddreamer!

Panth
July 24th, 2014, 11:48 AM
..wash your hair?

Thanks for your help!!

I think this reflects a common misconception about good haircare. IMO, it's not what you do but what you don't do that really makes the difference. Most notable, don't (or minimise): bleaching, dyeing (except deposit-only dyes), perms, chemical straightening, "keratin treatments" / "Brazilian blowouts", teasing/backcombing, hairspray, gel, brushing (for most people/hairtypes), damaging hairstyles, etc.

Incidentally, I wash my hair 2-3x a week (S&C - Boots Naturals shampoo and L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore 5 conditioner), I have never deep conditioned it or used a hot oil treatment. The only "other" things I do is clarify and chelate as needed (every few months for me) and S&D if I get very bored. Oh, and most importantly, wear protective updos (for me, a braided cinnabun with spinpins) daily. I use a wide-toothed comb to detangle (once daily) and never do rushed/stressed/angry detangling. That's it.

Akville
July 25th, 2014, 05:01 AM
I wash my hair once a month (using one tablespoon of George Michael Salon Pink Crème shampoo (diluted)

I don't believe in putting anything else on my hair/scalp as my daily brushing takes care of everything. I'm of the opinion that "less is more" when it comes to beautiful, healthy hair.

Not everything works for everyone but in general try not to overload your hair with oils, oil treatments, etc. The more stuff you put on your hair, the more stuff it will pick up from the atmosphere, meaning you'll need to shampoo it more frequently.

Ideally, if you can learn to stretch your shampooings, the better it will be for your hair. Naturally, if you have oily hair, you will need to wash more frequently.

Be sure you are eating properly and getting enough water. Some folks here (myself included) use Vitamin supplements to aid in hair health. If you take supplements, don't over do it!

The hardest thing to cope with is waiting for your hair to grow longer. Just be patient and gentle with your hair and you'll see results soon. You might want to try S and Ding (use SHARP scissors!) to keep those white dots and split ends at bay.

Also, try and wear your hair up to protect the delicate ends. Avoid ponytail holders if at all possible! Good luck on your journey, openeyeddreamer!

this one was god!!!..
very good answer

Akville
July 25th, 2014, 05:03 AM
..wash your hair?
Every. Single. Day. I've tried stretching washes (during secondary school, over several years(!)), and nothing happened. My hair gets so oily, on the second day, if you laid a palm on top of my head, it would come away with a greasy sheen. (isn't that nice?)

Hardly ever, although I do use a leave-in conditioner every day.

Never used one.

I do do a gelatin treatment every week or so. My hair loves protein, though some people find it drying.

I guess my haircare routine is one of those which just seems so wrong, yet works for me. Though I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, ha ha!

yes it would be totally wrong for me :)

Akville
July 25th, 2014, 06:08 AM
I was thinking about this washing thing..
why is it good to wash hair and why is it bad to not ash it? I mean is it bad to have dirt on hair? or maybe it protects the hair from damage? I use to wash once a week but I've read an article about how bad is it to wash your hair and how does it swell because och wrong pH and stuff like that...

my hair is so grease and dirty after a week of not washing I cant bear it any more... but still don't know if maybe its better to have this oily and greasy stuff, then wash the thing out because of the damage washing makes to my hair..

what do you think?

Ambystoma
July 25th, 2014, 10:09 PM
..wash your hair? every 3 days pretty much - although if it feels and looks ok I'll stretch to 4

..deep condition your hair? once every 2 weeks after using a chelating/clarifying shampoo, although all I do differently is just leave my regular conditioner on for half an hour under a shower cap and warm towel.

..use a hot oil treatment? never - my hair hates oils :(

Trimming - once a month since I'm maintaining my length, so I trim all my growth (roughly 1")

Combing - once or twice a day with a wide tooth comb, and I comb before every wash too.

Shibe
July 25th, 2014, 10:23 PM
..wash your hair? About 3 times a week

..deep condition your hair? I'm doing castor oil treatments once a week

..use a hot oil treatment? I have never used hot oil, might have to try it

..etc?? I bun my hair every night, and S&D daily

Katrina
July 26th, 2014, 04:38 AM
How often do you wash your hair?
- Once every 7-12 days depending on how my hair looks and how busy I am.

- Never.

- Never. I put coconut oil on damp hair after washing it and between washes, if it feels like it needs it.

Usually I just wash my hair with a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar, use some Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner, take a white wine vinegar rinse, put some coconut oil on damp ends and length, let hair airdry and put it up and forget about it. No sulphates and no cones. I sleep with a braid. That's it. Very simple.

pixldust
July 26th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I wash every three days, though I'd love to get it down to once a week.
I don't deep condition, mainly through laziness. I should give it a go though even if it's only once a month.
I don't hot oil, just use room temp castor/olive oil as an over night pre-poo then olive on damp ends after washing.
I let my hair air dry, then detangle it, then put it up. I try to comb/manipulate it as little as possible, partly to minimise mechanical damage and partly because my hair seems to get greasy more quickly if it's messed about with a lot. I plait it for bed the same reasons.

Katyusha
July 26th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I wash my hair every five days with cone and SLS free shampoo. I was wondering how do you even count days? For example: I'll wash my hair on Monday and than again on Friday. How many days is that then? :hmm:

After wash I always use cone free conditioner. I leave it on my hair depending on how much time do I have. 5 minutes to half an hour.

I don't use hot oil. But I almost always put oil on my hair before washing. I leave it on over night. I use different kinds of oil and put them on mixed together or one by one. The ones I use are: coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba oil and macadamia oil. I use jojoba or shea butter on damp hair if I need it.

That is pretty much it :)

Nadine <3
July 26th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I wash my hair when it's dirty. Usually every 3-4 days for me.

I deep condition when my hair feels dry... Not very often since starting the LOC method, but every once in awhile I'll spread some CO oil on the length, braid it and sleep on it. The next night I'll wet my hair and put two good sized gobs of sauve condish in it and leave it while I derp around on the internet. After that I shower normally. This happens maybe twice a year...

Never have, probably never will.

I'm pretty lazy about my hair...I do the bare minimum and my hair likes it. The only thing I HAVE to follow is no cones. My hair hates them.

Akville
July 29th, 2014, 10:36 AM
why is it good to wash hair and why is it bad to not ash it? I mean is it bad to have dirt on hair? or maybe it protects the hair from damage? I use to wash once a week but I've read an article about how bad is it to wash your hair and how does it swell because och wrong pH and stuff like that...

my hair is so grease and dirty after a week of not washing I cant bear it any more... but still don't know if maybe its better to have this oily and greasy stuff, then wash the thing out because of the damage washing makes to my hair..

what do you think?

Anybody? no one? hmm...

Panth
August 3rd, 2014, 06:59 AM

what do you think?

Anybody? no one? hmm...

It depends what you're talking about with "dirt". Do you mean actual physical grime? Or do you mean sebum? Sebum is your hair's natural oil and yes, it is good for your hair.

That said, why most people recommend reducing wash frequency is due to three things:

1) Healthier scalp. Modern shampoos (particularly SLS-containing ones) are very stripping and can dry out the scalp skin. Daily washing with strong shampoos can cause or exacerbate scalp problems (e.g. eczema) and without a healthy scalp you won't have good hair growth.

2) Less weathering of the hair. Every time your hair gets wet it swells slightly (like most things do when they absorb water). Over time, this swelling/shrinking can cause microscopic, gradually-building-up damage called hygral fatigue. Hygral fatigue happens with water in general - it's not based on pH. However, you can get additional damage from using products that are not pH-balanced to maintain happy scalp skin (or from products, e.g. baking soda, that are of an extreme enough pH to cause chemical damage to the hair). Also, shampoos/other cleansing products (especially strong shampoos that contain SLS) can cause more weathering of the hair. All of this damage is tiny, but cumulative. For people aiming for short/medium hair lengths it's likely never to build up enough to be a problem, but for those aiming for super-long lengths (or who already have damage for other reasons), reducing this source of cumulative tiny damage may be helpful.

3) Ease. Many (but emphatically NOT all) people who "need" to wash daily do so because their scalp is accustomed to daily washes (often with SLS-containing shampoo and thus quite stripping). Thus, their scalp over-produces sebum to help counter this, resulting in rapidly greasy-looking hair. In these people, training their scalp out of this habit (by gradually stretching washes) is good - it enables a less-greasy looking scalp and reduced wash frequency, which can be good for aesthetic, time-conserving, money-conserving and other reasons.

There are also reasons people may not want to stretch washes, e.g.:

1) Having actually dirty hair. People who work in dirty environments (e.g. farmers, mechanics, tradespeople, etc.) may get actual dirt (as opposed to just sebum) in their hair that may need washing out frequently. People who work in odorous environments (e.g. chefs) may find they need to wash their hair frequently to minimise odour-retention in the hair. People who regularly exercise heavily may also need to wash their hair frequently to remove sweat (though often a water-only wash is sufficient for this, and can be less damaging than one with a cleansing agent).

2) Having seborrheic dermatitis or a similar condition. SD is exacerbated by stretching washes, as the malassezia yeast which is often the cause eat saturated fatty acids. These fatty acids are found in sebum, so you want to keep a minimum amount of sebum on the scalp, to minimise yeast growth. Washing regularly does this. It's also the reason why oiling (and particularly scalp oiling) is very much not recommended for people with SD.

3) Aesthetic. Some people like the 'fluffier', more voluminous look of freshly-washed hair (or the scent of their shampoo/conditioner, or whatever) and thus wash it more regularly than strictly necessary to keep up an aesthetic that they like and enjoy.

peachyleshy
August 3rd, 2014, 07:04 AM
I wash my hair about every other day and I pre-oil before every wash. Occasionally I'll use a little conditioner before my final rinse and sometimes a little oil to leave in.