PDA

View Full Version : The urge to do something with your hair

LauraLongLocks
May 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Back in my short-haired days, I would get the urge to do something with my hair, and I would, on a whim walk past a salon and just pop right in and get something done to it. Or, I would just hack it off at home. I was extremely impulsive, and never happy with my hair. When I grew it to MBL, I would go in for trims when I got the urge to do something and just tell the hairdresser to cut off whatever she thought needed to come off. Yet, I wanted longer hair. I just didn't know what to ask for at the salon. So it never got longer than MBL, and then I impulsively cut it off to a pixie in May 2008. My kids and I had lice, and I had no one big enough to pick through my head, and thought there was no way I could do it myself. Didn't even consider looking up ways to handle your own lice picking online. That would have been smart. There are ways to do it yourself. I just didn't know.

Now that I am growing it long again (I'm at my longest EVER now!), I still get the urge to do something every now and then. I want to fiddle with my hair, and want a change every once in a while. The way I have been fulfilling that urge is to do an S&D session, a deep conditioning treatment, henna/cassia, learning new hair styles, and buying hair toys. The urge passes and I feel like I did something good for my hair instead of whacking it all off. That's a pretty nice change. Putting myself on an actual trim schedule has really helped, too. I know exactly when my next trim will be (January 2015). That decision has been made and I won't change my plans, barring any unforeseen circumstances. I also know exactly how much I'm going to take off at that trim (1 inch). This has really kept me from impulsively cutting every time I feel the direction of the wind change.

Off to do another S&D! :)

irishlady
May 8th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Wow I'm so glad you posted this! I'm incredibly impulsive with my hair, and always regret it afterwards, so you have some really good ideas for handling that problem. Thanks! :-D

Nadine <3
May 8th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Ha, whenever I feel like I want to do something to my hair I ask my roommate if I can do hers. She loves it when I put crazy braids in it and I even dye the ends fun colors for her. By the time I'm done with her hair, the last thing I want to do is more hair :)

MadeiraD
May 8th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I buy hair toys/hair pieces for this urge, and change the color of my fringe compulsively. I also find doing a roller set or deep conditioning treatment really helps.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Yes, sometimes I feel a bit bored with mine and then it's time to invoke the 2 week rule. Because I know that if I do anything I will invariably regret it. So I just put it up and do my best to forget about it until I am happy with it again.

Aderyn
May 8th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I don't really have the urge to go cut my hair drastically, though when I get the hair urges, I usually just end up buying hair toys and obsessively checking LHC and YouTube videos about long hair. Occasionally I will start experimenting with new hair care methods and regimes just to see how it works (though I'm a bit more reluctant to do this nowadays as I would have to dedicate a month or more to a specific change in order to feel as though I had a "complete" experience).

chen bao jun
May 8th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I never have the urge to change my hair. I am a boring person at heart. Every time my hair was changed drastically it was some one else's (hairdressers) idea and I cried for days. I hated it when it was unnatural (chemically straightened) and am completely happy in buns day after day, with it out for special occasions. I am always surprised reading on the forum that others are tempted to 'do something' with their hair because I never wanted to do anything at all with mine. I leave that to my sister (a chronic experimenter with wig pieces, weaves, all kind of ways of straightening, different textures and different dos. She never dyes though and she never cuts much. And she takes superb care of her hair in spite of all the experiments.)

spidermom
May 8th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I was the same way, impulsive. I found that it helped to put myself on a trimming schedule like you did.

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I used to do wild temporary colors. I found the Demi permeate colors. Then I got a bling strand it lasted for months. I loved it. I still want to do something wild and crazy with my hair. I did change my bangs I went from pixie bangs to triangle ones. I love them. I know me I will probably try news ones. I like to change things too I'm not real impulsive. Even when I got my pixie bangs I waited a few days.

CousinItt
May 8th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I'm totally impulsive. I used to cut and often colour my hair when I got bored with it. I still cut myself bangs when I feel that way (why?). Lately, to ease thesnipping urge, I've been experimenting with flat twists, twist outs, corn rows, braid outs, and hairdos inspired by the show vikings.

I have discovered, nothing gives root volume like a good twist out from flat twists.

ErinLeigh
May 8th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Ha, whenever I feel like I want to do something to my hair I ask my roommate if I can do hers. She loves it when I put crazy braids in it and I even dye the ends fun colors for her. By the time I'm done with her hair, the last thing I want to do is more hair :)

That is a great idea!! I would be sick of doing hair after doing someone else's. I need either new friends who are adventurous, or a mannequin head. I would love to get a dummy head with my hair color and test strand it with different henna mixes.

I product shop when bored with hair. I go online and read ingredients and reviews for deep treatments, conditioners, leave in's etc..I practice new ways to get volume if super bored or look at pictures of different colors to fantasize about.
I really don't want any major changes with hair except for the condition to continually improve so my being bored is pretty safe except for the cost of buying new "wonder treatments."

Chen, your post hit home. I like a certain style and never want to change it really. My changes have only been because of stylist decisions/error.

Larki
May 8th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I never have the urge to change my hair. I am a boring person at heart. Every time my hair was changed drastically it was some one else's (hairdressers) idea and I cried for days. I hated it when it was unnatural (chemically straightened) and am completely happy in buns day after day, with it out for special occasions. I am always surprised reading on the forum that others are tempted to 'do something' with their hair because I never wanted to do anything at all with mine. I leave that to my sister (a chronic experimenter with wig pieces, weaves, all kind of ways of straightening, different textures and different dos. She never dyes though and she never cuts much. And she takes superb care of her hair in spite of all the experiments.)
I feel the exact same way, Chen.

höpönasu
May 9th, 2014, 03:56 AM
I've been having this urge to go and get layers. And also getting a fresh shoulder length cut. Bangs... I just can't decide what to do with them. I'd love to get a teeny tiny trim done in a salon but I don't trust hair salons anymore.

momschicklets
May 9th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Reading this leads me to believe I'm boring too! LOL I don't think I've ever had the urge to do anything like try crazy colors, shave my head bald, do extreme hair styles...nothin. I might change my part if I'm feeling really rebellious :p The fact that I cut my hair at 40 was drastic and impulsive in my book and I've regretted it ever since! Now I really tend to focus (read: obsess) about the condition of my hair. I want it to be glistening shiny, soft, very healthy...stuff like that. So I'm much more inclined to be impulsive in the product department...I will walk by the shampoo aisle and be like "oooohhhh a new conditioner!" And BAM! Another product in my cart.....yep....livin on the wild side.

lapushka
May 9th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Before it got to BSL, I got the urge to cut *every* spring. Don't know why, just... Then I got a horrible dye experience (chemical cut, chemical burn on the scalp, etc.) and had to have it cut back into a bob because of it. From then on I swore off dye, and it grew, and grew, and grew past BSL and... well the urge still sometimes pops up, but it's like gone before I even realize it. I'm much more into getting to TBL by Christmas this year, it seems. I've gotten to really *love* my hair long.

PrincessPhoebe
May 9th, 2014, 06:28 AM
This is a great idea:

I really haven't had the urge to cut/dye whilst I've been growing it this time. I think (and hope!) I got all of that out of my system when I was younger. If I did feel the urge I think I'd be off to etsy for some new hair toys.

MINAKO
May 9th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I would never dare to expiriment with colors beyond indigo and some blueish temporary dye, but i do get the urge to cut it frequently. But i'm lazy and the buns are such a great option for that, so i have to remind myself and also watch some inspiring long hair videos like this one.

http://youtu.be/Pk_mai7IRcs

kaydana
May 9th, 2014, 10:32 AM
If I start getting an urge to do something with my hair, it usually means it's henna time. Henna always makes me fall in love with my hair all over again.

MaryO
May 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Wow, many impulsive hair changers over here! ;-) I also used to be one of you guys. Since joining LHC I have been in recovery for that and actually grown to APL without doing anything stupid to it. My hair has become so precious to me that I'm waiting until at least MBL to have it cut into some kind of style and I seriously don't think I'd ever colour it again. I think about concequences now...

pixldust
May 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I used to be really impulsive with my hair, I hated having my hair looking the same way for more than a few monthsso I'd often get it cut, shave bits, have a fringe or change the colour entirely on a whim. Although I don't really feel that desire to experiment with my hair much any more, I'm not entirely immune. I recently saw a girl who had both sides shaved, like I used to have, and it gave me a pang. I almost wanted to reach for the clippers. But then I reminded myself of how long it's taken to get my undercuts to chin length, and how awkward it was when they were long enough to fluff out from my head but too short to pin back. I tell myself that what can be done in a few minutes on a whim can takes months, if not years, of work to undo. That tactic seems to work now.

höpönasu
May 9th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I would never dare to expiriment with colors beyond indigo and some blueish temporary dye, but i do get the urge to cut it frequently. But i'm lazy and the buns are such a great option for that, so i have to remind myself and also watch some inspiring long hair videos like this one.

If I could have any hairtype in the world it would be Asian. I love Asian hair! Silky, smooth and straight. :o

blue_eyes
May 9th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I'm an impulsive dyer/bleacher, especially if I was stressed or unhappy. I'd think "I need a change!" and for some reason that change always had to be my hair, haha.

I'd had a dyed, burgundy bob that I grew to nearly APL. I was sick of the upkeep of red dye and, on an impulse, dyed it black (at home) with permanent dye. I didn't think, for a second, how hard it would be to get rid of black if I wanted to. And of course, eventually I wanted to. I was very unhappy with life in general and decided I wanted to be blonde. I went back and forth between permanent black dye and attempts to go blonde for several years, always just on a whim because I was unhappy/stressed. It never worked, it always looked awful, but I never learned until my hair broke off in chunks. It was so terrifying that I haven't touched it with chemicals since. But even after all that I still find myself getting the urge to dye it; I try to curb it by using a deep conditioning treatment instead.

MINAKO
May 9th, 2014, 12:43 PM
If I could have any hairtype in the world it would be Asian. I love Asian hair! Silky, smooth and straight. :o

Yeah, i was blessed with the thickness and growth rate due to being mixed, but unfortunately mine isn't as shiny and tangle free, even if i straighten it. But i will forever be drooling over this kind of hair , like 1a C iii+i in classic length and the darkest shade of black is my ultimate goal. If i ever want to get there i just have to keep staying away from scissors and chemical hair coloring as far as i can.

alessandraa
May 9th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I am crazy impulsive with my hair, this is the longest I have not touched it. It's been approx. 6 months, and I am determined to keep it that way!

meteor
May 9th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Years ago, I used to have a highlighting addiction and it definitely made my hair dry, frizzy and difficult to manage.

These days, I try to channel my boredom with hair into something relatively hair-friendly.
I look for new products, combine products differently or do new deep treatments when I get bored with hair.
I also learn new hairstyles when I want a change. I think if you want to avoid going scissor-happy, it's important to find new ways of styling hair.

soothsayer
May 9th, 2014, 05:00 PM
I went from never doing much of anything to my hair to getting really impulsive once I started growing it seriously for the first time. My hair would probably be beyond my waist now if I hadn't gotten bored and had someone cut me short, u-shaped Bettie fringe. Rather than growing them out to fit with my longer hair, I got a pixie cut. To grow out the pixie cut "evenly", I used clippers and buzzed my hair! No more of that for me.

Like you suggested, I sublimate that urge now by being more constructive. I've done braids, pin curls, and attempts at complicated updos. Anything to keep away from scissors!

chen bao jun
May 9th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I love the different types of Asian hair (there isn't only one) but it wouldn't look good on me! I look horrible with straight hair, sleek hair, doesn't suit my face. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

seamstress
May 9th, 2014, 11:05 PM
I tend to change my hair color every few months. I want to do something with my hair again, but I'm really fond of my current color. I'm thinking I may learn some updos or make myself some sort of hair decorations or something.

Nymphea
June 4th, 2014, 11:34 AM
From time to time I get the urge to trim. On the one hand, I'd like my hair to be longer all the time. On the other hand, I like the feeling of fresh ends and thicker hemline. And I like change (but not extreme change).

I try to control myself with two week rules, trimming no more than 1 inch (my personal favorite trim length is 3 inches - it's enough for me to feel the drastic change and yet not to feel it as so drastic, if you understand what I'm trying to say) and trying to completely forget about my hair. Once I forgot on it almost for a year and I was very pleased! :D

Mainesongbird
June 5th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I'm the same way. Mine is the longest it's ever been but sometimes, I think I would loved a long bob, but then I reconsider...

Feathered
June 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM

This is great. Great distraction. Made me giggle. I've learned to find something else to "destroy" and leave my hair alone. I used to go get perms when I got itchy for a new do. I always regretted that about a month later. Then I had to wait to grow it out and chop off the damage. You'd think I'd learn the first time. I don't know why I would expect different results the next time. Isn't that the definition of insanity? That explains a lot.

höpönasu
June 5th, 2014, 12:19 PM
*slowly putting scissors away*
I want to trim so bad!

Nymphea
June 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM
*slowly putting scissors away*
I want to trim so bad!

Uuuuuugh, me too! Today I saw a ton of split ends in my hair which are not so bad as they sound, but they distract me so much now when I try not to trim! Agh!

*not.going.to.get.scissors*

StephanieP3
June 5th, 2014, 02:01 PM

This is exactly the texture I wish I had! But ever since I moved to Florida and my scalp and hair dried out it's frizzy, dry and blech.

I've been feeling the same way lately. I have been wanting to cut 5-6 inches off, i'm somewhere between bsl and mbl. It doesn't help that I feel like my dry scalp would be more easily managed if I had shorter hair. And I keep seeing shows and movies with Lara Flynn Boyle and I looove her short, slightly curled hair, and I get envious and wanna chop!!