PDA

View Full Version : How 'tight' should a hair stick/fork feel?

sarahthegemini
May 8th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Hi guys, I have a new 2-pronged hair stick/fork (given to me by a member here :)) I managed to secure a bun last night with it (my hair was very dirty - dunno if that has anything to do with it) All day today I have struggled to secure a bun, it literally fell right out (my hair is freshly washed so very very slippery) so I gave up til just now. I just about got it but it felt fairly loose. How tight should it feel? I'm used to pony tails so I've no idea....TIA!

darklyndsea
May 8th, 2014, 04:47 PM
It depends on the bun. Some of them feel kind of loose but are actually pretty secure. It definitely shouldn't be tight enough to cause you pain.

Aderyn
May 8th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Not tight enough to be pulling on the hairs and causing discomfort on the scalp, but not loose enough that it's falling out.

Varies on the bun and the specific hair toy in question. Can take a bit of time to figure out how to get a secure, comfortable hold with new styles of hair toys. Just have to practice a bit. :p

embee
May 8th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Snug. It's easy to get a hairfork too tight if you're used to making the bun with a stick. But you are starting from ground zero, so you want the bun to stay, not slip or flop, and not pull or hurt.

Practice. One of these days it will be automatic. :)

chen bao jun
May 8th, 2014, 06:41 PM
It shouldn't feel tight at all, but it shouldn't be moving around, much less falling out.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2014, 07:38 PM
It shouldn't feel tight, but on the other hand it shouldn't be floppy or move around when you shake your head. It certainly shouldn't be tight enough to be painful at all or pull any hairs out.

MadeiraD
May 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
It should feel "solid" but not tight

Jumper
May 8th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I'm currently wearing my hair down or in a braid because my scalp was so sore from wearing a too tight bun/hair fork 4 days in a row.

So... Don't do that! I am not tender headed either, I just put them in really really tight. It was comfortable too right up until it wasn't.

lazuliblue
May 9th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Hi guys, I have a new 2-pronged hair stick/fork (given to me by a member here :)) I managed to secure a bun last night with it (my hair was very dirty - dunno if that has anything to do with it) All day today I have struggled to secure a bun, it literally fell right out (my hair is freshly washed so very very slippery) so I gave up til just now. I just about got it but it felt fairly loose. How tight should it feel? I'm used to pony tails so I've no idea....TIA!

I recently got my first hair sticks and I have found that 'just-brushed' hair won't stay in them. I have to mess it up a bit and THEN use the hair stick! Also, if you put the stick through the hair that is close to your scalp as well as hair that makes up the bun, that can help it stay.

two_wheels
May 9th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I find freshly washed difficult too... If you watch YouTube bun tutorials, you'll notice they often shake their head at the end. That is what you do to make sure it's secure. Ideally you can't feel it and it doesn't move when you shake your head. But I braid freshly washed hair for that very reason, it just won't stay at this length.

MINAKO
May 9th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I try to get the hairs on the scalp to lay flat, while not pulling too tight. The weight of the bun alone is enough to lift my eyebrows and slightly enlarge my forehead tho, lol.

Crabbyco
May 9th, 2014, 06:44 AM
It should feel secure, not uncomfortable and not falling out. It sounds counter productive but at shorter lengths my buns stayed better with a looser wrap. Until you get the feel of it right, you could use a spin pin to help anchor the bun.