PDA

View Full Version : I lost 4 inches

RavenDream
September 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Im a bit of a dye addict. Every 2 months I've dyed with Natural Instincts since my hair tends to lighten a lot in the sun. For the first time in years I highlighted in March. I kept using temp dyes but chose to cover the highlights in August with Garnier Nutrisse.

Well when I'm going through something I tend to take it out on my hair, so I bought an at home highlighting kit and slapped it on. Well 20 minutes in to the 45mins, my hair melted off. Melted! I picked up a piece to check the color and it came off in my hands. My hair went from hip to a little longer than BSL. I'm in mourning of this sudden hair loss.

I need some help now on how to nurture my hair. What is left seems normal, but my hair also seemed normal before.

wintersun99
September 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM

lora410
September 16th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I am sorry to hear of you delema. It seems you may have gotten to the scare we all get to before we lay off the bad stuff. I have to admit melting your hair is wicked scary. I oil, no dye, no heat, and I do henna. All of these have saved my hair.

SHELIAANN1969
September 16th, 2008, 09:46 AM
All I can offer is sympathy :grouphug: I would have died on the spot, there wouldn't have been any subsequent posts.

I am in shock for you, all I can say is NO MORE DYE whatsoever, and use lots of deep conditioning treatments and conditioners.

renarok
September 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't have much good advice. Maybe trim it to neaten the hemline and treat it with more TLC. I color my hair because I am only going to go grey kicking and screaming. Find a really good colorist. I found a really good guy and I am confident that my hair will remain healthy because he understands my desire for healthy length.

What color are you aiming for?

Shanarana
September 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
That's just awful, so sorry for that happening to you. Don't dye your hair anymore. If you want a color change look into henna.......that's what I did because I also do not plan to go gray.

FrannyG
September 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Oh this is not good news at all. I'm so sorry about this. :grouphug:

I strongly suggest that you invest in some Joico K-pak reconstructor. It is perfect for this kind of problem. Let you hair soak in it for a good hour. (I believe Sally's has a cheaper version of this product, if you have a Sally's near you).

Then, make sure you do lots of deep moisture treatments like SMTs. Oil your hair slightly at all times, and try to keep your hair up as much as you can.

Nothing will ever make your hair return to its virgin state, but you can make the best of it.

Good luck with it. :blossom:

Nyghtingale
September 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hugs (). I am so sorry that happened to you.
I had a dying incident years ago while trying to be Baby Spice for Halloween (don't ask), and wound up with at least 4 different colors and burns on my scalp. I had to go around like that for 2 weeks while my scalp healed. :pumpkin:

RavenDream
September 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm still in shock. My only hair vice is dye. I haven't heat styled in years and CO twice a week with heavy oilings the night before. I'm going to go to Sally's when I have a chance and buy some protein treatments.

I just got back from the salon and had my hemline evened up. Luckily, with a deep v taper I'm still at waist, so on overall length it's only 2 inches that appears to the world to be lost.

SweetPea88
September 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :grouphug: I'm glad to hear that your trim went well and you were able to save most of your hair. I don't have much more to add except the advice already given (protein treatments and SMTs) but just wanted to offer some support! :flower:

Deborah
September 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Oh! I am so sorry you had to go through this. I hope your hair recovers well, and grows quickly.

Kirin
September 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I feel so badly for you, I can so relate to your stress...... it happened to me about two years ago after trying to bleach out brown hair dye as well.

Baby your hair, don't worry to much on natural or chemical hair treatments at the moment.....just give it plenty of protein and moisture!

RavennaNight
September 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
:hugs: Im sorry this happened to you. At least you got the hemline adjusted at the salon and you are happy with that. Pamper Pamper Pamper. Possibly henna? It will grow back, and healthier this time! :)

serenitygal
September 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
You poor baby! Pamper your hair AND yourself! I'm not there, and I can't see your hair, AND I'm not a professional, but let me say this: I have the same problem with lightening in the sun. I like my hair rather dark brown with a little red; naturally, I'm a medium/dark brown with just a hint of red, and the red goes away and the hair lightens to light brown with blonde highlights in the summer. I do not like that look on me at all. I do color, but I use a semi-permanent stain that I get at Sally's. No ammonia, peroxide, etc. To be perfectly honest, I have not noticed any damage after using it, though I have rather coarse hair anyhow so it might be that someone with finer hair would see more damage. It's called "hc beautiful collection," and Clairol Professionals is the manufacturer. Maybe at some point when your hair is a bit less damaged, you could use something similar?
In any case, I'm glad the stylist could fix your hair, albeit not give back the length. Take care of YOU, and remember that if it's only a couple of inches, the world will probably not notice anything except the layers.
:flowers: