PDA

View Full Version : "Your hair is SO LONG!" Uh... Thank you?

Beka27
May 7th, 2014, 09:42 PM
This happens to me often, and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

I'm out and about today, my waist length hair is in a (messy, windblown) braid, and a woman walks by, smiles and says "WOW! Your hair is SO LONG!" and continues walking away.

I didn't really have time to respond at all, but I was also kind of at a loss as I never know what to say to that. She didn't say, "WOW, I love your hair!" or "WOW, your hair is SO pretty!", just commented (stated the obvious) that it's long(ish*).

So do you all just say 'thanks' when this happens? Even if you're not given an actual compliment?

*Funny thing is... I just had about 14-15 inches cut off last week. I think that also contributed to my confusion, it feels short to me now... Lol!

Beka27
May 7th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I guess it feels weird taking credit for something my hair (and most people's hair) does all by itself... Grow. ;-)

Rosa Harris
May 7th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I think it is a compliment. Lot of people don't believe they can grow hair - they trim, trim trim thinking it will make it grow.

I have yet to get these types of comments but maybe its just where I live. I see quite a fw folks with hair my length plus I don't wear it down very often.
My son messes with them - his is thigh length - he will say 'yeah? you want it? I'll sell it to you for 10,000 dollars'

woodswanderer
May 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Whether it was intended as a compliment or just something that got blurted out, I think a simple "thanks" is always a good way to go.

Larki
May 7th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I've only gotten this comment a few times because my hair isn't very long, and it's always from people with short hair (shoulder and above) but I just laugh, which prompts them to say something further that tells me whether or not it's a compliment (and so far it always has been).

It always goes something like this:
Them: "Wow, your hair is so long!"
Me: *laughs*
Them: "No, really, it's so pretty! I wish my hair was that long!"

&rea
May 7th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Now that I'm growing out my hair I get the "Wow your hair is getting long" comments. I used to get the "Your hair is long" comments before my big chop. I take it as a complement. Long hair is a goal I'm trying to achieve. I love long hair! So I always say "thank you".

jacqueline101
May 7th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I think maybe the woman meant it as a compliment or maybe a way to start conversation but at last minute got cold feet. Either way a nice thanks and a smile are complimentary.

Beka27
May 7th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I would have definitely said something (probably thank you!), but she was seriously truckin' down the aisle at Kohl's... Must have been a big sale somewhere I didn't know about! Lol!

Idk... Just kind of made me laugh!

Rosa... Too funny about your son! That's great!

I've been trying to make an effort to wear it down more often, so I'll have to just be prepared with my 'thank you'!

Another funny moment from awhile ago was when my husband's hairstylist commented on my "fancy updo" and asked if we had a big event later that day. I think my response was something like, "Nope... Gonna go home, probably open a bag of chips, and watch a movie!" :-)

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I used to hear "Your hair is long!" comment a lot when I wore my hair down or in a braid, then I just smiled because I don't know what to say to an obvious statement.
But I somehow hear that even now, when my hair is always up in a bun, like: "Wow, I can tell that your hair must be long!"

When I hear "I wish my hair was that long!", I always say: "It can be! It's not really hard." And then we might even discuss hair care, but of course I never initiate it.

Beka27
May 7th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Oh, I'm sure she meant it as a compliment! And I was flattered and appreciative (I always am when someone comments on my hair). I just found the wording funny I guess... Just thought I'd share. I got a laugh from it afterwards when I started thinking about it!

Quixii
May 7th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I usually just smile and say, "yup!" Sometimes this creates an awkward silence because I guess neither of us are sure what the other person really meant, but usually it's followed by a compliment (or insult) to make it clear, to which I then return an appropriate response.

It used to kind of annoy me when people say that, since it's such a "nothing" comment, but every time I look at my own hair lately, I think, "It's so long!" so I don't blame people any more. :lol:

MungoMania
May 7th, 2014, 11:50 PM
It's hard to believe people say that to a waist length isn't it? After the great lengths we see at LHC. I don't know if she meant what she said as a compliment or not. I guess I'd say, "If that's a compliment, thanks!" I think that would be the safest thing.

lazuliblue
May 8th, 2014, 01:36 AM
I can't wait until people start telling me how long my hair is. I shall take every comment and own it! :cool:

Bagginslover
May 8th, 2014, 02:08 AM
I usually just smile and say, "yup!" Sometimes this creates an awkward silence because I guess neither of us are sure what the other person really meant, but usually it's followed by a compliment (or insult) to make it clear, to which I then return an appropriate response.

It used to kind of annoy me when people say that, since it's such a "nothing" comment, but every time I look at my own hair lately, I think, "It's so long!" so I don't blame people any more. :lol:

This is exactly what I do. Usually the person stops then, and realises what they said, and will go on a clarify as to whether it was compliment of not, it works for me ;)

Dreams_in_Pink
May 8th, 2014, 02:21 AM
Once there was this old man and i was wearing huge hoop earrings. He walked up to me and dropped "Those are the biggest earrings i've ever seen." and walked away just like that. I was left speechless just like you :D

I guess some people only care about letting go of their thoughts rather than start a mini convo :)

restless
May 8th, 2014, 03:07 AM
Whether or not they mean it as a compliment, my usual replies are either "Its getting there!" or "Im working on it" followed by a ";)". Most of the time people leave it at that.

TheLadyKM
May 8th, 2014, 04:00 AM
I just say thanks although I haven't yet reched my goal *Classic*

Ingrid
May 8th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I never get these comments from random people because when I'm out, my hair is always hidden away in an updo. You could play ninja long hair too, if the comments bother you! :D

But honestly I think most of the time people mean it as a compliment, and so a thank you would probably be enough to cut through the awkwardness.

Federica
May 8th, 2014, 04:35 AM
She smiled, so I guess she meant it as a compliment!
The other day I was walking down the street with my enormous grocery bags ad crossed two girls walking in the opposite direction. One of them stopped to walk and talk and just stared at me, saying to the other: "HAVE YOU SEEN THAT GIRL'S HAIR? GOD, IS BEAUTIFUL, I WANT MINE LIKE THIS!"
I didn't expect it so I just walk away, shy, but if it happens again I will definately say thank you, and maybe give some tips for hair growth.
I think that strangers' compliments are always the most sincere! And they enlight your day and self esteem :)

Ingrid
May 8th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Aww! Your hair must be gorgeous :) Enjoy the compliments!!

In|{girl
May 8th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I usually answer "thank you" as in most cases it is meant as a compliment, however, what really annoys me is when people say that and then carry on saying something mean like "I think long hair looks terrible" or "I once had long hair too but it will fall out as soon as you have kids" (has happened to me more than once)

momschicklets
May 8th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I feel this way when someone says to me, "Wow! You are so....tall!" (I'm 6 feet). I'm always like, yes....yes I am. LOL But the first person who tells me my hair is sooo long will be getting a big hug!! Hopefully it won't be some weird stranger LOL I think I'd take it as a compliment!

ARG
May 8th, 2014, 07:54 AM
^ That was what I was thinking. I get the "Wow! You're so tiny/short/petite." comments all the time, and I always respond with "Yeah...?"

Nothing I can do about my height or size.

I typically wear my hair up, and its not yet at a length the modern world would consider long, but if I were to ever receive a comment like that, I'd probably respond in the same way I do when some remarks on my height.

HeavenlyTresses
May 8th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I think it is a compliment. Lot of people don't believe they can grow hair - they trim, trim trim thinking it will make it grow.

I have yet to get these types of comments but maybe its just where I live. I see quite a fw folks with hair my length plus I don't wear it down very often.
My son messes with them - his is thigh length - he will say 'yeah? you want it? I'll sell it to you for 10,000 dollars'

I love your son's reply :) Sounds like something my daughter would say. I get that comment all the time and no matter how many times I hear it my brain says "Yes, and.....?" I either say "Thank you" or "Yes it sure is". If my daughter happens to be with me you never know what will come out of her mouth. She likes to tell people I put Miracle Grow on it and then she walks away leaving me to see their confused face :confused:

I take it as a compliment as I very rarely have negative reactions and those are usually the cut and donate comments.

getoffmyskittle
May 8th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I say "thank you" whether I think they meant to compliment me or not. ;)

LauraLongLocks
May 8th, 2014, 08:22 AM
I can't wait until people start telling me how long my hair is. I shall take every comment and own it! :cool:

I'm at hip and it still hasn't happened to me, but when it does, I feel the same way. I will take every comment and OWN it! :cheese: :happydance: :cheer: :disco: :bounce: :joy: :rockerdud: :hollie:

maborosi
May 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Me too. No need for me to be snarky and rude to people who, I assume, are just trying to be nice.

~maborosi~

chen bao jun
May 8th, 2014, 08:41 AM
It is a compliment. It is a compliment even when someone follows up with "i used to have long hair and it fell out" or that sort of thing, because that means they wish they still had it (though they are being nasty then).
and only LHCers would think to respond 'no, its not' which is frankly ridiculous when you are waist or hip length. Yes, your goal is classic or knee and yes, you see several (not a great deal of) people on this website with beautiful longer hair than waist or hip but your hair is longer than 99% of the people out there and the person complimenting you isn't on LHC and anyway comparison is ridiculous. Your hair is not long because 2 or 3 people in the world have longer?
I don't hear that my hair is long much--yet. When I do hear it, its because people realize its longer than its looks, they are expressed startled feelings that hair that looks like APL can stretch to bra strap. I hear a lot--your hair is so thick and I am recovering from myself and my insecurities and starting to say 'thank you' to that, because I realize now that that is also meant as a compliment 99% of the time. I look forward to hearing, 'your hair is so long' someday and meanwhile feel a bit envious but happy for you who get to hear that. and I appreciate the work it took you! (unlike the people on the street who are admiring but think that you just had good luck)
'I wish my hair was that long' is what most of the women who say this to you are really saying.

SunnyIC
May 8th, 2014, 09:56 AM
When I had waist length hair (about 4 years ago) my friends use to tell me all the time, out of the blue "Your hair is so long!" and my usual response was "I know right?" (without being rude but genuinely impressed with my hair) and when strangers told me that I usually just said "Thank You!" because I think it is a compliment and they are impressed. I think it's just people not being used to see really long hair (even if to us here waist might not seem long at all) because pretty much everybody now-a-days has shorter hair than that, it's the trend. I guess it's that shock factor that makes people think "Wow, that is really long hair because it's uncommon!".

Beka27
May 8th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I posted this thread last night... This morning I go into the grocery store and this adorable little old lady comes up to me and says, "Your hair is SO beautiful!" No confusion there... I responded with a big smile and thanked her! Lol!

Tota
May 8th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I started getting these comments when my hair was only BSL, but it was from people who knew me. Maybe it was because they weren't used to me having long hair. I always said thank you even if they continued then with something like "Don't you think it's time to cut it?" or "Wouldn't you prefer a nice bob and some highlights?" etc. I said thank you, because to me, "You have long hair" will always be a compliment, no matter what the person saying that will actually mean. I've been getting comments from strangers since I got to WL and I usually just say thank you and wait for further response :)

FireFromWithin
May 8th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I got some of these comments for the first time on a night out at the weekend when I wore my hair down. Several people did double takes, my usual response is "thanks, I'm growing it out"

trolleypup
May 8th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Especially when it isn't a compliment, great for messing with asshat's brains.

EdG
May 8th, 2014, 08:14 PM
"Thanks!" is a great reply, especially when followed by the thought "you haven't met my friends". :eyebrows:
Ed

nicolezoie
May 8th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I usually say "Naw...really?" with a bit of a smirk/smile. I guess they're just not used to seeing hair like mine loose. :D

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I used to hear "Your hair is long!" comment a lot when I wore my hair down or in a braid, then I just smiled because I don't know what to say to an obvious statement.
But I somehow hear that even now, when my hair is always up in a bun, like: "Wow, I can tell that your hair must be long!"

When I hear "I wish my hair was that long!", I always say: "It can be! It's not really hard." And then we might even discuss hair care, but of course I never initiate it.

She still could've ran down the aisle out of fear. She wanted to be nice but hurried due to maybe you or someone laughing at her. Fear can cause a lot of reactions.

MaryO
May 9th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I actually see it as a compliment since my hair is really not that long! ;-) It feels like someone it acknowledging my patience and perseverance- at least that's what I take it as. If they don't mean it like that they should tell me- be specific! :-D

MINAKO
May 9th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Although i really started to like my hair since i learned to manage it properly and it does grow healthy and nice, i always feel uncomfortable talking about it, or having someone comment (outside of a community like this, or if it's not a close friend). Usually people around me don't tell me my hair is long, they ask me straight away if i did get extensions, since they are not used to seeing me wearing it down. My bun is massive but none seems to know how hair in a bun equals the amount of hair down. From complete strangers i would sometimes get a "wow, beautiful!" but never just "oh, it's long... O_o!". So thank you is not always the right answer for me, more like "uhmmm what?!" :confused:

chen bao jun
May 9th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I want to hear how nicolezoie manages to wear her floor length hair loose.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 9th, 2014, 11:57 PM

I am curious about this too. And some pics would be very welcome.

ashke50
May 10th, 2014, 04:12 AM
I don't get "your hair is long" comments much, because I wear my hair up all the time. When I do though I always take it as a compliment and say thankyou - usually even if the commenter didn't mean it as a compliment they'll be too embarrassed to correct the assumption, so it goes fine.
I did have one friend who would say that my hair was long and then follow it up with "a bit too long", which was clearly not a compliment. So I don't show her my hair down anymore!

CremeTron
May 10th, 2014, 04:36 AM
I used to make this dumb comment. I thought I was being nice. It would be loose and they would be going about their day or sometimes someone would take out a perfectly neat hairdo and redo it in a busy area and I felt they wanted or at least would appreciate a compliment AND I thought their hair was nice.

But.. since being on here I am afraid to say anything... Yesterday I worked with a man with a BSL equivalent braid. As I walked behind him a few times, I really wanted to say "Nice hair" " I like your hair" or "Your hair is so long, how long did it take you to achieve that length".

He had a rather sarcastic manner so I decided I had better not especially now I read that many find these comments annoying and stupid. He did have lovely hair though.

Beatnik Guy
May 10th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I usually say "Naw...really?" with a bit of a smirk/smile. I guess they're just not used to seeing hair like mine loose. :D

nicolezoie has great awesomeness. :D

I used to make this dumb comment. I thought I was being nice.

It's not dumb; you are being nice, if that's your intention. I think many people don't know what to say when they see awesome long hair so they blurt out a comment on the longness, rather than the awesomeness. Nice comments are always welcome, but I think we prefer comments about awesomeness rather than shock about longness:)

HeavenlyTresses
May 10th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I guess it can be somewhat of a shock factor as the majority of women here have short hair and anything past BSL is considered long. I catch people out of the corner of my eye that glance at me, stop for that double take, stare, point, take pictures and talk about it. A few actually talk to me I always try to be polite and answer their questions and let them take pictures if they want, especially if they tell me they have a daughter who wants to grow her hair out or would love to see a real life Rapunzel. If I can be someone's inspiration, even one person it makes my day a little brighter :sun:

nicolezoie
May 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Community meet reports, San Diego Balboa Park late March. :) It is very thin at the ends, so it looks more like ankle than on the floor. But, I keep stepping on it in the shower, so I know it is on the floor again.

It is down very infrequently. When I do leave it loose it is for short periods, or when it is air drying. Sometimes it flat out refuses to stay up or it gives me headaches from my updo being in the same place. If that is the case, I'll loop it around my left hand a couple times and hold it. Otherwise, with my wavy/curliness, it is a tangle prone dust and lint magnet, and becomes very cumbersome.

DreamWalker
May 10th, 2014, 04:31 PM
People say this to me all the time...it's a running joke in my family, how many strangers have told me I have long hair by the time I get home from school, or work, or wherever I am. I usually always wear it in a bun of some sort, but braid it or leave it down when I have a migraine. Now, I get the "you have really long hair!" comment a few times a week. I can usually tell from the tone if it's a compliment, or if it's just a startled comment. If it's a compliment, I say thank you, and that's usually the end of it. If it's just a comment, I usually end up saying "yeah..." and then stand there and feel sheepish for not having a better response. I also occasionally get "your hair is so long, when are you going to donate it?" which can lead to some awkward conversations

veryhairyfairy
May 10th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Oh goodness, I had my first ever comment of "Your hair is long" awhile ago when I was redoing a bun, and I didn't know how to respond! I think I awkwardly said "Yeee...p" and let an even more awkward silence ensue. :lol:

The problem I have is, like many others here, I don't know whether it's just a startled comment or if it's meant as either a compliment or insult. It's like someone saying "You wear glasses" or "You have a dress on". I'm so socially awkward that my immediate reaction is to sarcastically think; "You also have visual characteristics."

CremeTron and several others have made a great point that they have personally made these comments out of a desire to compliment, so I'd love to just teach myself to say "Thank you!" and be complimented. (whether they meant it or not lol)

neko_kawaii
May 10th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Ford Prefect would simply say that humans blurt out the obvious. If we didn't keep our mouths moving, our brains might start working. Why take it as anything other than a compliment? I would simply say "Thank you" but would have a hard time not saying, "Not really".

VJG
May 10th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Maybe take it as a compliment and say thank you, because clearly you enjoy long hair or would not be here? That way, even if it is a simpler remark, your response will be in line with your own beliefs on the matter. At any rate, saying thank you is unlikely to be considered rude!

patienceneeded
May 10th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I usually respond by saying, "Yes. Yes it is."

I then move on with my day.

Most people who comment about my hair are 14 year old though (my students). They are masters at stating the obvious. No biggie.

Kat
May 10th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure "your hair is long!" is THE comment that sparked me to start the "stupid hair comments" thread...

I used to say "thank you" until I got really tired of thanking people for doing no more than stating the obvious. If you want to compliment me, then actually compliment me, but I'm tired of complete strangers assuming I will read their mind and know what they're thinking... (and I admit that usually, when I'm out and about, I want to be left alone to go about my business, not stopped and forced to socialize simply so someone can make a mundane observation about my appearance. I'm getting to the point in my life where I'm realizing that just because someone else wants to talk to me, doesn't necessarily mean I should feel obligated to be held hostage when there are other things I need to/would rather be doing. Why I have spent my life assuming that another person's desire to gab at me and tell me all about their opinions surpasses my desire to be left in peace, I don't know.)

I've not yet found a really suitable answer, though a kind "thank you for telling me," as if they'd let me know I had spinach in my teeth or something, might do. (Luckily, I don't get this as much since I cut from knee back to hip. Apparently there is some magic length in between there where people decide hair is long enough to comment on. I hardly ever have to talk to people about my hair anymore-- bliss!)

It's like someone saying "You wear glasses" or "You have a dress on".

quiltlady
May 10th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I have enjoyed reading your comments. I get this comment a lot at work. I just don't know how to respond. I wear my hair up, except for wash days. It isn't really that long, but it is for me. I have only been growing it out for the past 4 years. I am going to say Thank you the next time someone tells me Your hair is so long.

GoddessLocks
May 10th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I usually just say thanks because I don't know what else to say lol

Tall Blond(ish)
May 10th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I've been over 6' tall since I was 12, and it always used to bother me when people would inform me that I am, in fact, tall. I finally realized that they are simply trying to make conversation, or connect, or simply express their thoughts. The fact that their thoughts are not very informative, and may be socially awkward, doesn't mean that I need to feel uncomfortable or somehow punish them. I just appreciate that another human being is making an effort, however uninspired, to reach out and communicate with me. I just acknowledge them in some polite way that lets everyone move on. I imagine we have all been guilty of stating the obvious before; it's not really a crime.

momschicklets
May 11th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I've been over 6' tall since I was 12, and it always used to bother me when people would inform me that I am, in fact, tall. I finally realized that they are simply trying to make conversation, or connect, or simply express their thoughts. The fact that their thoughts are not very informative, and may be socially awkward, doesn't mean that I need to feel uncomfortable or somehow punish them. I just appreciate that another human being is making an effort, however uninspired, to reach out and communicate with me. I just acknowledge them in some polite way that lets everyone move on. I imagine we have all been guilty of stating the obvious before; it's not really a crime.

I enjoyed reading this....I was 6 ft at age 12 also and had to learn this truth as well.

walterSCAN
May 11th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I'm so socially awkward that my immediate reaction is to sarcastically think; "You also have visual characteristics."

This tickled me! :laugh:

I'm usually not irritated by the "your hair is long" comments, just baffled. I'm usually baffled because the comments seem to invariably come right after I've trimmed, and I usually trim 2-3" at a time. My immediate response is always, "neh, this is short. I just trimmed it!" I rarely ever get comments from random strangers though (I've been told my demeanor is intimidating/ uninviting, so maybe that's why?), so whoever it is usually just laughs with me and looks at me like I'm a crazy person when I say that.

Unicorn
May 14th, 2014, 03:12 PM

This is pretty much my thought on it. So often on this board I've seen the hostile response to the very neutral comment od "your hair is long". I still haven't worked out why it's supposed to be offensive or in fact stupid. It's no more than an acknowledgement of a persons observation. If something like this is said by itself with no follow up comment and in a neutral tome then I tend to assume it's their explanation of why they're staring at me. I.e. they've realised they're staring and this is their explanation of why they're staring. I get the "you've got SisterLocks" comment. I tend to just say 'yes' and smile. Some people ask further questions, others simply smile and move on. Usually it's complimentary or neutral. I really don't understand why it's considered rude or stupid.

Unicorn

minxe
May 14th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I was out once when a woman said this to me, and I responded with, "thanks, I grew it myself!"

She didn't think it was funny and ended up giving me the stinkeye as she walked away... :uhh: