PDA

View Full Version : What is your length, how long to get there? Rate?

Rosa Harris
May 7th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I'm currently around 35.5 inches at/near tailbone with my longest wisps of my fairytale ends. To reach this length from completely bald was about 4 years 7 months. That would be a pretty good growth rate around .64 inches per month.

So what is your length? How long did it take to get there? How fast is its average growth - length/number of months growing.

Also, ia there anything that you have been doing that you feel has increased your growth or length retention?

hafattack
May 7th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I've gotten about 16 inches in 2 years, with trims. At just the sixteen inches it is 0.67 for me.
Whey protein really upped my growth last year, but I haven't have the same results since. I am finding that I get barely any growth in the winter months and at times almost an inch a month in the summer. So this is definitely an average.

AmyBeth
May 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I went from top of bra strap with artificially cut in fairy tale ends to just above BCL with a blunt hemline in 2 1/2 years. 12 1/2 inches of growth with a fair amount of trims. It seems like it grows so slowly, and I had a 6 month period with trims that I realized no net length. So I really shouldn't complain (although I most certainly do!), it's growing pretty well.

spidermom
May 7th, 2014, 07:24 PM
My growth averaged out to 0.67 inches per month the last year that I kept track. Now I just don't care how long it is, how fast it grows, or what it measures.

Aderyn
May 7th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I'm not too big on measuring my hair growth or length. My hair grows about .75-1 inch a month, and is currently around 36 inches long (waist length wurly, between hip and BCL stretched). I started above BSL curly (an inch or so past BSL straight) a year ago, with most of that time spent wearing my hair down and not being particularly gentle. I'm also quite tall, so that also contributes to the length between milestones. :p

Tini'sNewHair
May 7th, 2014, 08:05 PM
You can see my signiture bellow, that says it all - not to sure how much i grow each month tho and i have tried a few things but i never continued it long enough to maybe see if there is a difference. Right now, I just dont care anymore, im more focused on having a good hemline and thats about it.

jacqueline101
May 7th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I'm not too sure what my growth rate is. All I know is I want it to grow long strong and healthy. I've thought in the past when I started my hair growth journey as I call it my rate was an inch every two months. I know my rate slowed down some. I started at shoulder length and I'm bra strap length took me two years. I had a minor set back along the way unwanted layers, cut, and some breakage. I trimmed and grew that out. Now I'm just growing. I've set my goal for the end of the year to be at waist. I have six and a half inches to go.

sourgrl
May 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I don't pay attention to my monthly growth rate but I'm comfortable with how quickly it seems to grow. I think if I was more aware of much it grows every month I would obsess about growing. It's hard to tell where it is because I'm a wavy. I've been thinking I've got about an inch to go until I reach waist. But the past couple days I seem so much closer! My final goal is hip, which is about 4 inches from waist. I hope to reach my final destination by the new year.

darklyndsea
May 8th, 2014, 12:15 AM
My hair has grown a bit more than .5" a month, but now that it's gotten curlier I think it'll slow down (I don't stretch it to measure). It's beyond the length that I can measure by myself now, anyway, so it's a moot point. I cut to BSL/MBL in spring or early summer 2011 and I'm at classic+ now.

Quahatundightu
May 8th, 2014, 12:26 AM
My hair grows at about .25" a month, though it is very fine and fragile so with trims it has taken me almost 10 years to grow from shoulder length to TB+. I stalled for ages at hip when I tried the no trims, I didn't gain length until I started microtrimming. I also try to have a very healthy diet and have to be very gentle with my hair. But microtrimming is the main thing letting me get to this length.

ErinLeigh
May 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM
My hair grows half an inch every 5 weeks like clockwork it seems. I base this on my roots and use my thumb to gauge.
The one and only time I attempted to measure length I used a measure tape with the silver clip on the end. It snagged and stuck in my hair and was a mess to get out. I lost several hairs so took it as a sign to stop trying. I trim too often to make it worth my while trying to measure anyway.

Rosa, I think its fascinating that you have gone from bald to current with no trims and plan to go to terminal this way. I am so interested to follow your progress.

spidermom
May 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I noticed this morning that the longest part of my layered, straightened U-hem is now solidly at hip length. I care about that; it makes me happy.

Hairitic
May 8th, 2014, 11:28 AM
I joined TLHC IN August 2011 with APL hair. It was at that point that I began consciously growing my hair long.

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6001/6020662430_4d7191165e_m.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6020662430/) BSL Aug. 5, 2011 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6020662430/) by prlknits (https://www.flickr.com/people/36509609@N08/), on Flickr

Here it is Christmas 2013 at TBL. It is now about 1.25" shy of Classic:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/11636621725_1ebffb1195_m.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/11636621725/) Untitled (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/11636621725/) by prlknits (https://www.flickr.com/people/36509609@N08/), on Flickr

I have had trims about 3 times a year since I joined TLHC. I expect that by my 3 year TLHC anniversary, I will be at Classic length. That would be about 20" to about 41" = total growth of 21" over 36 mos. That would be a growth rate of .5833"/mo including trims. Better than I thought! I tried Minoxidol for awhile but didn't see a significant difference in growth so didn't think the effort was worth it. Over the last 3 mos,I have improved my diet considerably. Perhaps that will improve my growth rate? :p

Also note the big improvement in texture and shine from Henna! ;)

AmyBeth
May 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM
My hair grows at about .25" a month, though it is very fine and fragile so with trims it has taken me almost 10 years to grow from shoulder length to TB+. I stalled for ages at hip when I tried the no trims, I didn't gain length until I started microtrimming. I also try to have a very healthy diet and have to be very gentle with my hair. But microtrimming is the main thing letting me get to this length.

Almost the very same thing happened to me, I stalled at hip for 8 months. That was with self-micortimming about 1/4 inch every 3 months. I thought I was at my terminal length and was very sad about it, but I accepted it and decided to work on getting a thicker hemline instead of trying for more length. I finally decided to get a little more drastic (to me, anyway) and took off 1 1/2 inch at Christmas last year, and it really seemed to kickstart my growth again. I trimmed 1 1/2 inch again in March, and I've already regain those 3 inches and then some, plus a thicker hemline. I know it seems counterintuitive to trim so much, but my hair really benefits from regular, more substantial trims. I intensely begrudge those trims, but it has to be done.

kganihanova
May 8th, 2014, 03:35 PM
AmyBeth, I'm another who needs microtrims. My hair just doesn't grow the same without them......

momschicklets
May 8th, 2014, 04:09 PM
My hair grows half an inch every 5 weeks like clockwork it seems. I base this on my roots and use my thumb to gauge.
The one and only time I attempted to measure length I used a measure tape with the silver clip on the end. It snagged and stuck in my hair and was a mess to get out. I lost several hairs so took it as a sign to stop trying. I trim too often to make it worth my while trying to measure anyway.

This is exactly my growth rate too every single month. I don't really try to do anything to speed it up because I just don't think it will work :(

mariakatija
May 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I grew from a chin-length bob to waist+ in 3 years and 4 months. I had to get a 4 inch (maybe more/less) cut to get rid of damage and layers/bangs. Chin was 15 inches, waist was 29, and now I'm at 30.5. That's a net growth of 15.5 inches. Add that to what I cut and I grow roughly 6 inches a year (1/2 inch a month). What helped me grow quicker is taking my vitamins! Not crazy quick, but maybe .1 or .2 more of an inch.

Beborani
May 8th, 2014, 04:23 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=113760

Here is lhc growth rate poll that conducted last year.

Quasiquixotic
May 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I've gone from pixi to collarbone in 10 months with one trim. I don't know how much she took off because it was pre-LHC by about a month and I did know to care about such things thing. I've been measuring my growth since feb and I average about 0.75 inches a month. We'll see how that changes with summer, if my rate increases at all. July will be my pixi anniversary.