PDA

View Full Version : the "names" of protein- what are they?

lind01
September 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hi, i've been looking for a thread or an article that gives the various names of protein, such as in conditioner. I can't tell if I'm buying products with it or not! If anyone could point me in the right direction , I'd appreciate it!

BunnyBee
September 16th, 2008, 07:55 AM
The article here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17 has a few names of common proteins.

Hydrolized ANYTHING, Milk, Soy, Silk, Egg, Placenta, Enzyme, reconstructor, split ends, damage repair, restorative, rejuvenator.

If an item in question says "blank blank milk", or, "Repairs and restores damaged hair" read the ingredient list carefully, 9 times out of ten its loaded with protein.

aisling
September 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm surprised an article about proteins doesn't mention that they can be called amino acids as well. Amino acids are the building stones of protein. ETA: Also, keratin and collagen are names that protein hide behind.

Kirin
September 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
because i forgot to add it :( I did mean to but somehow overlooked it. I need to edit that article.

Longlove
September 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hi, i've been looking for a thread or an article that gives the various names of protein, such as in conditioner. I can't tell if I'm buying products with it or not! If anyone could point me in the right direction , I'd appreciate it!

What a great question! In terms of labelling, proteins are no different than sugars..... All kinds of potential evil lurking under different aliases. I'm reading this with great interest.

aisling
September 17th, 2008, 12:52 AM
because i forgot to add it :( I did mean to but somehow overlooked it. I need to edit that article.

Kirin, that would be really great :)

twilight_faerie
September 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Panthenol (a.k.a. Vitamin B5), also.

ChloeDharma
September 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I find it unusual that protein is being mentioned as some kind of evil in some posts here. Some peoples hair really likes it, mine does anyway, not that i pay enough attention to using it. But it does play a role in haircare and though some people need to be carefull how it's used it's really not a totally evil ingredient.

Kirin
September 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I find it unusual that protein is being mentioned as some kind of evil in some posts here. Some peoples hair really likes it, mine does anyway, not that i pay enough attention to using it. But it does play a role in haircare and though some people need to be carefull how it's used it's really not a totally evil ingredient.

I totally agree. Protein in products can totally save some people's hair, especially those that are prone to protein loss in the hair shaft. Protein loss can occur for many reasons, not just hair dye and perms, but just weathering, wear and tear, or just the individual person's hair's make-up.

Why protein is often "disasterous" because it is not easy to spot, and for those who's hair really rejects it, its hard to weed out. Overuse of protein is extremely drying and gnarling to hair, and its hard -not- to overuse it. In effect, most over the counter hair care items contain it, and don't -need- it. Such as, you know you are getting protein when you by a protein pack reconstructor. You do not know you are adding protein every single day by using "x" brand of conditioner. For those who's hair rejects it, it is a huge expendature in frustration, the health of their hair, and money down the drain in a product they can't use. Often, their hair's bad shape is blamed on something else, when the offender is just about everything they are trying.

Overuse of protein is exceedingly drying, and can cause breakage, split ends and overall bad hair days that have no end in sight. Though this condition is cured with moisture, most people, especially those unaware of ingredients are assuming their conditioner is moisturizing when in fact, that conditioner is what's causing the problem. Some individuals though, have -no- bad effects with protein, no matter how much they use, like yourself. As with any ingredient in hair care, your individual results may vary.

Protein warnings on this site are for those who are not yet aware of the pros and cons of this ingredient. Such as we have the pros and cons (good vs evil) of sulphates, and silicones, for example, so Protein is not alone in this boat.)

Panthenol is not a protein, it is a vitimin alcohol B5. In effect, B5 Panthenol works like an industrial silicone, and its use can give the same drying results in some individuals that mimics the same effects to Protein dryness and overuse. Panthenol seals the hair shaft, is intended for moisture, and gives lustre and shine, however just like silicone, it can lock out additional moisture giving unintended dryness.

Protein and Panthenol generally bother hair that is very fine in texture, thin in texture and hair on indiviuals that live in dry or cold extreme climates. The latter, is usually the case for most, as someone living in a cool low humidity enviornment using a potentially drying agent may have more dryness than average. To make matters worse, to combat the dryness, they may resort to using more of the offending product.

Knowing more intimately what can go wrong with a particular ingredient, helps members here discern for themselves what they wish to try, or might avoid. Hopefully such information lets the user make their own choice and be able to diagnose better their own hair problems.