PDA

View Full Version : How can I achieve this look with LHC-approved styling methods?

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I'm curious if it's possible to get this kind of pompadour-ish root volume if my hair is TBL, heavy and without layers? My hair type is pretty much the same though.

I don't want any teasing/backcombing or heat, and I would prefer to avoid or at least severely limit hair spray.

Thank you very much! :blossom:
http://pursuitist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Louis_Vuitton_Gisele_Bundchen.jpg

spidermom
May 7th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Teasing and hairspray; that's the ticket.

Brynja
May 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM
It's a really great look but unfortunatley i don't think that you can achieve it naturally,unless you'll get trapped in a fabulous tornado

MINAKO
May 7th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Well, i Agree with the other posters above, but you could try to dust your roots with something sticky, like sugarwater, and then dry it upside down on the lowest setting, while scrunching it a bit, then gently brush the top layer. I'm sure it's ot gonna look that big and fluff, but hey that's the price of wanting healthy hair in the first place.

Carolyn
May 7th, 2014, 04:06 PM
All I can say is good luck with that. If you want to do it occasionally, do it but you will have to tease and use hair spray. I'd do it.

spidermom
May 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I think the right haircut would be key as well.

lapushka
May 7th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Impossible without backcombing or hairspray. You could try blowdrying your hair upside down, making the roots go forward, over your face, so that when you flip it back, it's going to stand up and out. If your hair is quite long though, and thus heavy, it'll fall flat nonetheless. :shrug:

Rosa Harris
May 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
we sued to use eggwhites to put up mowhawks

PrincessIdril
May 7th, 2014, 04:31 PM
A hair rat (bump its or something similar) might help you achieve the shape a bit but even that would probably need a bit of teasing/hairspray.

Macaroni
May 7th, 2014, 04:49 PM
You could use a root lifting spray.

cat11
May 7th, 2014, 05:20 PM
You won't get anything THAT dramatic (and the success will depend on your hairtype. If you have hair that doesn't have much body/hold curl you probably won't have much success with anything)

BUT, if you let your hair dry from a damp state in an upside down unicorn horn on the top or your head, your roots will look voluminous like that. With my hair type that's how I get volume. I have 2-3b iii thickness hair, so it's heavy. Works great!! You can sleep this way too. I do it when my roots start getting flat. Dry shampoo over sebum when your hair isn't freshly washed holds the shape quite well after sleeping like that. I would imagine putting mouse in your roots and then sleeping like this would give it an even better boost but I don't like putting such things in my hair.

Found this out after because I tried the "pineapple" sleeping method for not damaging curly hair in your sleep. Keeps curls safe, adds volume to roots :)

Almost forgot, the ponytail shouldnt be tight.

momschicklets
May 7th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I sometimes use this volumizing powder to get root lift....although I've never used so much it would get that high! You'd have to use a lot of it and it would make your hair sticky, but it does work for awhile...

http://www.amazon.com/Got2b-Powderful-Volumizing-Styling-Powder/dp/B00546F4CY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399505111&sr=8-2&keywords=root+volume+powder

Verdandi
May 7th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I got that look when I had very short layers (but about bsl hair), sprayed with salt water spray and blow dried with my head upside down. Didn't last long though, and I thing non layered TBL hair would be far too heavy. I second the bump it's idea!

sourgrl
May 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Maybe a "bump it"? http://www.amazon.com/Happie-Hair-Bumpits-Volumizing-Inserts/dp/B00285EQ50

ErinLeigh
May 7th, 2014, 06:29 PM
You can kind of see where her pomp was clipped up at one time before being released and resprayed. Try putting root texturizer and some kind of mousse, pomade or gel in before bed, making a clipped or rolled large pomp, spray, then when you wake respray, finger shake, respray and let fall. You could set loose heatless waves before bed to go with it also.

It would be hard to do without backcombing but its worth a try to at least get some of that volume to see how it holds.

ETA: oh bump its will help a lot, especially with the texture powder! Those little suckers will give some pompador action
I never knew they made them for back of head too. or in combs. I need to try these.

http://www.amazon.com/Bump-Volume-Hair-Styling-Insert/dp/B009AOB7YK/ref=pd_sbs_bt_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=164JVM80V7J4AQWP0N61
http://www.amazon.com/Charming-Volume-Inserts-Beehive-styler/dp/B00HEAEYUG/ref=pd_sbs_bt_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=164JVM80V7J4AQWP0N61

Syaoransbear
May 7th, 2014, 06:31 PM
convertible on the highway?

chen bao jun
May 7th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Amazing to me that you WANT your hair to look like this. Mine pretty much does this by itself and I spend my life trying to squish it down on top and gets the sides under control (to stop sticking out). I guess it just that the grass is always greener....

Of course I don't wear all that eyeshadow and stare smokily at the camera, nor am I a twenty-something supermodel--somehow I think those two things are doing more for her that the pouffy hair...

I'm curious if it's possible to get this kind of pompadour-ish root volume if my hair is TBL, heavy and without layers? My hair type is pretty much the same though.

I don't want any teasing/backcombing or heat, and I would prefer to avoid or at least severely limit hair spray.

Thank you very much! :blossom:
http://pursuitist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Louis_Vuitton_Gisele_Bundchen.jpg

Quasiquixotic
May 7th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Amazing to me that you WANT your hair to look like this. Mine pretty much does this by itself and I spend my life trying to squish it down on top and gets the sides under control (to stop sticking out). I guess it just that the grass is always greener....

Of course I don't wear all that eyeshadow and stare smokily at the camera, nor am I a twenty-something supermodel--somehow I think those two things are doing more for her that the pouffy hair...

This made me really laugh out loud!

hafattack
May 7th, 2014, 07:10 PM
The ladies in my family (we're all long hairs) make 'poofs' all the time using bobby pins. We wouldn't be able to do over all root volume unless doing an updo (or, for me, if I let my hair get wavy) but it gives us that in the front. So that is an option

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Wow, I didn't expect so many great ideas! :) Thank you so much, guys! You are the best! :flowers:

I'll definitely try the dry shampoo or volumizing powder, a texturizing mousse and blow-drying upside down (it actually worked when I blow-dried "against the grain" a long time ago). I'm not expecting this style to hold for more than a couple of hours, but that's OK.
I also found some advice online to recreate this specific look on Gisele (http://www.bellasugar.com/Gisele-Bundchen-Hair-Louis-Vuitton-Spring-2014-Campaign-33063583), but it recommends all that hair-damaging teasing, which I never do.

I also just found a picture of the same model using huge rollers that I'm sure will help create the pompadour:
http://glambistro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/gisele-bundchen-huge-hair-rollers.jpg

Do similar rollers exist without the velcro-y spikes? Because those little spikes cause massive tangles in long hair.

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 07:28 PM
if you let your hair dry from a damp state in an upside down unicorn horn on the top or your head, your roots will look voluminous like that. With my hair type that's how I get volume. I have 2-3b iii thickness hair, so it's heavy. Works great!! You can sleep this way too.
What exactly is a "unicorn horn" on hair and how do I create it? Is it like a cinnabun? Thanks a lot! :)

sourgrl
May 7th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Large clean cans (like veggies come in) with some clips would work in place of the velcro rollers. Orange juice cans were perfect for that style but I'm not sure if frozen oj comes in those cans any more

ETA: use pin curl clips to secure the cans http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Style-Boxed-Clips-Slide/dp/B000NJJBNU

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 07:32 PM
convertible on the highway?

:lol: Love your idea! My favorite hair style is bedhead! :D And strangely, I'm not very good at creating it. :rolleyes:

Stormynights
May 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I curl my hair by wrapping my hair around my fingers and pinning them like little buns with amish pins. To get more volume at the root I start wrapping the hair loosely around one finger then put another finger out and wrap around two to make it looser on the ends. It makes pretty curls.

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 07:51 PM
You are totally right about the grass being greener on the other side. :D My hair can look flat-ironed if I just pass a comb through it once, so I love texture. And I never understood why people with texture straighten hair.

:lol: I think she's 33 in this photo, but I get your idea. She's kind of famous for her hair and she shocked people when she confessed to her "benign neglect": she doesn't even own a brush, leaves hair as is and keeps it in a sleek bun whenever she's not working.

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I curl my hair by wrapping my hair around my fingers and pinning them like little buns with amish pins. To get more volume at the root I start wrapping the hair loosely around one finger then put another finger out and wrap around two to make it looser on the ends. It makes pretty curls.

Thank you! I think that would work. Buns on slightly damp hair do give serious volume, I'll just need to place them strategically.

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Large clean cans (like veggies come in) with some clips would work in place of the velcro rollers. Orange juice cans were perfect for that style but I'm not sure if frozen oj comes in those cans any more

ETA: use pin curl clips to secure the cans http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Style-Boxed-Clips-Slide/dp/B000NJJBNU
Wow! That's an awesome idea actually! :) Thank you so much!
How do you keep the edges (where you opened the cans) from being sharp on scalp? Should I try to wrap them with something?

sourgrl
May 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM
My can opener (basic hand held opener) opens the ends from inside the can so any sharp parts would be inside. Nothing would be on the outside of the can to catch hair. I'm sure you could file down any sharp bits. I googled "can curls" and found that most girls use soda cans for the style today. Either way you should get the same effect. I love the look but I'm horrible at rolling my hair. Thankfully I have a two inch curling iron that gives me the same results. I havent used it in almost a year but I won't give it up. It's's nearly impossible to find a two inch chrome iron these days.

MadeiraD
May 7th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I too recommend the inserts

jacqueline101
May 7th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I agree teasing and back combing your hair is key. Then you have to hair spray your hair. There are natural alternatives like sugar water I've done in the past which works real well. The rest would not be hair friendly.

meteor
May 7th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Thank you, MINAKO and jacqueline101, for the sugar water idea. :) What ratio of sugar:water should one use?

ReneeG
May 7th, 2014, 10:28 PM
You could use a dry shampoo to give you some root lift - it wont give you THAT much lift, but it will give you more volume than normal If you want a natural one, I just use pure corn starch. Best on several day old hair, sprinkle it on the roots (will be like grandma hair) and leave alone for a couple minutes, then use your fingertips to really distribute it like you are washing your hair with shampoo, and then if you have any white color left over just brush it through with a BBB (I have a thin one that is supposed to be for teasing, but I only use it to brush out cornstarch lol). Hope this helps a little!

BTW to get the cornstarch out, just wash and condish as normal, with an extra long rinse after the shampoo. no harm done, covers greasy roots without drying your hair or scalp, or removing natural oils, and gives great volume.

PS if you have dark hair, you can add a little pure cocoa powder to the cornstarch to darken it up so you wont see it on your hair

jacqueline101
May 7th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Thank you, MINAKO and jacqueline101, for the sugar water idea. :) What ratio of sugar:water should one use?

I'm scratching my head thinking on this. I think I used about two tablespoons in hot water poured into a 8 ounce bottle. I did this back in 09: I'm not too sure but it works and is cheap.

ErinLeigh
May 8th, 2014, 12:03 AM
The sell the big rollers without velcro, they claim to hold on their own but you will still need pins probably.
http://www.amazon.com/Style-Jumbo-Magnetic-Rollers-Piece/dp/B00261JIQ8/ref=sr_1_3?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1399528960&sr=1-3&keywords=magnetic+rollers

I use the velcro rollers since hair is short and doesn't mind them but my style falls flat since I don't use product :/

eva888
May 8th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Dry shampoo or "big hair" volumizing powder could work on your scalp to get that look I think.

Loviatar
May 8th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I made a pomp like that for an opera show with my bangs area (never tried it in the length) using Schwarzkopf Got 2B volume powder. I love it and it doesn't make my hair feel sticky.

OSis do a volume powder too, but it's £10ish as opposed to the £3ish of Got 2B. The cheaper powder lasts longer, too, both in the bottle and in your hair.

However, I'm going to try using the dry shampoo / volume powder from etsy, made by our own Nightshade in her shop Night Blooming. It has more hair friendly ingredients but I bet it would give a similar effect.

YamaMaya
May 8th, 2014, 03:28 AM
A hair rat might give the illusion of this look,toy with it and see what you come up with :)

Bagginslover
May 8th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Use the velcro rollers, but wrap them with fabric first ;) even wrapping with a paper towel would be enough, and would help speed up drying times too ;)

threadOfGold
May 8th, 2014, 05:36 AM
It's a really great look but unfortunatley i don't think that you can achieve it naturally,unless you'll get trapped in a fabulous tornado

... :laugh: !!!!
Fabulous tornado

I agree with everyone that has mentioned salt spray or dusting your roots. I think hair that isn't freshly washed will work better too! Are you hoping to do it for a special occasion or for everyday? I'm sure it will look lovely, we just need to find a non damaging way to do it I suppose :)

Stray_mind
May 8th, 2014, 07:43 AM
My hair is like this when i wash in the evening, put it in a towelturbie and sleep like that all night. :D It also used to be like this when i used to blow dry my hair upside down.