PDA

View Full Version : At what length do you think/find that your hair is/would be unmanageable for you?

Sarahlabyrinth
May 6th, 2014, 04:57 PM
The title says it all, really, I have been pondering this as I eat my breakfast, I was wondering if it would be fingertip length on me, then I thought, well, maybe I could manage it as long as knee, as long as I didn't have to braid it (already it re-tangles itself so easily at its current length). Dangerous thoughts, this contemplation of ever longer lengths albeit so innocently....What about you?

molljo
May 6th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I haven't had my hair at anything approaching long ever, but I think for me, anything that extends past my back, so hip or BCL would be my limit. But who knows?

meteor
May 6th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I don't know, hence my uncertainty about my length goal. I only know that I haven't reached that dreaded moment yet. :)
So far, I've felt that the longer the hair gets, the easier it is to care for and style, because I put it up all the time.

ashke50
May 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Nearly at classic, haven't reached it yet... Maybe beyond fingertip, as it would presumably be harder to brush.

threadOfGold
May 6th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I'd still love to have it but I can't imagine washing hair past knee length!
Can I just ask quickly on this thread (sorry if it's irrelevant)
Is just above collar bone length to just over BSL good growth for 5 months?
Thank you :)

Sharysa
May 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I feel my hair would be unmanageable if I couldn't wear it down or in half-ups at least a couple times a week. Outside of the house, that is. At past waist it's fine (still needs a couple inches before it stays hip length with waves). I'm pretty sure full hip would still be fine, but I'm not sure how tailbone or classic-length waves would behave, so classic is the longest length I'm going to decide on for the moment.

Quixii
May 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I think I'd find floor length getting unmanageable. But I don't plan to grow that long, so who knows. :shrug:

Aderyn
May 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I don't think my hair would ever be "unmanageable" regardless of the length (assuming I'm in proper health, of course).

The length where it would start to become less enjoyable to care for it I'm thinking is somewhere past classic, probably starting around knee. Harder to comb and brush, would be just generally a lot of hair to deal with, I don't think I'd be very comfortable walking around with such a huge bun (the thickness of my hair doesn't help) regularly (not just physical discomfort, but I just don't like the look on myself), wouldn't be so enjoyable to wear it down. and I just think I'd start to get more fed up/annoyed with it.

I haven't been anywhere near a length where I've viewed it as unmanageable or unenjoyable to have, though, so I could change my mind once I get closer to that length, who knows.

meteor
May 6th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Can I just ask quickly on this thread (sorry if it's irrelevant)
Thank you :)
I think it's very good growth. However, I don't know what the distance from collarbone to BSL is on you. 5 months averages 2.5 inches of growth.
The key is to focus on keeping ends in good condition - i.e. length retention - so you won't have to trim any of your new growth.

darklyndsea
May 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I'm still back at fingertip length, which is the longest I've ever been. I think I'll still be able to handle it in a few inches when post-fingertip annoyances I've heard about really start to kick in. After that I think I'll be fine until my hair starts to hit the floor during my usual routine, either when it's wet or when I'm sitting down, because those are the points where I'll have to figure out how to change my routine.

jacqueline101
May 6th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I don't know yet on my own head. I'm going to try for tailbone I think anything longer would be difficult for me to handle.

threadOfGold
May 6th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Thank you meteor! I'll have to put together a before and after picture to show you :)! I think my hairs grown about 4 inches in 5 months, I have been taking multi vitamins and eating all the reccomended food that promotes hair growth. I can measure the inches because I have dark blonde roots against golden hair. I'm really enjoying growing my hair thanks to TLHC :)

meteor
May 6th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you meteor! I'll have to put together a before and after picture to show you :)! I think my hairs grown about 4 inches in 5 months, I have been taking multi vitamins and eating all the reccomended food that promotes hair growth. I can measure the inches because I have dark blonde roots against golden hair. I'm really enjoying growing my hair thanks to TLHC :)
Awesome! 4 inches in 5 months is extremely fast growth, especially for cold winter months! :) Almost twice as fast as the norm. Congratulations! :D And happy growing!

Chromis
May 6th, 2014, 05:45 PM
If that point exists on me I have yet to find it. I actually find knee far easier than I did BSL!

divinedobbie
May 6th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I think anything past tailbone would just be annoying to me, past classic would definitely be unmanageable.

chen bao jun
May 6th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I'll join the 'I have no idea' set. so far the longer it gets the easier it gets, but since I'm only brastrap stretched (almost armpit curly), that's not saying much. I hope to get to waist curly.

trolleypup
May 6th, 2014, 07:04 PM
So far I haven't noticed much difference in care and issues in my (admittedly slow) journey from past classic to calf length...I'm guessing there might be in increase in issues around ankle?

dancingpoet
May 6th, 2014, 07:07 PM
My hair has never been longer than fingertip, and I always figured knee would be about where it would become unmanageable for me, but I really don't know. It might be more difficult at that point, but not necessarily unmanageable. I would think that once it reaches the floor, that would create issues. I wouldn't want to have the risk of stepping on my hair. Any option of wearing it down would be completely out the window, I would think.

door72067
May 6th, 2014, 07:30 PM
for me, anything longer than the chair seat when I am sitting would be unmanageable (I think this is basically tailbone, for me, anyway)

mariakatija
May 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Because I find growing my hair to be a fun hobby, I don't when if it will ever feel unmanageable! But I think once It goes past calf I will have to be super careful when leaving it down which would annoy me.

vindo
May 6th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Maybe when it gets to floor length it would be unmanageable because of it dragging? Other than that I can't imagine it would be all that hard to handle. My longest was thigh length in 2011 and it was easy to manage.

Jumper
May 6th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Because of the amount of time I spend on horseback, I think classic would be my last manageable length. I am really only aiming for hip, maybe tailbone. Probably tailbone.

truepeacenik
May 6th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Well, I spend just a little time with loose hair, so manageability is all about combing and putting it up.
Washing is simple right now at thumb to fingertip length.

I think Trolley might be right with ankle being a new learning curve.
Juliya? Any opinion on this?

Stormynights
May 6th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I don't think I can handle anything past tail bone. I wish my braid was down to my waist without the fairy tale ends, but, it hasn't grown since I first measured it. It is healthy but it seems to have stopped growing. It was 33 inches and I trimmed 1 inch March 19th and it is still at 32 inches.

ravenreed
May 6th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I am having trouble with mine at the moment and I am roaming around between finger tip and mid thigh (I trim, it grows, I trim again). I have a very sensitive scalp and my hair pulls unless it is completely loose. Loose is pretty much a tangled disaster unless I sit completely still, and even then it gets caught behind me when I sit back. I wear a braid a lot because buns start to hurt, and my braid gets caught in everything, or I sit on it. I keep toying with the idea of trimming back to TB, but I am mildly curious at how long my hair will grow.

neko_kawaii
May 6th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I remember reading about a member here who had to trim her hair once it was past floor and regularly got caught in the shower drain. That does seem unmanagable to me, but I bet there are ways to protect ones hair from the drain.

Tini'sNewHair
May 6th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Im speaking brave here BUT i feel like i was born to be a long hair and i have gone short many times trust me but having long hair feels like "home", so anything passed waist is what i feel the best with... I CAN see myself loving lengths passed classic IF my genes allows but right now my goal is still classic :)

MungoMania
May 7th, 2014, 01:41 AM
I agree with those who feel floor length would be challenging. I like to wear my hair loose and I drive a lot, so where would I put all that hair in the car? Still, I love long hair and if it does grow to ankle length I'm sure I'll love it and work around any resulting problems.

Flor
May 7th, 2014, 02:04 AM

I need proof. Assuming by BSL you mean the bottom of bra band, I don't believe one's hair can grow that much in 5 months. Unless you're wearing one very wrong size bra and it's riding up on the back like nobody's business. Also, I tend to see questions like that as not-so-subtle bragging.
Sorry, not sorry ;)

KittyBird
May 7th, 2014, 02:46 AM
Everything between pixie and hip length is unmanageable for me. Impossible to wear it up because of how thick it is, difficult to wear it down because it's all over the place and keeps getting in my face, braids are stubby and short, and so on. I find that my hair is easier to deal with when it's long. Tailbone is the longest it has ever been, and I have no issues with manageability so far. Bunning has been a bit troublesome at times, but I think I've figured it out now, thanks to discovering spin pins, long bobby pins, and sectioned buns. :cool:

lapushka
May 7th, 2014, 03:26 AM
I think anything past classic might be off limits for me. But then again, ever since I got my hair layered (compact cut, ponytail on forehead) into short layers, length has been a lot easier to deal with over here. So... I might even make classic. :lol:

Rosa Harris
May 7th, 2014, 04:00 AM
I want to find out what my terminal length is - for some reason - just see how far it will go but I have never imagined it would be past knee length. If it just gets to the point I cant really manipulate it and get it up on my own then I suppose I would have to stop - whatever length that is. I did cut short short about 15 years ago when I tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder and could do nothing with my BSL hair so I guess health challenges could change my goals.

Selkie-
May 7th, 2014, 05:08 AM
No idea - I am growing until I reach that point and suspect it will be around classic length for me but who knows, I might end up growing beyond that depending on how I feel when I get there!

Marika
May 7th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I think I could handle any length but I don't necessarily want to. But I admit, I've become more interested in what my terminal length might be. Maybe around classic or thigh (probably with lots of taper). For some reason I can't even imagine longer. All I know my hair was still growing at tbl. I haven't even set any particular goal this time but I'd like to get past tbl. Maybe cut back to tbl if longer lengths aren't for me.

Anje
May 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I haven't found it yet, but I'm only at tailbone. I don't know how I'd do with hair longer than my arms, but I imagine I'd adapt just fine. More likely, I'd get myself stuck in an office chair with wheels if my braid got long enough to catch in them and declare that my limit. :lol:

endlessly
May 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I would consider my current length pretty unmanageable! It sits at wrist-level, just shy of classic, and it is definitely a lot of work especially if I want to wear it down. Wearing it up is the only way I can handle having long hair, but braiding it and styling it is utterly exhausting!

However, I still have this curiosity to see just how long it can grow before I reach terminal, so I'm just going to deal with it until then!

FallingDarkness
May 7th, 2014, 12:37 PM
TBL would be difficult, and classic and beyond just seems impossible for me! Hip seems like a good goal length because it's still a very long length, but not completely unmanageable. Plus, if I went beyond hip my hair would take far too long to dry.... :/ And ew brushing out the tangles sounds like a nightmare.

sourgrl
May 7th, 2014, 12:49 PM
For me, it would be the moment it gets caught in my jeans when I pull them up. My goal isn't for super long hair. It's for long hair that's healthy and fun for me to have. At solid hip I should be able to do most LHC styles and let my hair down on date night without it feeling like it's in the way.

Soltimus
May 7th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I think when it becomes a pain to brush. Right now I'm hoping classic isn't going to be a problem, but I'm not sure I'd grow it much longer simply because I can't see myself brushing it properly and keeping it tangle free.

spidermom
May 7th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Classic length became almost unbearable for me, more due to dried out ends than the length. If I could get there and beyond without Velcro ends, I think I'd be o.k. with it.

Earelia
May 7th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Never had anything past waist length(current) so I'm not too sure. I'd imagine tbl would be a pain for me... We'll see. :) when that time comes I'm gonna get dreadlocks again woohoo!

rach
May 7th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I think the first question is first can i get to an unmanageable length? Secondly, Is my hair health the problem which makes it unmanageable? if so wait until it's not unhealthy. Thirdly is it mind set or do new skills and "know how" need revising?

I'm not good at answering question , seems to always prompt new questions :doh:

PrincessBob
May 7th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Probably within 4 inches of floor length would be a problem. It becomes somewhat difficult past knee, but i still want to get to 69 inches and have hair almost as long as I am.

chen bao jun
May 7th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Seconding this! You sure summed it up well!

I think the first question is first can i get to an unmanageable length? Secondly, Is my hair health the problem which makes it unmanageable? if so wait until it's not unhealthy. Thirdly is it mind set or do new skills and "know how" need revising?

I'm not good at answering question , seems to always prompt new questions :doh:

Night_Kitten
May 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I'm at mid-thigh now (longest it's ever been), and so far it seems that as it grows I adjust and tweak my routine without even realizing I'm doing it, so I'd say no length would be completely unmanageable - where there's a will there's a way ;)
I wear my hair up almost all the time (except when drying after the wash) though, so as long as I find ways to comb it and nice updoes I don't foresee much issues...
That being said, I do think that near floor and longer would require learning new ways of washing and drying it and probably combing and styling too as I wouldn't want the ends touching the floor while I comb or style... Now all I have to do is get past floor length to put that theory to the test :pray:

Madora
May 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I'd say just past fingertip length for me..but only in the sense that braiding it for my favorite lace accent crown braid is difficult because keeping the ends separated as I braid is a holy trial.

That being said, I might let it grow a little longer but I don't know if my patience would match my desire.

Panth
May 8th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I guess ankle/near floor would bring new challenges, though I doubt I'd reach that.

In my experience TBL+ is a game-changer (the increased wear from being able to sit on my hair meant daily updos were required after this point) and fingertip+ was a little bit of a game-changer (required modifications to combing and plaiting, as I couldn't reach to the ends any more), but neither resulted in "unmanageable" hair. That said, things would be rather different were I in less good heath, so I guess it's all relative...

Vrindi
May 8th, 2014, 11:00 AM
My hair became manageable when it got past waist-length. But I don't want it to go any longer than classic. It's close to classic now, and I'm maintaining to get thicker ends. but I do too many activities where anything longer would require much more care and attention than I'm willing to give. I'm not going to stop swimming in the ocean, I already have to keep it up for climbing so it doesn't get caught in equipment, and I already have to be careful not to sit on it. But I can still wear it down and not have to be completely focused on where it is either.

UltraBella
May 8th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I found that TBL was just too much for me. I just felt like I was being suffocated by gobs of hair. It was so warm and heavy, I have never regretted cutting it.

blue_eyes
May 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM
The longest my hair has ever been is waist length, and I loved it, but given that experience I think the most I could handle is hip length. I think this is because I always wear my hair down, so with hair longer than hip length I'd be sitting on it regularly. My hair was cut from WL to APL, and it's nearly grown back to BSL now. I'm already beginning to remember the 'challenges' of long hair, like it getting caught under the strap of your bag when you throw it over your shoulder :P I'm just trying to get back to WL and we'll see how it goes, but I think hip will be the maximum I ever let it go.

rags
May 8th, 2014, 02:52 PM
My hair is baby fine, thin, and I'm in poor health. I'm unsure whether it will even make it to my pre-LHC terminal of tailbone. But assuming it will grow longer - I think classic would be my limit personally. I just haven't the energy ir strength anymore to deal with it longer than that.

ositarosita
May 8th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Anything beyond BCL is just tooo much for me. I workout about six days a week, my takes hours to dry, dogs try to eat it, husband claims its in his face ... and this is with my current hair length (APLish) besides I think anything BCL isn't flattering for me anyway

ReneeG
May 8th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Although I have never had hair past BSL, I am aiming for WL. That being said, I am in the Army, and I dont think that it would be manageable for me any longer that WL!! My sister has hip length hair and is in the Air Force, and it takes her forever to get ready in the morning, and she uses a TON of products to keep it back and looking professional in her buns, and the products really do a number on the thickness of her hair, which has become much thinner since she joined 5 or so years ago. I just dont think I have the patience for that, and I abhor styling products outside of a little oil or leave in conditioner.... So WL is probably my manageability limit until I get out of the service (way down the road!).

sally_neuf
May 8th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I got quite annoyed at hip- had to cut back to waist before chopping it all off under stress!

Sharysa
May 8th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Weird, I find that even hip-length straight is more manageable than waist; hip-length waves would be the same at least. Maybe since my hair's so thick, waist-length was barely manageable for me.

julya
May 9th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Once my hair got past knee I could no longer braid it in any reasonable amount of time. It now is on the floor when washing, which bothered me at first, but I am used to it now. The trick is to avoid stepping on it. :) I wouldn't call it unmanageable yet, because it grows so slowly I get used to new length bit by bit.

Quahatundightu
May 9th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Mine is halfway between TB and classic and it is definitely less manageable than it was -I find it harder to do intricate styles which I used to love doing. I also wear it down less often because it gets everywhere. But washing it hasn't really changed, nor does it take up any more of my time on a daily basis. I can no longer imagine it any longer than classic though. But it is true that your routine changes as your hair grows. I have a great sleep routine for example, my hair goes up in a topknot and I forget about it because it's so light it feels like I have short hair.

Natalia
May 10th, 2014, 12:02 AM
I think for me it would be somewhere in the mid thigh to knee range. At that point it would be much to hard for me to manage washing, drying, and protective styling. I feel at that length even my modest thickness and density i would start having weight issues with buns and even braided it would be too long to tuck a braid down my shirt to protect it and keep it out of the way

Lucky_Lucy
May 10th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I think for me it would be anything too long to fit under my swimming cap(thank the Gods/Speedo XD for long hair caps). I haven't been swimming lately though, and I'm at waist(barely). My goal would be TBL, but idk how that will work out. Fingertip fascinates me, but I think that would be too long, especially for working out/swimming etc. That said, my hair isn't nearly as thick as it used to be(now the circumference of my ponytail is 3.5, and it used to be 5.5), and I'm guessing it wouldn't be manageable at all(for me) with that

I need proof. Assuming by BSL you mean the bottom of bra band, I don't believe one's hair can grow that much in 5 months. Unless you're wearing one very wrong size bra and it's riding up on the back like nobody's business. Also, I tend to see questions like that as not-so-subtle bragging.
Sorry, not sorry ;)

^Let the kid brag :P Maybe her measuring isn't exactly accurate, but it's hard to get them to be accurate, especially when there's no one to help you with it. I'd say if she's measuring her roots, she's probably right; I remember when I first started growing my hair, it grew from mid-neck to just past collarbone(that's more than or around 3 inches I guess) in 5-6 months(from August to around January) , and I remember that because I had a bob haircut and I had to cut the longest hairs back to midneck and I was really upset. After that, my growth kind of stalled for a while(I had health problems).

Lucky_Lucy
May 10th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I think for me it would be anything too long to fit under my swimming cap(thank the Gods/Speedo XD for long hair caps). I haven't been swimming lately though, and I'm at waist(barely). My goal would be TBL, but idk how that will work out. Fingertip fascinates me, but I think that would be too long, especially for working out/swimming etc. That said, my hair isn't nearly as thick as it used to be(now the circumference of my ponytail is 3.5, and it used to be 5.5), and I'm guessing it wouldn't be manageable at all(for me) with that

Sorry, not sorry ;)

^Let the kid brag :P Maybe her measuring isn't exactly accurate, but it's hard to get them to be accurate, especially when there's no one to help you with it. I'd say if she's measuring her roots, she's probably right; I remember when I first started growing my hair, it grew from mid-neck to just past collarbone(that's more than or around 3 inches I guess) in 5-6 months(from August to around January) , and I remember that because I had a bob haircut and I had to cut the longest hairs back to midneck and I was really upset. After that, my growth kind of stalled for a while(I had health problems).

MINAKO
May 10th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I would never want to give up straightening completely, so upper thigh is the maximum i intend to go for.

Komao
May 10th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Since I reached waist length, I've found my hair tangles much less. It could be things I'm now doing, thanks to LHC.
I CO, wear it up a lot and braid at night. I like using coconut and jojoba oil. I'm now at hip length working to TBL.
So I'll have to wait and see but hopefully, my goal for now is thigh length, that I'll be able to handle hair easily. If not easily, I'll try my darnedest to manage my mane at any length I decide I would like to attain. :o

veryhairyfairy
May 10th, 2014, 06:49 AM
I actually had to rethink my ultimate goal length because of short arms. I realized that classic is end-of-thumb length on me, and there's only two inches after that before my hair grows beyond my reach. I just don't think I want to deal with hair that I can't comb or braid all the way to the ends without an awesome maneuver like wrapping it around my neck lol!

My main hair goal in terms of length is a single English braid that I can wrap around my head crown-braid style. If I have to grow a few inches outside my comfort, I'll do that. ;)

MINAKO
May 10th, 2014, 06:52 AM
I found that TBL was just too much for me. I just felt like I was being suffocated by gobs of hair. It was so warm and heavy, I have never regretted cutting it.

OMG your signature! :heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat The shorter length suits you really well!

queenovnight
May 10th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Well, I've not hit my goal but honestly.. I think classic might end up being unmanageable for me. I'm already having a hard time and im not even at TBL yet. Growing curly hair is just a serious task and I kinda don't want to imagine how difficult it would be at classic. - I like the IDEA of growing until I hit terminal, but I get easily irritated and realistically.. I can see myself either staying at classic or cutting up to TBL. We shall see!

nicolezoie
May 10th, 2014, 09:58 AM
My hair is a couple inches on the floor at the very tippy tips. The only time it is ever unmanageable is when it is wet. But, that's been the case since it was much, much shorter.

soothsayer
May 10th, 2014, 10:26 AM
When my hair was longer in middle school, it started to bother me when it crept past BSL; that was probably because I didn't really know how to put it up and had no experience with long hair before. Now that I'm older, I probably couldn't deal with it much beyond waist. My hair gets extremely heavy as it grows, so any updos beyond that level would kill my head.

SkyChild
May 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I don't know because my hair's never been beyond "a bit below shoulder" before. I like the idea of growing til terminal but then worry that I wouldn't be able to handle it if my hair was on the floor. I'm also clumsy enough that I will probably end up shutting it in doors and similar if it gets to about BSL.

LunaHuntress
May 10th, 2014, 01:58 PM
My hair's never been beyond BSL-WL, so I really don't know. Maybe past classic length, when it's past the easy reach of my arms, would be difficult. Guess I'll find out when I get there.

HeavenlyTresses
May 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I've been maintaining at ankle for a while now to thicken up the ends but recently decided to let it grow out some more, curiosity getting the better of me to see how far it will go. But...this morning before I was able to drink some coffee and gain some common sense I stepped on it, not once but twice :doh: Until now I've been able to wear it down most of the time but if I let it grow I will have to braid it every day, carry it around in my hand or pull a little red wagon around behind me. Right now I enjoy the brushing, the braids and the care but I don't want it to become something that's more of a chore than a joy.

0xalis
May 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Classic length. If I can sit on it, It's too long.

Honestly, with trying to keep my hair in pristine condition, APL got to be too much for me. I think If I do decide to start growing out my hair again, I'm just going to let it do it's thing and care a lot less.

sparrowswing
May 10th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Up (down?) to fingertip length was fine for me. Even a bit beyond fingertip, because I could still reach it all when it was draped over my shoulder. At mid-thigh it's getting to be too long for me. Whether it'll continue being that way or I'll just adapt and learn new ways to deal with it, I don't know. I'm still going to try for knee length either way, but just detangling and washing are such a chore right now. It was so much easier before I hit classic.

DreamWalker
May 10th, 2014, 04:23 PM
My hair is currently just beyond fingertip length. It's still entirely manageable for me, but I'm right at the point where I'm going to start not being able to reach the end on a single braid (already there for double braids - I have to hold them in my mouth if I want them pulled tight.) Certainly it's much harder to manage now that when it was shorter. Right about tailbone length was when it started really getting harder to handle for me. Above tailbone was pretty easy, as it gets farther below it gets exponentially more difficult. But, at least for now, I think it's worth it :)

veryhairyfairy
May 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I've been maintaining at ankle for a while now to thicken up the ends but recently decided to let it grow out some more, curiosity getting the better of me to see how far it will go. But...this morning before I was able to drink some coffee and gain some common sense I stepped on it, not once but twice :doh: Until now I've been able to wear it down most of the time but if I let it grow I will have to braid it every day, carry it around in my hand or pull a little red wagon around behind me. Right now I enjoy the brushing, the braids and the care but I don't want it to become something that's more of a chore than a joy.
(bolding mine)

That may be the most awesome and cutest thing I've seen today, and I've been on the internet all day looking at awesome and cute things! :lol: :thumbsup:

New goal length: Radio Flyer length.

chen bao jun
May 10th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Just saw your photos, Nicolezoie, that is some hair. I have seen Heavenlytresses before, it would be fascinating to see photos of you two floor length ladies together. Thudworthy!
Nicolezoie, your hair is not thin at the ends.

CremeTron
May 11th, 2014, 03:34 AM
My mother has had classic length hair before. I do not know how long my hair CAN get but I will be happy to have it at BSL in it's natural curly state. I find my hair manageable and I think I will continue to. What I find hard is babying the ends. At least at goal I know I will at least maintain if nothing else. When I handle my hair now, the frustration is I worry I am losing hair just by touching it etc. Not much but enough to stop it from becoming longer. And that makes it take forever to do anything to it. Fear.

Also I think a single braid will be more satisfying with longer hair. My hair is around collar bone level dry and and about an inch or so below that with gel in- again dry. I have to pull on a curl for it to stretch out and look it's true length which means sometimes I will put it up for an hour sometimes so it it will look stretched out a little bit, especially if I have an event I want to look nice for. But then that causes mechanical damage. So I know I will do less with it when it visually looks longer. I will cringe less and take less time to do stuff to it when longer.

I will not deliberately be rough but I will slightly less tentative. And once maintaining, regular trims will be part of the routine if necessary.

In short, I think my hair will be easier as it gets longer and that probably anything past waist will be my limit. So at BSL I ought to be fine :D

Johannah
May 11th, 2014, 03:43 AM
If my hair is long enough, I want to wear it down. So TBL will be max for me, I guess. :)

Dessi
May 11th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Hip length is absolutely okay for me now and I think Classic will be okay too. Maybe fingertip+ will be hard. I don't know. I want only Classic for now so I'm not really worried about when the hard times will come. :D

Theobroma
May 11th, 2014, 06:49 AM
My hunch is that I'd find anything too far beyond fingertip too annoying to bother with. Whether that would qualify as "unmanageable" in any objective sense I don't know.

Saldana
May 11th, 2014, 06:56 AM
I"m not sure, since my hair has never been longer than TBL (yet). I'm thinking I could probably handle mid-thigh length just fine, because I keep my hair up the vast majority of the time anyway. After that, I'd probably just get aggravated with it. All of this is dependent on me being in good health and able to take care of it, of course. Keeping bangs I think will allow me to grow it longer without it getting too heavy, which will also help. Last time it was long, it was all one length blunt cut, and often the weight of a bun would pull and give me headaches.

HeavenlyTresses
May 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
(bolding mine)

That may be the most awesome and cutest thing I've seen today, and I've been on the internet all day looking at awesome and cute things! :lol: :thumbsup:

New goal length: Radio Flyer length.

Radio Flyer length, I love it :grin:

HadessThera
May 11th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I think any length where I'm in danger of sitting on it, I'm too clumsy as it is :D

Ambystoma
May 12th, 2014, 03:44 AM
I think past Classic for me - I don't want to have to worry about sitting on it. It's actually easier at Tailbone than it was at Waist funnily enough, the weight makes it stay where I put it better and the ends aren't at prime "getting into everything" length anymore.

Nymphea
June 4th, 2014, 09:01 AM
My hair starts to be challenging around TBL where I am now (and where I constantly end up in my so many times repeated waist-hip-TBL-waist-hip-TBL-etc journeys). It's just that I like to wear my hair down, and at TBL it seems to be catching up in almost everything, including my arms! I can't quite point at what exactly makes the difference between, let's say, waist and TBL (since both are pretty much long enough to be caught up in everything), but at waist it's easy and bouncy, and at TBL it's just... Everywhere!

On the other hand, updos are much more manageable at TBL.

I've never had my hair at classic (except when I was a child, but I don't count it since it was not exactly me who cared for my hair then) so I don't know how it will work. Let's wait and see.

chen bao jun
June 4th, 2014, 09:44 AM
I feel you, CremeTron. I think worrying about losing hair by just touching it is a stage we go through on LHC. At least in my case, after I had been on a while and realized my hair WAS getting longer, in spite of occasionally finding a few short broken off ends, I stopped agonizing so much every time that happened. But it took some time.
Yeah, i want my hair to look BSL when curly, also, which means it will be just about waist probably lol. and I love the single braid look too (I think we have discussed that before!). I find I'm stressing less nowadays about how long it looks though, too. I'm starting to think its kind of fun to have hair that can look like its above my shoulders when I want it, even though its actually BSL. Like you, I'm learning tricks to show more of the length (without straightening which I hate) and not stressing when it doesn't show. There was a while when I sat around comparing my hair to everybody elses' in the room and getting mad thinking, my hair is actually longer than hers and hers and hers, and why doesn't it look as if it is, it's not fair, but now I'm enjoying thinking, I'm the one with the magic hair and can surprise people with my length when I want to! At least, now I think like that some of the time...
You and me would be able to be classic length, without necessarily having to sit on our hair and floor length without walking on it :D

My mother has had classic length hair before. I do not know how long my hair CAN get but I will be happy to have it at BSL in it's natural curly state. I find my hair manageable and I think I will continue to. What I find hard is babying the ends. At least at goal I know I will at least maintain if nothing else. When I handle my hair now, the frustration is I worry I am losing hair just by touching it etc. Not much but enough to stop it from becoming longer. And that makes it take forever to do anything to it. Fear.

Also I think a single braid will be more satisfying with longer hair. My hair is around collar bone level dry and and about an inch or so below that with gel in- again dry. I have to pull on a curl for it to stretch out and look it's true length which means sometimes I will put it up for an hour sometimes so it it will look stretched out a little bit, especially if I have an event I want to look nice for. But then that causes mechanical damage. So I know I will do less with it when it visually looks longer. I will cringe less and take less time to do stuff to it when longer.

I will not deliberately be rough but I will slightly less tentative. And once maintaining, regular trims will be part of the routine if necessary.

In short, I think my hair will be easier as it gets longer and that probably anything past waist will be my limit. So at BSL I ought to be fine :D

Fericera
June 4th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I would say that probably floor length or beyond would be what I'd consider getting unmanageable. My hair is fairly easy to care for and I enjoy it long, but I would want to be able to wear it in a braid without it dragging on the ground.

BonnieU
June 4th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Gosh, personally I think anywhere beyond tailbone, but who knows I might get there and want to go further. Something about being a curly makes me think it would be unmanageable past that point but I'm sure lots of curlies venture to classic...

Loviatar
June 4th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Anything beyond fingertip for me I imagine. However I've worked out that knee on me would be 62", so who knows?! ;)

kganihanova
June 5th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Anything where I can't braid properly or use claws

Earelia
June 5th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Hmmm... Not quite sure since it's a little past waist right now and in the best condition it's ever been in which I am super proud of. :D Still pretty manageable too. I hope that won't change too much one I'm at TBL. But when it does become too much I'm really thinking about dreadlocks again so that it can grow even more and I won't have to worry about detangling all the time.

ravenheather
June 5th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I want to find out what my terminal is but I honestly can't imagine longer than knee. I admit I am fascinated with the routines of knee and beyond people.

SkyChild
June 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Longest I've been is somewhere between shoulder and APL. Currently back at that now. I think probably classic is likely to be my unmanageable length as I am pretty clumsy and can easily imagine getting it caught in doors, windows, zips etc
Just going to wait and see

Feathered
June 5th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I'd have to say probably at whatever length causes me to sit on it. I don't want to be yanking my head backwards and pulling my hair every time I sit down. I would think sitting on it would cause damage, too. I'm just guessing, though, since I've never had my hair that long...yet. Good question.

JessicaAnn
June 5th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I've had my hair down to about my tailbone before, and while I could still care for it I didn't much like to as I couldn't do much with it beyond braiding. And when I get bored with the way my hair looks the care of it slips. Waist length with layers was fun, but I getting beyond that I was definitely headed back for "SO MUCH HAIR" territory. So I will say BSL - WL is my ideal, anything beyond that I CAN care for it pretty easily, I just don't like to. My haircut routine used to be to let it grow about to waist and then cut it up to BSL and get the layers redone. Doing this twice a year kept it pretty well under control so that's what I'm headed back for.

gossamer
June 5th, 2014, 12:48 PM
My hair's at ankle length right now and I admit I'm struggling with it. Some of my go-to styles at knee pull differently on my scalp at this length, making them uncomfortable. When I'm washing my hair, the ends drag on the floor of the bathtub and in the not-yet-drained shower water, which is probably not good for them. I definitely can't ever wear it down.

My goal was to grow to terminal or floor, whichever came first. I'm a couple inches away from floor and looking forward to going back to knee or fingertip length, when my hair should be a lot easier to deal with again.

Morganaa
June 5th, 2014, 12:52 PM
My goal is the classic lenght. More than that I'd find it difficult to manage, evenmore so that I work in Paris and pollution is so not a good think. Public transportation is another burden to keep in mind.

akka naeda
June 5th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I have no idea. My hair was knee last time I bothered to check, I doubt it's grown much more. I work outdoors in all weathers and it's not causing me any problems, so until it got long enough that having it plaited and bunned pulled uncomfortably I'd be happy with it from the POV of plaiting and daily wear but I expect floor length would be too long because then drying it would become awkward.

evb
June 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM
My initial LH goal was waist and I am well beyond that now. I am thinking classic to maybe fingertip length as a goal. What I have found for myself is that hair grows slowly enough that the minor tweaks you make to accommodate 'the next level' are not noticeable.

I do find washing my hair a chore even tho I concentrate on the scalp and I do find the weight of wet hair along with the dry time bothersome but I have had neck surgery and have degenerative spine disease so arms up for extended period of time to wash, condition, comb, wash etc is painful but that was the case about a foot ago and hasn't gotten significantly worse. ALSO I hate lying on my braid and trapping myself or having my braid lay over my neck while I sleep so I guess I need to french instead of english for take-up and out of way. I tend to just flip it on husband before turning in bed etc. He goes all Hey now but since he is the one who wanted it longer than BSL he gets to suck it up

AmberJewel
June 5th, 2014, 01:19 PM
My original LHC goal was hip when I started from APL a couple years ago. Just reached hip recently, and now I'm thinking somewhere around fingertip length or knee. Longer than that, I'm not sure. I don't think I'll ever go past ankle length. My personal limit.

twiglet
June 5th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Since I haven't had my hair long in years (and still don't consider it long now at almost BSL) I'm not fully sure at what length it would become unmanageable.

My current goal is waist and I have a secondary goal of classic (mostly because I want to donate my hair again but wouldn't do it until I had a lot of length to work with so the mishap that occurred the first time won't happen again) but I don't think either of those would be particularly unmanageable, just very time consuming. I'll go with fingertip. Anything past fingers would just add an extra level of difficulty to my hair that I think would make caring for it unenjoyable and therefore unmanageable.

melilot
June 5th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I think I adjust the answer to this question as my hair grows. The longer it gets, the longer my limit grows too. For me, knee length is unmanageable, but I can see this changing someday. The only thing I can see that's unmanageable is the backaches and not having time to properly style it daily. My hair is almost at TB length and it has been giving me neck/back aches lately. No idea how floor length hair owners manage this!

AspenSong
June 5th, 2014, 05:39 PM
My hair is about mid-thigh I guess right now, and I really can't see a time I feel my hair is unmanageable. Maybe ankle, maybe not. lol. I think with my hair being so fine and thin, it makes it much easier I suppose to consider having it past knee if it grows that long because I have no issues with weight, etc.