PDA

View Full Version : Emma Stone's new hair is tempting me

thistledown
May 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
http://www.bellamumma.com/2014/04/hair-crush-emma-stones-new-bob.html
I love this hair cut! I wish I had the guts to cut mine.......but I worry I'll regret it :( Having never had short hair I think it'd be a perfect first cut........I'm wondering if you could still pull this back? I wonder how long it'd take to grow back to hip from that length..... I also wonder how hard it'd be to style? It's so cute! I'm tempted :)
Vanessa

molljo
May 6th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Very cute! My hair will probably be very close to this cut at around the end of July. It's definitely long enough to pull back. I would caution you that a bit of wave is necessary for this cut to look messy/flirty, and so I worry you might have some troubles on the styling front if you want to avoid heat. This (http://content.latest-hairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/sleek-and-framed-summery-long-bob-for-straight-hair-and-tapered-front-layers.jpg) is what the cut would probably look like straight. As for growing out to hip? 4-5 years, maybe?

meteor
May 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Cute! But if you get bored with it, it would take so long to grow out your long hair again. And I agree, it won't look the same on straight hair without quite a bit of product and styling.
Why not do a "faux bob" style instead? Or maybe just get yourself a copper-coloured wig and give it ombre like what you see on Emma Stone?

ebba
May 6th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I would wait 2 weeks to make sure you are hopefully not going to regret it but there is nothing wrong with wanting a bob! This forum of course leans towards longer hair but experimenting with your hair is a fun thing to do. Don't be afraid to go for it if you think you're going to love it

Nightshade
May 6th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I would look for pictures of a similar cut on normal people. It's very easy to like a hair cut on an exceptionally pretty girl whose hair is impeccably styled.

BambooBeauty
May 6th, 2014, 01:01 PM
soo cute! im so tempted to cut too!

threadOfGold
May 6th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Ah I think her hair is beautiful and yours would be too this length :) what face shape do you have, could you a post a picture? That can help when it comes to deciding on whether or not it would suit you (which I'm sure it will). However, your hair is beautiful now and doesn't need changing whatsoever!

bunnylake
May 6th, 2014, 02:50 PM
My hair is just a touch longer than this and I can pull it all back into a pony tail :)
If you are unsure, give it two weeks of thinking over. Search for images of this cut on someone with your hair type and face shape to give you a better idea what you might look like with it.

bunnylake
May 6th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Oh, and about styling: it all depends on your hair type. I need to use a waver (heat styling tool with S shape ceramic plates) to get this look but you could try finger waves or braiding, unless your hair will naturally dry with this wave.
If I comb my bangs down while they are still wet I can get them to dry nicely without heat.
Also I have a lot more volume at the roots naturally, and I require much less conditioner and no leave-in products. :)

thistledown
May 6th, 2014, 04:16 PM
You guys are always so helpful lol I love it all messy and textured, straight not so much......and let's face it I'm lazy with hair so doing it every morning is pretty unlikely. I have an oval face, high cheekbones and big eyes, I've been told a bob would really suit me but growing it out......:eek: I'm curious, how does one wear a wig with long hair? It'd be heaps of fun to be able to change my hair up for a day with no commitment but I just don't know how.
Vanessa

meteor
May 6th, 2014, 04:25 PM
You guys are always so helpful lol I love it all messy and textured, straight not so much......and let's face it I'm lazy with hair so doing it every morning is pretty unlikely. I have an oval face, high cheekbones and big eyes, I've been told a bob would really suit me but growing it out......:eek: I'm curious, how does one wear a wig with long hair? It'd be heaps of fun to be able to change my hair up for a day with no commitment but I just don't know how.
Vanessa
I've been referring to Torrinpage channel a lot lately :D Here's her video on wearing a short wig on long hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwYgtpdaqw

chen bao jun
May 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Braid your long hair into a crown braid around your head, put on a wig cap and try a similar wig.
I jsut look at that hair cut and it looks terribly high maintenance to me and five years is looooong time to wait to get your hair back. Her hair partly looks so cute because she has hairdressers at her beck and call, for regular people that artfully messy look is hard to keep up. I can see that looking lank, limp and frizzy very easily--most of the time.

ErinLeigh
May 6th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Her color is amazing. I have spent all week wondering if I could get that effect with a henna/cassia gloss on dark roots and blond and brown hair.

Tini'sNewHair
May 6th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I would look for pictures of a similar cut on normal people. It's very easy to like a hair cut on an exceptionally pretty girl whose hair is impeccably styled.

THIS ^^ I made that mistake a few times. Like going for a bob haircut, I couldnt stand it at all!!!! and without being styled, it turned into one HUGE PUFF of a mess. I had my hair at this length to and once again I didnt like it at all, my ends kept flipping and to my absolute SHOCK, even my strightener couldnt tame them at that length, it made my face a lot fatter and to put up I needed hairpins because most sections fell out. I just dont suit short hair period! :(

thistledown
May 6th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I love the colour too :) reds a pain to maintain though :( I guess I need a full time hair dresser lol I'll just settle for bangs for the time being ;)
Vanessa

clioariane
May 7th, 2014, 03:10 AM
It looks super cute on her but it's pretty short!

YamaMaya
May 7th, 2014, 08:06 AM
I had a cut similar to that in junior high, and it looked great going out of the salon, but of course, a few days later, TRIANGLE HEAD!! If your hair is on the thin side you could probably pull this off, but if your hair is thicker it would require considerable work to make it lay flat.

sally_neuf
May 7th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Well, I've been seeing this fashion trend for what they call "mid-hair" (really? that's like, ultra-short! BSL is still mid hair for me :p )
Anyway, I was also very very tempted some weeks ago... it looks so fresh and comfy and nice!
So I decided to cut some hair, went from hip to below waist and apparently that was good enough for me :) I was just getting really tired of my ends getting caught in everything... I guess after waist things just get more difficult!
To sum up, maybe you can just cut a bit and see how you feel about it :blossom:

Rosa Harris
May 7th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I was looking at this picture - its not a bob - look carefully at the back of her neck.. her long hair is puled back and under her necklace giving the illusion of a bob.

Edit: dramatic texture like that is done by adding shadows in photoshop. I do it a lot in picture editing work.

Brynja
May 7th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Emma's hair is absolutely stunning! :D But I've already made the mistake of trying to get a similar hair cut to a celebrity I like *cough* short Winona Ryder *cough*,when I got the hair cut,I thought I'd look so cool and hip,unfortunatley pixie hair ain't for me :rolleyes: Emma's new hair is so colorful though! I can see all sorts of shades!

bunnylake
May 7th, 2014, 08:58 AM
I found an article about her hair cut here http://www.allure.com/beauty-trends/blogs/daily-beauty-reporter/2014/05/emma-stone-mara-roszak-long-bob.html

bunnylake
May 7th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I was looking at this picture - its not a bob - look carefully at the back of her neck.. her long hair is puled back and under her necklace giving the illusion of a bob.

Edit: dramatic texture like that is done by adding shadows in photoshop. I do it a lot in picture editing work.

I think it's a real bob.... I found a lot of photos of her with this hair cut and she's not wearing a necklace in this picture to tuck her hair into. You can get dramatic texture like this with the right products, also. It's not impossible. :)

spidermom
May 7th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I like that. I once had a collarbone version of the wedge haircut, and it was so easy and cute. Now I'm tempted, too.

Rosa Harris
May 7th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Interesting. Maybe she was playing with the idea in the picture before going all the way? The hair length down her neck onto her back is clearly visible if you look. There are only a few bob-length strands toward the front in the picture. The rest of the hair is curved and bunched back to give the illusion plus a little editing with shadows - more obvious if you open it in Photoshop and look at the detail up close. Photoshop does not equal fake - you can get that texture - it just means a lot of times bringing out things more in photos - photography it isn't easy to capture hair detail and often needs a little help.

My avatar is heavily shopped but that is taking it to the extreme tho the hair color is the henna flare I got under very bright lighting. It's not my best job - I got lazy on it.

ErinLeigh
May 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Her hair is really cute. That is not argued. The thing you have to ask yourself is how would it look on you with your hair type and texture. Considering you have never been short it is a really hard question to answer. You have no memories or experiences to fall back on. Short hair can have a tendency to lie funny since there isn't the weight of length pulling it down straight. You really have to have an idea how hair behaves. It will take some styling manipulation. Short hair isn't hard to style by any means, but if you are a strictly wash and go personality the feeling of "needing" to blow dry, tousle, touch up or whatever can wear on you. These cuts can be worn natural of course but they don't translate the same without a little tweaking here and there usually.

As far as looks you can roll up a faux bob and see if you like how shorter hair looks near your face. Since you haven't been short before I would probably start with bangs like you said..then if the urge is still there go for a trim and see if that satisfies you. If you like it and want more take it up in stages until you are happy. This will give you time to see how your hair behaves when lighter, and gives you control of knowing when it could cross into "too much work" or let you see that hey, this does work for me.

I would be tempted by this too. The cut and style are appealing. What does your gut say though?

Hootenanny
May 7th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) the people who said you should look for pics of this cut on regular people (preferably people who have features similar to yours), and on people with your hair type. Back when Ginnifer Goodwin got her pixie, I fell in the love with the look, and eventually got the same cut. She has a round face, wears lots of eye makeup, has a cute little nose, and has hair texture in the 1's. I have a thin face, wear little to no makeup, have a sizable schnoz, and have 3b curls. Guess how the cut turned out on me? Hint: we need an icon that's the opposite of a thud-pile. :lol:

stachelbeere
May 7th, 2014, 01:59 PM
what a beautiful hair cut and colour <3 loving it! I wish I could have her hair like it is on the picture for a day :)

but! about the styling part, here's what it says:

"For the rest of your hair: Towel-dry and mix cream whip and curl enhancer in palms. Work through hair, roots to ends. Blowdry hair in hands, tossing around to encourage texture and volume. Scrunch and twist hair in fingers and blowdry the twists up and down for a more defined, wavy texture."

my 1b hair (and probably your 1a hair too) is laughing at that. Wavy texture? Try a curling iron instead.

eva888
May 7th, 2014, 02:38 PM
what a beautiful hair cut and colour <3 loving it! I wish I could have her hair like it is on the picture for a day :)

but! about the styling part, here's what it says:

"For the rest of your hair: Towel-dry and mix cream whip and curl enhancer in palms. Work through hair, roots to ends. Blowdry hair in hands, tossing around to encourage texture and volume. Scrunch and twist hair in fingers and blowdry the twists up and down for a more defined, wavy texture."

my 1b hair (and probably your 1a hair too) is laughing at that. Wavy texture? Try a curling iron instead.

Hahaha WOW if I did that to my hair it would look like... http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/attachments/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/41616d1390054960-i-think-i-actually-prefer-my-hair-frizzy-imageuploadedbycurltalk1390054956.746922.jpg

Seriously tossing hair around while you're blowdrying it is the worst advice ever.

Her haircut is so adorable though, and she pulls it off so well. Cute dos like these always tempt me to get bangs. I love her new hair color too! I think that this looks like a really high maintenance style for me personally because I am very anti-heat. I've used a blow dryer only once in the past year. I think this cut could look cute on straight hair as well, but it is such a "trendy" cut.

You should keep your long hair. It's so beautiful! :flower: :)

Also the photo is just not photoshopped. Here is a video from the same event. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2612730/Emma-Stone-reveals-boob-pale-Prada-dress-New-York-premiere-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2.html#v-3505631850001

stachelbeere
May 7th, 2014, 03:25 PM
eva888 loving that photo :D it seems spot on haha

thank for posting the link to the video - she looked so beautiful <3 but I can see how much went into the styling of that bob. her hair is interestingly curled as well.

PrincessPhoebe
May 9th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Exactly this:

I love beautifully styled bobs, and was forever cutting back to that sort of length. It took me years to accept that I just don't have the patience or skill to successfully recreate the look at home on a regular basis.

Emma looks great though - gorgeous colour too.

MaryO
May 9th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Very pretty cut but maaaan, I hate to grow out bangs. Just the thought of it is enough to discourage me. :-(

queenovnight
May 9th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I've always loved that style (and the longer variation.) Unfortunately, it's a high maintenance look and I personally can't do 'high maintenance.' I also think it's a commitment! Anything with bangs is a commitment. Be sure you love that cut because it'll take forever to grow back.

- Coming from someone whose still growing out Bettie Bangs, 3 years later.

höpönasu
May 9th, 2014, 12:15 PM
So cute! Somehow I managed to fall in love with bobs/shoulder length cuts... Resisting, resisting...
I've heard that there's a certain hairstyle to fake bob. I don't know how it's done. Faux bob to google it.

MINAKO
May 9th, 2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.bellamumma.com/2014/04/hair-crush-emma-stones-new-bob.html
I love this hair cut! I wish I had the guts to cut mine.......but I worry I'll regret it :( Having never had short hair I think it'd be a perfect first cut........I'm wondering if you could still pull this back? I wonder how long it'd take to grow back to hip from that length..... I also wonder how hard it'd be to style? It's so cute! I'm tempted :)
Vanessa

Joining... Kiko Mizuhara's hair has been tempting me forever, i still didn't cut it because i think i would miss putting it in a nice simple bun. Going by your avatar yor hair is slightly longer than mine, i think it would take 3-4 years (depending on your growth rate and trim schedule) to get it back.

Ah well, short hair can be lovely as well, looks so effortless and is easy to wear down without getting caught in everything. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1F3xHrMeT8