PDA

View Full Version : Stress related shedding. Please tell me your experiences?

MariamPhilauri
May 6th, 2014, 07:13 AM
A few months ago I noticed that my hair is not as thick as it was 2 years ago :( It is not thin or something, about 8-9 cm ponytail circumference, but I definetely see the difference. I think I had 2x thick hair than this.
Two years ago I experienced major stressful events, lost my loved one, I had depression and panic attacks, that I got better but after that my best friend moved to a new school and it was a big stress :\ I didnt notice any difference in my hair until my haidresser told me about it. Than one dermatologist said my my hair had wide partline or told about my hair cleavage, I didnt understand properly. (I went to dermatologist because of acne, I have it since 12 or so) So I have been worrying about it about 3-4 months, I want my thick hair back :(
Does stress related hair loss grow back?
I have PCOS, but I have irregular periods since I hit puberty and never experienced hair loss before.
Also I doubt to have nutritional deficiencies, I love eating very much :D And my diet is quite healthy.
Please tell me that my hair will grow back :( It's heatbreaking.

longhairedlady
May 6th, 2014, 07:14 AM
PCOS can cause hair loss.

MariamPhilauri
May 6th, 2014, 07:21 AM
I know, I had pcos symptoms for about few years, but never experienced hair loss before. Also I have normal levels of androgens.

MariamPhilauri
May 6th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I'm sure it is stress :( All I want to know is that will stress related hair shedding grows back? :(

vsvisionz
May 6th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I went threw this when I bought my house. I was always scared I would lose my job and as a result lose my house. It scared me to death. I was shedding like crazy for months. I ended up seeing a therapist, talking to someone unbiased seemed to help me a lot and my hair doesn't shed as badly as it was. Try mediation, yoga, therapy, see a doctor if the stress and anxiety are that bad because you might need something to help you threw this rough time. For me playing call of duty, reading, and completely submerging myself in a show I loved on Netflix helped a lot because I wouldn't think about the things that were stressing me out, I didn't have time to if I kept my mind busy with other things. I also, have really bad allergies so I would take benedryl at night and it helped me to sleep a lot so I didn't stay up all night thinking about the worst case senerios all the time. Proper sleep makes a big difference in stress levels I found out.

I'm sorry your going threw this. I know the shedding can make the stress even worse. But try not to think about it and try to be optimistic. Hair does grow back, even stress related hair loss, you just need to give it some time.

Wishing you the best!

diddiedaisy
May 6th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I had a massive stress related shed last year. It started in July/August but to be honest I only noticed in September when I put my hair up and noticed a thin patch. By then I had started shedding less but still more than I do now.

I only addressed it in December when I joined here. I started taking biotin and msm and within a couple of weeks I was hardly losing any hair. Now, I can see that I had an excessive shedding problem for years.

I did stop taking them about six weeks ago and I've starting shedding more again. Not enough to be concerned about, but I think I'll start taking them again. The only annoying thing is short hair (3-4 inches) completely all over my head Very messy with an up do, but better to have new growth than no growth.

Good luck with sorting it out

Nadine <3
May 6th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I went through a HUGE 2 month shed a few months ago when my boyfriend and my biggest support in my life was arrested. I was horribly depressed and the panic disorder that I already have, went through the roof. I was shedding handfuls for 2 months. I was so sad I just kept it braided for days on end. When I finally took out the braid, detangled and washed it, it came out by the handfuls. It eventually did stop, and now I have a halo of hairs sprouting all over the place.

~Abi~
May 6th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I've never had stress-related shedding, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't see why that hair can't grow back. As we've been discussing over on the "Growth Rate Experiments" thread, caffeine applied topically to the scalp not only helps hair grow faster, but it also reduces shedding. Doing rinses with coffee, or using a shampoo/conditioner (Garnier Fructis has one called "Fall Fight", for example) might stop any excessive shedding that you are still experiencing, and also help the hair grow back faster.

Imalath
May 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I experienced a bout of above-average shedding over a very long amount of time...about eight years. Halfway through college and up to the point where I finally found some reliable employment, I shed constantly. I also had hormonal and nutritional factors that played into my hair loss, but didn't have any income to treat them with. Sometimes it would feel like I lost just a little more than average, and other times I would go through weeks and months at a time where I lost fistfuls of hair daily. Thankfully I had very thick hair to start out with, so I never did get any bald spots, but there was and still is more scalp cleavage than I would like. My hairline receded about an inch overall by the time I finally got the shedding under control.

I don't mean to scare you, but it took about a year after my last great shedding episode to see new growth. Now that the regrowth has started though, I am seeing a lot of it. Six months ago when i thought it was first starting to grow back in, I was just getting little wispy bits along my parted hair that I knew weren't breakage...now I have fluff all over my crown, and a noticeable taper on individual clumps of hair. It's turned into quite the halo! I'm not sure I'll ever get my original hairline back, but I am very glad to see the return of at least some of my original volume.

Don't give up, you should at least see some of what you've lost grow back in :) Good luck!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 6th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I had a massive shed from stress last March from leaving my abusive husband and moving across the country, finding somewhere to live, getting a new job etc. My hair was coming out in handfuls every day for about 6 weeks. My ponytail circumference went from 4.25" down to 3.5". Towards the end of last year I noticed new hairs growing back again and now my circumference is back up to 4.25". Though the growth has a long way to go to reach my much thinner ends, at least it is re growing and will get there in the end (pun intended).

Also I am now engaged to the loveliest man who gives me the freedom to be the real me and just loves me to bits!

So yes, once the stress goes, and as long as there are no medical issues causing the hair loss, it will grow back.

vindo
May 6th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I have been dealing with hormonal imbalances and PMS. They may or may not have contributed to my hair loss episodes. It is hard to say. I was able to get my hormones balanced with these supplements:

http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2013/03/links-to-herbal-detox-hormone.html

They are also used for acne and PCOS. Maybe it is helpful! :flower:

MariamPhilauri
May 6th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I've never had stress-related shedding, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't see why that hair can't grow back. As we've been discussing over on the "Growth Rate Experiments" thread, caffeine applied topically to the scalp not only helps hair grow faster, but it also reduces shedding. Doing rinses with coffee, or using a shampoo/conditioner (Garnier Fructis has one called "Fall Fight", for example) might stop any excessive shedding that you are still experiencing, and also help the hair grow back faster.

Thank you, I'll try it definetely!

MariamPhilauri
May 6th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone for responses! I'll reduce my stress and try caffeine rinses, I'll update my progress in a few months :D

julee
May 7th, 2014, 05:45 AM
When I left school my hair was over 3" thick. After a few years in a very stressful job and thyroid problems it was less than 2". Now after a year of low stress it's back to 3" :)

MariamPhilauri
May 12th, 2014, 01:31 AM
I took a photo and saw that I have some regrowth!! I also have little hairs near my hairline, which I always had, but anyway it's sign that my hair is growing back :D Also I have regrowth along partline, too :D Can't wait till it grow back fully.
Shedding is normal, today I lost about 8-10 strands while washing, yesterday-16.

http://i60.tinypic.com/egcv3l.jpg