PDA

View Full Version : I may be forced to cut my hair off and I don't know what to do?

Leslieslsa
May 6th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I have hair a little past tailbone. The thing is I got arrested two weeks ago for driving on a suspended drivers license and my cars registration was also suspended. This was all due to driving without insurance ticket I did not take care of. My court date is at the end of the month and I am afraid I am going to get jail time. I live in Cook County Illinois and I have tried to ask around and find out if they make you cut your hair or not and no one seemed to know for absolute sure. Most said no, though. So I decided to call the sheriffs department and ask and the guy that answered said that they do cut it off, then he changed it to that they shave it off. Some people are telling me that the guy was just being a jerk, but I don't know what to think. I am severely mentally ill and have been in and out of the institutions 45 times at the age of 26. And cutting my hair off is about the WORST thing they could do to me. Honest to god. I am getting a lawyer and I am already reinstated everything I could and I am going to pay off the driving with no insurance ticket so all that leaves is the arrest for everything. Technically in Illinois it equals two class A misdemeanors. Most people are saying I won't go to jail for the first offense but others are saying it is possible. If they cut my hair off I don't know what I will do. I am always a danger to myself and if they do that I don't know what I will do. The lawyer is on vacation and is going to call me in a few days. I am going absolutely INSANE. I have looked all over online and cannot find anything that tells me the jails policy on hair length. I mean if I get ten days in jail they are going to chop my hair off?? That seems really steep. How would you guys feel about this? What should I do?

CaitlinM
May 6th, 2014, 01:38 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I think you should wait. You don't know that you're definitely going to jail. You don't know for sure if they will cut your hair.

Wait and see at your court date. Ask your lawyer. See if the judge sentences you, then ask your lawyer what the prison guidelines are.

It sounds like the guy who answered the phone at the Department of Corrections was just being a jerk. There are a lot of religions that forbid cutting the hair (Sikhism, for instance) and forcing people to comply with that would violate your civil liberties and set them up for a HUGE court case.

I hope everything goes well for you and that you don't worry about it too much in the meantime.

Hele
May 6th, 2014, 01:43 AM
the guy was messing with you, that's why when he heard how concerned you are he changed it from cut to shave. There's a lot of jaded people in that line of work. My ex from my early 20's was in and out of jail the entire time i was with him and interestingly enough he did time in cook county, he was from the area. His head was never shaved, and there's no way they'd shave womens' heads and not mens'. Plus media would be all over it if they did. So i say relax about the hair issue and just focus on your legal issues.

Marika
May 6th, 2014, 01:44 AM
I'm not familiar with US (or Illinois) law but can they even put mentally ill people in "regular" jails..? All I know that American celebrities don't seem to lose their hair if they end up in jail... :shrug: I can't imagine they would chop your hair off for 10 days.Try not to worry! :blossom:

Youngjae
May 6th, 2014, 02:30 AM
I have no idea on the laws of hair in prison, but I will say this. That's absolute bull! Nobody, not even the government or a police officer should be allowed to chop ANY part of your body off. As for the guy who kept changing his answer on what they would do to your hair, I would ring again and ask to talk to someone different. Honestly, I think anyone cutting off someones hair without permission is a form of assault. My best wishes for you and your gorgeous hair.

darklyndsea
May 6th, 2014, 02:43 AM
You might want to try doing an image search: [jail name] female inmates. A news search with the same terms might find some articles with pictures, too.

FireFromWithin
May 6th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I would also suggest complaining to a supervisor about the guy who told you you'd have to shave your hair. It can't be accepted policy to abuse people and that's what he did, emotional abuse of someone in a vulnerable situation. (Especially since he changed his answer seemingly to cause you more suffering). But I saw a documentary on an American boot camp thing (long term women prisoners given the option of a shorter boot camp) and they all came from jail with long hair.

MINAKO
May 6th, 2014, 04:55 AM
NO WAY! I don't live in the U.S., nor have i ever been imprisoned, but it's definitely crap what the guy on the phone told you. The only thing they could possibly do is take away sticks and forks, or scissors, but not your hair. In case theres no way around it, i'm sure it's not the best expirience to have, but as for your hair, just keep it oiled and in a tight braid or put it up with something that wouldn't be a potential weapon, like scrunchies or hairagamis.

browneyedsusan
May 6th, 2014, 05:24 AM
He was messing with you and needs reported.
They won't cut your hair.
I worked a few years in an Indiana prison, and have visited our women's prison. You can't be that different, over in Illinois.
I doubt you'll get jail time, if your jails are as crowded as ours. :)

walterSCAN
May 6th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Seriously, if you got the guy on the phone's name, give it to your attorney. They are not going to cut your hair off. They probably won't give you much to put it up with (in the unlikely event that you do get jail time, though I truly doubt it), but they won't cut it off.

Wildcat Diva
May 6th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Or give you much wash it with, product wise I would think.

Larki
May 6th, 2014, 08:20 AM
There's no way they forcibly cut your hair off in jail, that's infringing on your rights.

vsvisionz
May 6th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I doubt that they would make you cut your hair let alone shave it for jail time. But based on what your saying I really hope they wouldn't put you in jail for that, I'd honestly be shocked if they did.

If it makes a difference where I live they don't make inmates cut their hair. My brother has been arrested and has some very shaggy hair that has never been cut off, so I know they wouldn't do it to a woman. That just seems cruel.

lapushka
May 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Stop panicking first and foremost. There's no need for that. Don't run ahead of yourself here. You don't know what's going to happen. I remember you posting about this once before. You can only wait and see what decisions are going to be made, and you have your lawyer at your side, so it is not going to be atrocious, at least not what you're imagining is going to happen, I'm sure of that.

ravenreed
May 6th, 2014, 09:38 AM
You posted back in February about worrying about jail time over something different, also related to driving IIRC. I really, really hope that you are in contact with your mental health providers because something is not working for you if you are running into this problem repeatedly. In the mean time, working yourself into a frenzy over your hair isn't going to make your case go more smoothly. You need to appear calm and competent if you want the judge to work with you.

ErinLeigh
May 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
You will NOT be forced to cut off hair in jail. Also any jail time given (if any) would quickly be reduced once you got there. Lets say you were given 90 days. Being a non violent offence and factoring in overcrowding you would do a few days, probably 9 max, and be released. They would rather have fines, community service and other such stuff as opposed to using tax dollars having you sit in jail. A 10 day sentence could be as short as 1 day or time served. I more likely see probation if I were to guess.

Try your hardest not to worry. You will get past this and things will be ok. I know this is scary but I just do not see this turning into anything major. Especially being imprisoned and having hair cut off. You still have certain rights. This will just be a pain of fees for tickets, warrants, license reinstatements etc. That is stressful in itself so please try and take care.
If you have a therapist, please use him to talk things out with so your concerns can be spoken and not trapped inside your head. Letting these things build up will cause a lot of agnst.

lapushka
May 6th, 2014, 01:00 PM
You posted back in February about worrying about jail time over something different, also related to driving IIRC. I really, really hope that you are in contact with your mental health providers because something is not working for you if you are running into this problem repeatedly. In the mean time, working yourself into a frenzy over your hair isn't going to make your case go more smoothly. You need to appear calm and competent if you want the judge to work with you.

Yes, I'm worried about that too, especially since she announced that she's drinking alcohol, and went off her meds! (These were all threads and messages posted on this forum.)

threadOfGold
May 6th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I agree that it's not fair for that man to be emotionally abusive, and I think if you feel you want to, you should put in a complaint. I don't want to give a definite answer just in case, but I am almost certain they won't cut your hair. But my advice is, when you go (if you do end up having to go, I hope you don't have to) wear your hair up in a bun and make it as small as possible, be as discreet as you can and don't let them be aware that you have long hair, that way nobody will be able to tease you about cutting it like that other man did, and you won't feel vulnerable about it. All the best

Allie_snowflake
May 6th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I got a ticket for driving on a suspended license in Florida (it's considered a criminal offense) and I just went to traffic court and paid a fine. The suspension was based on a ticket (I was stupid not to pay) for failure to register my car that had expired plates from another state. Plus I've toured our county jail and the women inmates I saw wore braids. Prison might be a little stricter but even a month in county jail is not going to be that bad.

Good luck to you :)

swearnsue
May 6th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I was caught driving with an expired license and I pled guilty and the judge didn't even make me pay the $50 fine.

I was calm and polite and it just worked out.

LaurelSpring
May 6th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I don't know about different states, but around here they don't cut your hair in the local jail, but if you go to federal prison they do have requirements.

Lindseyh
May 6th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I really doubt that you'd go to jail for this, but the more polite and straight forward you are with court officials the better. They appreciate a good attitude, be the nice point of their day. Hope things straighten out for you!

Lyv
May 6th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I don't think you'll have to worry about it. They for the most part don't do that in a jail because it's temporary, if you were going to prison that could be different because they have certain guidelines for appearance (sort of like the military) and unless you're a habitual I doubt you'd go to jail at all.

MungoMania
May 7th, 2014, 01:26 AM
I'm not familiar with US (or Illinois) law but can they even put mentally ill people in "regular" jails..? All I know that American celebrities don't seem to lose their hair if they end up in jail... :shrug: I can't imagine they would chop your hair off for 10 days.Try not to worry! :blossom:

I'm not familiar with Illinois law either, but I don't think people with the mental health issues you have described could be incarcerated like common felons. They might request you be sent to a mental health facility not a jail. Don't worry so much. Wait and talk to your lawyer about all of this. They'll have experience to help you.

Leslieslsa
May 7th, 2014, 01:40 AM
I asked about it in a forum about prison and they said that they don't do that in county jail. I don't understand why that cop told me that but it was a jerk move. I don't even think they make women in prison.

chen bao jun
May 7th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Yes, they can, it depends on what you did.
It's not always the worst thing in the world. My son has mental illness (I don't like to say he IS mentally ill, because I don't believe an illness should define you) and he went to jail four years ago. It was the best thing for him (though like any 'nice' middle class mother, I was devastated at the time)--he doesn't fool around with his meds anymore and has really pulled his life together. Wish he would stop drinking completely as anytime he does, he has issues, but maybe that will come. Anyway, its a huge improvement.
He needed the discipline and routine like anything and he wouldn't listen to either us or his counsellors, soo...
Mental illness is a bad break, but a lot of people with mental illness function very well, though they can have a longer learning curve with learning how to manage and also have setbacks. but the worst thing you can do is feel like it gives you an excuse to be a helpless victim and be irresponsible.
Like I wrote the last time you posted a similar thread, whether they give you a haircut or not is the least of your issues right now. You really need to focus on getting your life together, short hair or long hair.

Symphony
May 7th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I did a quick google image search for female inmates, and all of them had long hair. Calm down about the hair, and focus on your legal issues.

Kina
May 7th, 2014, 07:24 AM

^ go to your treatment providers and make sure you tell the stress that you are under. If you don't get your illness under control, you won't be able to function at all.

ladonna
May 7th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I feel so bad for you! Lots of hugs!
It's a violation of your rights to be forced to do anything to your hair. And for the charges if it's misdominer (sp?) you will most likely be giving a choice of community service or just spend a weekend in jail, plus paying a small fine.

mz_butterfly
May 8th, 2014, 11:55 PM
What would make you think that correction officers or any jailer would cut your hair off? Jail isn't a prison camp and I have never heard of any prisoner (especially female) being forced to cut their hair off. I would be worried more about being in jail, that would be the thing that frightened me. You had a suspended license and knew it but chose to drive anyway. You got caught and have to face the consequences, no matter what they are. They do give people jail time on a first offense but I have heard its either 24 or 48 hours the first time, then something like 30 days the second time and maybe 90 days to a year the third offence. Until you have your license reinstated, take the bus or get someone to give you a ride. If you keep getting tickets on top of tickets, you will eventually get jail time because you are conveying to the court system that you have no regard for their rules and authority.

sumidha
May 9th, 2014, 12:25 AM
I have never ever heard of anyone having their hair forcefully shaved in jail, aside from in that Crybaby movie with Johnny Depp. My BF's mom works with female prison inmates and she has mentioned to me that many of then have classic or knee length hair (up in a bun, I don't think you're allowed to wear it down).

Leslieslsa
May 9th, 2014, 08:04 PM
I am definitely well aware that this is my fault and that now I have to pay. I get that. Thanks everyone for informing me. I believe you are right. I read online that they do not make you cut it in Illinois unless it poses a safety risk. Thanks everyone for your answers :-)