PDA

View Full Version : Fork Help!

Ruzovy
May 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Hello, I just got my first wooden fork in the mail today, and I can't seem to get it through any buns smoothly, like I do with sticks or flexis or anything else I've worn before. It just pulls and seems to catch on hairs and I don't like how it feels or sounds (not very hair friendly sounds at that)

The fork I got is this one from cultmate: http://www.cultmate.de/haarforken/holz/haarforke-holz-palisander-quattuor.html
Is it because the teeth are very close or am I doing something wrong like not detangling enough before bunning or bunning too tight?

eadwine
May 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Can you show us a picture of the fork in your hand?

kaydana
May 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
It's because the teeth are very close.

I find rocking it from side to side as you push it in helps a lot.

Ruzovy
May 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Not on my hand but I have a picture of it next to a L ficcare and some spinpins here:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/KKMe/Hair/forknstuff_zps00b1b530.jpg

I quite like this fork but if it damages my hair I'm not sure I want to use it... I'll try to rock it side to side like kaydana said but for now my hair is up and "resting" from all the handling it's had today (that's what happens when I get 2 packages with hairtoys on the same day, gotta try them all lol)

Nini
May 5th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I find curved forks works better for me, also two- or three prongs are more convenient. For me that is.

You might have to play around with the tension in your buns a bit. Some require more, some require less I find.

meteor
May 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM
The teeth are pretty close, close enough to work as a wide-tooth comb/pick as well. It might take time getting used to that fork.
And what are those 3 black horizontal lines at the bottom inch of three tines? If they are scratchy, your hair might be getting caught in them.

two_wheels
May 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I have to make my bun much, much looser to get a big fork in. So loose, I can't believe it will stay. Then it holds like a dream. You could try that?

ETA I also like to rock it like kaydana​, it really helps

eadwine
May 5th, 2014, 11:27 AM
That is some very close together tines. How exactly are you putting it in? I would try grabbing the VERY outside of the bun just above the head and then push it along the scalp and in the end a VERY tad up again. Basically get as little as possible on the number of hairs in there. Could be the fork is just choking :) It is pretty though, I do wonder what those lines are as well.

I have to sometimes put my forks in like you when you park a car where you just -cannot- get it in proper. Hahaha. Forward backward forward backward. Paving the way so to speak, back to get the hair out and then forward again a bit further than before. I have another comparison but that is not appropriate :lol:

Ruzovy
May 5th, 2014, 11:42 AM
The teeth are pretty close, close enough to work as a wide-tooth comb/pick as well. It might take time getting used to that fork.
And what are those 3 black horizontal lines at the bottom inch of three tines? If they are scratchy, your hair might be getting caught in them.

Yeah I thought of the comb thing too lol. No worries about the line, I ran my finger over it, it's smooth :)

I have to make my bun much, much looser to get a big fork in. So loose, I can't believe it will stay. Then it holds like a dream. You could try that?

ETA I also like to rock it like kaydana​, it really helps

Yeah I'm gonna try bunning super loose, hopefully it will help. And so will "rocking it like kaydana :laugh:

Ruzovy
May 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM
That is some very close together tines. How exactly are you putting it in? I would try grabbing the VERY outside of the bun just above the head and then push it along the scalp and in the end a VERY tad up again. Basically get as little as possible on the number of hairs in there. Could be the fork is just choking :) It is pretty though, I do wonder what those lines are as well.

I have to sometimes put my forks in like you when you park a car where you just -cannot- get it in proper. Hahaha. Forward backward forward backward. Paving the way so to speak, back to get the hair out and then forward again a bit further than before. I have another comparison but that is not appropriate :lol:

hahaha I think I see what you mean... :rolling: