PDA

View Full Version : Disc buns are wonderful!

Freija
May 4th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Oh - I'm so excited I just had to share this with someone! My boyfriend just gave me a weird look when I raced into the kitchen cheering, but I know you'll understand. : )

I'll put up a picture in a second (need to find my camera) - but I have finally found a bun that holds - with one hairstick - even with my annoying and dramatic new layers. I was getting pretty desperate after having my hair layered from collarbone-length to mid-back against my will a week ago, because I love to put my hair right up out of the way but none of my old go-to methods were working. Cinnabuns have been especially awkward; I can just about get them to stay with spin pins, but Amish pins always seem to snag my hair, and the ends just unravel now when I use sticks or my GTS wishbone.

I am a very happy me again. : )

BonnieU
May 4th, 2014, 07:44 AM
I agree! My bun world opened up when I discovered the disc bun. I had been doing cinnamon buns that just would not hold and I wanted desperately to use beatiful sticks. The disc bun was definitely the answer! I had the very same gleeful feeling :D

Freija
May 4th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Here - found my phone!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p2_vqLhuHJsIBfBvVR1EuE1r_0KQ3dMaNwXdrfzhlPk=w345-h259-p-no

Excuse the pencil, I didn't have a hairstick to hand. It is a little loose - but it's secure, and very, very comfortable. : )

Johannah
May 4th, 2014, 07:59 AM
When I did my first discbun, I gave the same reaction as you did, haha! It's such a great bun, together with the Pha bun ofcourse ;)

julee
May 4th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Looks great! :)

I love disc buns, they are a lifesaver when I have to put my hair up quite damp. I never could quite master them, until I found a wonderful YouTube tutorial made by Kaelee (thankyou! :blossom:). Now they're one of my go to styles- so comfortable! :)

BonnieU
May 4th, 2014, 08:06 AM
The pha bun is just out of my reach with my thickness.That's the main thing that keeps me from doing a lot of bun varieties....that is until I get more length :)

Skade
May 4th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Agreed, disc buns are great. They are not my go to style, because for me it takes to much fiddling to make it stay good. But I do love the look of them. So if you have any tips on how to make them hold, I´m happy to hear them..

Freija
May 4th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Ooh, I've never even heard of the Pha bun. I'll have to look it up now!

Just wondering - has anyone got any tips for a pencil bun/modified nautilus? I tried this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8 (which seems the same as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) and got the basic idea, but when I try to slide the stick in my hair pulls SO tight I'm afraid of pulling it out at the roots, and I have to stop. Maybe my hair is just too thick at this length, so the stick gets torqued outwards too much?

ETA: Oh, Skade - I don't really have any tips (I've still got to repeat the feat of having made a solid disc bun yet!), but this is the video I used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ

I didn't worry about the ends (I tucked them in properly once the bun was secured), and kept the two outer loops quite loose. I ended up with a fairly solid little bun in the centre which I was able to push the stick straight through, and that's the bit that's holding the entire thing up, I think. I have a feeling this style is probably not going to work as well with a thicker hair stick; I think the slimness of the pencil helps it go deeper into the central bun, and anchors it.

I am wondering about securing it with something two-pronged, actually - like my GTS wishbone antler fork...

Kaelee
May 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I love disc bun! I alternate between that and nautilus now, but for the longest time disc bun was the only one that would work for me.

Jumper
May 4th, 2014, 11:47 PM
After seeing this I looked up a tutorial and after some fiddling around figured it out.

My hair is waist and thick so I can barely wrap it around once each way besides the initial loop and the loops are small putting a lot of force on whatever I'm using as a hair stick... You might guess where this is going... After practicing with my crochet hook I tried it with a wooden Mei Fa hair stick and it snapped right in half as I tried to get it through the right hand loop... So I got out a thicker (and far cheaper) hair stick and got the same result.

Until it becomes appropriate to wear a crochet hook in my hair to work I guess I'll have to forget the disc bun. Or until my hair gets quite a bit longer to compensate for the thickness.

Wosie
May 5th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Freija} If I wouldn't have known better, I'd think that I was the subject in your picture! I even jumped a little when I saw it. :D

---

Do you guys think it's possible to make a safe and secure disc bun when your hair is APL with layers that are collarbone length? :hmm:

LauraLongLocks
May 5th, 2014, 08:42 AM
The disc bun is possible at much shorter length and/or with thicker hair. It's a winner!

Kaelee
May 5th, 2014, 09:39 AM
After seeing this I looked up a tutorial and after some fiddling around figured it out.

My hair is waist and thick so I can barely wrap it around once each way besides the initial loop and the loops are small putting a lot of force on whatever I'm using as a hair stick... You might guess where this is going... After practicing with my crochet hook I tried it with a wooden Mei Fa hair stick and it snapped right in half as I tried to get it through the right hand loop... So I got out a thicker (and far cheaper) hair stick and got the same result.

Until it becomes appropriate to wear a crochet hook in my hair to work I guess I'll have to forget the disc bun. Or until my hair gets quite a bit longer to compensate for the thickness.

That happened to me when I tried a nautilus bun a while back! It took me getting to waist before I could do that one.

Sterlyn
May 5th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Thank you for posting this, I looked up a tutorial and tried it. It's a comfortable and holds like a rock. Snapped a pic, doesn't look much like the tutorial bun but don't care it holds well and I seem to be able to do it consistently:o. Please excuse the crazy halo I've got going on, I showered in this bun right before I took this pic and the humidity I think made my halo extra crazy.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10753&d=1399306282

ETA: for most buns I've tried I don't have enough hair yet, but for this I do :D

Wosie
May 5th, 2014, 10:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ

I tried to follow this video, but my hair unravels completely as soon as my left hand leaves the bun... Am I not doing it tightly enough, you reckon? :S Should I do it differently than her, seeing as my hair is much shorter?

Sterlyn
May 5th, 2014, 10:46 AM
@wosie, I did the same as she did, but got a lot fewer wraps and my loops were not nearly as large. I do pull and wrap it fairly snug and tuck the ends in a bit. It holds much better than my usual "cinnawrap" thingy I usually do. Not sure maybe your hair is just very slithery right now:), I have problems with that too sometimes. Not sure hopefully those with way more bun experience than I have will chime in with help.

Kaelee
May 5th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Check out the link in my signature to my tutorial...my hair isn't nearly as long and it was even shorter when I made the tutorial!

Sterlyn, your bun looks great and I LOVE that fork!

Wosie
May 5th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Sterlyn} I can't do a cinnabun at all (impossible for me), so I guess I'm doing it wrongfully as it's supposed to be somewhat easy. :/

I was able to do one disc bun now, by the way (! ...after a number of failed attempts), but I'm afraid it'll fall down any second. At least it stayed long enough to take a picture of it. Also, it doesn't look very pretty, but I'm just happy I did it. :D
Are you supposed to grab some hair from the scalp when you secure the disc bun? :hmm:

Laurenji
May 5th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I love love love the disc bun! It's my new favorite bun.

Sterlyn
May 5th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Sterlyn} I can't do a cinnabun at all (impossible for me), so I guess I'm doing it wrongfully as it's supposed to be somewhat easy. :/

I was able to do one disc bun now, by the way (! ...after a number of failed attempts), but I'm afraid it'll fall down any second. At least it stayed long enough to take a picture of it. Also, it doesn't look very pretty, but I'm just happy I did it. :D
Are you supposed to grab some hair from the scalp when you secure the disc bun? :hmm:

I didn't grab nearly as much with this bun as I usually do with a cinnabun. Wosie maybe your hair is thicker than mine, because thickness can be a big factor in when you can do certain styles. My bun circumference is 2.5" and my hair is fine, so it compresses really easily.

ETA; thanks Kaelee:), it's a crocket mountain in sea orchid, it's one of my favorites.

Wosie
May 5th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Kaelee} Oh, thanks for the help! I do think it'll help to twirl the two sections. I also think I'll try to slow down when attempting this bun, I may be going too quickly... :o

Sterlyn} Ah, my hair doesn't compress easily at all... It's rather coarse and I have a circumference of ~3.25, so those characteristics might have something to do with my struggles (?). I will just practice doing this bun every now and then, and hopefully one day I will make a stable and good-looking one. :pray: