PDA

View Full Version : CG: My hair attacked me and is now trying to eat my head!

Rosa Harris
May 3rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Ok,

Yesterday I finally went completely sulfate and cone free.

I added using a gel to scrunch it with.

Yesterday it was totally gorgeous.

I put it up for the night in a satin sleep cap and scrunch bun.

I took it down this morning and FLOOF! It's one big fuzz ball fluff of tangels.

At the back of my neck I found a tightly dreaded lock of hair - as it perfect dreadlock and managed to get it out after some gentle coaxing.

The rest was really a mess of tangels too. I had to wash and re-condition it.

I did not add gel this time.

What went wrong?

molljo
May 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM
I think it's just the nature of gel and wavy hair. Mine does this. I have a spray bottle with distilled water and a smidge of conditioner in it that I use in the morning to help detangle and refresh waves. I get my hair about 1/2 way damp, detangle gently, and scrunch. The waves come right back.

Freija
May 3rd, 2014, 07:30 PM
Hmm. It sounds like maybe you used a bit too much gel yesterday (or a gel with ingredients that don't work for you), so it matted a bit when you slept on it - or maybe you didn't completely secure your hair while you slept. It might help to get a satin pillowcase to reduce friction, and/or start putting it up in a high ponytail held with a soft scrunchie for bed (curly girls know this as 'pineappling') or in a bun.

You'll get there, I promise!

meteor
May 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
Well, if going cone-free creates such massive frizz, tangles and even dreadlocks, this routine isn't as good as what you did previously.
Maybe you need heavier conditioners to weigh your hair down a bit? Oils, waxes, cones and other occlusives can help. Sure, they build up, but that's OK if you clarify once in a while.