PDA

View Full Version : Oil masks: good or bad?

Budgie
May 3rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
So I've read that oil masks are good because they replace your hair's lost natural oils, but I've also read that they're bad because they don't moisturize and they lock out moisture. Does anyone have advice for me about this?

MINAKO
May 3rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Uhm, heavy prewash oiling does happen for me in the same way that LOC would, so theres Moisture locked in anyways, no need for the hair to attract more than it can hold ( i think), humidity however does make it frizzy, which causes tangles so i would rather have my hair smooth and protected by a nice rich oil. WOrk perfectly fine for me and never caused any problems, in fact i know for sure that my hair would be a crunchy mess if i wouldn't use any, does count for cones as well.

veryhairyfairy
May 3rd, 2014, 07:04 PM
The main benefit I get from oil masks/soaks is hair strand flexibility. I feel like my hair is easier to detangle and less prone to snapping and breakage after an oil soak. I also notice less frizz and more shine.

Northerner
May 4th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I have dry scalp, so the main benefit of oil masks is that I got rid of the dryness, itchiness and flakiness. My hair also looks well-conditioned. I only oil the scalp, some oil gets on my hair. But, oils tend to pull out weaker hair, so I lose quite a few when I oil.

meteor
May 4th, 2014, 01:29 PM
So I've read that oil masks are good because they replace your hair's lost natural oils, but I've also read that they're bad because they don't moisturize and they lock out moisture. Does anyone have advice for me about this?

Oils are occlusive/anti-humectant so they slow down the evaporation of water from your hair but can also prevent water from penetrating hair too fast.
I think they make excellent pre-poo treatments as they prevent hygral fatigue (the swelling and shrinking of the cuticle from exposure to water) and they protect hair cuticles from too much exposure to SLS and other harsh cleansers.
As for advice: I'd say go by the way your hair feels. Some people use a couple drops of oil, others use tablespoons at a time, while others don't like any oils at all.

YvetteVarie
May 5th, 2014, 04:04 AM
oil masks make it easier for me to detangle my hair. The oil makes it easy to work out any knots and tangles without ripping out my hair. And they help keep my hair flexible and soft.

Rosa Harris
May 5th, 2014, 04:25 AM
There are oils that are sealants and seal in/out moisture by coating the hair shaft that are best used while the hair is damp to seal in the moisture and oils like coconut and olive oil that will penetrate the hair shaft and 'moisturize' the hair. I'm mind blanking on the different ones right now but I know coconut can be used for both - its my go-to oil.
edit: some will debate that oils do not moisturize which is why I put it in quotes. It some do penetrate into the shaft and stay there and make the hair softer and prevent too much water from enering so I don't know of a trem for that penetration.

clioariane
May 5th, 2014, 05:46 AM
GOOD! I love oil treatments, coconut oil overnight before washing is an essential part of my routine :)

walterSCAN
May 6th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Oils are occlusive/anti-humectant so they slow down the evaporation of water from your hair but can also prevent water from penetrating hair too fast.
I think they make excellent pre-poo treatments as they prevent hygral fatigue (the swelling and shrinking of the cuticle from exposure to water) and they protect hair cuticles from too much exposure to SLS and other harsh cleansers.
As for advice: I'd say go by the way your hair feels. Some people use a couple drops of oil, others use tablespoons at a time, while others don't like any oils at all.

There are oils that are sealants and seal in/out moisture by coating the hair shaft that are best used while the hair is damp to seal in the moisture and oils like coconut and olive oil that will penetrate the hair shaft and 'moisturize' the hair. I'm mind blanking on the different ones right now but I know coconut can be used for both - its my go-to oil.
edit: some will debate that oils do not moisturize which is why I put it in quotes. It some do penetrate into the shaft and stay there and make the hair softer and prevent too much water from enering so I don't know of a trem for that penetration.

These are very good answers and I don't have much to add to them-- just want to emphasize that, as with everything else on LHC, oils are very much a YMMV thing. Very little that we do/ don't do for our hair is universally good or bad.