PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding rinsing/washing hair with cold water...

FallingDarkness
May 3rd, 2014, 11:01 AM
So. I use a sulfate free shampoo, and I wash my hair every 3 to 4 days, then follow up with my conditioner/honey mixture and rinse that out with ice cold water. I'll use warm water to first get my hair wet, then to rinse out the shampoo, but I am wondering if I should be using cold water throughout the washing process? I've heard mixed things about this. Some say that you should ONLY USE COLD WATER when rinsing out conditioner, and others say to use cold water throughout. It's not like I have a problem with the cold water, in fact, I find it really relaxing and it's my favorite part of the hair washing process when I get to use the ice cold water rinse at the end. Somebody PLEASE clarify this for me. :) Thanks

höpönasu
May 3rd, 2014, 11:07 AM
I have heard that cold water helps with frizzyness by closing hair follicle (or whatever, I forgot scientific terms :laugh:). I don't know how cold and warm water washes off conditioner. I'm such cold sensitive I rarely end my showers with cold water rinses. I think it's barely warm since I love HOT showers. I can't imagine myself having a cold shower even I find it refreshing, but cold. :shudder: :laugh:
I actually didn't help at all.

eadwine
May 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
I used to do this.. The final rinse, doesn't have to be long, but with cold water to close the follicles.

Going to start doing this again myself.. BRRRR hahahah

FallingDarkness
May 3rd, 2014, 11:14 AM
So I should only use cold water for the final rinse?

spidermom
May 3rd, 2014, 11:17 AM
I believe that modern shampoos and conditioners work best with warm water. Then you can use cold water as a final rinse (which I can only bear to do in the summer).

eadwine
May 3rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
yes final rinse.. so not the wash out, just a final EEK BRRRRRRRR done. lol

Night_Kitten
May 3rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
From what I read around LHC, the warm water opens the cuticle while the cold water closes the cuticle, so I'd say use the warm water at first (before conditioner) to raise the cuticle a bit and allow easier access for the conditioner, then at the end use cooler / cold water to "seal" the effect of the conditioner...
I can't manage using cold water all through the wash, I only do it with the final ACV rinse, so never actually put it to the test or compared between the all cold / warm and then cold...

Nadine <3
May 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
I hate putting cold water on my head, I would rather be bald. :p I never do it. Unless, sometimes when it's REALLY hot I will take cool showers just because I'm highly heat sensitive and I over heat a lot in the summer, so sometimes in those cases cool showers where nice. At night especially, before bed. Then I braided my hair wet, it stayed wet for a bit and kept my head cooler.

I never noticed a difference in my hair though. It always looks the same, regardless of water temp.

FallingDarkness
May 3rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
OOH Okay great! That means I've been doing it right all along. :D Thanks oodles