PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have terrible tangles?

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 08:29 AM
Does anyone else get terrible tangles on the under side of their hair? I do I've used cone sprays and all. I've combed my hair prior to washing this is when I notice it. I have to use a wide tooth comb and detangle with conditioner on my hair. I clarified my hair still had some tangles. I'm wondering if I need to start combing the underside of my hair. Has anyone else ever had to comb the underside of their hair.

neko_kawaii
May 3rd, 2014, 08:34 AM
My hair is average thickness and I have to comb the underside. I imagine with your thicker hair it would be more necessary.

woodswanderer
May 3rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
If I use a tangle teezer I have to comb the top and the underside. I don't think the bristles are long enough to reach through.

Wildcat Diva
May 3rd, 2014, 08:40 AM
I use a tangle teezer in sections for this sometimes. Yes, it gets tangly. Frustrating. I finger comb a lot too.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 08:40 AM
My hair is average thickness and I have to comb the underside. I imagine with your thicker hair it would be more necessary.

It's got me puzzled that with the new tangles brings out the question could my length bring on the tangles. I never had this issue until now.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
No tangles - at all. Using the WCC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314) and LOC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) for styling. It does work, you guys! No kidding!

Seeshami
May 3rd, 2014, 08:45 AM
I have always had to comb the underside.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
If I use a tangle teezer I have to comb the top and the underside. I don't think the bristles are long enough to reach through.

The bristles seem long enough on the Michel Mercier brush. I might have to just start brushing the under side.

I use a tangle teezer in sections for this sometimes. Yes, it gets tangly. Frustrating. I finger comb a lot too.

I use the Michel Mercier brush I finger comb a lot during the day time to work out tangles.

I have always had to comb the underside.

I haven't had to until now and the same with s&d it's like my hair has changed.

ETA: Maybe I should add I use cone and non cone items. I tried water diluted oil misted on my ends then cone free conditioner over that still had tangles and dry hair. I used my normal oils in my pump bottle my hair soaked it up by the end of the day. I weekly deep condition, except today I clarified. I thought it might be build up.

Seeshami
May 3rd, 2014, 08:55 AM
It is possible it has changed. All of my life I have detangled from the underside and then just brushed out the top I can't do it backwards or I will snap hair.

I only get really bad tangles when I don't brush it for a few days or I let it dry completely with out any kind of tangle intervention.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 09:04 AM
It is possible it has changed. All of my life I have detangled from the underside and then just brushed out the top I can't do it backwards or I will snap hair.

I only get really bad tangles when I don't brush it for a few days or I let it dry completely with out any kind of tangle intervention.

I'm wondering if it's changed and just needs extra tangle care. I thought it was dryness causing it.

Beborani
May 3rd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Best way to get to the underside is to divide hair vertically and bring each half over the shoulder and comb. This way underside becomes the 'over'side.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Best way to get to the underside is to divide hair vertically and bring each half over the shoulder and comb. This way underside becomes the 'over'side.

I comb like this already. My tangles are at the root line at the nape of the neck.

Jumper
May 3rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
I get tangles there if I leave my hair half up or in a low ponytail. For some reason all the way down or all the way up means no tangles for me.

Kina
May 3rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
All. The. Time.

Cassia is helping my hair not tangle as much.

henné
May 3rd, 2014, 11:53 AM
I did. Horrible ones (think dreadlocks). All the time. I had to give in and cut off about 10cm of my hair and now we're both about million percent happier. I tried everything, btw.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
I get tangles there if I leave my hair half up or in a low ponytail. For some reason all the way down or all the way up means no tangles for me.

That's interesting. I might try this.

All. The. Time.

Cassia is helping my hair not tangle as much.

Okay I might have to try this.

I did. Horrible ones (think dreadlocks). All the time. I had to give in and cut off about 10cm of my hair and now we're both about million percent happier. I tried everything, btw.

I hope I don't have to cut my hair. I'm in the no trims challenge.

Ocelan
May 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
Have you been wearing a jacket with a collar or worn your hair differently lately? I know when I wore my hair down or even in a braid so that the nape hairs touched a up-turned collar I got horrible tagnles in the nape and also breakage. Nowadays I've tried to intervene with a soft scarf between with my hair and the collar if I do have to wear a collared jacket. It helps some so my nape breakage hairs have been able to grow longer and there haven't been so many splits in them.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
Have you been wearing a jacket with a collar or worn your hair differently lately? I know when I wore my hair down or even in a braid so that the nape hairs touched a up-turned collar I got horrible tagnles in the nape and also breakage. Nowadays I've tried to intervene with a soft scarf between with my hair and the collar if I do have to wear a collared jacket. It helps some so my nape breakage hairs have been able to grow longer and there haven't been so many splits in them.

I have worn a denim jacket my hair was in a pony tail but I've worn it that way before. I did find more white dots and splits. I s&d them I'm hoping the white dots and dryness plus my jacket were the cause of my tangles. I might need to wear a silky type scarf with my jacket. Maybe full up dos.

MINAKO
May 3rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
FOr some reason it doesn't tangle as badly as it once did, it becme kind of easy to get the comb trough also in previously difficult areas, i do LOC as well henna/indigo/cassia. I would suggest light oils as a leave in and bobbypins, when you wear that same hairstyle to keep flyaways in place that might rub on the clothes and creathe the tangles.

Aderyn
May 3rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
I don't tangle so badly anymore.. I comb out the underside first, and then go in on the top, always starting from the ends and being gentle. Just requires a bit of patience. I don't use conditioner or such to detangle dry/damp hair, as it really weighs my hair down and dries it out.

I don't really comb/brush my hair in between washes anymore, I just throw it up in a bun and/or braid and putting it up largely prevents tangles from forming. To detangle in the shower, I just use a lot of cone-free conditioner and/or a coney conditioner and the tangles pretty much just fall out of my hair with a little help from my fingers. Don't even need to use a comb, as I find that a bit more damaging when my hair is soaking wet. Just generally being nicer to my hair overall has led to less tangles, even when wearing it down.

tanchoulita
May 3rd, 2014, 04:43 PM
Me! Tangle Queen. I get tangles all the time. it is mostly on the underside than the rest of the hair ends I and I did comb and brush all over and I still get tangles. So after shower and my leave-in, I grab my bottle of Shea Moisture Baby Healing lotion and apply a bit to the undersides and the ends of my hair. It prevented the ends and undersides from getting wonky and tangled up.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 05:54 PM
FOr some reason it doesn't tangle as badly as it once did, it becme kind of easy to get the comb trough also in previously difficult areas, i do LOC as well henna/indigo/cassia. I would suggest light oils as a leave in and bobbypins, when you wear that same hairstyle to keep flyaways in place that might rub on the clothes and creathe the tangles.

I've tried the loc method my hair still tangled. I'm wondering if I need a stronger oil mix. The short hairs on the nape of the neck are longer and rub my collar more. I might pin them up with bony pins. This could help.

I don't tangle so badly anymore.. I comb out the underside first, and then go in on the top, always starting from the ends and being gentle. Just requires a bit of patience. I don't use conditioner or such to detangle dry/damp hair, as it really weighs my hair down and dries it out.

I don't really comb/brush my hair in between washes anymore, I just throw it up in a bun and/or braid and putting it up largely prevents tangles from forming. To detangle in the shower, I just use a lot of cone-free conditioner and/or a coney conditioner and the tangles pretty much just fall out of my hair with a little help from my fingers. Don't even need to use a comb, as I find that a bit more damaging when my hair is soaking wet. Just generally being nicer to my hair overall has led to less tangles, even when wearing it down.

I use a cone shine spray maybe if I put that on the under side where the tangles are that will help them go away.

Me! Tangle Queen. I get tangles all the time. it is mostly on the underside than the rest of the hair ends I and I did comb and brush all over and I still get tangles. So after shower and my leave-in, I grab my bottle of Shea Moisture Baby Healing lotion and apply a bit to the undersides and the ends of my hair. It prevented the ends and undersides from getting wonky and tangled up.

I never thought to try this I wonder if my shea butter mineral oil would work. I will have to try the baby lotion most definitely. This sounds neat.

Rosa Harris
May 3rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
OMG!

Not to but in but I changed products yesterday.

Finally went with a truely cone free conditioner and sulfate free poo.

Added using a gel.

Took my hair down out of my cap this morning and it had went bananas on me. It was one huge fluff-ball-of-tangels.

Looked like I'd stuck my finger in a light socket.

Today I notice - shock and horror - a perfectly formed dreadlock on the back of my neck. That was the worst of it. But the rest was freakin terrible. The whole time I was using Pantee Naturals Co-wash (has cones) I had no tangle trouble and my fingers just glided trough my hair when I detangled with it in there.

Wow - this is nutts. What now? I love the way it looks tho.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 08:56 PM
OMG!

Not to but in but I changed products yesterday.

Finally went with a truely cone free conditioner and sulfate free poo.

Added using a gel.

Took my hair down out of my cap this morning and it had went bananas on me. It was one huge fluff-ball-of-tangels.

Looked like I'd stuck my finger in a light socket.

Today I notice - shock and horror - a perfectly formed dreadlock on the back of my neck. That was the worst of it. But the rest was freakin terrible. The whole time I was using Pantee Naturals Co-wash (has cones) I had no tangle trouble and my fingers just glided trough my hair when I detangled with it in there.

Wow - this is nutts. What now? I love the way it looks tho.

I'm wondering if I need to use a small amount of cones daily in the form of spray. I use the Pantene naturals argan oil shine spray. I also tried the tresemee shine spray I used it on my under layer. I noticed this summer when I used it daily no tangles. Maybe I need to use it daily. You might be like me you need some cones.