PDA

View Full Version : Downfalls to having long hair?

Leslieslsa
May 1st, 2014, 02:51 PM
Now I will never cut off my long hair. But there are some negative things about, lol. My hair is thick and currently slightly past TBL. The end of my braid always manages to get into things!! Especially food. And I don't even notice right away. And the other day I was arrested for petty sh*t and when the officer was frisking me with her rubber gloves on she got her hand stuck in my hair!! I am sure I could think of more. Just wondering what has happened to everyone else?

jacqueline101
May 1st, 2014, 06:10 PM
I've had my hair burnt in the past. I find windy days with long hair a hazard.

Allie_snowflake
May 1st, 2014, 06:25 PM
Mine always gets sucked up into the seatbelt retractor or slammed in the car door. I've gotten snagged on those metal balls on the end of clothing store racks too. Putting my bra on with my hair down is a hassle too. But I'm not cutting it!

arr
May 1st, 2014, 06:50 PM
Tangles, it takes longer to dry, and long shed hairs everywhere.

Allie_snowflake
May 1st, 2014, 06:55 PM
I burned up my mom's Kirby vacuum motor when I was a teen.... Forgot about that one. She had only had it a month.

I keep remembering things.... The biggest PITA is sweeping up the hairballs on my carpet before vacuuming. They ball up nicely but it's a pain. My daughter hates when she gets a hair caught between her toes!

Bombadillo
May 1st, 2014, 07:38 PM
Fly-a-ways. I had buzzed hair for years and when it was long enough to be put up but there were still pieces that poked and tickled…I don't remember reading about that in the "getting- past- the- awkward- stages" articles!

Aderyn
May 1st, 2014, 07:59 PM
I second the tangles and the shed hair, for sure.

Lots of conditioner used up
Air drying time
Gets in the way when down

I imagine if you stick to more popular methods of hair care, the time to style/care for hair would take much longer. Not to mention all the (unnecessary) products people would have to buy.

While there are certainly cons to having long hair, I think the cons of having short hair (shoulder/APL or shorter), at least for me personally, are far worse than the cons of long hair.

FallingDarkness
May 1st, 2014, 08:05 PM
My hair isn't even "long" yet, I'm not even full BSL yet ( D: ) but it does get caught in my clothing/bra strap when I put them on, and my backpack, and I'm just sooo glad I'm taking the Wear Your Hair up Challenge (14 out of 150 days done, almost 10% there :P) because that's not a problem. Even though I am stretching my washes, it eats up all my conditioner, and I have to go buy more far more often than I did a few months ago. Plus, my hair takes a lifetime to dry. And because of that, I am annoyed with it. Not to mention REALLY COLD, seeing how I rinse my hair with ice cold water... :(
But it looks so pretty and it's fun to braid :) So yay. All of those inconveniences are DEFINITELY worth it.

Leslieslsa
May 1st, 2014, 09:11 PM
Mine also gets stuck in my bra after I shower and it is down! Ouch. I always try to pull the bra clasp away from the hair and sometimes it still gets stuck. My hair takes about six hours to dry as well. And also jams up the wheel on the vacuum cleaner, lol

Rosa Harris
May 1st, 2014, 09:16 PM
I usually put my hair up at night but I like to sleep free some nights - well you know crawl in bed with it down for the sexy but then hubby ends up rolling over on it and making me scream - or other awkward accidental in bed hair pulling. Basically I gave that idea up. Too bad for him. It stays up now in the bed.

It gets in my food a plenty. I've burned it lighting a smoke. My nephew who is two cant seem to not yank on it when I am holding him. Wearing it down in the summer is like having a fur coat on (but great in winter) but when its wet in winter you cant go outside for a while because it takes forever to dry.

Still would not part with it.

Autumn_Fairy
May 1st, 2014, 09:36 PM
I find the cons of short hair far outweigh those of long. The only downside I experience of having long hair is drying time.

As for short hair, there is no quick and easy way to pull it up out of the way in a few seconds. Long hair might be in the way at any given time, but I can easily pull it (ALL of it) back in nearly a second's notice. Short hair requires extra pins everywhere to contain all the little pieces that don't fit in a pony or bun or simply in my hand if I want to hold it aside temporarily. Especially if Im caught out on a windy day unexpectantly, I can trap all my long hair and keep it out of my face. When I had shorter hair, it was plastered in my face and mouth no matter how much of it I thought I was holding back. Of course, this doesn't apply to super-short hair or pixi cuts, but I would never want that style anyway, so...

I had longer hair than I do now most of my childhood and through part of college. I even wore it down almost all of the time and I never had issue with my hair until I did my big chop. I suppose, in my case, its a matter of what I am used to. :shrug:

Crystawni
May 1st, 2014, 09:40 PM
Like FallingDarkness, my hair isn't "long" yet, but it does fly in my face and blind me a lot (in the wind, or bending over to check the mail box or get something from the fridge/cupboard, etc.). And having the car window down is a no-no if my hair isn't tied up--blind AND tangled. Not the go. I also have problems with hubby pinning me to the bed. My hair, too. :p Hubby also gets annoyed when my hair flies in his face accidentally. It also gets caught in my underarm on hot days (I live in the subtropics). And the cats and kids (now grandkids) think it's cool to swipe/pull/chew on. And long shed-hairs (fine in my case) tickle when removing them from underwear or other tightish clothing. And when those hairs snag and wrap around something, good luck undoing them!

DarkSunny
May 1st, 2014, 09:49 PM
I usually put my hair up at night but I like to sleep free some nights - well you know crawl in bed with it down for the sexy but then hubby ends up rolling over on it and making me scream - or other awkward accidental in bed hair pulling. Basically I gave that idea up. Too bad for him. It stays up now in the bed.

It gets in my food a plenty. I've burned it lighting a smoke. My nephew who is two cant seem to not yank on it when I am holding him. Wearing it down in the summer is like having a fur coat on (but great in winter) but when its wet in winter you cant go outside for a while because it takes forever to dry.

Still would not part with it.

Heh. Me and my boyfriend both have long hair so we're constantly lying on or sitting on each other's hair, or having it get caught on each other's glasses/coats/etc.

darklyndsea
May 1st, 2014, 09:57 PM
If you wear it down all the time and don't know how to put it up, maneuvering to keep it out of the way gets annoying after a while. And it does take some practice for your head to get used to having it up, if you have heavy hair.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 2nd, 2014, 01:57 AM
The only downfall for me is needing huge towels cause wet ends make me shiver when they touch my back :(

Skade
May 2nd, 2014, 02:04 AM
A big downfall for me is that it makes it harder to exercise. It seems that my hair can escape anything when I work out. And the tangles sometimes drive me mad.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 2nd, 2014, 02:05 AM
A big downfall for me is that it makes it harder to exercise. It seems that my hair can escape anything when I work out. And the tangles sometimes drive me mad.

I have no problems exercising with a lazy wrap bun held with a 4 pronged fork. Did you try those? (mine is Baerreis Nautilus)

The Kraken
May 2nd, 2014, 02:23 AM
oh wow I could write a long list on the pitfalls of having long hair hence why I called mine the Kraken ...its a beast !!
...but if I was to shortlist the top 5 most irritating it would go as follows:
1# Hair on the floor, it gathers into tumbleweeds and I am forever blocking my vacuum with it,
2# dying the grey roots every 4 weeks (I know that's not good for it but I will take the damage over looking like a witch thanks)
3# getting it tangled in my necklace
4# getting it caught under my handbag strap, I free it then it somehow gets back under it again
5# having to remember to always have a scrunchy incase I need to eat, or its windy, or I need to do anything other than stay still.

Skade
May 2nd, 2014, 02:44 AM
I have no problems exercising with a lazy wrap bun held with a 4 pronged fork. Did you try those? (mine is Baerreis Nautilus)

A lazy wrap usually fly out quickly when I exercise :) but I haven tried with a four prong so thanks for the tips, I will give it a try.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 2nd, 2014, 02:48 AM
A lazy wrap usually fly out quickly when I exercise :) but I haven tried with a four prong so thanks for the tips, I will give it a try.

Sticks don't hold my hair at all. Four pronged forks make the difference. You should totally try it :)

höpönasu
May 2nd, 2014, 03:05 AM
Tangles. Oh god tangles.
Having my hair down and then thinking how much breakage I'll get.
It takes long to dry.
Going to bed with hair down before bunning it and end up having my hubby on it all the time, or my hair end up in his mouth all the time.
I hate when it's wet. It feels creepy on my body. Especially wet shed hairs on my feet. I hate it! :shiver:
Being able to spot bad ends when your hair is down or braided and the agony when your hair scissors are not beside you.
People asking when you're going to cut it. "It's so long, TOO long."
Also I seem to get more obsessed with my hair the longer it get (i.e buying new products, oiling, just mainly thinking it too much).

I won't cut it though! :o

Ingrid
May 2nd, 2014, 04:39 AM
The only downside is wanting it longer, the longer it gets!!

Selkie-
May 2nd, 2014, 04:53 AM
Shed hairs, shed hairs and more shed hairs!!

Skade
May 2nd, 2014, 06:29 AM
Sticks don't hold my hair at all. Four pronged forks make the difference. You should totally try it :)

I have lots of three prongs but so far no four prong. I will go to Etsy and hunt one down. :)

Leslieslsa
May 2nd, 2014, 01:40 PM

Skade, how long is your hair? My suggestion would be a braided bun. That is what I have always worn to the gym. It holds better than anything I have found so far and it is easy,

woodswanderer
May 2nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
Wind
Tangles
Air dry time
Hairy floors

woodswanderer
May 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Eeek! Double post....sorry

Nadine <3
May 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
My kitten thinks it's a toy. She also enjoys nesting in it or just sitting on/chewing on the braid.

Shed hair in my butt crack is pretty wack lol

chen bao jun
May 2nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
I would suggest Jeterforks, for those who are interested in trying four prongs. They are just GREAT.
I haven't had any downsides from being long yet. A lot of things people are mentioning here, shedding, vacuum cleaner destruction, taking a long time to wash and eating tons of conditioner, taking long to dry--I've always had these issues just because I have thick hair, at whatever length. At shoulder length, my hair gets under my bagstraps and my husband manages to lie down on my hair when its loose when its APL. Maybe becasue being thick it spreads out? I don't know. But I keep reading the the threads like this one and the one of how you know you are a long hair and I 've always had a large percentage of the problems complained about, even though my hair has never been longer than BSL.
Having it longer makes it easier to put up, which makes it easier, so for me having longer hair is easier than short, no question.

Skade
May 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
Skade, how long is your hair? My suggestion would be a braided bun. That is what I have always worn to the gym. It holds better than anything I have found so far and it is easy,

It´s around tailbone. I also sometimes use a braided bun in the gym, but my hair always escapes it in the end. Damn Houdini hair. :D

Skade
May 2nd, 2014, 05:30 PM

I would suggest Jeterforks, for those who are interested in trying four prongs. They are just GREAT.
I haven't had any downsides from being long yet. A lot of things people are mentioning here, shedding, vacuum cleaner destruction, taking a long time to wash and eating tons of conditioner, taking long to dry--I've always had these issues just because I have thick hair, at whatever length. At shoulder length, my hair gets under my bagstraps and my husband manages to lie down on my hair when its loose when its APL. Maybe becasue being thick it spreads out? I don't know. But I keep reading the the threads like this one and the one of how you know you are a long hair and I 've always had a large percentage of the problems complained about, even though my hair has never been longer than BSL.
Having it longer makes it easier to put up, which makes it easier, so for me having longer hair is easier than short, no question.

You guys have enabled me. I just sent a custom request e-mail to Jeterforks... I need to stop buying hair toys... Just not right now..

NatNat
May 2nd, 2014, 05:43 PM
My hair is only APL and I find that my boyfriend is mean to it by mistake of course - like he will lay on it accidently or sometimes he pets my head too hard and it pulls my hair. Still love him though! (My cat steps on it lots too in the mornings while I'm still in bed - that means get up! lol)

Brattina88
May 2nd, 2014, 05:53 PM
I agree with so many of these lol, I won't repeat them...

I don't feel like my hair is even *that* long yet! but I hate that I have to get up way earlier on a wash day. Because the whole process takes so long lol

meteor
May 2nd, 2014, 06:48 PM
1) Tangles.All.The.Time.
2) I love long hair but it seems like a handicap for any sport other than chess. :)
3) I'm lucky if a standard bottle of conditioner lasts more than 4 washes.

A lazy wrap usually fly out quickly when I exercise :)
Have you tried a braided cinnabun, a braided nautilus bun, or a Chinese braided bun? Any braided style seems to hold significantly better than its unbraided version.

pinchbeck
May 2nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
Some past downfalls:

- Hair got caught in a toy helicopter and was wrapped around the propeller
- Hair got caught in a guy's leather jacket snap and I couldn't get it out
- Hair was completely matted from three burs that were placed in my hair as a joke
- Having it get stuck in my shower drain (despite using a hair catcher) and removing it with tweezers which results in a heap of hair and other gunk
- Cutting it out of the beater brush on my vacuum since the hair wraps and wraps around it

Kaelee
May 2nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
Drain clogs. If I didn't learn to do it myself, I'd have the plumber on speed dial.

ARG
May 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
^ This! When I had the epic post-partum shed, my husband was starting to get annoyed with it and I volunteered to shave my head. Obviously the pro's far outweigh the con's for him...

For me a downfall is the feeling I get when I hear a hair snap or my daughter pulls on my hair or it gets caught in something. I can't exactly describe that feeling, but its not good. When my hair was short I didn't care if it snapped, got tangled, caught, or something stuck to it.

Sammy-Catherine
May 2nd, 2014, 09:26 PM
I love my hair but...
It has killed one vaccume and maybe another may go soon.
I need to keep it up at work (a pizza place) in braids or buns not pony tails like all the other girls.
I now have nightmares about loosing/cutting my hair.
I wake up when I roll over to move my hair otherwise my hair tries to kill me
and it never feels long enough and at the same time too long.

bunnylake
May 3rd, 2014, 01:00 AM
For me the bad started to outweigh the good. Flat limp roots because of the weight, the upkeep, the tangles, stressing over the condition of the ends and the growth rate, etc. TBH being a "long hair" wasn't all that enjoyable for me after a while. So I cut it and I'm likely never going to grow it past APL or so again.
I LOVE super long hair... on you guys. ;)

Johannah
May 3rd, 2014, 03:50 AM
The only downfall for me is needing huge towels cause wet ends make me shiver when they touch my back :(

This is absolutely my biggest issue. :p

Skade
May 3rd, 2014, 05:29 AM
1) Tangles.All.The.Time.
2) I love long hair but it seems like a handicap for any sport other than chess. :)
3) I'm lucky if a standard bottle of conditioner lasts more than 4 washes.

I can sign up on all these three as well. And so many other downfalls that been mentioned. It´s a wonder we keep doing it.

Have you tried a braided cinnabun, a braided nautilus bun, or a Chinese braided bun? Any braided style seems to hold significantly better than its unbraided version.

Yes, I have, and braided cinnabun is actually one of the styles I frequently use in the gym. It´s pretty good. My houdini hair eventually escapes this as well. But then when the best is loose, at least it´s still in a braid :)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2014, 05:33 AM
I can't think of any major downfalls. Sometimes I get bored with it, but I know that it is so much more adaptable/flexible than short hair. When I get bored or feel like cutting, I know it is time to put it up and forget about it. And play with pretty hair toys.

Robot Ninja
May 3rd, 2014, 06:07 AM
Waiting for it to dry, having damp hair all over my back. I get cold.

Dying it is a pain, and of course I need way more dye than someone with short hair.

Buns get uncomfortable after a few hours, just from the weight of the bun.

Ambystoma
May 3rd, 2014, 06:15 PM
I need to keep it up at work (a pizza place) in braids or buns not pony tails like all the other girls.

I remember the last day I wore a ponytail to work - it was around waist length, and I also remember the last day I wore an unbunned braid too, somewhere just past hip :laugh:. At least from around tailbone onwards, comet buns (you can see a braided one here - https://365goodhairdays.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/day-14-braided-comet-bun/ ,you just tie a knot in your hair, secure it with a stick or spin pins and leave the tail loose) start looking really nice, so now I get a ponytail of sorts back again :D.

The worst thing for me about having this amount of length is that it's really impractical to leave it down to dry, but it takes 8+ hours to dry even loose, so bunned I'm looking at 24+ :justy:

Islandgrrl
May 3rd, 2014, 06:46 PM
Wait....there are downfalls?

MINAKO
May 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM
I've been thinking for days about something resasonable i could mention here, but there really isnt much. Sometimes my hair does get on my nerves because i'm lazy or impatient while detangling, washing, bunning... but that's clearly a downside to MYSELF and not the hair. The only thing i can think of is the amount of product im shelling out on. In my case having long hair is definitely much more expensive than lets say CBL, but then again i have never been broke just because i bought some products, so i guess its still ok to do so.

Pamala513
May 3rd, 2014, 07:08 PM
My hair isn't as long as most everyone's here. It is a few inches below bsl. But the worst trouble I have is my parrots getting their feet stuck in my hair as they perch on my shoulder whenever I am home. I have started to put it back into a loose ponytail when I get home because they get tangled in it and rips it..

cat11
May 3rd, 2014, 07:10 PM
The worst thing for me about having this amount of length is that it's really impractical to leave it down to dry, but it takes 8+ hours to dry even loose, so bunned I'm looking at 24+ :justy:

THIS. My hair is only a twerpy almost BSL and it took over 24 hours to dry this last time, because it's thick and holds in water. I can't imagine when it's classic, my goal. Thank God for acrylic hair sticks.

Crystawni
May 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
Living in the tropics, I also find my hair hot when it's down, and very hot when sleeping. But the upside is that I can put it up--unlike when it's shorter and just sticks to my neck. When it's wet, it's actually cooling as it cascades down my back. It still takes a long time to dry, though. I love having longer hair. More options, less "bad hair days" (well, for my wavy hair with cowlicks).

Bombadillo
May 3rd, 2014, 08:48 PM
I've seen a lot of mention of it taking a long time to dry. I notice that mine takes longer to dry as I get further away from (or closer to) a shampoo day. It's kind of a gage on how oily it's getting for me.

UltraBella
May 3rd, 2014, 11:20 PM
For me the bad started to outweigh the good. Flat limp roots because of the weight, the upkeep, the tangles, stressing over the condition of the ends and the growth rate, etc. TBH being a "long hair" wasn't all that enjoyable for me after a while. So I cut it and I'm likely never going to grow it past APL or so again.
I LOVE super long hair... on you guys. ;)

I'm with you ! I have zero desire for long hair. It was heavy, very hot and took forever to dry. I often felt like I was wearing a blanket down my back. I enjoy my shorter hair - APL currently - so much more !

CremeTron
May 10th, 2014, 04:08 AM
I will let you know when I get there...

Just kidding.

My hair is about an inch or two from APL so by no means long but already I find detangling a nuisance. It is more a curly thing, however If I was not trying to baby my ends, as it were, it would be quicker.

Also I hate the wet, shivery feeling of when I wash it and then apply products and wait for it to dry. Sometimes I put it up but then even two days later it will still be wet in parts.

For this reason I have tried all different products and tried to avoid gel because that horrible feeling while it waits to dry is just errrgh! But anything else and my hair ends up greasy or too floaty.

ashke50
May 10th, 2014, 04:15 AM
The worst thing about long hair for me is trying to keep it out of the sink when brushing my teeth! Even in my sleep plait it keeps trying to fall off my back and into the basin. It's almost like my hair wants to get toothpaste on it! And brushing my teeth with my hair loose is only possible if my husband is on hand to herd it back over my shoulder whenever it tries to escape.

höpönasu
May 10th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Yes, I worry about my ends too all the time. Seems like they're never happy, always dry and splitting. Also the agony of wanting to do something - for me it's a new hair cut - but not doing it because of losing length. The struggle is real...

CremeTron
May 10th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Yes, I worry about my ends too all the time. Seems like they're never happy, always dry and splitting. Also the agony of wanting to do something - for me it's a new hair cut - but not doing it because of losing length. The struggle is real...

heheh my son says this too, usually followed by "first world problems"!

LunaHuntress
May 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Yup, I've got the same problems that a lot of you have mentioned: tangles; catching in things like bra straps, seat belts, purse straps; the constant struggle to keep my hair out of the way when I brush my teeth; having to baby my ends to keep them from getting rough and splitting (a big problem for me since I dye my hair.) Also in summer I have to keep my hair up otherwise the added heat makes me crazy (though I appreciate the extra warmth in winter.) But for me the pleasures of having long silky hair to play around with outweighs the minor annoyances. :)

PrincessPhoebe
May 10th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Need to keep it up to protect the ends and so I don't obsess about splits....... But keep it up too much and get horribly painful neck. Sigh - just need to find the right balance :confused:

0xalis
May 10th, 2014, 03:12 PM
In my experiences the only UPSIDES to long hair are that it looks pretty, you can pull all of it up and out of the way, and you don't have to wash it as frequently.
However the "looking pretty" bit is usually what causes me to want to grow it out every time ;)

neko_kawaii
May 10th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Wait....there are downfalls?

Maybe they meant bun falls?

DreamWalker
May 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM
The biggest downfall for me is that it's heavy...and as it gets longer, I'm getting more headaches from it. That, and I keep getting stuck in things (I wear my hair in single or double braids pretty regularly). I've gotten stuck on my locker at school several times, as well as in car doors, in my violin while playing, clothes hangers, pens, etc. Not to mention it's quite the chore to wash. But I love the length too much to cut it :)

Sharysa
May 10th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Oh boy, I have the downfall trifecta of long, thick, and (borderline) wavy hair.

-Tangles. Even in a braid.
-It looks nice braided, but people (especially Mom) say it's boring.
-It looks nice down, but it tangles.
-Wind.
-I need to schedule things around wash days, which are thankfully only twice a week.
-Split ends.
-Doors. I haven't actually gotten it stuck in a door yet, but there were several close calls.
-Weight. Gods help me.
-Drying time. Even after towel-drying it in a turban, it still takes a few hours to a night to dry.

ExpectoPatronum
May 10th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I personally hate how my wet hair feels on my back immediately after stepping out of a shower. It never really bothered me until it reached MBL when wet.

Drying time too...My hair takes hours upon hours to dry.

Other than that, my hair is usually in a braid of some sort so I don't have a problem with it getting caught in anything...yet.

memeow
May 10th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Shed hair. In the sink, making tumbleweeds on the bathroom floor, coming out in the shower, stuck on my fleece, and worst of all, pulling shed hairs out of my butt crack/crotch after every shower.

Still want it longer though :)

Jumper
May 10th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Umm... downfalls... That I spend too much money since finding this forum? I have developed both a "hair toy" and "hair products" problem in the past few months.

I bought more shampoo and conditioner today. This madness is getting out of hand.

MungoMania
May 11th, 2014, 12:46 AM
The amount of time it takes to air dry. All the hair vitamins I take for it cost $$$. I do have shedded hair on the carpets though I don't shed much anymore, but with a light colored carpet it shows. Tangling in the wind and the way it blows into my lip gloss on a windy day.

The pluses still outweigh the negatives for me though. I love my longer hair and I won't do more than trim it.

Olavi
May 11th, 2014, 02:53 AM
My hair is not even that long, and there's already downfalls. My hair is EVERYWHERE. No matter if it still attached in my head or not. I need to vacuum clean often, 'cause my shed hair will cover the floors. There's always hair on my clothes (one hair somehow managed to get THROUGH the fabric). I'm kind of dating a guy with short beard, and my hair always get stuck in his beard or under him of we are laying side by side.

Tangles.

There's so much hair I still can't do most updos with it, not even nice braid, and I'm bored of pony tails.

pes3108
May 11th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Vacuuming! I have had to replace the belt and rotating thing in my vacuum because so much hair got wrapped around it and the thing couldn't move and the friction made it catch on fire.

That and hair EVERYWHERE. In my laundry, my shower, my sink, etc.

queenovnight
May 11th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Downfall.. Hm. For me, the downfall is having all this hair and not being able to wear it down (not for long anyways.) When my hair was short, I could wear is down constantly.. but now, as soon as a wind gust hits, my hair turns into a nest of sorts and gets these awful tiny knots.

It's funny because I always wondered "Why do long haired folk never wear their hair down?" Ha! I get it now.

veryhairyfairy
May 11th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Hah, for me, the downfalls of long hair are MUCH less problematic than the downfalls of short hair! :lol:
Here's my top four:
1. Sheds! I shed a lot as a shorty, too, but these long ones seems to be capable of motion and sentient thought! My dude found one in his wallet recently!
2. Washing and drying! It's an all day affair (okay, not really, but it does take a lot longer than it did when I had short hair).
3. Wearing it down!!! This is one I haven't done regularly since BSL, so maybe I just don't know how to deal with it, but it really does seem to get everywhere and into everything when it's down! My hair is like a little monkey; it just wants to grab and touch everything! :lol:
4. Mindfullness of damage. Now this one I don't mind too much because I don't like doing damaging practices anyway (changing hair color often, heat styling, wearing it down, etc) but I can see how other people would find it limiting. I do find it a bit frustrating trying to detangle gently all of the time, but it's really only a few extra minutes of my time. :shrug:

For me, though, it's a no brainer because the only upside to shorter hair vs longer hair (for me personally, obviously) is that I can do whatever I want to it without worry of damage because of frequent trims to keep it short.

patienceneeded
May 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I like it too much to be bothered by any downfalls. For me, any annoyances are totally worth it. I hated my hair when it was short. It's finally starting to seem long (almost hip) and I am enjoying it much more now.

I'm one of those people who got curious about terminal...I plan on growing until I either find out or I start to hate it again. If I hate my hair I will cut it back to the longest place where I still loved it.

kyle_f
May 15th, 2014, 02:56 PM
With a buzz cut I could just roll out of bed and go, or at least not have to worry about it post shower. Not an option now and it adds significant time in the morning. Also I now hate the wind and rain.

mira-chan
May 15th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Shed hairs eaten by cats = running around after the cat to remove poop dangley....

Hele
May 15th, 2014, 03:41 PM
^^i think you just made me happy that my hair eating cat just throws up periodically! :D

i can't come up with anything that hasn't been mentioned yet, and i have to agree with the "hair everywhere" comments. I have found my shed hairs in the back of the freezer...how does this happen??

Kherome
May 15th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Ok, I'm just gonna say it...shower butt crack hairs.

mira-chan
May 15th, 2014, 05:52 PM
^^i think you just made me happy that my hair eating cat just throws up periodically! :D

i can't come up with anything that hasn't been mentioned yet, and i have to agree with the "hair everywhere" comments. I have found my shed hairs in the back of the freezer...how does this happen??

You're welcome. :D I have two cats that do it, one requires less chancing than the other. Though the less speedy one likes to climb on DHs chest and stick his butt in his face. Yea... that + dangly happened once. shudder::scared:

ETA: To shower butt hairs... happen to DH with my hairs. I don't know how.

Kherome
May 16th, 2014, 06:22 AM
No one knows! Long hairs are definitely attracted to butt cracks though!

longmane
January 1st, 2024, 02:09 PM
i dread washing it when it's long

longmane
January 1st, 2024, 02:36 PM
i dread washing it when it's long

My "everything" wash routine takes too long.

Bat
January 1st, 2024, 03:13 PM
It takes forever to grow!

foreveryours
January 1st, 2024, 05:43 PM
Having to wrap it and wear it up everyday. A morning ritual.

spirals
January 2nd, 2024, 02:26 AM
I have found my shed hairs in the back of the freezer...how does this happen??Yup. Or wrapped around the milk jug. Sometimes in the garbage disposal in the sink....

Sarahlabyrinth
January 2nd, 2024, 04:25 AM
Shed hair everywhere :laugh:

LongLocke
January 2nd, 2024, 05:46 AM
Shed hair everywhere :laugh:

I swear I'm going to have to get a higher power vacuum cleaner soon Between my wife and I, I can find a lot of hair buried in the carpeting of our bedroom

Sarahlabyrinth
January 2nd, 2024, 06:00 AM
I swear I'm going to have to get a higher power vacuum cleaner soon Between my wife and I, I can find a lot of hair buried in the carpeting of our bedroom

Luckily our floors are wooden and easy to remove the hair from, but it's neverending!

fairy_hair
January 2nd, 2024, 06:31 AM
Now, I grew my hair to thigh length before and the reason I cut my hair that I found difficult was something that I believe I have now solved! I had no other updo options that I could do than a braid clipped around into a bun. This didn't take too long, but it wasn't as convenient and fast as a ponytail. Now however, I have managed to learn a 5 second bun using one scrunchie. I would never cut my hair now. Find yourself an extremely fast few buns you can easily do. Mine include my signature scrunchie bun, a braided version of that for extra security, and a claw clip twisted bun. If I knew these few fast and protective buns before, I'm sure I would not have cut my hair.

SandyBottom
January 5th, 2024, 05:10 PM
So far, it's never long enough.

angel-baby
January 8th, 2024, 10:30 AM
I was in pole class yesterday practicing a trick where I was hanging upside down and had to "swim" my arm back and grip the pole behind me and over my head -it took the longest time to find it through my hair! It's a good problem to have

Arwen17
January 9th, 2024, 07:28 PM
I think mid-back hair is probably the "sweet spot" for length. It's long enough you can easily pull it back, but not so long it causes all the problems you have with tailbone length hair.

Washing tailbone-length-or-longer hair is a whole ordeal. So is drying it because it takes forever. And brushing it takes awhile because it tangles so much.
You have to keep it always tied up in a lot of cases, especially for sports. I keep it tied up during sports, and often when eating just because I want to eat quickly and not have my hair fall forward in my food, nor sit on my hair by accident.
You're constantly maneuvering it around like it's a horse tail so it doesn't get caught on doors or underneath someone else sitting down.
In the shower, I have to maneuver it so I can shave my legs without it getting in the way when it is classic length.

Classic length is more work than tailbone length because you will definitely sit on it, definitely be in the way of leg shaving and definitely be pulling it out of your butt crack at times.

I regularly clean the hair catcher in my shower and regularly clean the beater bar on my sweeper. I've never had any issues with my plumbing or sweeper since I've always maintained this stuff.

My dog tries to eat my hair strands out of the trash can after I've brushed my hair. Weirdo. She also tries to eat her own nail clippings and my other dog's poop and rabbit poop from the wild in the backyard. So I know she's just gross.