View Full Version : Who Has Inspired You To Grow Long Hair?

Dark40
April 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Hi everyone!

I have a question to ask. Who has inspired you to grow long hair?

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I am not long, just beginning..but mine is...
Every stylist who ever ruined my hair and planted doubt that dyed hair cannot look healthy or nice. Every stylist who cut my hair short or butchered a cut when I only wanted a small trim.

I am going to do it to take back that emotional power I gave when getting upset over salon incidents. I decided to grow and color on my own recently. I am tired of leaving my wishes in other people's hands. This inspires me to grow my hair out to prove to myself I can.

divinedobbie
April 30th, 2014, 11:52 PM
My grandma inspired me. She had very long hair (the longest I'd seen in real life), about classic length. She always wore it up in these really pretty buns. Whenever I thought of her, I pictured her with beautiful long grey hair.

And then she got a brain tumour and had to have surgery. They shaved all her hair off and it was really hard on her. That inspired me to grow my own hair out, I wanted people to think of me as the girl with long hair when they thought of me.

As a side note, she is doing ok now and her hair has grown out to her collarbone.

PraiseCheeses
April 30th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I've posted this before in similar threads, but it's worth saying again - I was inspired by several of the signature pictures of members here, after someone on another site mentioned how lovely everyone's hair was and they'd love to know how the LHC members managed it. As soon as I came here and saw a few pictures of members' hair, I realized I would not be experimenting with shorter styles for a very, very long time - if ever. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 1st, 2014, 01:05 AM
I was inspired by the hair of the character "Sarah" in the movie "Labyrinth", I thought it was so beautiful, glossy, and long. (Yes, I know my hair isn't like hers at all).
Also my grandmother was my inspiration, though she died before I was born. My father used to tell me how she always had such glorious long hair, "long enough to sit on", he used to tell me. So to honour her I would like to see if my hair genes will allow me to have my hair "long enough to sit on", like her. So I am aiming for Classic.

martyna_22
May 1st, 2014, 01:08 AM
After a bad cut I decided that it was the last time my hair is that short (chin - didn't suit me at all). I wanted to grow my hair back as soon as possible, so I started looking for soultions on the Internet and I stumbled upon the LHC :)
I saw so many inspiring pictures here, as well as videos on youtube, that I decided to join and grow. I'm not trying to get my hair super-long, just long enough for me :) LHC users keep me inspired :)

jacqueline101
May 1st, 2014, 01:55 AM
I never really had anyone who inspired me just me. I'm growing mine long because I want to.

Marika
May 1st, 2014, 03:00 AM
I never really had anyone who inspired me just me. I'm growing mine long because I want to.

Me too. Of course I'm inspired by all the lovely people here on this forum now but pre-LHC it was just me. I wish I had someone IRL who would have at least a little bit interest in growing hair :violin:

Natalia
May 1st, 2014, 03:05 AM
Well i gre up watching boy meets world so TOPANGA! But i was also fairly obsessed with Disney Princess Jasmine :)

Ciridae
May 1st, 2014, 04:09 AM
My hair was about shoulder length and destroyed by dye and bad hair habits in 2010. On my way to the lakes district on New Zealand's South Island with my husband once, we stopped by a gas station along the way in a tiny little town. The lovely lady who served us had the most gorgeous silvered hair I had ever seen in my life. Her braid was fixed with a paranda, and I couldn't tell how long it it loose, but the braid itself reached well below TB and was thick all the way to the end. She was such a lovely, serene looking lady and I thought to myself, if only I could age so beautifully I would be truly blessed. Haven't had much more than a trim since then. :)

clioariane
May 1st, 2014, 04:37 AM
My mother has had waist+ long hair for as long as I remember, so that has definitely inspired me.

jacqueline101
May 1st, 2014, 06:28 AM
Me too. Of course I'm inspired by all the lovely people here on this forum now but pre-LHC it was just me. I wish I had someone IRL who would have at least a little bit interest in growing hair :violin:

I figured it this way I have to be the one who wants long hair in order for it to work. Yes there are a lot of pretty haired people on here. I wish my hair was what others remember me by and created artwork for. Oh well I'm happy being me.

Angela_Rose
May 1st, 2014, 07:43 AM
Um... Crystal Gayle.

Big country music household here and when I was a little girl I always wanted hair like hers. Now, I'm getting there! I'm not aiming for floor-length nowadays, just knee, but my hair is long and thick and healthy, so I think I'm right on track.

SunnyIC
May 1st, 2014, 07:52 AM
To me it was my aunt, since I remember she always had really long hair (about classic length, now waist) and I always thought it was so pretty. My mother also had really long hair (hip length) when my older brother was a little boy, then she cut it months after I was born, when I look at pictures of her hair I want it. :) I guess I want to look like my relatives in their youth and just see how long my hair can get.

Stray_mind
May 1st, 2014, 07:58 AM
Laziness :D I was too lazy to cut it and it grew to MBL. And i thought it suited me better than being short haired, so i'm going back to long hair.

blue_eyes
May 1st, 2014, 08:15 AM
I don't know who really inspired me to grow my hair long, I've just been daydreaming about it for as long as I can remember. I do remember one time at school, when I was in kindergarten or grade 1, we had a student teacher and her hair was very long. I'd say either classic length or down to her knees, and red (now that I think of it, she may have been using henna). It made such an impression on me that I remember it to this day. I remember telling her "I want to grow my hair long like yours!".

My bf has been a huge supporter of me growing my hair long. My goal is WL but he's trying to convince me to grow it to hip, haha. I wouldn't say he's an inspiration, but his support definitely helps keep me going/growing.

neko_kawaii
May 1st, 2014, 08:23 AM
The twins Laziness and Frugality and their friend Curiosity.

Rosa Harris
May 1st, 2014, 09:06 AM
My son. He grew the most awesome hair I have ever seen. When he was little he was afraid of trimmers and scissors. He had this idea that his ear would get cut off and would go into a panic if you tried to get near him - not a tantrum but outright panic so I gave up on the idea and just let it grow. And grow it did. he did not get it cut till this year at 23. I was so sad to see it go but no one down here would hire him with his glorious super thick golden-red thigh length perfect ringlet curls. In fact he is the one that taught me that I was doing hair all wrong and encouraged me to leave it be. He only washed his mane (he's a leo) once a month and never used anything but his fingers to comb. That was reall all he did to it other than werring it in the morning in the shower to tame it.

Syren_Curls
May 1st, 2014, 07:51 PM
This picture (http://toolonginthisplace.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/keri_russell_1.jpg) of Keri Russell, even though I think my curls are different. Also, an ex-bf cheated on me and told me the woman had dreads down to her @$$ and I was curious about that on me (since I figured it would be much better on me, lol). So I aimed for TBL and have loved long, curly hair for me.

Aderyn
May 1st, 2014, 08:05 PM
I don't know that I'd say anyone has inspired me, I'd be growing my hair long with or without them just because I like the look.

Though, I will say those that I admire would be my grandmother, who has had waist-length+ hair for as long as I can remember, a few people I've known in real life, elves from LotR, Lucy (bishonenrancher) from YouTube, TorrinPaige (YouTube), Naptural85 (YouTube) and just generally a lot of people here.

It's not just the hair, though, but rather the way a lot of people carry themselves that I find admirable, the long hair is just an added feature to admire. I wouldn't find someone who had a nasty attitude, even with the most beautiful hair, to be an inspiration.

vindo
May 1st, 2014, 08:26 PM
I was always discouraged from long hair, so the way it happened to grow longer is pretty funny :p

1. In 2002 I got a bad, bad, way to choppy bob hair cut. After I avoided the salon like the pest and grew it.

2. It had gotten past shoulders when I attended my first Medieval Fair. I received plenty of hair compliments, something that had never happened and I was told I should grow it longer. So I decided to keep growing as long as it is healthy.

3. Already past waist length and still healthy, but very layered and tapered, I wasn't sure what to do with it and googled "long hair style", which made me find LHC. As soon as I saw a few pictures of really long hair I wanted to grow mine longer!

My biggest day to day motivations nowadays are:

- The nostalgic beauty of women's long hair in past Eras and the Middle Ages...it is like, I just NEED Medieval hair :lol:
- Metal, I listen to Folk, Black and some Death Metal and headbanging is SO much better with very long hair. I feel "epic" haha.
- My old pictures and Videos really want me to go back to very long, shed free, very healthy hair. It isn't horrible now, but nothing like it used to be (though improving over the past years)

BrendaLoan
May 1st, 2014, 08:35 PM
Emichiee, just wanted you to know that I'm a fan! I've read your blog and I'm planning on doing some microtrimming as soon as I reach classic, your progress and amazing hair have been an inspiration this whole time :flower:

Rosa Harris
May 1st, 2014, 08:56 PM
I look like a terrible dork here but this is my son Mal with me - that is his lion's mane - I don't have any recent pictures of it because I never thougt to take him from the back and he always kept it behind him.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/14105886023_f0199661ba_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nuumtr)malhair (https://flic.kr/p/nuumtr) by rosarl13 (https://www.flickr.com/people/121893704@N04/), on Flickr

HintOfMint
May 1st, 2014, 09:09 PM
I had already begun my long hair growing in earnest for years, but I decided to grow longer to classic after a fling with a very unconventional man. He himself kept his hair long and in dreadlocks, not caring how others viewed his style, and he was wonderfully carefree in that regard. I had held off from actively growing my hair to classic because I was afraid it would stand out too much, but after our fling, I'm not really afraid of such things anymore.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 2nd, 2014, 01:53 AM
This:

www.youtube.com/embed/WVuU-X-iga

And recently this:

www.youtube.com/embed/g3oj6PVI0fg

ETA: I just cannot embed these videos, sorry ^^;

eadwine
May 2nd, 2014, 01:55 AM
No one inspired me. I wanted it and decided to go for it. Never regretted the decision and wish I'd started when I was younger but oh well :)

Rosa Harris
May 2nd, 2014, 03:09 AM
No one inspired me. I wanted it and decided to go for it. Never regretted the decision and wish I'd started when I was younger but oh well :)

Really this is closer to my truth - my son just convinced me it was possible, taught me what I was doing wrong and encouraged me to go for it and stop listening to everyone else - if it was what I wanted.

momschicklets
May 2nd, 2014, 05:53 AM
For me it's actually my husband that has inspired me :crush: He really, really loves very long hair and I will never forget the look on his face when I came home with it short :shudder: I didn't give him a heads up at all that I was planning to cut my hair so for him it really came out of left field. He never made me feel badly about it or said anything negative about the cut, but since I don't have a super strong preference either way I don't mind growing it back and making him happy in this way. Last night he gave me a compliment (I think LOL) when he said, "I like your hair...it's fluffy and wide." :lol::lol:

lapushka
May 2nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
When I was 6 the kids in my class with long hair (but they had about BSL hair and I wanted hair to my butt). Where it actually came from, no one knows, but I wanted long hair. This time around (I'm over 40 and it started in my thirties), I guess it's my great grandma that provides inspiration. My mom always admired the fact that she could just throw her hair into a bun "justlikethat". And boy she had about FTL all white hair.

DancingQueen
May 2nd, 2014, 07:31 AM
Well, I was 17, and my hairdresser had just cut my hair to my chin (while straightened, which meant that it was even shorter curly). So I was kind of upset, and hated my new appearance. I knew I wanted to grow it back out to shoulder.

One day, I was browsing youtube, and found one of torrinpaiges videos, and I decided I wanted her hair. :P So my new dream was hip-length, even though it is taking me forever to get there. A few months later, I discovered LHC. I actually think she actually talked about it in one of her videos, that is how I found it. :)

Agnes Hannah
May 2nd, 2014, 12:17 PM
When I was younger, Crystal Gayle and my drama teacher. When I reached my thirties, my great grandmother. Today, you guys!

Redvelvetdragon
May 2nd, 2014, 12:59 PM
My Mom. While I was growing up her longest was about Waist length. Jet black. I remember Grandma and I would comb and braid it for her. My mother maintained longish hair till the day she died. It was just past shoulder length at that point. People admired it.

I never knew my grandmother while she had long hair, only short hair, but when my mom was a girl Grandma had auburn hair passed her ankles. I have a photo somewhere hidden. I need to find it.

Decemberrose
May 2nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
My sister and I had always had long hair in our adult years, because my mom didn't want the fuss with it as we were kids.
She is my inspiration, now that I had to cut mine short because of damage.

I also get inspired by Amy Lee (from Evanescence) and Sarah Brightman, really love those women.
It (their hair) looks fantastic on stage flowing around, so dreamy... Mmmmm.... :)
And I can't really pul off the gothic look without long hair anymore, or that may just be me feeling that I can't.

blue_eyes
May 2nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
I also get inspired by Amy Lee (from Evanescence)

Amy Lee's hair has been a big inspiration for me too, but I suddenly recalled what inspired me to grow my hair long: Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn in The Tudors. The most gorgeous hair I'd ever seen in my life (sadly she used extensions, but I can still try haha).

MINAKO
May 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
I had waistlength hair before, but never wore it down due to the lac of knowledge how to work with my texture. Some hairdresser effed it up big time with a thioglycolate permanent straightening system. Result was that it fell out like crazy and i had to cut it all off to chinlength. That was when i decided to never let any any hairdressed touch my head again and take things about healthy hair into my own hands. At first i didnt even think it would ever grow back to where it was or beyong, but i found so much help information that any problem i previously had could kind of be solved and i just kept the length with occasional trims o my end will stay in great condition.
Certain people on this forum and elsewhere on the internet have been a great inspiration. I'm shooting for classic now because i think anything longer would look to heavy on me and would mess up my routine, gotta see if this will be my happy spot.

cat11
May 2nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3uvkltIcR1qashiq.jpg

I know its probably fake....whatever....

woodswanderer
May 2nd, 2014, 03:01 PM
Dunno...no one else in my family or friend circle has long hair.

meteor
May 2nd, 2014, 06:10 PM
I don't know that I'd say anyone has inspired me, I'd be growing my hair long with or without them just because I like the look.
This^.
I had pretty long hair as a kid/teenager and it was easy, but the LHC inspired me to try and figure out my terminal length and taught me that you don't have to keep your hair chopped to BSL or shorter after reaching adulthood. :)

darklyndsea
May 2nd, 2014, 06:29 PM
Pretty much every person who ever cut my hair. Because somehow I tend to get the scissors-happy ones.

Wisteria
May 2nd, 2014, 07:02 PM
Amy Lee was my first inspiration to grow long hair. She is also the reason I got my hair layered. The first was a good thing, the second, not so much.

My other inspirations are Tarja Turunen and Simone Simons. I just love how they swing their hair onstage. Thinking about it though, the knots and tangles they must get. Ouch.

queenieheather
May 3rd, 2014, 01:50 AM
My grandma inspired me too. She always loved my long hair, which was about bsl to waist when I was a child. When I was about 8 I begged my grandma to grow her hair long like mine... and she did! To a little past apl. But she also kept the top of her head short and curled/permed. I was an older teenager when I realized I was reponsible for one of the most epic mullets in the world :)

Autumn_Fairy
May 3rd, 2014, 02:20 AM
Amy Lee was my first inspiration to grow long hair. She is also the reason I got my hair layered. The first was a good thing, the second, not so much.

My other inspirations are Tarja Turunen and Simone Simons. I just love how they swing their hair onstage. Thinking about it though, the knots and tangles they must get. Ouch.

Oh, I <3 Tarja!

Their hair may not tangle so bad, though. I've been pretty wild with my own hair in the past and I only ever remember grumbling about the smell of smoke (when I frequented goth clubs in the past), not about tangles. I rarely have any issue with tangles unless Ive been out in a wicked crazy multi directional wind. Some of us are lucky, and Im super grateful that Im one of them. :p

vindo
May 4th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Emichiee, just wanted you to know that I'm a fan! I've read your blog and I'm planning on doing some microtrimming as soon as I reach classic, your progress and amazing hair have been an inspiration this whole time :flower:

Thank you! :o Always glad to her that it helped! I wish you much success with your trimming! :flower:

mary*rose
May 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I don't quite remember exactly where I got the thought that I wanted long hair... My mother has a picture of me in my communion dress, and my hair is TBL in it; growing up, that was SO long for me and I wanted it back so badly x) One day in Girl Scout camp, someone commented that my hair was so long and beautiful...and I thought really? It's not that long...then somehow I stumbled onto lhc and decided I wanted princess hair :) So I guess my inspiration was myself...

Loviatar
May 4th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I could sit on my hair til I was nine, so that's probably part of it. I've spent many years taking my issues out on my hair so it's good now that I'm trying benign neglect.

I wasn't inspired to grow by anyone particularly, but a lot of the Indian girls at my dad's school had amazing long thick hair, which I remember from childhood.

I also now do Larp, and short hair just doesn't work for me playing an ancient Celtic warrior woman! My current costume has a hood/nuns head covering so my hair isn't an issue with this character.

Finally I also feel more feminine with long hair personally. Mind you my friend Harry has a pixie and is as feminine as they come, so it's all relative!

Johannah
May 4th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Drew Barrymore from Ever After: Cinderella Story. Oh my gosh, her hair is so perfect.

Othala
May 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Lord Shiva and Goddess Kali. Great long-haired role models!

Jonquil
May 4th, 2014, 01:37 PM
It might sound weird but my inspiration to start growing my hair again came from seeing a few women with really beautiful long hair in class and while I was out shopping once.
One day I was sitting in lecture when I noticed that the girl sitting in front of me had hair that made me very, very envious. She was East Indian and her hair was super thick, wavy and ridiculously shiny. There were no split ends in sight. I felt like such an ugly little mouse next to her and decided to take better care of my hair from that point on.
Before that I had seen a woman with the same amazing hair walking on the street in front of me. She had very thick, shiny waist length black hair with perfect ends and it just seemed to bounce behind her as she walked. Needless to say I was very inspired!

Other than that, the women on my mom's side of the family all had very thick, long hair in their youth. I came by some old pictures of them a few days ago. My great aunt had a tailbone length braid that was about twice as thick as my ponytail at the end :o. I wish I had gotten that good hair gene!

Verdandi
May 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I could sit on my hair til I was nine, so that's probably part of it. I've spent many years taking my issues out on my hair so it's good now that I'm trying benign neglect.

I wasn't inspired to grow by anyone particularly, but a lot of the Indian girls at my dad's school had amazing long thick hair, which I remember from childhood.

I also now do Larp, and short hair just doesn't work for me playing an ancient Celtic warrior woman! My current costume has a hood/nuns head covering so my hair isn't an issue with this character.

Finally I also feel more feminine with long hair personally. Mind you my friend Harry has a pixie and is as feminine as they come, so it's all relative!

Larp was a big reason for me to grow mine too! I had almost waist length virgin hair and never thought about it until I cut a bob and dyed it red and realized I had to hide it under head coverings or play not-so-feminine characters (which I usually do anyway, I play all kinds of warrior-thingies in heavy armour but I like to have the choice).

Another reason is to prove my mother and my old hair stylist wrong. My mom said my hair was boring when it was long and that I looked best in short styles with bangs, and my hairstylist told me I wouldn't be able to get past waist. I also always wanted hair to my butt as a child, so I'm here trying to achive my childhood dreams :)

I guess it was childhood me, my mom and my old stylist that inspired me.

NikitaRM
May 4th, 2014, 02:47 PM
My younger niece and pocahontas ;)

chen bao jun
May 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Also my grandmother was my inspiration, though she died before I was born. My father used to tell me how she always had such glorious long hair, "long enough to sit on", he used to tell me. So to honour her I would like to see if my hair genes will allow me to have my hair "long enough to sit on", like her. So I am aiming for Classic.

I would hear as a child all the time about my grandmother back in our home country (never met her until years later when I was adult and she was very old) who had hair 'long enough to sit on'. It made her sound so special and I didn't know anybody with hair that long. I didn't dare hope for it then as I was having all kinds of trouble with my hair (my mom didn't know how to care for it) and I thought bra strap was my personal terminal length.
Every t ime I saw someone in real life though with waist length hair, I would admire it and sort of wish I could manage that, too.
Fast forward to Easter 2012. I went to visit my second cousin and she had gorgeous natural hair --it was only to her bra strap but it was much like mine used to be before messing it with it. At that time, i was wearing 'braidouts' that looked cute enough, but my hair was dryer and dryer and felt just awful and kept getting shorter and shorter. But I thought that was the only way to have 'natural' african type hair. I thought it was either that or flatironing or perming straight, I really did. All the gurus on youtube and elsewhere always talked about braidouts and twistouts and that was it. Anyway, seeing my second cousin, I thought, I at least want that much hair back again, and for it to be healthy. And when I googled around, I found this site and also Teri LaFlesh's tightlycurly.com. I decided to try Teri's method (with some slight changes) and hang around here for inspiration especially once I joined and posted and everyone was so friendly and helpful. And my hair kept getting healthier and healthier and started growing faster than I ever remembered, after not growing at all, but breaking off shorter and shorter for about 7 years.
So then I started to think, wouldn't it be cool if I could sit on my hair like Granny after all...
I don't know if that will happen, but my hair is now as long as my second cousin's, or even a little longer, in really good condition, and I am trying to spread the word that while braidouts make work for some, they are a LOT of manipulation and not the only option for natural African type curly hair. Buns can work, too! (and are working really great for me).

Wisteria
May 4th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Oh, I <3 Tarja!

Their hair may not tangle so bad, though. I've been pretty wild with my own hair in the past and I only ever remember grumbling about the smell of smoke (when I frequented goth clubs in the past), not about tangles. I rarely have any issue with tangles unless Ive been out in a wicked crazy multi directional wind. Some of us are lucky, and Im super grateful that Im one of them. :p

Yeah! Tarja is awesome! Go Tarja! I just found out I've been saying her name wrong all these years. :blushing:

Lucky is exactly the word I would use. :D I was assuming their hair can be as crazy as mine, even with 'cones my hair still manages to tangle in a ponytail. Also, I've never thought about the smell of smoke getting into hair. Not good.

Another inspiration! An old friend called me not too long ago to catch up. I found out she has tailbone length hair. The hair envy I felt!

BonnieU
May 4th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I had bsl hair which I regrettably cut off to sl...yikes! I eventually cut it even shorter (nape) off and on until one of my best friends (also a co-worker) had decided to go all natural and give up highlights...it was very well into her journey (now bsl from sl) that she and I began to delve into hair care and her reasons for growing her highlights out. It was within these conversations that I was inspired to grow grow grow! She has always, even before her own hair epiphany, been uber supportive of my curlies. I have her to thank for my healthy happy growing towards waist, hair :)

Emmental
May 4th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Honestly, I grow my hair out to donate it. There are some components of laziness and motherhood in there, too, but when I want to chop it off, I remember that I need at least 8" of hair.

I think my hair is the most manageable and looks the best a few inches below my shoulders.

Ashflower89
May 4th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I've been stuck in a collarbone-pixie-collarbone-pixie cycle most of my life... haven't seen my hair past collarbone since I was 12 (I'm 25). I'm currently just above shoulder, and my boyfriend says he prefers my pixie. But maybe I can get him to change his mind if I can go longer.

People that inspire me to finally pass collarbone and hit my goal of waist length are mermaids, Taylor Swift (we share the same hair color/wurls), and you lovely people here at LHC =D

Imalath
May 4th, 2014, 07:41 PM
My mother...she had calf-length hair as a teenager and through my childhood she was always cycling somewhere between shoulder and waist. I can remember loving the look of it long, and the look of her braids in old pictures, so I am growing mine out to match. I wore my hair down in front of her a few weeks ago, and now she's growing hers again too. :)

Dark40
May 4th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Thank you all for all of your replies. Who inspires me to grow my hair long is the long time country singer Crystal Gayle. I have admired her ankle length hair for many years!! My aunt also inspires me as well. Her hair isn't long now but I've heard stories from other family members that before I was born she used to have hair to her thighs. But these days she is always cutting it.

YvetteVarie
May 5th, 2014, 01:39 AM
My inspiration is Amy Lee (Evanescence). I love the thickness and length of her hair. I am also inspired to grow past BSL because its unusual where I live. The longest length I have seen anyone (of my ethnicity) with is APL, and I want something longer so they just stare. Yes, I am an attention hog I know

Symphony
May 5th, 2014, 05:16 AM
I was inspired by 3 people... Unfortunately they are NOT my hair type... but I still dream!!

Tathariel http://25.media.tumblr.com/cb10ec94d5a7cb25349d77f9f8126c0a/tumblr_mtnnm6PhAX1qgheavo1_500.jpg

The Viking Queen http://thevikingqueen.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/blog1.jpg

Mahafsoun http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/178/9/0/stock___gothic_senses_by_mahafsoun-d550wv0.jpg

chen bao jun
May 5th, 2014, 05:48 AM
You can do it, YvetteVarie! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

My inspiration is Amy Lee (Evanescence). I love the thickness and length of her hair. I am also inspired to grow past BSL because its unusual where I live. The longest length I have seen anyone (of my ethnicity) with is APL, and I want something longer so they just stare. Yes, I am an attention hog I know

MaryO
May 5th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Visually- everyone whose hair is longer than mine on this board. I'm easy like that! ;-) Mentally- my mother and sister (and sort of society as a whole) who says your hair should be getting shorter as you get older. :-0

Wisteria
May 5th, 2014, 08:46 AM
My mother...she had calf-length hair as a teenager and through my childhood she was always cycling somewhere between shoulder and waist. I can remember loving the look of it long, and the look of her braids in old pictures, so I am growing mine out to match. I wore my hair down in front of her a few weeks ago, and now she's growing hers again too. :)
Wow, your mom's hair and the face that your both growing out your hair. That's awesome. Good luck to you both!

cat-lady
May 5th, 2014, 10:18 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Imalath
May 5th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Wow, your mom's hair and the face that your both growing out your hair. That's awesome. Good luck to you both!

Thank you! She still finds some of the things I do--or don't do--to my hair kind of strange, but you can't argue with results :)

Monsoonu
May 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM
My mother - for always insisting i have short hair!

mary*rose
May 5th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Drew Barrymore from Ever After: Cinderella Story. Oh my gosh, her hair is so perfect.

SO. TRUE. I mean, Drew Barrymore in general is just perfect...

Hairitic
May 5th, 2014, 05:33 PM
It's a family tradition. At least one woman (on my mother's side) in each generation has had longer hair, worn in a bun, into old age. There was my grandmother, my aunt Evelyn and now, me. :p

DweamGoiL
May 5th, 2014, 06:55 PM
My grandmother; she had long hair until the day she died at 92.

alessandraa
May 9th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I look bad with short hair, period.

Scarlet_Heart
May 9th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Winnie Cooper (from The Wonder Years). There were many after that. But she was the first long haired girl that I noticed. Back in the day when I was... 9?

MadeiraD
May 9th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Crystal Gayle, and also my husband

Sharysa
May 9th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I was inspired by the hair of the character "Sarah" in the movie "Labyrinth", I thought it was so beautiful, glossy, and long. (Yes, I know my hair isn't like hers at all).

Jennifer Connelly does have gorgeous hair! It's technically only midback, but I'm so glad she didn't try to dye it or give into the Celebrity Hairstyling(TM).

As for myself, I got inspired to grow my hair by watching Spring Awakening and noticing Lauren Pritchard's fantastically wild waist/hip-length hair. Then I auditioned for Spring Awakening at my community theater and decided to keep my hair long.